Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Coconuts

Somebody posted on here a while back about buying coconuts
pre-filled with stuff to feed birds.
I make up my own mixture with dripping and seeds and using
coconuts seemed a good idea.
For anyone interested - the while stuff inside isn't like
the inside of Bounty - its rock hard and needs to be
grated before you can eat it.
For anyone without a carpenters vice who needs to work
on the coconut - I cut* away a quarter - half way around
the "equator" and then down to the equator from one end -
the easiest way is to screw it to a piece of scrap ply
etc which can then be clamped to the bench.
A 5.5 mm drill, and a brown plug hammered into the
coconut screwed together with a size 10 1.5 inch
twinthread screw will do the trick. Then a screw
eye in the top to hang it from the branch of the
tree.

michael adams

* Wickes Forge Steel short handsaw.