Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default "Snap-on" conduit?

I am going to pave part of my front garden. There are a BT cable and a Virgin
Cable in the area where I wish to pave - both about 9 inches down.

I am wondering if there is such a thing as "snap-on" conduit that I can put
around the cables before I do the paving. If the cables ever needed replacing
they could then be pulled through the conduit they will then be in.

ie rather than putting conduit down and pulling the cables through - put it
around the cables without disconnecting them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"victor" wrote in message

I am going to pave part of my front garden. There are a BT cable and a
Virgin
Cable in the area where I wish to pave - both about 9 inches down.

I am wondering if there is such a thing as "snap-on" conduit that I can put
around the cables before I do the paving. If the cables ever needed
replacing
they could then be pulled through the conduit they will then be in.

ie rather than putting conduit down and pulling the cables through - put it
around the cables without disconnecting them.

This?
http://www.plastics-express.co.uk/ducting/split-ducting

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 6 Apr 2015 09:56:42 +0100, "Richard"
wrote:

"victor" wrote in message
.. .

I am going to pave part of my front garden. There are a BT cable and a
Virgin
Cable in the area where I wish to pave - both about 9 inches down.

I am wondering if there is such a thing as "snap-on" conduit that I can put
around the cables before I do the paving. If the cables ever needed
replacing
they could then be pulled through the conduit they will then be in.

ie rather than putting conduit down and pulling the cables through - put it
around the cables without disconnecting them.

This?
http://www.plastics-express.co.uk/ducting/split-ducting

That's it !!

Well done that man: I had searched in vain.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd suggest that you could use that rectangular stuff with clip on lids, and
perhaps use a glue to secure the lids and see if that is good enough, after
all if the wires themselves have been ok up to now...
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"victor" wrote in message

I am going to pave part of my front garden. There are a BT cable and a
Virgin
Cable in the area where I wish to pave - both about 9 inches down.

I am wondering if there is such a thing as "snap-on" conduit that I can
put
around the cables before I do the paving. If the cables ever needed
replacing
they could then be pulled through the conduit they will then be in.

ie rather than putting conduit down and pulling the cables through - put
it
around the cables without disconnecting them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
I'd suggest that you could use that rectangular stuff with clip on lids,
and

Trunking?
--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06 Apr 2015, "ARW" grunted:

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
I'd suggest that you could use that rectangular stuff with clip on
lids, and

Trunking?

Yes; would be a darned sight cheaper than the 110mm diameter split trunking
mentioned earlier. It's not rated for external or underground use of
course; but that's not relevant as the cables concerned (presumably!)
already are.

--
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Lobster" wrote in message
. 222...
On 06 Apr 2015, "ARW" grunted:

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
I'd suggest that you could use that rectangular stuff with clip on
lids, and

Trunking?

Yes; would be a darned sight cheaper than the 110mm diameter split
trunking
mentioned earlier. It's not rated for external or underground use of
course; but that's not relevant as the cables concerned (presumably!)
already are.

And not fit for purpose.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07 Apr 2015, "ARW" grunted:

"Lobster" wrote in message
. 222...
On 06 Apr 2015, "ARW" grunted:

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
I'd suggest that you could use that rectangular stuff with clip on
lids, and

Trunking?

Yes; would be a darned sight cheaper than the 110mm diameter split
trunking
mentioned earlier. It's not rated for external or underground use of
course; but that's not relevant as the cables concerned (presumably!)
already are.

And not fit for purpose.

Define 'purpose' though.
I certainly wouldn't advocate the OP stuffing standard T+E down it, butfor
what he wants I think it would be just fine.

--
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"victor" wrote in message

I am going to pave part of my front garden. There are a BT cable and a
Virgin
Cable in the area where I wish to pave - both about 9 inches down.

I am wondering if there is such a thing as "snap-on" conduit that I can
put
around the cables before I do the paving. If the cables ever needed
replacing
they could then be pulled through the conduit they will then be in.

ie rather than putting conduit down and pulling the cables through - put
it
around the cables without disconnecting them.

Use a bit of plastic mini trunking.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/04/15 09:45, victor wrote:

I am going to pave part of my front garden. There are a BT cable and a Virgin
Cable in the area where I wish to pave - both about 9 inches down.

I am wondering if there is such a thing as "snap-on" conduit that I can put
around the cables before I do the paving. If the cables ever needed replacing
they could then be pulled through the conduit they will then be in.

ie rather than putting conduit down and pulling the cables through - put it
around the cables without disconnecting them.

Could you drop a length or two of conventional trunking more or less
alongside the existing cables (with draw rope installed, of course)?
Then the old cables would simply be abandoned rather than replaced, if
ever necessary. BT were quite happy to give me 60 metres of their
trunking to bury in order to ease later replacement - admittedly in this
case it was to replace an overhead cable.

Kevin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, April 6, 2015 at 9:45:14 AM UTC+1, victor wrote:
I am going to pave part of my front garden. There are a BT cable and a Virgin
Cable in the area where I wish to pave - both about 9 inches down.

I am wondering if there is such a thing as "snap-on" conduit that I can put
around the cables before I do the paving. If the cables ever needed replacing
they could then be pulled through the conduit they will then be in.

ie rather than putting conduit down and pulling the cables through - put it
around the cables without disconnecting them.

any old plastic tubing or hosepipe and cut a slit along the length of it
[g]