Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Halogen Capsule lamps

Have a couple of those desk lamps with a transformer in the base that take
a 35 watt 12v halogen capsule.

Is there a decent LED replacement? Last replacement halogens I bought seem
to have a very short life.

--
*Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
Have a couple of those desk lamps with a transformer in the base that take
a 35 watt 12v halogen capsule.

Is there a decent LED replacement? Last replacement halogens I bought seem
to have a very short life.

Mine have lasted fine, so it was likely just a dud.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31 May 2015, "Dave Plowman (News)" grunted:

Have a couple of those desk lamps with a transformer in the base that
take a 35 watt 12v halogen capsule.

I have one of those (from LEDHut) fitted in a special downlighter; it's
been there for a year or so with no issues.

I also have a lamp like the one you describe and was thinking along similar
lines; however the LED suppliers (including LEDHut) always give a
disclaimer saying they don't guarantee they'll work with ordinary
transformers (presumably due to the tiny current they draw), which has put
me off trying it out (given that the LEDs are relatively expensive).

I've never actually tried using LED lamps wit non-LED transformers, and
have no idea what the likelihood actually is: would be interested to know.

--
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
Have a couple of those desk lamps with a transformer in the base that take
a 35 watt 12v halogen capsule.

Is there a decent LED replacement? Last replacement halogens I bought seem
to have a very short life.

Not which will give same light output.

Highest LED 12V capsule replacement is around 2W, which is going to
struggle to match 20W filament.

It's presumably mounted sideways in the reflector?
In that case, finding an LED capsule which directs the light sideways
will win over a multi-directional one which bounces off the reflector.

Kosnic used to do a very nice 2W disk with LEDs on one side and pins
sticking out the edge which would fit in to many capsule luminares,
where the light was needed from one side of the lamp. (If necessary,
you can remove the luminare's reflector for more space as it's not
used. Part number is KLED02CIR/G4 with suffix -W30 for 3000K and -W60
for 6000K (which is about 14% brighter if you don't mind the blue-white
colour). You may find some stock in retailers, but Kosnic sadly stopped
making them about a year ago.

Verbatim still do a single LED equivalent, which is lower power,
although it might be more efficient (I haven't tried it). Maplin
stock them (well, if you're lucky, a store might have just one).
Being a single lensed LED, it's probably much narrower beam angle
than the Kosnic, which is quite wide-angle.

The other thing is that your 35W ones are probably 6.3mm pin
spacing, whereas any LED retrofits will be for 4mm pin spacing,
but the sockets and pins are usually sufficiently flexible to
work anyway.

You can buy dedicated LED desk lamps where the more powerful LED
is properly thermally bonded to the luminare and these could in
theory match 35W output, although I can't point you at a specific
one. Another option is to buy a desklamp intended to take a GU10
mains halogen, and fit a mains LED GU10 which can probably match
35W capsule. Choose one which provides good ventilation for the
GU10 lamp.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Lobster" wrote in message
. 236...
On 31 May 2015, "Dave Plowman (News)" grunted:

Have a couple of those desk lamps with a transformer in the base that
take a 35 watt 12v halogen capsule.

I have one of those (from LEDHut) fitted in a special downlighter; it's
been there for a year or so with no issues.

Could you give the part number and tell us what it costs?

There is a reason for asking.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Not which will give same light output.

Highest LED 12V capsule replacement is around 2W, which is going to
struggle to match 20W filament.

Thanks Andrew. Explains why I couldn't find them at the usual suspects,
like TLC.

--
*Santa Claus has the right idea. Visit people only once a year.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Lobster wrote:
I also have a lamp like the one you describe and was thinking along
similar lines; however the LED suppliers (including LEDHut) always give
a disclaimer saying they don't guarantee they'll work with ordinary
transformers (presumably due to the tiny current they draw), which has
put me off trying it out (given that the LEDs are relatively expensive).

Mine have real transformers by the weight, and the only reason I can think
of that a high current cheap transformer will put out more voltage on less
than the correct load. Which I'd have thought the electronics in an LED
should cope with - given the very high prices.

An 'electronic' transformer is a different matter. It may well need a
minimum load to work at all.

--
*Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31 May 2015, "ARW" grunted:

"Lobster" wrote in message
. 236...
On 31 May 2015, "Dave Plowman (News)" grunted:

Have a couple of those desk lamps with a transformer in the base that
take a 35 watt 12v halogen capsule.

I have one of those (from LEDHut) fitted in a special downlighter; it's
been there for a year or so with no issues.

Actually now I think about it the lamp has two of these fitted, not one
(both are OK)

Could you give the part number and tell us what it costs?

Sure, see:
http://www.ledhut.co.uk/g4-smd-led-light.html
Mine are the "Warm White" version
A quid cheaper than a year ago, too!

There is a reason for asking.

No doubt...

--
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Funny you should bring this up. Some time ago a person I know said his desk
light was eating bulbs. He was quite a techy person and he reckoned the
transformer on load was over running the bulbs.

The lamp was made in France of all places.
I know in the old days there used to be another tap on the primary to
allow for over voltage mains, but never heard back if his current one had
this.

Strange.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
Have a couple of those desk lamps with a transformer in the base that
take
a 35 watt 12v halogen capsule.

Is there a decent LED replacement? Last replacement halogens I bought
seem
to have a very short life.

Mine have lasted fine, so it was likely just a dud.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Lobster" wrote in message
. 236...
On 31 May 2015, "ARW" grunted:

"Lobster" wrote in message
. 236...
On 31 May 2015, "Dave Plowman (News)" grunted:

Have a couple of those desk lamps with a transformer in the base that
take a 35 watt 12v halogen capsule.

I have one of those (from LEDHut) fitted in a special downlighter; it's
been there for a year or so with no issues.

Actually now I think about it the lamp has two of these fitted, not one
(both are OK)

Could you give the part number and tell us what it costs?

Sure, see:
http://www.ledhut.co.uk/g4-smd-led-light.html
Mine are the "Warm White" version
A quid cheaper than a year ago, too!

There is a reason for asking.

No doubt...

OK. You see that orange tab on the right hand side of the page? The one with
"In the trade" on it?

Click it and sign up.

Your £4.99 lamp is now £2.65 plus VAT (ie £3.18 in real money).

I have never bought from LEDHut but I did try this with another poster and
we cannot find a problem with using the orange tab.

They do not ask for any ID, they just offer a discount for clicking the
orange tab.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:

Lobster wrote:

http://www.ledhut.co.uk/g4-smd-led-light.html

You see that orange tab on the right hand side of the page? The one with
"In the trade" on it?

They do not ask for any ID, they just offer a discount for clicking the
orange tab.

Maybe they send you *even* more junk emails of special offers?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...
ARW wrote:

Lobster wrote:

http://www.ledhut.co.uk/g4-smd-led-light.html

You see that orange tab on the right hand side of the page? The one with
"In the trade" on it?

They do not ask for any ID, they just offer a discount for clicking the
orange tab.

Maybe they send you *even* more junk emails of special offers?

And?:-)

Is that any different to harrys posts?

--
Adam

CFL v Halogen capsule John UK diy 2 June 3rd 12 07:24 PM
LED replacements for halogen lamps Adam Funk[_3_] UK diy 25 August 3rd 11 10:39 PM
Using a dimmer with 12V halogen lamps ppmoore[_2_] UK diy 12 December 28th 10 04:39 PM
What is it with halogen lamps? Mikeyboy UK diy 15 February 22nd 09 02:38 AM
Alternatives to halogen capsule bulbs? Adam-the-Kiwi UK diy 3 December 2nd 06 11:26 AM