Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Alluminium clamp.

I need to clamp a cylindrical object to a flat surface. Diameter is approx
47mm - but I'd be using a rubber strip between them.

Obviously, I could make up some steel straps easily enough - but something
like cast ally would look better. Any sources of such things?

If it's a help it's an idle valve on a car.

--
*Haunted French pancakes give me the crepes.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Back years ago you used to be able to get something like this for capacitors
on cars. Most were steel, but some I remember were an alloy of some kind.
the give away was that they did not go rusty.

I doubt if they are made today though.
Brian

Email:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
I need to clamp a cylindrical object to a flat surface. Diameter is approx
47mm - but I'd be using a rubber strip between them.

Obviously, I could make up some steel straps easily enough - but something
like cast ally would look better. Any sources of such things?

If it's a help it's an idle valve on a car.

--
*Haunted French pancakes give me the crepes.*

Dave Plowman
London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/04/15 16:44, Brian Gaff wrote:
Back years ago you used to be able to get something like this for capacitors
on cars. Most were steel, but some I remember were an alloy of some kind.
the give away was that they did not go rusty.

I doubt if they are made today though.
Brian

Google for 'saddle clamp'

Loads to choose from

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 12/04/15 16:44, Brian Gaff wrote:
Back years ago you used to be able to get something like this for
capacitors on cars. Most were steel, but some I remember were an alloy
of some kind. the give away was that they did not go rusty.

I doubt if they are made today though.
Brian

Google for 'saddle clamp'

Loads to choose from

Thing is they all tend to be variations on a steel strip which I can make
myself. I was really after something a bit better looking - I could best
describe what I want as looking more like a big end bearing cap. Purely
from the look point of view.

--
*You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 12/04/15 16:44, Brian Gaff wrote:
Back years ago you used to be able to get something like this for
capacitors on cars. Most were steel, but some I remember were an alloy
of some kind. the give away was that they did not go rusty.

I doubt if they are made today though.
Brian

Google for 'saddle clamp'

Loads to choose from

Thing is they all tend to be variations on a steel strip which I can make
myself. I was really after something a bit better looking - I could best
describe what I want as looking more like a big end bearing cap. Purely
from the look point of view.

You mean something like a pillow block or plummer block?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pillow_block_bearing

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
newshound wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 12/04/15 16:44, Brian Gaff wrote:
Back years ago you used to be able to get something like this for
capacitors on cars. Most were steel, but some I remember were an alloy
of some kind. the give away was that they did not go rusty.

I doubt if they are made today though.
Brian

Google for 'saddle clamp'

Loads to choose from

Thing is they all tend to be variations on a steel strip which I can
make myself. I was really after something a bit better looking - I
could best describe what I want as looking more like a big end bearing
cap. Purely from the look point of view.

You mean something like a pillow block or plummer block?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pillow_block_bearing

Not really. Thinking more of two clamps perhaps 5mm or so wide. Obviously
a plain steel strip clamp would do the job - just fancied something better
looking.

--
*Why isn't there mouse-flavoured cat food?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

snip

Thinking more of two clamps perhaps 5mm or so wide. Obviously
a plain steel strip clamp would do the job - just fancied something better
looking.

A 'Hospital Bracket' perhaps, or a 'Stauff Pipe Clamp'?

Cheers
--
Syd
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
scribeth thus
In article ,
newshound wrote:
[...]

This, I suppose isn't quite what you mean?...

http://www.themetalstore.co.uk/produ...ate?utm_source
=google&utm_medium=product_feed&utm_campaign=produ cts&gclid=CPiT1cWV88QC
FUyWtAoduncApg
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 Apr 2015 10:20:45 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

I need to clamp a cylindrical object to a flat surface. Diameter is approx
47mm - but I'd be using a rubber strip between them.

Obviously, I could make up some steel straps easily enough - but something
like cast ally would look better. Any sources of such things?

If it's a help it's an idle valve on a car.

Something like these maybe? But they only come in doubles for 47mm = 1/ 7/8"

http://www.earls.co.uk/earls/accesso...eparators.html

The prices *will* be silly

You could possibly DIY with superglued/loctited together square aluminium along
the split line, cut the large hole with a holesaw in a drill press and file the
ends round. Far easier on a lathe or milling machine though

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Right - see if I get any better tips for this one. ;-)

Made up the plate. The output of the valve is a cast ally pipe of 22mm OD.
Not as perfect a pipe as, say, 22mm copper as it's part of a casting.
Really meant for a hose, but I'm poking it into the plenum direct. There
is already a larger hole there for the old idle valve.

So what I need to do is seal between the pipe on the valve and its
mounting plate, to stop air getting into the plenum.

It would be nice to allow for easy dismantling if needed.

I wondered about fitting an O ring? Could make a second plate to sandwich
it. But how to cut a suitable rebate in both those plates to contain the O
ring and allow it to expand when they are clamped together? Or should I
just use a sealant of some sort?

Think is it will be visible - more or less on the top of the engine - so
body filler or whatever wouldn't look that good.

I suppose something like a rubber grommet that the pipe is a tight fit
into might do - but the mounting plate is 6mm thick.

--
*Never kick a cow pat on a hot day *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Here's a drawing of it:-

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q309/trakkies/IdleDrawing_zpset6xnleq.jpg

--
*Honk if you love peace and quiet.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Here's a drawing of it:-

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q309/trakkies/IdleDrawing_zpset6xnleq.jpg

Might be easier to follow your description with an elevation rather than
a plan?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
newshound wrote:
Here's a drawing of it:-

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q309/trakkies/IdleDrawing_zpset6xnleq.jpg

Might be easier to follow your description with an elevation rather than
a plan?

Didn't need that for the mounting plate. And I'm not going to draw one
specially.

--
*Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

What I think I need is a top hat grommet or seal.

Plenty around, but the only ones I can find which are close come from the
US.

I need 22mm inside diameter. The US ones are 3/4" - but might be ok. But
can only buy them in bulk with high postal charges.

--
*One of us is thinking about sex... OK, it's me.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
What I think I need is a top hat grommet or seal.

Plenty around, but the only ones I can find which are close come from the
US.

I need 22mm inside diameter. The US ones are 3/4" - but might be ok. But
can only buy them in bulk with high postal charges.

Cast one from silicone?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Capitol wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
What I think I need is a top hat grommet or seal.

Plenty around, but the only ones I can find which are close come from
the US.

I need 22mm inside diameter. The US ones are 3/4" - but might be ok.
But can only buy them in bulk with high postal charges.

Cast one from silicone?

Easier said than done. ;-)

--
*Life is hard; then you nap

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 15 Apr 2015 18:06:09 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

Here's a drawing of it:-

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q309/trakkies/IdleDrawing_zpset6xnleq.jpg

Pity the valve spigot is not slightly more concentric in the hole, it it was
then a second plate clamping a sheet of neoprene with a hole cut or punched
through it would make a reasonable seal. If there is a bead on the spigot it
may mean you require a slightly bigger hole in the neoprene sheet which may
hinder the sealing.

Rather than directly fix the valve to the plenum I'd be tempted to make a
triangular shaped flat plate to bolt to the three holes which are presumably
where the orignal idle valve fitted, drill a hole through and loctite in a bare
pipe spigot*, and then use a bit of hose to connect to the new idle valve.

* I seem to recall someone in the UK motorsport trade had a range of these off
the shelf, all I can find are weld on threaded ones from think automotove and
merlin motorsport
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Here's a drawing of it:-

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q309/trakkies/IdleDrawing_zpset6xnleq.jpg

Pity the valve spigot is not slightly more concentric in the hole, it it
was then a second plate clamping a sheet of neoprene with a hole cut or
punched through it would make a reasonable seal. If there is a bead on
the spigot it may mean you require a slightly bigger hole in the
neoprene sheet which may hinder the sealing.

One idea I has was to make a second plate of the same thickness (6mm) -
needn't be as large - and do some form of rebate round the holes of both,
to contain an O ring which would compress between them. But not sure how
I'd make that rebate with the facilities I have.

Rather than directly fix the valve to the plenum I'd be tempted to make
a triangular shaped flat plate to bolt to the three holes which are
presumably where the orignal idle valve fitted, drill a hole through and
loctite in a bare pipe spigot*, and then use a bit of hose to connect to
the new idle valve.

I already have a hose outlet of the correct size which fit the plenum. But
it's a fairly awkward place to fit anything - lots of other things close
by, and quite tight to the bulkhead. Which is why I've mounted it as is.
I could have fitted the valve elsewhere and just run hoses to it - but
trying to keep things as neat as possible.

* I seem to recall someone in the UK motorsport trade had a range of
these off the shelf, all I can find are weld on threaded ones from think
automotove and merlin motorsport

--
*Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have *