Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default New mobile phone chip question

I received my new (unlocked) mobile phone today and found that the chip
from my old phone is too big. I have a contract with THREE.
Does anyone know the procedure to get a smaller chip from THREE to fit
the phone, with my existing number (of course)?
I mean, will they automatically send me the correct size with my
existing number on it and ready to work.....complete with all my
contacts etc?

Anyone encountered this problem before?
--
Ronnie
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ronnie" wrote in message
I received my new (unlocked) mobile phone today and found that the chip
from my old phone is too big. I have a contract with THREE.
Does anyone know the procedure to get a smaller chip from THREE to fit the
phone, with my existing number (of course)?
I mean, will they automatically send me the correct size with my existing
number on it and ready to work.....complete with all my contacts etc?

How are THREE going to know your freinds and relatives names and numbers?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/04/2015 19:51, Phil L wrote:
"Ronnie" wrote in message
I received my new (unlocked) mobile phone today and found that the chip
from my old phone is too big. I have a contract with THREE.
Does anyone know the procedure to get a smaller chip from THREE to fit the
phone, with my existing number (of course)?
I mean, will they automatically send me the correct size with my existing
number on it and ready to work.....complete with all my contacts etc?

How are THREE going to know your freinds and relatives names and numbers?

Ah, that stays on the phone memory. Just realised that.

The most important question is the transfer of my existing number onto a
new smaller chip, ie; has anyone done this.
It is a Sim contract.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ronnie" wrote in message
I received my new (unlocked) mobile phone today and found that the chip
from my old phone is too big. I have a contract with THREE.
Does anyone know the procedure to get a smaller chip from THREE to fit
the
phone, with my existing number (of course)?
I mean, will they automatically send me the correct size with my
existing
number on it and ready to work.....complete with all my contacts etc?

How are THREE going to know your freinds and relatives names and numbers?

Ah, that stays on the phone memory. Just realised that.

The most important question is the transfer of my existing number onto a
new smaller chip, ie; has anyone done this.
It is a Sim contract.

I've had the same number for 6 years, it's been on four different sim cards,
so yes, it's easily do-able.

If you've got a very old sim card, it'll be too big for today's phones, when
you get a new one, contact THREE and tell them you want your old number
assigned to the new sim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ronnie wrote:
I received my new (unlocked) mobile phone today and found that the chip
from my old phone is too big. I have a contract with THREE.
Does anyone know the procedure to get a smaller chip from THREE to fit
the phone, with my existing number (of course)?

Ring Three and ask for one, or call in at a shop. It should be free of
charge.

I mean, will they automatically send me the correct size with my
existing number on it and ready to work...

You might need to fill in an online form identifying the SIM you want
the number transferred to.

...complete with all my
contacts etc?

No, they don't know your contacts. You don't say what type of phones you
have, but when I wanted to transfer my contacts to an iPhone I found the
easiest way was to email them to myself. I'd do that straight away
before Three disables the old SIM card.

If they're both iPhones you can simply restore from an iCloud backup.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/04/15 19:44, Ronnie wrote:
I received my new (unlocked) mobile phone today and found that the chip
from my old phone is too big. I have a contract with THREE.
Does anyone know the procedure to get a smaller chip from THREE to fit
the phone, with my existing number (of course)?
I mean, will they automatically send me the correct size with my
existing number on it and ready to work.....

Yes, if you ask them for the correct SIM format

complete with all my
contacts etc?

No - some will be in the phone, some on the SIM physically -
transferring those is upto you.

The recommended way would be to pull the old SIM based ones plus the old
phone ones onto (eg) Gmail then pull them back to the new phone from the
same source.

Anyone encountered this problem before?

Frequently - I tend to avoid it by not storing anything on the phone or
the SIM that is not mirrored to an external service (like GMail).

That just leaves me a bunch of files to copy over from one phone's
storage to the other (or use an SD card).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ronnie" wrote in message
I received my new (unlocked) mobile phone today and found that the chip
from my old phone is too big. I have a contract with THREE.
Does anyone know the procedure to get a smaller chip from THREE to
fit the
phone, with my existing number (of course)?
I mean, will they automatically send me the correct size with my
existing
number on it and ready to work.....complete with all my contacts etc?

How are THREE going to know your freinds and relatives names and numbers?

Ah, that stays on the phone memory. Just realised that.

The most important question is the transfer of my existing number onto a
new smaller chip, ie; has anyone done this.
It is a Sim contract.

3 will issue you a new SIM tied to your account - the number comes with
that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ronnie" wrote in message
[...]

Nice one, thanks for that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/04/2015 20:08, Mike Barnes wrote:
Ronnie wrote:
[...]

It's an OPPO FIND 7.....and thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 25 April 2015 19:44:04 UTC+1, Ronnie wrote:
I mean, will they automatically send me the correct size with my
existing number on it and ready to work.....complete with all my
contacts etc?

They can send you out a new SIM with your existing number (and credit).

To get your contacts transferred over, try asking in a mobile phone shop as many shops have SIM readers which can do this.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/04/2015 19:44, Ronnie wrote:
I received my new (unlocked) mobile phone today and found that the chip
from my old phone is too big. I have a contract with THREE.
Does anyone know the procedure to get a smaller chip from THREE to fit
the phone, with my existing number (of course)?
I mean, will they automatically send me the correct size with my
existing number on it and ready to work.....complete with all my
contacts etc?

Anyone encountered this problem before?

Its quite easy to DIYit. There are templates on-line to convert normal
sims to Mirco or Nano. I have cut a few down. you can also get a sim
card cutter for a few quid of ebay.

--
Eednud
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ronnie wrote:

Mike Barnes wrote:

If they're both iPhones you can simply restore from an iCloud backup.

It's an OPPO FIND 7

That says it's "based on Android", dunno if that's close enough to let
you sync contacts etc from a Google account, if your previous phone was
Android - I suspect not.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil L" wrote in message

"Ronnie" wrote in message
I received my new (unlocked) mobile phone today and found that the chip
from my old phone is too big. I have a contract with THREE.
Does anyone know the procedure to get a smaller chip from THREE to fit
the phone, with my existing number (of course)?
I mean, will they automatically send me the correct size with my existing
number on it and ready to work.....complete with all my contacts etc?

How are THREE going to know your freinds and relatives names and numbers?

It isn't hard to walk into one of their stores and have
them copy that stuff from the old sim to the new one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/04/2015 20:48, Eednud wrote:
On 25/04/2015 19:44, Ronnie wrote:
I received my new (unlocked) mobile phone today and found that the chip
from my old phone is too big. I have a contract with THREE.
Does anyone know the procedure to get a smaller chip from THREE to fit
the phone, with my existing number (of course)?
I mean, will they automatically send me the correct size with my
existing number on it and ready to work.....complete with all my
contacts etc?

Anyone encountered this problem before?

Its quite easy to DIYit. There are templates on-line to convert normal
sims to Mirco or Nano. I have cut a few down. you can also get a sim
card cutter for a few quid of ebay.

I didn't know that, thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ronnie" wrote in message
I received my new (unlocked) mobile phone today and found that the chip
from my old phone is too big. I have a contract with THREE.
Does anyone know the procedure to get a smaller chip from THREE to fit
the
phone, with my existing number (of course)?
I mean, will they automatically send me the correct size with my
existing
number on it and ready to work.....complete with all my contacts etc?

How are THREE going to know your freinds and relatives names and numbers?

Ah, that stays on the phone memory. Just realised that.

It isn't that black and white. The numbers can be on the sim,
what you call the chip, or in phone memory and some phones
allow you to specify which to use and to copy between them.

If it is in phone memory, PhoneCopy is the best way to move the contacts
between the old phone and the new one, free in that situation.

Your contacts do move thru their system, but I haven't had any spam calls.

The most important question is the transfer of my existing number onto a
new smaller chip, ie; has anyone done this.

Yes, lots have when the smartphone started using nanosims.

It is a Sim contract.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 25 Apr 2015 19:44:02 +0100, Ronnie wrote:

Anyone encountered this problem before?

Anybody who has bought a new phone and found the SIM doesn't fit, ie
loads of people. In very simple terms the phone number is just a
reference into a database that gives the ID number of the SIM and the
ID number of the phone, these are long numbers 14 digits, may be
more. The network checks neither the SIM or phone is blocked and if
not blocked allows calls etc to happen.

So to change SIM you get one of a suitable size and function (ie
contract in your, though I'm not usre it's relevant) from your
network operator. You can then probably wander over to their web
site, fill in an online form with your number, new SIM number and old
SIM number and it just happens. The hard bit is reading the tiny
print giving the ID number of the SIMs, the new one should have it on
the packaging but I bet you haven't got that for the old one.

Contacts, if new SIM can fit old phone. Transfer any contacts on old
SIM into old phone, take out old SIM put in new SIM transfer all
contacts to new SIM, remove put in new phone, transfer contacts to
phone. By default most phones use the phone for storage not the SIM.

Or if you go to your network operators shop to get a new SIM, with
old and new phones and old SIM they'll do the transfer for you.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ronnie" wrote in message
[...]

Don't know where you are, but if you have a Three store locally they can
do it on the spot.

HTH

Chris K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
wrote in message
I received my new (unlocked) mobile phone today and found that the chip
from my old phone is too big. I have a contract with THREE.
Does anyone know the procedure to get a smaller chip from THREE to fit the
phone, with my existing number (of course)?
I mean, will they automatically send me the correct size with my existing
number on it and ready to work.....complete with all my contacts etc?

How are THREE going to know your freinds and relatives names and numbers?

I always store mine on the sim. This can easily be duplicated. That way
when moving sims between phones, all the numbers are there.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ronnie pretended :
I received my new (unlocked) mobile phone today and found that the chip from
my old phone is too big. I have a contract with THREE.
Does anyone know the procedure to get a smaller chip from THREE to fit the
phone, with my existing number (of course)?
I mean, will they automatically send me the correct size with my existing
number on it and ready to work.....complete with all my contacts etc?

Anyone encountered this problem before?

Just get a SIM cutter and cut your existing one to size. Here's a link
to Ebay SIM cutters or, if you need it urgently I'm sure you'll get one
from a local market stall or shop.
http://tinyurl.com/nrwgmly

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/04/2015 19:44, Ronnie wrote:
I received my new (unlocked) mobile phone today and found that the chip
from my old phone is too big. I have a contract with THREE.
Does anyone know the procedure to get a smaller chip from THREE to fit
the phone, with my existing number (of course)?
I mean, will they automatically send me the correct size with my
existing number on it and ready to work.....complete with all my
contacts etc?

Anyone encountered this problem before?

If you had a mini sim and now need a micro one, print out the template:

http://www.thechinacellphone.com/micro_sim_template.pdf

stick the sim to it, and chop off at the lines.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/04/2015 21:01, Andy Burns wrote:
Ronnie wrote:

Mike Barnes wrote:

If they're both iPhones you can simply restore from an iCloud backup.

It's an OPPO FIND 7

That says it's "based on Android", dunno if that's close enough to let
you sync contacts etc from a Google account, if your previous phone was
Android - I suspect not.

Yes, my other phone is an Android.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/04/2015 21:15, Rod Speed wrote:

"Phil L" wrote in message

"Ronnie" wrote in message
I received my new (unlocked) mobile phone today and found that the
chip from my old phone is too big. I have a contract with THREE.
Does anyone know the procedure to get a smaller chip from THREE to
fit the phone, with my existing number (of course)?
I mean, will they automatically send me the correct size with my
existing number on it and ready to work.....complete with all my
contacts etc?

How are THREE going to know your freinds and relatives names and numbers?

It isn't hard to walk into one of their stores and have
them copy that stuff from the old sim to the new one.

Fair enough, I didn't know they could do that, but thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/04/2015 21:55, Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

Thanks for your help.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ronnie" wrote in message
[...]

Cheers, very handy to know.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ronnie" wrote in message
I received my new (unlocked) mobile phone today and found that the chip
from my old phone is too big. I have a contract with THREE.
Does anyone know the procedure to get a smaller chip from THREE to fit the
phone, with my existing number (of course)?
I mean, will they automatically send me the correct size with my existing
number on it and ready to work.....complete with all my contacts etc?

How are THREE going to know your freinds and relatives names and numbers?

Ah, that stays on the phone memory. Just realised that.

The most important question is the transfer of my existing number onto a
new smaller chip, ie; has anyone done this.
It is a Sim contract.

http://tinyurl.com/p2nf7cq
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've seen three sizes. I gather the very small sims can have an adaptor, but
the thin ones are incompatible with the others. I'm sure I saw these options
on a web site just selling sims the other day, so they have to be out there.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Ronnie" wrote in message
I received my new (unlocked) mobile phone today and found that the chip
from my old phone is too big. I have a contract with THREE.
Does anyone know the procedure to get a smaller chip from THREE to fit the
phone, with my existing number (of course)?
I mean, will they automatically send me the correct size with my existing
number on it and ready to work.....complete with all my contacts etc?

Anyone encountered this problem before?
--
Ronnie

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/04/2015 08:11, Brian Gaff wrote:
I've seen three sizes. I gather the very small sims can have an adaptor, but
the thin ones are incompatible with the others. I'm sure I saw these options
on a web site just selling sims the other day, so they have to be out there.
Brian

Thanks to all who offered help on this thread.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

I've seen three sizes.

There are four now.

My first GSM phone took the full sized sim card the size of a credit
card, quickly most phones switched to the mini sim, and that was in use
for so long that most people call that the standard size, then in recent
years micro and nano sims have come along ...

I gather the very small sims can have an adaptor

I've used micro to mini adapters without problems, never used a nano sim.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Ronnie writes:
Don't know where you are, but if you have a Three store locally they can
do it on the spot.

HTH

Chris K

Cheers, very handy to know.

Carphone Warehouse started charging more to cut a SIM down
than it costs you to buy a cheap SIM cutter and DIY (unless
they are doing it because you just bought a phone from them
and your SIM needs cutting for that phone).

Note that really old SIMs are not always safe to cut down -
the chip can be positioned where it will get damaged.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 26 Apr 2015 08:11:06 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

I've seen three sizes. I gather the very small sims can have an adaptor,
but the thin ones are incompatible with the others.

There is also something about operating voltage, some (old) are 5 V,
newer ones 3 V or less? I sort of work on the basis that this is
consumer kit and if it fits without being forced it should work or if
not work not suffer damage.

Using a SIM cutter muddies that simples "fitting without force"
caveat though.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/04/2015 10:27, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Ronnie writes:
Don't know where you are, but if you have a Three store locally they can
do it on the spot.

HTH

Chris K

Cheers, very handy to know.

Carphone Warehouse started charging more to cut a SIM down
than it costs you to buy a cheap SIM cutter and DIY (unless
they are doing it because you just bought a phone from them
and your SIM needs cutting for that phone).

Note that really old SIMs are not always safe to cut down -
the chip can be positioned where it will get damaged.

Good point and sounds a bit risky. I'll get THREE to send me a Micro chip.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"Phil L" wrote in message

"Ronnie" wrote in message
I received my new (unlocked) mobile phone today and found that the chip
from my old phone is too big. I have a contract with THREE.
Does anyone know the procedure to get a smaller chip from THREE to fit
the phone, with my existing number (of course)?
I mean, will they automatically send me the correct size with my
existing number on it and ready to work.....complete with all my
contacts etc?

How are THREE going to know your freinds and relatives names and numbers?

It isn't hard to walk into one of their stores and have
them copy that stuff from the old sim to the new one.

It is if the nearest one's 26 miles away

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tim....." wrote in message

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"Phil L" wrote in message

"Ronnie" wrote in message
I received my new (unlocked) mobile phone today and found that the chip
from my old phone is too big. I have a contract with THREE.
Does anyone know the procedure to get a smaller chip from THREE to fit
the phone, with my existing number (of course)?
I mean, will they automatically send me the correct size with my
existing number on it and ready to work.....complete with all my
contacts etc?

How are THREE going to know your freinds and relatives names and
numbers?

It isn't hard to walk into one of their stores and have
them copy that stuff from the old sim to the new one.

It is if the nearest one's 26 miles away

Nope, you drive there and walk from the car into their store, stupid.