Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default IOMEGA Zip disk

I have some files 'backed up' onto IMOMEGA 250MB disks

Tried to access today and find my IOMEGA drive although recognised by PC
and whirrs & clicks into life does not mechanically load disks ....

Is there anybody who has such a drive willing to copy contents onto a
USB stick for me (don't expect this for nothing)

Or anyone know of a place that can do this.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

rick wrote:

I have some files 'backed up' onto IMOMEGA 250MB disks
Tried to access today and find my IOMEGA drive although recognised by PC
and whirrs & clicks

I seem to remember a fault known as "The click of death" with IOMEGA
drives ... maybe searching for that phrase will be useful ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

https://www.grc.com/tip/codfaq1.htm

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/06/2015 13:50, rick wrote:
I have some files 'backed up' onto IMOMEGA 250MB disks

Tried to access today and find my IOMEGA drive although recognised by PC
and whirrs & clicks into life does not mechanically load disks ....

Is there anybody who has such a drive willing to copy contents onto a
USB stick for me (don't expect this for nothing)

Or anyone know of a place that can do this.

Your post took me back a few years - I'd forgotten about such things!

This any use to you?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Iomega-Zip...em3aab29 7f1a

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"rick" wrote in message
I have some files 'backed up' onto IMOMEGA 250MB disks

Tried to access today and find my IOMEGA drive although recognised by PC and whirrs &
clicks into life does not mechanically load disks ....

Is there anybody who has such a drive willing to copy contents onto a USB stick for me
(don't expect this for nothing)

Or anyone know of a place that can do this.

Checking conversion services they seem to run at around $25 per disc
plus postage to the US

If the worst comes to the worst there are plenty of 250's on ebay ranging
from around £10 to £30. An internal would be OK as you could run it on the
desk sitting alongside the machine.

With the known issue with these drives, it might be an idea to confirm with the
seller beforehand that the thing actually works. Rather than being something they
found sitting in the back of the cupboard untouched for years.

Apart from that, these things are unlikely to attract scam sellers, unlike say
mobile phones etc. More likely well meaning sellers, who don't have a clue
what they're talking about.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"michael adams" wrote in message

"rick" wrote in message
[...]

Follow up :

this UK seller sells 250's in bulk, as tested and working,
the most important point, with an IDE connection.
They offer free collection from you local Argos ( a system which I've
found OK for low value items anyway). at £14.49 each

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/INTERNAL-I...em3cdf8b f819

Its in a bracket but that doesn't matter. Just sit it on the desk.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/06/2015 16:05, Brian-Gaff wrote:
I have one but its not working either. maybe its a dodgy belt inside ofr
similar, might be worth a look?
Brian

I have tried .. there is no belt its a direct drive motor.

USB interface seems fine ... its something electro -mech
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/06/2015 22:37, Farmer Giles wrote:
On 05/06/2015 13:50, rick wrote:
I have some files 'backed up' onto IMOMEGA 250MB disks

Tried to access today and find my IOMEGA drive although recognised by PC
and whirrs & clicks into life does not mechanically load disks ....

Is there anybody who has such a drive willing to copy contents onto a
USB stick for me (don't expect this for nothing)

Or anyone know of a place that can do this.

Your post took me back a few years - I'd forgotten about such things!

This any use to you?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Iomega-Zip...em3aab29 7f1a

That one isn't as its a100 ... I have 250Mb disks.

I have bid on an internal IDE unit ... just need one to last long enough
to copy data
Typical this drive bought to produce backups ... have them, but no way
to access :-(

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/06/2015 13:50, rick wrote:
I have some files 'backed up' onto IMOMEGA 250MB disks

Tried to access today and find my IOMEGA drive although recognised by PC
and whirrs & clicks into life does not mechanically load disks ....

Is there anybody who has such a drive willing to copy contents onto a
USB stick for me (don't expect this for nothing)

Or anyone know of a place that can do this.

Your post took me back a few years - I'd forgotten about such things!

They were the top of the range product when they came out .... mine is
dated 1991 ... before that it was a 1.2Mb floppy only ... to have 250Mb
was seen as excellent.
It was 10 years before USB memory sticks hit commercial market

Pretty amazing that I now have a 32Gb card in my camera ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/06/2015 13:50, rick wrote:
I have some files 'backed up' onto IMOMEGA 250MB disks

Tried to access today and find my IOMEGA drive although recognised by PC
and whirrs & clicks into life does not mechanically load disks ....

Is there anybody who has such a drive willing to copy contents onto a
USB stick for me (don't expect this for nothing)

Or anyone know of a place that can do this.

Your post took me back a few years - I'd forgotten about such things!

They were the top of the range product when they came out .... mine is
dated 1991 ... before that it was a 1.2Mb floppy only ... to have 250Mb
was seen as excellent.
It was 10 years before USB memory sticks hit commercial market

Pretty amazing that I now have a 32Gb card in my camera ...

Whwn I first worked in the computer industry - we didn't call it 'IT'
then - at Apricot, our standard HDD was 10Mb. From memory they cost
around £1000.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/06/2015 13:50, rick wrote:
I have some files 'backed up' onto IMOMEGA 250MB disks

Tried to access today and find my IOMEGA drive although recognised by PC
and whirrs & clicks into life does not mechanically load disks ....

Is there anybody who has such a drive willing to copy contents onto a
USB stick for me (don't expect this for nothing)

Or anyone know of a place that can do this.

Your post took me back a few years - I'd forgotten about such things!

They were the top of the range product when they came out .... mine is
dated 1991 ... before that it was a 1.2Mb floppy only ... to have 250Mb
was seen as excellent.
It was 10 years before USB memory sticks hit commercial market

Pretty amazing that I now have a 32Gb card in my camera ...

It's more than amazing, it's un!"£$%^&believable.
32GB is around two hundred and fifty thousand million bits.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

rick wrote:

USB interface seems fine ... its something electro -mech

The link someone else provided suggested the clicking indicates the
servo track(s) are corrupt on the media, so the drive can't accurately
position the heads to read data.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/06/2015 16:02, Andy Burns wrote:
rick wrote:

USB interface seems fine ... its something electro -mech

The link someone else provided suggested the clicking indicates the
servo track(s) are corrupt on the media, so the drive can't accurately
position the heads to read data.

It wasn't the 'click of death' issue .... in my case initial whirs &
clicks but then afater a while PC would come up with "please insert disk"

Not the disk as also tried new blank disks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/06/2015 22:25, bm wrote:
"rick" wrote in message

They were the top of the range product when they came out .... mine is
dated 1991 ... before that it was a 1.2Mb floppy only ... to have 250Mb
was seen as excellent.
It was 10 years before USB memory sticks hit commercial market

Pretty amazing that I now have a 32Gb card in my camera ...

It's more than amazing, it's un!"£$%^&believable.
32GB is around two hundred and fifty thousand million bits.

My first real 'PC' was an ACT Sirius with an 8" floppy disk!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

rick wrote:

USB interface seems fine ... its something electro -mech

The link someone else provided suggested the clicking indicates the
servo track(s) are corrupt on the media, so the drive can't
accurately position the heads to read data.

It wasn't the 'click of death' issue .... in my case initial whirs
& clicks but then afater a while PC would come up with "please insert
disk"

Not the disk as also tried new blank disks

Yup. The 'click of death' meant that the drive was going kaput,
and no media would make it any better. Once the clicking started, the
End was Nigh, but not necessarily immediate.

--
Davey.