Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default wagobox

Would it be legal to extend a 6mm T&E cable with a Wagobox if the box is
under the floorboards? There seem to be differing opinions out there.
TIA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/06/2015 18:38, stuart noble wrote:
Would it be legal to extend a 6mm T&E cable with a Wagobox if the box is
under the floorboards? There seem to be differing opinions out there.
TIA

Ah, found a pdf from WB that explains things (I think). 773-173 is for
6mm and is classed as maintenance free
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/06/15 18:38, stuart noble wrote:
Would it be legal to extend a 6mm T&E cable with a Wagobox if the box is
under the floorboards? There seem to be differing opinions out there.
TIA

6mm2 is a bit chunky for a Wagobox.

Why not just use either a double surface 45mm backbox and a blanking
plate screwed to a joist and clip the cable near each entry which
fulfils the IET regs on cable restraint. Use the Wago connectors inside
this. Or regular terminals if accessible (floorboards usually are deemed
so). Or yellow crimps if you have access to a proper ratchet tool?

Personally, and I like Wagos, I am not sure if I would trust them for
6mm2. They seem very much pitched at light loads, lighting, industrial
control and that sort if thing.

Me - I'd crimp even if I had to shell out for a decent crimp tool.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/06/2015 19:03, Tim Watts wrote:
On 01/06/15 18:38, stuart noble wrote:
Would it be legal to extend a 6mm T&E cable with a Wagobox if the box is
under the floorboards? There seem to be differing opinions out there.
TIA

6mm2 is a bit chunky for a Wagobox.

Why not just use either a double surface 45mm backbox and a blanking
plate screwed to a joist and clip the cable near each entry which
fulfils the IET regs on cable restraint. Use the Wago connectors inside
this. Or regular terminals if accessible (floorboards usually are deemed
so). Or yellow crimps if you have access to a proper ratchet tool?

Personally, and I like Wagos, I am not sure if I would trust them for
6mm2. They seem very much pitched at light loads, lighting, industrial
control and that sort if thing.

Me - I'd crimp even if I had to shell out for a decent crimp tool.

If it satisfies the regs, it's the wagobox for me! No room for more
tools :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/06/15 19:29, stuart noble wrote:
[...]

I think I'd trust a terminal block more Satisfies the regs as under
floorboards is deemed accessible.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

stuart noble wrote:

Would it be legal to extend a 6mm T&E cable with a Wagobox if the box is
under the floorboards? There seem to be differing opinions out there.

What's the fuse/MCB on the circuit?

The max current capacity of 6mm^2 T&E (depending on other factors) is
47A but the de-rated capacity of wago terminals with 6mm^2 cable within
a wago box is 32A.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/06/2015 19:55, Andy Burns wrote:
stuart noble wrote:

Would it be legal to extend a 6mm T&E cable with a Wagobox if the box is
under the floorboards? There seem to be differing opinions out there.

What's the fuse/MCB on the circuit?

The max current capacity of 6mm^2 T&E (depending on other factors) is
47A but the de-rated capacity of wago terminals with 6mm^2 cable within
a wago box is 32A.

The consumer unit says NB30 30A type 2
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

stuart noble wrote:

Would it be legal to extend a 6mm T&E cable with a Wagobox if the box is
under the floorboards? There seem to be differing opinions out there.

What's the fuse/MCB on the circuit?

The max current capacity of 6mm^2 T&E (depending on other factors) is
47A but the de-rated capacity of wago terminals with 6mm^2 cable within
a wago box is 32A.

The consumer unit says NB30 30A type 2

The old Wylex?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...
stuart noble wrote:

Would it be legal to extend a 6mm T&E cable with a Wagobox if the box is
under the floorboards? There seem to be differing opinions out there.

What's the fuse/MCB on the circuit?

The max current capacity of 6mm^2 T&E (depending on other factors) is 47A
but the de-rated capacity of wago terminals with 6mm^2 cable within a wago
box is 32A.

The 733-173 claims to be good for 41A.

What am I missing?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

the de-rated capacity of wago terminals with 6mm^2 cable within a wago
box is 32A.

The 733-173 claims to be good for 41A.
What am I missing?

The last row of Table 1
https://www.connexbox.com/docs/files/wagobox-mf-qna-v4.pdf

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
stuart noble writes:
On 01/06/2015 18:38, stuart noble wrote:
Would it be legal to extend a 6mm T&E cable with a Wagobox if the box is
under the floorboards? There seem to be differing opinions out there.
TIA

Ah, found a pdf from WB that explains things (I think). 773-173 is for
6mm and is classed as maintenance free

One of the documents I found a while back only guaranteed them for 1 year,
unless the current was quite low. 6mm cable does not normally indicate low
current.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

For a high current use I'd be inclined to solder and heat shrink, using
the double box etc as suggested, particularly for a simple "extension".
I have proper ratchet crimp tools, but at the lower end of the price range.

In fact for underfloor, wouldn't it be OK to solder and heat shrink,
with a liberal overwrap of pvc tape as long as nail-in cable clips were
used to provide strain relief.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

stuart noble wrote:

Would it be legal to extend a 6mm T&E cable with a Wagobox if the
box is
under the floorboards? There seem to be differing opinions out there.

What's the fuse/MCB on the circuit?

The max current capacity of 6mm^2 T&E (depending on other factors) is
47A but the de-rated capacity of wago terminals with 6mm^2 cable within
a wago box is 32A.

The consumer unit says NB30 30A type 2

The old Wylex?

Indeed. Ain't broken so ain't gonna be fixed!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:

"Andy Burns" wrote:

ARW wrote:

The 733-173 claims to be good for 41A. What am I missing?

The last row of Table 1
https://www.connexbox.com/docs/files/wagobox-mf-qna-v4.pdf

Ta. And OMG.

I suppose since the O/P's circuit is fused at 30A it doesn't matter
anyway, but if it had been higher, it would come down to whether below
floorboards is classed as an MF location, if not the wagobox doesn't
have to be de-rated ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/06/2015 19:15, Andy Burns wrote:
ARW wrote:

"Andy Burns" wrote:

ARW wrote:

The 733-173 claims to be good for 41A. What am I missing?

The last row of Table 1
https://www.connexbox.com/docs/files/wagobox-mf-qna-v4.pdf

Ta. And OMG.

I suppose since the O/P's circuit is fused at 30A it doesn't matter
anyway, but if it had been higher, it would come down to whether below
floorboards is classed as an MF location, if not the wagobox doesn't
have to be de-rated ...

I imagine laminate flooring has made many previously accessible
locations inaccessible in practice

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:

"Andy Burns" wrote:

ARW wrote:

The 733-173 claims to be good for 41A. What am I missing?

The last row of Table 1
https://www.connexbox.com/docs/files/wagobox-mf-qna-v4.pdf

Ta. And OMG.

I suppose since the O/P's circuit is fused at 30A it doesn't matter
anyway, but if it had been higher, it would come down to whether below
floorboards is classed as an MF location, if not the wagobox doesn't
have to be de-rated ...

I imagine laminate flooring has made many previously accessible
locations inaccessible in practice

Relaid some recently for one of my lads, not sure it's much more
difficult to lift and replace than fitted carpet.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 1 Jun 2015 23:28:55 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Gabriel wrote:

One of the documents I found a while back only guaranteed them for 1
year, unless the current was quite low.

Well I guess most accessories also only have a years guarantee,
defective manufacture sort of things. Or does the Wago guarantee
include "reliabilty" of the connections?

6mm cable does not normally indicate low current.

True enough or it could just be rather long and required to avoid
volt drop.

Personally I'm not sure I trust these type of push on connectors,
contact area just seems too small. For joining 6 mm I think I'd go
for a suitabley sized bit of terminal strip, and push the wires right
through so each one is held by both screws. House it in a backbox
with blank plate.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo o.uk,
Dave Liquorice escribió:

Personally I'm not sure I trust these type of push on connectors,
contact area just seems too small.

+1.

The Americans tried this with "backstab" (push-in) connectors but they
were unreliable and caused many fires.

For joining 6 mm I think I'd go
for a suitabley sized bit of terminal strip, and push the wires right
through so each one is held by both screws.

+1. Or use a crimp large enough to place both wires in, overlapping,
and use the proper tool to do it up. Both methods maximise the contact
area of the wires.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/06/15 11:04, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artículo o.uk,
Dave Liquorice escribió:

Personally I'm not sure I trust these type of push on connectors,
contact area just seems too small.

+1.

The Americans tried this with "backstab" (push-in) connectors but they
were unreliable and caused many fires.

Indeed.

I would use Wagos on lighting and CH - they lend themselves to that type
of application - very low currents and many many joints, often in
"inaccessible" places. There, having a spring contact offers some
tangible benefits over a screw terminal which may work loose.

But I would not even be too happy about Wagos on anything classed as a
"power circuit", particularly on a multi stranded T+E cable which is
unlikely to have enough force to bite down on all the strands.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Tim Watts
escribió:

I would use Wagos on lighting and CH - they lend themselves to that type
of application - very low currents

+1.

I bought some bulkhead fittings from B&Q some years ago and they had
backstab connections to the lampholders. I remember thinking at the
time that was a suitable use for them. They were also doubled up so you
could daisychain from them, minimising the number of joints in the
circuit.

But I would not even be too happy about Wagos on anything classed as a
"power circuit", particularly on a multi stranded T+E cable which is
unlikely to have enough force to bite down on all the strands.

+1. The contact area seems too small to be safe for high currents to
me.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)