Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Patio Door wooden sill replacement

Hello again uk.diy,

The second of my "things to sort out this year" is the rotten sill underneath the patio doors. I was planning removing any screws along the bottom edge of the frame and then simply ripping the remains of it out and inserting a new one, having cut it to size and painted/treated it first of course.

My question is, although the doors and frame are supported by 4 screws up each side and presumably a few along the top, will they be sufficient to hold the doors and frame in place whilst I remove the old sill and refit a new one? I don't really want the whole thing to drop.

Is it advisable to wedge another bit of wood into the gap to take the weight?

General advice requested please.

Photos:
1. Rotten sill:
http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/x...9-DSC_0047.jpg