Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default do you think it matter? ....

....if bricks are laid upside down?....i.e. with the frogs faced down or the
wire cut type with the direction of cut 'up'

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/05/15 10:35, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
...if bricks are laid upside down?....i.e. with the frogs faced down or the
wire cut type with the direction of cut 'up'

Yes - it's normally done by pikey builders to save a quid in mortar.

The only time I did it was when adding 1.5 bricks to an opening I was
moving sideways - I removed every half brick from the old edge to get a
keyed joint. Then I put the new bricks in that were over an old brick
upside down so there would be a mortar plug locking the two together -
but I prepacked the new brick's frog first.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

...if bricks are laid upside down?....i.e. with the frogs faced down

My semi-detached is built with upside down bricks, the result is a
lighter wall due to all the empty frogs that is more transparent to
sound from the neighbours than you'd expect.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/05/2015 10:35, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
...if bricks are laid upside down?....i.e. with the frogs faced down or the
wire cut type with the direction of cut 'up'

As per:
http://www.masonryfirst.com/pdf/Guid...0brick-674.pdf

"Lay London Bricks frog down for maximum strength and weight: when
neither is required, as in most low-rise dwellings, bricks may be laid
frog down."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/05/2015 11:38, Andy Burns wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

...if bricks are laid upside down?....i.e. with the frogs faced down

My semi-detached is built with upside down bricks, the result is a
lighter wall due to all the empty frogs that is more transparent to
sound from the neighbours than you'd expect.

This suggest mass is good and voids bad news for sound travel:

http://www.ibstock.com/pdfs/technica...ged-bricks.pdf

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxxx wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

My semi-detached is built with upside down bricks, the result is a
lighter wall due to all the empty frogs that is more transparent to
sound from the neighbours than you'd expect.

This suggest mass is good and voids bad news for sound travel:
http://www.ibstock.com/pdfs/technica...ged-bricks.pdf

Yes, I wasn't suggesting it was a good thing!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 08 May 2015 11:50:18 +0100, Fredxxx wrote:

On 08/05/2015 10:35, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
...if bricks are laid upside down?....i.e. with the frogs faced down or the
wire cut type with the direction of cut 'up'

As per:
http://www.masonryfirst.com/pdf/Guid...0brick-674.pdf

"Lay London Bricks frog down for maximum strength and weight: when
neither is required, as in most low-rise dwellings, bricks may be laid
frog down."

Erme - that first "down" should be an "upwards"!

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

...if bricks are laid upside down?....i.e. with the frogs faced down

My semi-detached is built with upside down bricks, the result is a lighter
wall due to all the empty frogs that is more transparent to sound from the
neighbours than you'd expect.

that is one of the problems it get .......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
...if bricks are laid upside down?....i.e. with the frogs faced down or
the wire cut type with the direction of cut 'up'

what about the wire cut type with three holes? .......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/05/2015 12:44, Nick Odell wrote:
On Fri, 08 May 2015 11:50:18 +0100, Fredxxx wrote:

On 08/05/2015 10:35, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
...if bricks are laid upside down?....i.e. with the frogs faced down or the
wire cut type with the direction of cut 'up'

As per:
http://www.masonryfirst.com/pdf/Guid...0brick-674.pdf

"Lay London Bricks frog up for maximum strength and weight: when
neither is required, as in most low-rise dwellings, bricks may be laid
frog down."

Erme - that first "down" should be an "upwards"!

Corrected!

Yes - sorry :-(

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/05/15 11:50, Fredxxx wrote:
"Lay London Bricks frog down for maximum strength and weight: when
neither is required, as in most low-rise dwellings, bricks may be laid
frog down."

Care to repeat that?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...
Fredxxx wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

My semi-detached is built with upside down bricks, the result is a
lighter wall due to all the empty frogs that is more transparent to
sound from the neighbours than you'd expect.

This suggest mass is good and voids bad news for sound travel:
http://www.ibstock.com/pdfs/technica...ged-bricks.pdf

Yes, I wasn't suggesting it was a good thing!

Bricks are much quicker to lay frog down, and use much less cement
(depending on size of frog.)
London brickes are pretty ****ty, very weak due to the large frog.

"Normal" bricks, doesn't make a lot of differerce.
Most bricks nowadays are extruded and don't have a frog.