Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Using Rosate 36

I bought a litre of Rosate 36 last year, and was delighted with the
results.

However, I have forgotten, and cannot find, the recommended dilution for
ordinary garden use - young nettles, dandelions etc.

Any thoughts?
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Chris Hogg
writes
On Thu, 23 Apr 2015 16:20:33 +0100, News
wrote:

However, I have forgotten, and cannot find, the recommended dilution for
ordinary garden use - young nettles, dandelions etc.

Or pro rata, e.g. 100 ml in 5 litres, 10 ml in 500 ml. I'd go for this
higher dilution rate. Takes a bit longer to take effect but has more
time to spread through the whole plant.

Excellent. Thanks Chris. All I could find were rates per hectare or
whatever :-) My Hozelock sprayer failed, so I was delighted to find a
little O ring in the shed, which seems to have cured that problem.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I just bought some this year and did a back of the fag packet calculation. I came in at about tenfold less of the concentrate for my 5l sprayer than suggested in the first reply (i.e. I thought that about 10ml of the concentrate should suffice). I will check and post my working out.

Regards. Terry.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , News
writes
wrote:

However, I have forgotten, and cannot find, the recommended dilution for
ordinary garden use - young nettles, dandelions etc.

Or pro rata, e.g. 100 ml in 5 litres, 10 ml in 500 ml. I'd go for this
higher dilution rate. Takes a bit longer to take effect but has more
time to spread through the whole plant.

Excellent. Thanks Chris. All I could find were rates per hectare or
whatever :-) My Hozelock sprayer failed, so I was delighted to find a
little O ring in the shed, which seems to have cured that problem.

The pumps with the O-ring on the piston quite often appear to stick and
get damaged if forced. It's worth dismantling the pump before this
happens and lub-ing the O-ring sparingly with some silicone grease to
avoid this. I have had one stick a little after some disuse following
treatment but some easy pressure on the pump freed it off.

This was after spraying a water based insecticide.

--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

News wrote:

I bought a litre of Rosate 36 last year, and was delighted with the
results.

However, I have forgotten, and cannot find, the recommended dilution for
ordinary garden use

Using Gallup 360 (which I think is the same concentration) I use 25ml
per litre of water in a sprayer.

p.s. Are you sure the bottle label doesn't peel away to reveal the
instructions?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , fred writes
In article , News
writes

Excellent. Thanks Chris. All I could find were rates per hectare or
whatever :-) My Hozelock sprayer failed, so I was delighted to find a
little O ring in the shed, which seems to have cured that problem.

The pumps with the O-ring on the piston quite often appear to stick and
get damaged if forced. It's worth dismantling the pump before this
happens and lub-ing the O-ring sparingly with some silicone grease to
avoid this. I have had one stick a little after some disuse following
treatment but some easy pressure on the pump freed it off.

Excellent, thanks. Yes, this pump was found here in the greenhouse when
we moved in 13 years ago, and it was old then. Probably due a little
TLC.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy
Burns writes

p.s. Are you sure the bottle label doesn't peel away to reveal the
instructions?

The label does indeed peel back, and I'm sure the dilution rate must be
there somewhere, but all I could find was application rates for farms
and estates. Thought it best to ask those who use the same product on a
much smaller scale.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/04/2015 16:20, News wrote:
I bought a litre of Rosate 36 last year, and was delighted with the
results.

However, I have forgotten, and cannot find, the recommended dilution for
ordinary garden use - young nettles, dandelions etc.

Any thoughts?

You can google this.

My first hit:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ROSATE-36-PR.../dp/B00CBXKFLS
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On eBay it advises 20ml per litre of water
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/07/2020 08:42, wrote:
On eBay it advises 20ml per litre of water

If you buy the small 10ml size bottle of this weed killer - possibly
enough for a small flower pot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/07/2020 09:42, Scott wrote:

snip

Once we leave the EU can we have sodium chlorate back? I remember a
garden with four foot weeds and we applied NaClO3 and in less that two
hours it looked like the place had been napalmed.

No harmful residues.

So why will nothing much grow there for a year or so?

I know this substance was previously used for malign purposes but my
understanding is that such persons now use different products instead.

The reason for using it was that it was easy to get. I used it a lot
when young, it makes me shiver now. A little bit of knowledge is a
dangerous thing - I had no idea how sensitive it was when hammering the
ends of a copper tube shut with sugar and sodium chlorate inside.

And the rocket I made with dried chlorate-soaked newspaper rolled up
inside some ally tube didn't lift off, it exploded bigly.
--
Cheers
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 9 Jul 2020 10:02:50 +0100, Clive Arthur
wrote:

[...]

I know there were challenges. Someone I know as a student went to
school in Liverpool and they demolished the cycle shed, which required
a bit of calculation in the days before electronic calculators.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/07/2020 10:02, Clive Arthur wrote:
[...]

Funny, so did mine! I found the shrapnel a year later. Ugly

*--
Cheers
Clive

--
The New Left are the people they warned you about.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Nothing but ten times overdose ever worked on brambles, for me.

SBK or Ammonium Sulphamate "compost accelerator" work
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/07/2020 10:24, Andy Burns wrote:
Ammonium Sulphamate "compost accelerator" work

Yes I like to aid composting of tree stumps in situ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/07/2020 10:24, Andy Burns wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Nothing but ten times overdose ever worked on brambles, for me.

SBK or Ammonium Sulphamate "compost accelerator" work

Not doing very well with thunderbird Andy sorry for personal reply.

I said I too like to aid composting of tree stumps in situ.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/07/2020 10:20, charles wrote:
In article ,
Scott wrote:
On Thu, 9 Jul 2020 00:42:23 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On eBay it advises 20ml per litre of water

Once we leave the EU can we have sodium chlorate back? I remember a
garden with four foot weeds and we applied NaClO3 and in less that two
hours it looked like the place had been napalmed.

No harmful residues.

I know this substance was previously used for malign purposes but my
understanding is that such persons now use different products instead.

just add icing sugar .....

Interesting
So if you want to permanently poison e.g, a driveway, bleach should do
it and it will decay to chlorate and salt. Boiling it first will decay
it lot first.....

"Sodium hypochlorite is stable above pH 12 where the less reactive
hypochlorite is predominant and hypochlorous acid is virtually
non-existent.Decomposition is by Eq. 4 and 5.

4) 3 NaOCl = NaClO3 + 2 NaCl

5) 2 NaOCl = O2 + 2 NaClEq.

4 is the major decomposition reaction forming chlorate (ClO3-) and
chloride (Cl-). This reaction is temperature and concentration
dependent; it is not catalytic. Eq. 5 is catalytic, forming oxygen (O2)
and chloride. Trace metals such as nickel, cobalt and copper form metal
oxides, which cause catalytic decomposition. Light also catalyses this
reaction."

--
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit
atrocities.

Voltaire, Questions sur les Miracles * M. Claparede, Professeur de
Théologie * Genève, par un Proposant: Ou Extrait de Diverses Lettres de
M. de Voltaire
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On eBay it advises 20ml per litre of water

Once we leave the EU can we have sodium chlorate back?

It was probably banned for very different reasons, like ammonia.