Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default TOT; Day out

SWMBO and I are off for a day out on Sunday. €˜Captain Ridley's Shooting
Party. Can't say anymore, bit hush hush old chap.

Looking forward to it!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman scribbled

SWMBO and I are off for a day out on Sunday. ?Captain Ridley's Shooting
Party?. Can't say anymore, bit hush hush old chap.

Looking forward to it!

Going north. Don't get lost crossing the river.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/05/2015 09:02, Jonno wrote:
The Medway Handyman scribbled

SWMBO and I are off for a day out on Sunday. ?Captain Ridley's Shooting
Party?. Can't say anymore, bit hush hush old chap.

Looking forward to it!

Going north. Don't get lost crossing the river.

Coach trip old chap.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/05/2015 09:02, Jonno wrote:
The Medway Handyman scribbled

SWMBO and I are off for a day out on Sunday. ?Captain Ridley's Shooting
Party?. Can't say anymore, bit hush hush old chap.

Looking forward to it!

Going north. Don't get lost crossing the river.

Coach trip old chap.

I avoid those. IME they either don't give you enough time at your
destination, or leave you standing around, usually, it seems, in the wet
or the cold, for far too long.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/05/15 09:13, Nightjar "cpb"@ wrote:
On 08/05/2015 09:02, Jonno wrote:
The Medway Handyman scribbled

SWMBO and I are off for a day out on Sunday. ?Captain Ridley's
Shooting
Party?. Can't say anymore, bit hush hush old chap.

Looking forward to it!

Going north. Don't get lost crossing the river.

Coach trip old chap.

I avoid those. IME they either don't give you enough time at your
destination, or leave you standing around, usually, it seems, in the wet
or the cold, for far too long.

Try a chinese tourist coach trip. Up at 6am, off by about 7.30 after
breakfast. You do get to see a lot though - but it is not "relaxing".

I did 2 trips to the same place (Wu Tai Shan, a place full of mountains
and buddhist monsteries) - first time we took ourselves with my brother
in law as guide. The second time on a coach trip.

The 2nd packed in the sights, but the first was way more relaxing and we
actually saw mo

1) We bumped into a nun who spoke English and got an impromptu mini tour
of a nunnery and saw some very interesting things;

2) Cable car ride over the valley - by cable car, think "ski lift" - by
feck that was scary.

3) Saw a snake by a ford where a bloke was washing his motorbike.

4) I learnt how to assess hotels and that only certain hotels have a
"foreign guest" license.

and quite a lot of other random stuff...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,

On 2015-05-08, Nightjar "cpb"@ wrote:
On 08/05/2015 09:02, Jonno wrote:
The Medway Handyman scribbled

Coach trip old chap.

I avoid those. IME they either don't give you enough time at your
destination, or leave you standing around, usually, it seems, in the wet
or the cold, for far too long.

And when the transport arrives ... it's a coach.

Hahahaha! Thanks for the smile Huge!

J.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/05/15 09:58, Huge wrote:

The Hubin hotel in Xian - the worst hotel I've ever stayed in. We slept
in arm-chairs in the lobby, since the carpet in our room was saturated
with raw sewage.

One other place I learnt "do not book a ground floor room" as we played
"**** the cockroach" all evening and morning. Not that the first floor
would be free, but the number of roaches and other atomically enhanced
oversized wildlife that was just walking in the front door and down the
hall let me to believe the higher floors might have an advantage.

and quite a lot of other random stuff...

Ditto. I really must get round to scanning the photos. After all, I've
only had them ~35 years.

You should - it will be quite unique compared to now when things are
getting more tourist oriented.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Are you using the shooting brake to go there, what ho.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
SWMBO and I are off for a day out on Sunday. ?~Captain Ridley's Shooting
Party?T. Can't say anymore, bit hush hush old chap.

Looking forward to it!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/05/2015 09:58, Huge wrote:

We bumped into a guy in Xian night market who spoke English & wanted to
practise it. We gathered a crowd.

Actually, gathering crowds was pretty standard. You'd be standing looking
at something and when you turned round, there'd be 20 Chinese looking at
you.

Still happens. We've just come back from a month in China. On most days
we had 'onlookers' and there were few days where we were not asked to
pose for photographs with the locals.

Not a problem: I took enough of them!

www.vulcantothesky.org - keep the last remaining Vulcan flying

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8 May 2015 08:58:48 GMT
Huge wrote:

The Hubin hotel in Xian - the worst hotel I've ever stayed in. We
slept in arm-chairs in the lobby, since the carpet in our room was
saturated with raw sewage.

In 1981, we stayed at the only foreign hotel in Xi'an, I think it was
called the Golden flower then. We were there for the Chinese New Year.
It was a good hotel, thankfully, and had a contingent of American
engineers staying there for a few months. The food was excellent, and
one evening there was a professional opera singer in the restaurant,
and he was great.
The highlight of the weekend was when the hotel put on a firework
display for the New Year. The staff pulled a load of tea chests filled
with fireworks out in front of the hotel, which had an extensive glass
frontage, but instead of taking individual fireworks out and lighting
them, they just threw some flaming spills into them and left quickly.
There followed a wonderful display of massive uncontrolled fireworks,
with rockets going off in all directions, roman candles that couldn't
escape, you name it. Great fun!

--
Davey.