Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Ask the police

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q589.htm

I wonder how a screwdriver would be?
(As a waepon)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 31 May 2015 12:10:20 +0100, harryagain wrote:

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q589.htm

I wonder how a screwdriver would be?
(As a waepon)

Since I've been messing about with 'electric shock machines on and off
for nearly 50 years (yikes, half a century!) I built my own taser.
There's really not much to it once you look into it; certainly not if you
have an electronics background, anyway. I wouldn't waste my time with
screwdrivers.
As you're no doubt aware, you're not allowed to defend yourself in this
country, you have to rely on the police and when they're not around
(which is whenever you need them) you're basically ****ed - unless you
ignore the law and arm yourself suitably. ;-);-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Sun, 31 May 2015 12:10:20 +0100, harryagain wrote:

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q589.htm

I wonder how a screwdriver would be?
(As a waepon)

Since I've been messing about with 'electric shock machines on and off
for nearly 50 years (yikes, half a century!) I built my own taser.
There's really not much to it once you look into it; certainly not if you
have an electronics background, anyway. I wouldn't waste my time with
screwdrivers.
As you're no doubt aware, you're not allowed to defend yourself in this
country, you have to rely on the police and when they're not around
(which is whenever you need them) you're basically ****ed - unless you
ignore the law and arm yourself suitably. ;-);-)

I would have thought that a taser device would be inviting trouble.
A screw driver carried to undo screws may be less of a problem.
there are various kitchen sprays (one extremely dangerous)that you could
be carrying for whatever purpose they were intended.
A solid nail file could be carried legitimately,same with substantial
writing devices
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/05/2015 12:10, harryagain wrote:
https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q589.htm

I wonder how a screwdriver would be?
(As a waepon)

Depends whether you have a legitimate reason to have it in your hand at
the time and how you use it. I suspect that the most innocent thing to
carry is a walking stick with a knob handle. Mine is similar to the Ash
Root Knob, on this page:

http://www.james-smith.co.uk/product...nd-cane-sticks

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/05/2015 20:37, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Nightjar
"cpb"@ wrote:

On 31/05/2015 12:10, harryagain wrote:
https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q589.htm

I wonder how a screwdriver would be?
(As a waepon)

Depends whether you have a legitimate reason to have it in your hand
at the time and how you use it. I suspect that the most innocent thing
to carry is a walking stick with a knob handle. Mine is similar to the
Ash Root Knob, on this page:

http://www.james-smith.co.uk/product...nd-cane-sticks

But surely one would have to be a doddering old fossil to justify
carrying such a stick?

I bought mine because I had an injured knee. Having got used to it, I
now carry it as a fashion accessory.

--
Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 01 Jun 2015 03:42:45 +1000, F Murtz wrote:

I would have thought that a taser device would be inviting trouble.

How could that possibly be the case?

A screw driver carried to undo screws may be less of a problem.
there are various kitchen sprays (one extremely dangerous)that you could
be carrying for whatever purpose they were intended.

Hmm. Gives me an idea. Get a kid's water pistol and fill it up with that
drain cleaner you can get from plumbers merchants that's 97% pure sulfuric
acid. Could come in handy for bolshy traffic wardens. Aim the pistol for
the eyes whilst applying the taser to the genital area. ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/05/2015 19:27, Nightjar "cpb"@ wrote:
On 31/05/2015 12:10, harryagain wrote:
https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q589.htm

I wonder how a screwdriver would be?
(As a waepon)

Depends whether you have a legitimate reason to have it in your hand at
the time and how you use it. I suspect that the most innocent thing to
carry is a walking stick with a knob handle. Mine is similar to the Ash
Root Knob, on this page:

http://www.james-smith.co.uk/product...nd-cane-sticks

Isn't blackthorn more effective?

An a lump o blackthorn that A held in ma fist
Aroun his big bodie A made it tae twist
An the blude fae his napper A quickly did draw
An paid him stock-an-interest for Erin-go-Bragh

(Dick Gaughan)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/05/2015 21:10, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Mon, 01 Jun 2015 03:42:45 +1000, F Murtz wrote:

I would have thought that a taser device would be inviting trouble.

How could that possibly be the case?

Because they can only be legally used by the police

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/05/2015 12:10, harryagain wrote:
https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q589.htm

I wonder how a screwdriver would be?
(As a waepon)

The definition of an offensive weapon is any article made or adapted for
use for causing injury to the person, or intended by the person having
it with him for such use by him, or by some other person.

Intent would make it an offensive weapon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 31 May 2015 21:51:08 +0100, newshound wrote:

On 31/05/2015 17:05, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Sun, 31 May 2015 12:10:20 +0100, harryagain wrote:

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q589.htm

I wonder how a screwdriver would be?
(As a waepon)

Since I've been messing about with 'electric shock machines on and off
for nearly 50 years (yikes, half a century!)

NOT TRUE

You're too kind! Friends tell me I don't look 62, though, so perhaps
you're right.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

As I said in a previous message on this subject, I think they decide
according to where you were found with it and the time and general
situation. If you were doing electrical work and in a van with electrician
written on it they would just say, that should be locked away in the back
mate, but if you were running dressed in black in the middle of the might
from a white van to a property witith expensive tvs inside, they might not
be so charitable. as for whether you could stab someone with a screwdriver,
that depends on how sharp it is I guess.
I think there are quite a lot of people who have to visit hospital who
accidentally get stabbed by common objects from scissors and screwdrivers,
all the way up to modern art pieces they were trying to set up for display.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"harryagain" wrote in message
https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q589.htm

I wonder how a screwdriver would be?
(As a waepon)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes did not a judge recently throw out a case of actual bodily harm where a
lady who did mixed martial arts did some serious damage to a potential
mugger, who then tried his luck for compensation? I know proportionate force
is what you can use, but who decides what is proportionate?
You use whatever you have one supposes, as there is no time to actually
reason it out in a logical and cool manner
Some years ago a drug crazed idiot came at me with a large wooden chair leg,
I grabbed a large piece of pipe and hit him in the knee cap then ran while
he was still swearing at me. Some people are just unpredictable, and
bonkers.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Cursitor Doom" wrote in message
On Sun, 31 May 2015 12:10:20 +0100, harryagain wrote:

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q589.htm

I wonder how a screwdriver would be?
(As a waepon)

Since I've been messing about with 'electric shock machines on and off
for nearly 50 years (yikes, half a century!) I built my own taser.
There's really not much to it once you look into it; certainly not if you
have an electronics background, anyway. I wouldn't waste my time with
screwdrivers.
As you're no doubt aware, you're not allowed to defend yourself in this
country, you have to rely on the police and when they're not around
(which is whenever you need them) you're basically ****ed - unless you
ignore the law and arm yourself suitably. ;-);-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2015-05-31, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Nightjar
"cpb"@ wrote:

On 31/05/2015 12:10, harryagain wrote:
https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q589.htm

I wonder how a screwdriver would be?
(As a waepon)

Depends whether you have a legitimate reason to have it in your hand at
the time and how you use it. I suspect that the most innocent thing to
carry is a walking stick with a knob handle. Mine is similar to the Ash
Root Knob, on this page:

http://www.james-smith.co.uk/product...nd-cane-sticks

But surely one would have to be a doddering old fossil to justify
carrying such a stick?

I use a stick during gout flares and although I'm poised on the brink
of retirement, I'm certainly not a "doddering old fossil"!

You are if you get the gout.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 01 Jun 2015 10:49:31 +0000, Huge wrote:

It's possible to get gout in one's teens. I was in my 40's when it
started.

Too much port. Or brandy. Do you have to be wheeled around in a bath
chair with a colossal bandage round your foot?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2015-05-31, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Nightjar
"cpb"@ wrote:

On 31/05/2015 12:10, harryagain wrote:
https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q589.htm

I wonder how a screwdriver would be?
(As a waepon)

Depends whether you have a legitimate reason to have it in your hand at
the time and how you use it. I suspect that the most innocent thing to
carry is a walking stick with a knob handle. Mine is similar to the Ash
Root Knob, on this page:

http://www.james-smith.co.uk/product...nd-cane-sticks

But surely one would have to be a doddering old fossil to justify
carrying such a stick?

I use a stick during gout flares and although I'm poised on the brink
of retirement, I'm certainly not a "doddering old fossil"!

--
Today is Boomtime, the 6th day of Confusion in the YOLD 3181
I don't have an attitude problem.

I misread that slightly and though you were saying "I'm poised on the drink
of retirement"

You have my sympathy. a good fiend got it in his 40's and whilst he may have been fond of a drink he certainly was not a port drinker. It was agony to him.

Slouched in front of the television one night I drank a whole bottle of vintage (complete with white wash slash) port on my own..

I haven't touched a drop of port since.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/06/2015 08:27, Brian-Gaff wrote:
Yes did not a judge recently throw out a case of actual bodily harm where a
lady who did mixed martial arts did some serious damage to a potential
mugger, who then tried his luck for compensation? I know proportionate force
is what you can use, but who decides what is proportionate?
You use whatever you have one supposes, as there is no time to actually
reason it out in a logical and cool manner

Reasonable force takes into account the effects of fear and adrenalin.
If you do serious damage then it can still be reasonable force if you
are being attacked. You are not expected to remain calm and calculating
unless you have prior training so someone trained in martial arts may
well be done after inflicting less damage than an average person
inflicts and is cleared.

Some years ago a drug crazed idiot came at me with a large wooden chair leg,
I grabbed a large piece of pipe and hit him in the knee cap then ran while
he was still swearing at me. Some people are just unpredictable, and
bonkers.
Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/06/2015 11:10, Simon263 wrote:

I use a stick during gout flares and although I'm poised on the brink
of retirement, I'm certainly not a "doddering old fossil"!

You are if you get the gout.

He's taking the ****.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2015-05-31, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
Nightjar "cpb"@ wrote:

[...]

You don't need to drink port to get gout.
Its caused by uric acid crystals forming in bits of the body and any
diuretic is likely to make it worse.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/05/2015 21:57, David Lang wrote:
On 31/05/2015 12:10, harryagain wrote:
https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q589.htm

I wonder how a screwdriver would be?
(As a waepon)

The definition of an offensive weapon is any article made or adapted for
use for causing injury to the person, or intended by the person having
it with him for such use by him, or by some other person.

Intent would make it an offensive weapon.

Nearly everyone carries a weapon with them, its usually on a key ring.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message
web.com...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Friend of a colleague of mine was on the way home from a historical
enactment. He wasn't carrying any weapons, but was wearing his chainmail
& gloves. He was mugged.

Mugger produced a knife. Some bemusement from FOAC. Until the mugger
slashed him across the chest with the knife.

Cue chinking noise, and surprised looking mugger. FOAC then punched him.

I believe FOAC got off the charge of assault, but it went to court.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 01 Jun 2015 11:22:19 +0000, Huge wrote:

[...]

Well you can't be suffering from gout, then. Gout sufferers invariably
have infeasibly large bandages around their foot and are wheeled around
in bath chairs. They also wear monocles and goose young attractive women.
Did you never watch the Two Ronnies?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Simon263
scribeth thus

On 2015-05-31, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Nightjar
"cpb"@ wrote:

On 31/05/2015 12:10, harryagain wrote:
https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q589.htm

I wonder how a screwdriver would be?
(As a waepon)

Depends whether you have a legitimate reason to have it in your hand at
the time and how you use it. I suspect that the most innocent thing to
carry is a walking stick with a knob handle. Mine is similar to the Ash
Root Knob, on this page:

http://www.james-smith.co.uk/product...nd-cane-sticks

But surely one would have to be a doddering old fossil to justify
carrying such a stick?

I use a stick during gout flares and although I'm poised on the brink
of retirement, I'm certainly not a "doddering old fossil"!

You are if you get the gout.

Oi! Sonny!, I've been getting the odd attack of gout since I was 18
years old.

Suggest you read up on the subject sometime;!...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"cpb"@ wrote:

On 31/05/2015 12:10, harryagain wrote:
https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q589.htm

I wonder how a screwdriver would be?
(As a waepon)

Depends whether you have a legitimate reason to have it in your hand
at the time and how you use it. I suspect that the most innocent thing
to carry is a walking stick with a knob handle. Mine is similar to the
Ash Root Knob, on this page:

http://www.james-smith.co.uk/product...nd-cane-sticks

But surely one would have to be a doddering old fossil to justify
carrying such a stick?

I bought mine because I had an injured knee. Having got used to it, I
now carry it as a fashion accessory.

--
Colin Bignell

I regularly go walking around local footpaths and use a sprung
hiking stick.
I don't believe that I fall into the "doddery" bracket just yet.
Anyhow, this stick has a useful pointed steel tip, handy if dog
owners aren't on the ball wrt their charges.

Guess this could be used as an offensive weapon if necessary!

Phil
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

FUN POLICE Dave UK diy 34 December 8th 08 04:19 PM
police [email protected] Home Ownership 2 October 17th 08 12:42 AM
police [email protected] Home Repair 0 May 26th 08 09:59 PM
police [email protected] Metalworking 1 April 8th 08 12:11 AM
DIWANIYA - Gunmen killed two police officers and wounded another on Tuesday night in a drive-by shooting in the southern city of Diwaniya, 180 km (110 miles) south of Baghdad, police said BGKM Woodworking 0 March 15th 07 08:31 AM