Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ant control. Nuclear option?

For the last few years we have struggled to control ants that get into
the kitchen.

Have tried Nippon, and bait stations of various kinds but to no long
term effect.

For the 2015 campaign I am inclined to purchase this kit:

http://goo.gl/wpqe57 which will open several "fronts" in the war.

......unless anybody can suggest something better?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Vortex11" wrote in message ...

For the last few years we have struggled to control ants that get into
the kitchen.

Have tried Nippon, and bait stations of various kinds but to no long
term effect.

For the 2015 campaign I am inclined to purchase this kit:

http://goo.gl/wpqe57 which will open several "fronts" in the war.

.....unless anybody can suggest something better?

Lead them to a better food source away from the kitchen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 12 April 2015 09:10:37 UTC+1, Vortex11 wrote:
For the last few years we have struggled to control ants that get into
the kitchen.

Have tried Nippon, and bait stations of various kinds but to no long
term effect.

For the 2015 campaign I am inclined to purchase this kit:

http://goo.gl/wpqe57 which will open several "fronts" in the war.

.....unless anybody can suggest something better?

try to remove all food sources: clean floor daily, put loose foods in tupperware etc

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 Apr 2015 10:26:09 +0100, Richard wrote:

Lead them to a better food source away from the kitchen.

Or remove the food sources in the kitchen. Keep all shelves and
surfaces wiped down, clear up spills and splashes. All things that
ought to be daily routine anyway. Well perhaps not shelves but if
something leaks or spills clean it up.

If you can't see an obvious food source watch and follow the ants to
find it, they might be "just passing through".

Or you could move, we don't have ants, at 1400' winters are too cold
and summers too cool. Being snowing/sleeting all morning today, 2C
with a NE'ly. There are few ant colonys down in the town at 1,000',
the snow/sleet up here will be just rain in town.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/04/2015 09:09, Vortex11 wrote:

......unless anybody can suggest something better?

A mix of Borax (Sodium Tetraborate decahydrate )and icing sugar.
Many ebay sellers for borax.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 Apr 2015 14:31:46 +0100, alan_m
wrote:

On 12/04/2015 09:09, Vortex11 wrote:

......unless anybody can suggest something better?

A mix of Borax (Sodium Tetraborate decahydrate )and icing sugar.
Many ebay sellers for borax.

....and the borax will come in handy for shutting down the reaction if
you are finally forced into the nuclear option

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 Apr 2015 09:09:12 +0100, Vortex11
wrote:

For the last few years we have struggled to control ants that get into
the kitchen.

Have tried Nippon, and bait stations of various kinds but to no long
term effect.

For the 2015 campaign I am inclined to purchase this kit:

http://goo.gl/wpqe57 which will open several "fronts" in the war.

.....unless anybody can suggest something better?

Got an ingress a few years ago and got a gallon of paraffin which I
carefully used to soak all around the outside of the house and obvious
weak points inside including around where they were getting into the
kitchen. The house stank for a day or two - no more ants since.

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/04/2015 09:09, Vortex11 wrote:
For the last few years we have struggled to control ants that get into
the kitchen.

Have tried Nippon, and bait stations of various kinds but to no long
term effect.

For the 2015 campaign I am inclined to purchase this kit:

http://goo.gl/wpqe57 which will open several "fronts" in the war.

.....unless anybody can suggest something better?

Don't know if it is still available but Deathlac was very effective. It
is an aerosol which purs a thin layer of lacquer onto the surfaces,
containing insecticide. Apparently the ants pick up enough on their
feet to kill them. Iy is applied around any possible access points.

Malcolm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote
Vortex11 wrote

For the last few years we have struggled
to control ants that get into the kitchen.

Yeah, me too some years. Complete pain in the arse.

Got so bad some years that if you have roast lamb,
you could find them swarming over the leg on the
stainless steel tray thing that you cut it up on after
you have gone back into the kitchen after eating it.

And they manage to work out which of the marmalade
jars aren't sealed properly and make off with the entire
jar of marmalade if you don't notice that they have found
one.

Have tried Nippon, and bait stations of
various kinds but to no long term effect.

Yeah, I never did find anything that worked very well.

This year there just aren't any, not at all clear why.

For the 2015 campaign I am inclined to purchase this kit:

http://goo.gl/wpqe57 which will open several "fronts" in the war.

.....unless anybody can suggest something better?

try to remove all food sources: clean floor daily, put loose foods in
tupperware etc

Too much work IMO.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Malcolm Race wrote:
On 12/04/2015 09:09, Vortex11 wrote:
For the last few years we have struggled to control ants that get into
the kitchen.

Have tried Nippon, and bait stations of various kinds but to no long
term effect.

For the 2015 campaign I am inclined to purchase this kit:

http://goo.gl/wpqe57 which will open several "fronts" in the war.

.....unless anybody can suggest something better?

Don't know if it is still available but Deathlac was very effective. It
is an aerosol which purs a thin layer of lacquer onto the surfaces,
containing insecticide. Apparently the ants pick up enough on their feet
to kill them. Iy is applied around any possible access points.

Malcolm

I've had good results with ant powder blown behind cabinets and on
outside walls at ground level.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/04/2015 09:09, Vortex11 wrote:

For the last few years we have struggled to control ants that get into
the kitchen.

The solution is much simpler. Remove the food source(s) that they are
going in to visit. We had this problem once with an ill fitting glass
lid on a container of candied peel. The result was an amazing stream of
ants going to and fro when we got home one night. The mix of candied
peel and ants went straight in the bin!

If the scouts don't find anything to eat they quickly go home again.

Have tried Nippon, and bait stations of various kinds but to no long
term effect.

For the 2015 campaign I am inclined to purchase this kit:

http://goo.gl/wpqe57 which will open several "fronts" in the war.

.....unless anybody can suggest something better?

It is only worth killing the colonies closest to the kitchen and even
then if the location is suitable they will quickly re-establish.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ant control. Nuclear option? (mission creep)

On 12/04/2015 09:09, Vortex11 wrote:
For the last few years we have struggled to control ants that get into
the kitchen.

Have tried Nippon, and bait stations of various kinds but to no long
term effect.

For the 2015 campaign I am inclined to purchase this kit:

http://goo.gl/wpqe57 which will open several "fronts" in the war.

.....unless anybody can suggest something better?

Brief update.

After all efforts to control the ants failed, I switched tack to trace
where they were coming from.

Upper story of our home is (1960's) timber frame, and I located the nest
to an insulated wall section that had been kept moist on a continous
basis by nano-leakage from broken down shower grouting.

Bathroom completely stripped out. Ants are now euthenased. All water
and ant damaged structural timber replaced. Replacement shower will use
"multiboard" panels. God willing leaks will be history (as will ants).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/05/2015 17:43, Vortex11 wrote:
All water and ant damaged structural timber replaced.

I'm a bit surprised that ants damaged timber. They aren't termites.

Andy