Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DAB and FM combi aerial

Has anyone had any experience of using these combined FM and DAB aerials by
Antiference?

http://www.antiference.co.uk/files/DAB-FM.png

Any good?

--
Best Wishes
Simon (Dark Angel)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Simon T darkangel5@REMOVETHISB
ITlineone.net scribeth thus
Has anyone had any experience of using these combined FM and DAB aerials by
Antiference?

http://www.antiference.co.uk/files/DAB-FM.png

Any good?

Wouldn't give it house room, get a Vertical FM dipole and that will
suffice much better...

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

What design is it? I know one exists that has two fm elements and about four
vertical dab elements diplexer together at the connection box and
presumably undiplexed at the bottom. However, whether you actually gain
anything unless you have a difficult reception area, is a moot point. the
other things I've seen are basically just a vertical rod and aan fm dipole
or halo. they are probably not worth bothering with, as any old bit of
alluminium free from obstacles would probably perform OK in a normal signal
area.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , Simon T darkangel5@REMOVETHISB
ITlineone.net scribeth thus
Has anyone had any experience of using these combined FM and DAB aerials
by
Antiference?

http://www.antiference.co.uk/files/DAB-FM.png

Any good?

Wouldn't give it house room, get a Vertical FM dipole and that will
suffice much better...

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Brian Gaff" writes:
What design is it?

A band II aerial (FM) and a band III aerial (DAB).
They are both folded dipoles.
The band II is omnidirectional horiziontally polarised (i.e.
wrapped into a most of a circle, and the band III is vertically
polarised in the centre of the band II circle.

There's presumably a diplexer to combine and impedance match
inside the connection block, but that's not visible.

I know one exists that has two fm elements and about four
vertical dab elements diplexer together at the connection box and
presumably undiplexed at the bottom. However, whether you actually gain
anything unless you have a difficult reception area, is a moot point. the
other things I've seen are basically just a vertical rod and aan fm dipole
or halo. they are probably not worth bothering with, as any old bit of
alluminium free from obstacles would probably perform OK in a normal signal
area.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/04/2015 12:44, tony sayer wrote:
In article , Simon T darkangel5@REMOVETHISB
ITlineone.net scribeth thus
Has anyone had any experience of using these combined FM and DAB aerials by
Antiference?

http://www.antiference.co.uk/files/DAB-FM.png

Any good?

Wouldn't give it house room, get a Vertical FM dipole and that will
suffice much better...

That's what I use. DAB performance is no worse (or better) than a dipole
cut for Band III, I discovered after conducting an experiment,

--
Mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/04/2015 12:44, tony sayer wrote:
In article , Simon T darkangel5@REMOVETHISB
ITlineone.net scribeth thus
Has anyone had any experience of using these combined FM and DAB aerials by
Antiference?

http://www.antiference.co.uk/files/DAB-FM.png

Any good?

Wouldn't give it house room, get a Vertical FM dipole and that will
suffice much better...

Or buy a house that still has a Band 405 TV aeriel attached to the
chimney. Could be a bit tatty by now.

However, there is only such much that DAB can be improved (sows ear,
silk purse).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/04/2015 10:08, Simon T wrote:
Has anyone had any experience of using these combined FM and DAB aerials
by Antiference?

http://www.antiference.co.uk/files/DAB-FM.png

Any good?

http://www.aerialsandtv.com/fmanddabradio.html#FMandDABaerialTests
or
http://tinyurl.com/okh5amc

http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/roguesgallery/022.shtml

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"alan_m" wrote in message ...
http://tinyurl.com/okh5amc

Thanks, I've read that article. But the aerial I was interested in wasn't in
the review.

http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/roguesgallery/022.shtml

Ahh yes, thanks for that link, seen that gallery before, but had lost the
URL. Always good for a chuckle!
--
Best Wishes
Simon (Dark Angel)
http://www.realmofhorror.co.uk
http://twitter.com/RealmofHorror
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Realm-...43030832454357

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 Apr 2015 10:08:37 +0100, "Simon T"
wrote:

Has anyone had any experience of using these combined FM and DAB aerials by
Antiference?

http://www.antiference.co.uk/files/DAB-FM.png

Any good?

The short answer is it will probebly be fine unless you are in a
challenging reception area.

The long answer is that this type of aerial is disliked by those of us
who know a thing or two about aerials.

The DAB part is OK, the problem is the FM "halo".
It attempts to provide omni-directional reception using the
horizontally polarised signals from the transmitter. These are
retained largely for legacy reasons, and a more effective
omnidirectional aerial would use the vertically polerised component,
as all HP transmitters also have VP (mixed poleroisation).
This would be a second (longer) vertical dipole.

Worse still, a few FM transmitters do not carry the horizontal
component at all, in which case your halo will be as effective as a
piece of wet string.

That's not to say that wet string cannot deliver perfect reception in
a good signal area when mounted high up.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon T wrote:
Has anyone had any experience of using these combined FM and DAB aerials
by Antiference?

http://www.antiference.co.uk/files/DAB-FM.png

Any good?

At the risk of reiterating the words of others. . .

These things are made to sell, not to use.
Two separate aerials are better, and both should be vertical dipoles. I
have discussed these combined aerials with two manufacturers and the
reason the FM is a halo is because two vertical dipoles on the same boom
would be an obviously pointless product and there might be interactions.

It's good to have a folded dipole for DAB because you might need the
extra bandwidth this has over a non-folded one, if they start using the
lower channels.

If the aerial shown has a combiner/diplexer in one of the junction boxes
I should think it would often remain unused and two downleads would be
fitted.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/04/2015 10:08, Simon T wrote:
Has anyone had any experience of using these combined FM and DAB aerials
by Antiference?

http://www.antiference.co.uk/files/DAB-FM.png

Any good?

I use a DAB folded dipole for both DAB and FM. I am not that far from
the Wrotham transmitter.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Chare wrote:
On 13/04/2015 10:08, Simon T wrote:
Has anyone had any experience of using these combined FM and DAB aerials
by Antiference?

http://www.antiference.co.uk/files/DAB-FM.png

Any good?

I use a DAB folded dipole for both DAB and FM. I am not that far from
the Wrotham transmitter.

A vertical unfolded FM dipole without a balun will work remarkably well
for DAB.

A folded FM dipole will have to have a balun, and it will be much less
effective for DAB (I'm not contradicting the poster above).

A unfolded DAB dipole will work a bit on FM.

A folded DAB dipole will have to have a balun, and it will be useless on FM.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/04/2015 02:36, Bill Wright wrote:

A folded DAB dipole will have to have a balun, and it will be useless on
FM.

Thank you for the information. I possibly have just what I need!

Recently I have had some FM 'interference' which is probably receiver
overload and can be stopped by unplugging the aerial lead from the wall
socket.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Michael
Chare scribeth thus
On 14/04/2015 02:36, Bill Wright wrote:

A folded DAB dipole will have to have a balun, and it will be useless on
FM.

Thank you for the information. I possibly have just what I need!

Recently I have had some FM 'interference' which is probably receiver
overload and can be stopped by unplugging the aerial lead from the wall
socket.

Can you say where or roughly where you live so we can see what the
serving transmitter is for your area?..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/04/2015 00:05, tony sayer wrote:
In article , Michael
Chare scribeth thus
On 14/04/2015 02:36, Bill Wright wrote:

A folded DAB dipole will have to have a balun, and it will be useless on
FM.

Thank you for the information. I possibly have just what I need!

Recently I have had some FM 'interference' which is probably receiver
overload and can be stopped by unplugging the aerial lead from the wall
socket.

Can you say where or roughly where you live so we can see what the
serving transmitter is for your area?..

I'm about 7km sw of the Wrotham transmitter, and just about have line of
sight if you ignore the trees.

--
Michael Chare

TV aerial? Adrian UK diy 116 June 18th 13 10:18 AM
tv aerial Pete[_15_] UK diy 4 April 12th 11 10:56 PM
DAB aerial Andy Burns UK diy 6 May 12th 07 09:56 PM
WICKS combi 82, Halstead combi boiler [email protected] UK diy 3 September 12th 05 02:02 AM
Advice any combi or Vaillant Combi 828plus in loft? elad UK diy 6 January 27th 05 10:19 PM