Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Lee Lee is offline

Default Tyre wear question

Curious as to possible cause of this problem, NSF tyre is wearing faster
than the OSF, but it is completely even wear across the tyre. It does
have a somewhat "scrubbed" look compared to the other one (the rubber on
the other one looks smoother) but the inside and outside edges are not
scrubbed out like you'd usually see with a problem.

Wondering whether it's the car or the tyre*?
Handling is fine...

Focus 1.8, Continental premium contact 2 both fitted at the same time,
balanced etc and pressures checked regularly. The NSF is almost down to
the twi, the OSF is about 1 to 1.5mm above the twi on just under 6k of
normal, mostly town/country driving.

I have read that this car/tyre combo is heavy on wear, along with heavy
front pad wear, but even without the mismatch this seems excessive?
The rears are fine, of course. 12K and still lots of wear left.

*Clearly needs to be changed soon anyway so wasn't really up for
swapping them about, but I suppose I could if it proves a point...
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

On 26/03/15 14:24, Lee wrote:
[...]

Asymmetric wear is the norm.

The roads are all cambered one way, the nearside of the road is where
all the gravel collects..and wheelspin or brake locking most likely...

Which is why we used to rotate tyres from front to rear and swap em
across the car and include the spare..

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

On 26/03/15 14:24, Lee wrote:
[...]

ISWYM, I suppose I'd better get searching reviews for something to
replace them with which will give better wear without being non stick...

Lee
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 26 Mar 2015 14:50:03 +0000, Lee wrote:

Asymmetric wear is the norm.

ISWYM, I suppose I'd better get searching reviews for something to
replace them with which will give better wear without being non stick...

I've never been terribly impressed by the longevity of hard-used Contis,
have to admit.

It's one area where Michelin normally scores very highly.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:
On Thu, 26 Mar 2015 14:50:03 +0000, Lee wrote:

Asymmetric wear is the norm.

ISWYM, I suppose I'd better get searching reviews for something to
replace them with which will give better wear without being non stick...

I've never been terribly impressed by the longevity of hard-used Contis,
have to admit.

It's one area where Michelin normally scores very highly.

I've been pleased with Kumho tyres on my focus cmax following a forum
suggestion

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 26 Mar 2015 15:16:13 +0000, Bob Minchin wrote:

I've been pleased with Kumho tyres on my focus cmax following a forum
suggestion

Kumho were fitted to my current car when I got it, bloody useless
things on snow, couldn't get up even a slight hill. Hill? What hill?
The road is more or less level.

Swapped to Veredstien Wintracs and it would go up snow covered 1:7
.... Hill? What hill? B-)

Just stateing brand isn't much use. Kumho may make a decent winter
tyre but what I had wern't it, in fact they weren't that good in the
wet either.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:
On Thu, 26 Mar 2015 14:50:03 +0000, Lee wrote:

Asymmetric wear is the norm.

ISWYM, I suppose I'd better get searching reviews for something to
replace them with which will give better wear without being non stick...

I've never been terribly impressed by the longevity of hard-used Contis,
have to admit.

It's one area where Michelin normally scores very highly.

Yes, we scrapped all the Contis as they repeatedly punctured.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/03/15 14:50, Lee wrote:
On 26/03/15 14:24, Lee wrote:
[...]

depends whether you hammer around on the ragged edge. If so soft tyres
will grip in the dry and will wear like buggery.

Your choice,.

Lee

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 26 Mar 2015 14:41:33 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Asymmetric wear is the norm.

The roads are all cambered one way, the nearside of the road is where
all the gravel collects..and wheelspin or brake locking most likely...

Not noticed that on any car I have owned. Mostly rotational tyres so
swapping sides isn't an option without taking them off the rims.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/03/15 22:04, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 26 Mar 2015 14:41:33 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Asymmetric wear is the norm.

The roads are all cambered one way, the nearside of the road is where
all the gravel collects..and wheelspin or brake locking most likely...

Not noticed that on any car I have owned. Mostly rotational tyres so
swapping sides isn't an option without taking them off the rims.

Actually, it depends a lot on where you do your driving.

If its country lanes, you do notice a lot more damage, at least, to
nearside tyres

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 27 Mar 2015 09:49:03 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

The roads are all cambered one way, the nearside of the road is

where
all the gravel collects..and wheelspin or brake locking most

likely...

Not noticed that on any car I have owned. Mostly rotational tyres

so
swapping sides isn't an option without taking them off the rims.

Actually, it depends a lot on where you do your driving.

If its country lanes, you do notice a lot more damage, at least, to
nearside tyres

The majority of my drivng *is* rural ...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/03/15 23:28, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 27 Mar 2015 09:49:03 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

The roads are all cambered one way, the nearside of the road is

where
all the gravel collects..and wheelspin or brake locking most

likely...

Not noticed that on any car I have owned. Mostly rotational tyres

so
swapping sides isn't an option without taking them off the rims.

Actually, it depends a lot on where you do your driving.

If its country lanes, you do notice a lot more damage, at least, to
nearside tyres

The majority of my drivng *is* rural ...

rural is not the same as country lanes.

The crucial difference IME is how far into the verge you need to go to
get past other cars. If you are almost permanently driving on the loose
gravel at the edge it makes a difference. If the road is wide enough to
stay clear it doesn't.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I think its got worse as the roads are services and cleaned far less often
these days. I know this to be true as a pedestrian, as all the scree type
pebbles near the curb of some well used roads can be quite a slip hazard
when crossing a road.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
On 26/03/15 14:24, Lee wrote:
[...]

Everything you read in newspapers is absolutely true, except for the rare
story of which you happen to have first-hand knowledge. ?" Erwin Knoll

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Asymmetric wear is the norm.

The roads are all cambered one way, the nearside of the road is where
all the gravel collects..and wheelspin or brake locking most likely...

Strange. None of my many cars over even more years have worn tyres
unevenly in this way. They have always worn out pretty evenly in axle
pairs.

--
*A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 28 Mar 2015 13:26:36 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Asymmetric wear is the norm.

The roads are all cambered one way, the nearside of the road is where
all the gravel collects..and wheelspin or brake locking most likely...

Strange. None of my many cars over even more years have worn tyres
unevenly in this way. They have always worn out pretty evenly in axle
pairs.

Same here. And I travel a lot (i.e. to work every day) on rural roads
with significant camber.

wish to copy them they can pay me ÂŁ30a message.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28 Mar 2015 13:32:12 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

Asymmetric wear is the norm.

The roads are all cambered one way, the nearside of the road is

where
all the gravel collects..and wheelspin or brake locking most

likely...

Strange. None of my many cars over even more years have worn tyres
unevenly in this way. They have always worn out pretty evenly in

axle
pairs.

Same here. And I travel a lot (i.e. to work every day) on rural roads
with significant camber.

So that's three of us...

More to the point if there is traffic constantly driving along a bit
of gravel at the side of the road that bit of gravel won't stay there
very long... Less than half a dozen vehicles will have cleared tram
tracks through freshly salted but dry roads.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Asymmetric wear is the norm.

The roads are all cambered one way, the nearside of the road is where
all the gravel collects..and wheelspin or brake locking most likely...

Strange. None of my many cars over even more years have worn tyres
unevenly in this way. They have always worn out pretty evenly in axle
pairs.

That probably because you are a townie

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Asymmetric wear is the norm.

The roads are all cambered one way, the nearside of the road is where
all the gravel collects..and wheelspin or brake locking most likely...

Strange. None of my many cars over even more years have worn tyres
unevenly in this way. They have always worn out pretty evenly in axle
pairs.

That probably because you are a townie

Very true - so don't base everything on a clapped out 4x4.

--
*Work is for people who don't know how to fish.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

"Lee" wrote in message
[...]

Does the NSF wheel show any signs of damage from kerbing etc?
I would think as a point to start- get the alignment checked. Probably
before or perhaps at the same time as new rubber being fitted.
Don't know the age of the car but duff shock absorber is probably not
responsible.
A broken or damaged spring is also a likely contender.
Speed humps and other traffic calming measures play havoc on vehicle
suspension systems. Just as they do to adjacent buildings. Damned things
should be gotten rid of.
Nick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

On Thu, 26 Mar 2015 14:53:43 +0000, Nick wrote:

Does the NSF wheel show any signs of damage from kerbing etc?
I would think as a point to start- get the alignment checked.

One tyre has worn more heavily, but evenly, than the other.

Tracking would affect both tyres, but unevenly across the tread width.
Castor or camber would affect one tyre, but unevenly across the tread
width.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Lee Lee is offline

On 26/03/2015 14:59, Adrian wrote:
On Thu, 26 Mar 2015 14:53:43 +0000, Nick wrote:

Does the NSF wheel show any signs of damage from kerbing etc?
I would think as a point to start- get the alignment checked.

One tyre has worn more heavily, but evenly, than the other.

Tracking would affect both tyres, but unevenly across the tread width.
Castor or camber would affect one tyre, but unevenly across the tread
width.

Yes and given I've just checked and the NSF also has slightly higher pad
wear than the other side I'm going with TNP's suggestion.
This thing has "traction control" malarky which it uses the pads for...

According to Etis there are no outstanding software updates, it's not
throwing any fault codes and it's out of warranty anyway so I'm thinking
of putting a pair of harder wearing tyres on there and see what happens.

Thanks.

Lee

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

On Thu, 26 Mar 2015 15:32:26 +0000, Lee wrote:

Yes and given I've just checked and the NSF also has slightly higher pad
wear than the other side I'm going with TNP's suggestion.
This thing has "traction control" malarky which it uses the pads for...

Do you tend to drive, umm, enthusiastically?

Because, if you don't, the pad wear shouldn't be particularly affected by
stability control - since it doesn't do anything at all unless and until
you exceed the available grip. Then it gets a bit flashy-light at you.

I'm wondering if that front brake's dragging slightly. I wonder if that
could cause increased tyre wear as well as pad wear?
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Lee Lee is offline

On 26/03/2015 15:58, Adrian wrote:
On Thu, 26 Mar 2015 15:32:26 +0000, Lee wrote:

Yes and given I've just checked and the NSF also has slightly higher pad
wear than the other side I'm going with TNP's suggestion.
This thing has "traction control" malarky which it uses the pads for...

Do you tend to drive, umm, enthusiastically?

SWMBO drives it more than me and yes I guess "enthusiastically" would
describe her driving style...well as much as you can in a 1.6 ti-vct

Because, if you don't, the pad wear shouldn't be particularly affected by
stability control - since it doesn't do anything at all unless and until
you exceed the available grip. Then it gets a bit flashy-light at you.

Certainly feel it kick in occasionally in on the very dusty roads round
here, (leave the freshly washed car outside for a day and it looks like
it's been through the desert) though I haven't noticed any flashy lights.

I'm wondering if that front brake's dragging slightly. I wonder if that
could cause increased tyre wear as well as pad wear?

Possible...there is a bit more of a wear lip on the NSF disc.
Haven't been out there with an IR thermometer, (duly bookmarked as a job
for next weekend) but both wheels are quite hot after a drive, though
they seem about the same, as in I can't tell if one's hotter.
With the wheels in the air neither feels like they are binding though,
so if it is, it could well be an ABS issue

Brake balance seems fine, but of course I don't know how much the car
is/can compensate for a problem.
Pad change due soon anyway, maybe something will show up...

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

On 26/03/15 15:58, Adrian wrote:
On Thu, 26 Mar 2015 15:32:26 +0000, Lee wrote:

Yes and given I've just checked and the NSF also has slightly higher pad
wear than the other side I'm going with TNP's suggestion.
This thing has "traction control" malarky which it uses the pads for...

Do you tend to drive, umm, enthusiastically?

Because, if you don't, the pad wear shouldn't be particularly affected by
stability control - since it doesn't do anything at all unless and until
you exceed the available grip. Then it gets a bit flashy-light at you.

I'm wondering if that front brake's dragging slightly. I wonder if that
could cause increased tyre wear as well as pad wear?

That is definitely a ****obolity

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

On 26/03/15 14:59, Adrian wrote:
On Thu, 26 Mar 2015 14:53:43 +0000, Nick wrote:

Does the NSF wheel show any signs of damage from kerbing etc?
I would think as a point to start- get the alignment checked.

One tyre has worn more heavily, but evenly, than the other.

Tracking would affect both tyres, but unevenly across the tread width.
Castor or camber would affect one tyre, but unevenly across the tread
width.

+1.

As usual people with no experience chiming in with asinine suggestions.

Heck you could say with more justification 'do you turn right
harder/more often than you turn left?

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

On Thu, 26 Mar 2015 14:59:13 +0000 (UTC), Adrian wrote:

Does the NSF wheel show any signs of damage from kerbing etc?
I would think as a point to start- get the alignment checked.

One tyre has worn more heavily, but evenly, than the other.

But is showing signs of scrubbing.

Tracking would affect both tyres, but unevenly across the tread width.
Castor or camber would affect one tyre, but unevenly across the tread
width.

Toe? Would normally wear the inside (toe out) or outside (toe in) but
if something else is out as well, after a "kerbing incident", that
could conviveably result in scrubbing over more of the tyre width.

I'd be inclined to take it to a place with a full alignment kit. That
is for all four wheels in all 3 dimensions in relation to each other
and key suspension mounting points on the bodywork. Also needs
someone who knows how to use such kit as well...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

"Nick" wrote in message

"Lee" wrote in message
[...]

That wouldn’t see even wear on that tire.

Probably before or perhaps at the same time as new rubber being fitted.
Don't know the age of the car but duff shock absorber is probably not
responsible.

That doesn’t see even wear either.

A broken or damaged spring is also a likely contender.
Speed humps and other traffic calming measures play havoc on vehicle
suspension systems. Just as they do to adjacent buildings. Damned things
should be gotten rid of.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

"Lee" wrote in message
Curious as to possible cause of this problem, NSF tyre is wearing faster
than the OSF, but it is completely even wear across the tyre. It does have
a somewhat "scrubbed" look compared to the other one (the rubber on the
other one looks smoother) but the inside and outside edges are not
scrubbed out like you'd usually see with a problem.

Wondering whether it's the car or the tyre*?
Handling is fine...

Focus 1.8, Continental premium contact 2 both fitted at the same time,
balanced etc and pressures checked regularly. The NSF is almost down to
the twi, the OSF is about 1 to 1.5mm above the twi on just under 6k of
normal, mostly town/country driving.

I take it "twi" means "tread wear indicator".

My 2.0 Focus, same weight and suspension as yours, runs front tyres to about
25k miles and rears to about 55k. If you've shagged a set of fronts in 6k
miles then the tracking is out by miles.
--
Dave Baker

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Lee Lee is offline

On 26/03/2015 14:57, Dave Baker wrote:

My 2.0 Focus, same weight and suspension as yours, runs front tyres to
about 25k miles and rears to about 55k. If you've shagged a set of
fronts in 6k miles then the tracking is out by miles.

Having had to drive a car home with tracking that bad before, I think
I'd know Average for this model (Mk3 ti-vct) seems closer to 12K and
roughly 12-14K for the front pads, from what I've read.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

"Lee" wrote in message
On 26/03/2015 14:57, Dave Baker wrote:

My 2.0 Focus, same weight and suspension as yours, runs front tyres to
about 25k miles and rears to about 55k. If you've shagged a set of
fronts in 6k miles then the tracking is out by miles.

Having had to drive a car home with tracking that bad before, I think I'd
know

You dont actually. Bad tracking doesnt produce even tire wear.

Average for this model (Mk3 ti-vct) seems closer to 12K and roughly 12-14K
for the front pads, from what I've read.

So the most likely explanation is that his driving is nothing like average.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

On 26/03/15 14:57, Dave Baker wrote:

"Lee" wrote in message
[...]

Lewis Hamilton can shag a set of tires in 50 miles. Its all down to how
you drive ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

"Dave Baker" wrote in message

"Lee" wrote in message
[...]

Not if the tire does wear evenly. Its much
more likely his driving is the reason for the 6K.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

On 26/03/2015 14:24, Lee wrote:
[...]

Roundabouts and road camber mean the nsf is the first to wear out.
But 6k is seriously low mileage for a Focus front tyre, perhaps you
should try a set of Michelins, they seem to give the best life/grip
combo. for any car. I drive my Focus pretty hard and yet the tyres last
for years, not months.

One possibility: Are the tyres fitted the correct way around?
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Lee Lee is offline

On 26/03/2015 16:00, Mrcheerful wrote:

Roundabouts and road camber mean the nsf is the first to wear out.
But 6k is seriously low mileage for a Focus front tyre, perhaps you
should try a set of Michelins, they seem to give the best life/grip
combo. for any car. I drive my Focus pretty hard and yet the tyres last
for years, not months.

One possibility: Are the tyres fitted the correct way around?

*Embarrassed face* just checked, yes they are, as in "outside" is to the
outside, there aren't any arrows.
*But* while what I said before is true, it's genuinely down to the twi
bars on one side, not quite on the other, measuring it just now with a
tyre depth gauge says 3.2mm for the OSF and 2.8mm for the NSF so the
actual wear is nowhere near as bad as it seemed.
Lesson learned (use the proper tool) and sorry to waste everyone's time.

What is the point in the twi if it's set higher than 1.6mm though?
Unless the limits are different elsewhere?

Lee
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

On Thu, 26 Mar 2015 16:49:05 +0000, Lee wrote:

What is the point in the twi if it's set higher than 1.6mm though?

It's telling you the tyre is almost dead, not that it is actively illegal
NOW.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

On 26/03/2015 16:49, Lee wrote:
[...]

once the tyre is down to less than about 4mm the wet weather performance
is seriously reduced, the TWI is like a last resort, 'look at me now'
Yes, I understand that different countries do have different legal
limits, I heard that a lot of used tyres are imported from Germany (?)
because their limits and requirements as to replacement are very
different to ours.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

On Thu, 26 Mar 2015 18:38:28 +0000, Mrcheerful wrote:

I heard that a lot of used tyres are imported from Germany (?)
because their limits and requirements as to replacement are very
different to ours.

Winter tyres. They cease to be legally counted as winters at about 4mm
tread, IIRC, so they get flogged off as part-worns by the container load
to countries where we're only just starting to understand about winters...
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

Mrcheerful wrote:

Roundabouts and road camber mean the nsf is the first to wear out.

Another factor is psychological. I've read that it's normal for most
drivers to corner more aggressively to the right than to the left
(right-hand drive contries). We feel more exposed to danger when our
driver's door is on the outside of a corner.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

On 26/03/2015 21:23, John Henderson wrote:
Mrcheerful wrote:

Roundabouts and road camber mean the nsf is the first to wear out.

Another factor is psychological. I've read that it's normal for most
drivers to corner more aggressively to the right than to the left
(right-hand drive contries). We feel more exposed to danger when our
driver's door is on the outside of a corner.

I take a 270 degree left slip road every day. The devil comes up in me
and don't like to be overtaken. Other drivers probby the same sense, so
it screeches...I know it's not doing any good for tyres, suspension and
steering.