Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Road Repair Gang Prog on TV (OT)

I was bemused watching a gang reparing the edges of a country road. There
were no kerbs and no drains. They dug out some of the subsided tarmac and
replaced it. A total waste of materials as it will merely migrate into the
soft verges. We have some well used lanes nearby where the edges are always
in need of repair - but without drains and kurbs I feel it is fruitless.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:

I was bemused watching a gang reparing the edges of a country road. There
were no kerbs and no drains. They dug out some of the subsided tarmac and
replaced it. A total waste of materials as it will merely migrate into the
soft verges. We have some well used lanes nearby where the edges are always
in need of repair - but without drains and kurbs I feel it is fruitless.

So, how much are you proposing to allocate to improve this class
of road, and what is the break-even point?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , DerbyBorn
wrote:
I was bemused watching a gang reparing the edges of a country road. There
were no kerbs and no drains. They dug out some of the subsided tarmac
and replaced it. A total waste of materials as it will merely migrate
into the soft verges. We have some well used lanes nearby where the
edges are always in need of repair - but without drains and kurbs I feel
it is fruitless.

nothing new, I saw that technique in the Highlands of Scotland 50* years
ago.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris J Dixon wrote in
:

DerbyBorn wrote:

I was bemused watching a gang reparing the edges of a country road.
There were no kerbs and no drains. They dug out some of the subsided
tarmac and replaced it. A total waste of materials as it will merely
migrate into the soft verges. We have some well used lanes nearby
where the edges are always in need of repair - but without drains and
kurbs I feel it is fruitless.

So, how much are you proposing to allocate to improve this class
of road, and what is the break-even point?

Chris

A bit of machinery instead of blokes with barrows and spades. Use a rotary
cutting machine to make a trench for the edge, Cast a concrete kurb. Then
repair the road with tarmac up to the kurb. Continuous casting machines are
used to make centre barriers - I would think a version of this tech could
be used to fill the trench and provide a haunch.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article 6, DerbyBorn
wrote:
Chris J Dixon wrote in
:

DerbyBorn wrote:

[...]

But, if there are no drains and a continuous kerb is created, where does
the rain water go?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Charles Hope wrote:
In article , DerbyBorn
wrote:
I was bemused watching a gang reparing the edges of a country road.
There were no kerbs and no drains. They dug out some of the subsided
tarmac and replaced it. A total waste of materials as it will merely
migrate into the soft verges. We have some well used lanes nearby
where the edges are always in need of repair - but without drains and
kurbs I feel it is fruitless.

nothing new, I saw that technique in the Highlands of Scotland 50* years
ago.

What they don't show you is the odd upright stone installed as perhaps a
marker for something which gets overgrown, then demolishes your suspension
when you pull in as far as possible for that tractor...

--
*Why is it that to stop Windows 95, you have to click on "Start"?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Charles Hope wrote in
:

In article 6,
DerbyBorn wrote:
Chris J Dixon wrote in
:

DerbyBorn wrote:

[...]

My kerb would be low and the tarmac would be flush to its top. The rain
would then run off into the soil.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.222...

Charles Hope wrote in
:

In article 6,
DerbyBorn wrote:
Chris J Dixon wrote in
:

DerbyBorn wrote:

[...]

Approach a bank/venture capitalist and get your road repair company running
ASAP.
Post back when up and running.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Jul 2015 17:29:36 +0000, DerbyBorn wrote:

Charles Hope wrote in
:

In article 6,
DerbyBorn wrote:
Chris J Dixon wrote in
:

DerbyBorn wrote:

[...]

The road I use my way to work [1] is a mixture of the two. Newer bits
have the flat curb and older bits have the 'migrating tarmnac'. They're
closing it again for two weeks so a bit more will no doubt be
'converted'. I first started using that road over 40 years ago when it
was narrow and very convex (you slid off if it was icy). One day it will
all be done.

[1] But only until December when I 'retire'. (FSVO 'retire').
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
.236...
I was bemused watching a gang reparing the edges of a country road. There
were no kerbs and no drains. They dug out some of the subsided tarmac and
replaced it. A total waste of materials as it will merely migrate into the
soft verges. We have some well used lanes nearby where the edges are
always
in need of repair - but without drains and kurbs I feel it is fruitless.

Plenty of ours have no kerbs or drains and it works fine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.236...
Chris J Dixon wrote in
:

DerbyBorn wrote:

[...]

Much more expensive than what they are doing that works fine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.222...
Charles Hope wrote in
:

In article 6,
DerbyBorn wrote:
Chris J Dixon wrote in
:

DerbyBorn wrote:

[...]

I'm not aware of any jurisdiction that does it like that and there must be
a reason that they don’t.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/07/2015 18:29, DerbyBorn wrote:
My kerb would be low and the tarmac would be flush to its top. The rain
would then run off into the soil.

First time it get resurfaced the new level will be above the kerb. You
then begin to get migrating tarmac...

Not that I really think that's much of a problem.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/07/2015 16:50, Charles Hope wrote:

But, if there are no drains and a continuous kerb is created, where does
the rain water go?

A new roundabout is being built near us and the concrete kerb stones
have holes in them - about 2" diameter and a foot apart. I can't see any
conventional drains in the road surface. Maybe that's common but I've
not seen it before.

--
Reentrant

Converting 2 gang socket to 3 gang [email protected] UK diy 19 November 4th 08 09:37 PM
2 gang dimmer that fits a 2 gang backbox ARWadsworth UK diy 8 June 12th 07 06:00 PM
Supply Keystone Jack Faceplate,modular faceplate,RJ45 Faceplate,Single Gang Faceplate,double gang faceplate,avaya faceplate,amp faceplate,icc faceplate,cat5e faceplate,network faceplate,angled faceplate [email protected] Woodturning 1 April 23rd 06 10:09 PM
prog's Maurice Hood UK diy 8 July 1st 04 08:59 PM
That TV prog John Jardine UK diy 19 July 24th 03 03:47 AM