David C. Partridge

Default MHS Strata 1 Combi discontinued

For information: Modular Heating Systems are no longer selling the Strata 1
Combi.

This is the same boiler as the MAN Micromat or Eco-Hometec EC38

They cited parts availability as the reason when I pressed them.

They say they will have a replacement in January.

Dave

Andy Hall

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 14:41:12 -0000, "David C. Partridge"
wrote:

For information: Modular Heating Systems are no longer selling the Strata 1
Combi.

This is the same boiler as the MAN Micromat or Eco-Hometec EC38

They cited parts availability as the reason when I pressed them.

They say they will have a replacement in January.

Dave

I have a MAN Micromat EC23, so decided to check into this today in
case there was a general issue.

I called MHS who said that there was a "parts availability issue" on
the EC38 Combi model as you described, but the person did not have any
details.

I then spoke with Eco Hometec who also distribute the MAN Micromat in
the UK, and they told me that there had been an issue with the
supplier of the small hot water storage tank (Aquabooster) used in the
combi versions of the EC38 and larger models. Apparently MAN
Heiztechnik are qualifying an alternative supplier for this component.
This was leading to a short term availability of new EC38 combis
(until January) but not of spares. Eco Hometec told me that they had
stock of boilers and spares anyway.

To check further, I called MAN Heiztechnik in Hamburg and asked
whether they had any production issues, spares availability or were
planning to discontinue the Micromat. They confirmed that they had
had an issue with the supply of the storage tank for the EC38 but that
this was being resolved - essentially the same information as from Eco
Hometec.
I asked them whether they were planning to discontinue the Micromat in
the foreseeable future and they said not, since it is their largest
seller. The person pointed out that they had just won a best of
breed award at one of the German test organisations
(Stiftung Warentest, www.test.de), so why would they, and that in any
case, German law requires hem to have spares availability for a
minimum of ten years after production ceases.

So it appears that MHS have in some ways got themselves into some form
of chinese whispers, and that their sales dept. has got the wrong end
of the stick.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Additional instantaneous hot water units connected to combi boilers Vince UK diy 1 November 7th 03 10:15 AM
Combi Boilers Marv UK diy 5 November 2nd 03 11:34 PM
Thermostatic or electric shower from combi Enoesque UK diy 27 October 8th 03 11:53 AM
New Combi boiler GB UK diy 7 September 7th 03 11:34 PM
Combi boilers - why? David W.E. Roberts UK diy 10 August 30th 03 09:24 PM