Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default PVA as a sealer

"ss" wrote in message
I am about to paint a wall (emulsion) that has a couple of grease stains on
it, would PVA act as a sealer? The 2 spots of grease are about 4 cm in
diameter.

A few years back I thought I'd do this.
The problem was that the emulsion paint didn't "soak into" the wall
afterwards and went on very thin and patchy.
I had to put on several coats. It seems to have stuck OK, no peeling off or
anything.

So unless the surface is crumbly I wouldn't do it.
The paint seems to need the porosity to get a good dense thickness to stick.

I would try to get the grease off with some kind of solvent

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

I am about to paint a wall (emulsion) that has a couple of grease stains
on it, would PVA act as a sealer? The 2 spots of grease are about 4 cm
in diameter.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ss" wrote in message
I am about to paint a wall (emulsion) that has a couple of grease stains on
it, would PVA act as a sealer? The 2 spots of grease are about 4 cm in
diameter.

You can try it and let us know because my kitchen has a few near my bin that
I want to paint over, I don't know that PVA would stick to grease though -
you may have to sand it a bit first to give it a key.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/03/15 20:14, Phil L wrote:
"ss" wrote in message
I am about to paint a wall (emulsion) that has a couple of grease stains on
it, would PVA act as a sealer? The 2 spots of grease are about 4 cm in
diameter.

You can try it and let us know because my kitchen has a few near my bin that
I want to paint over, I don't know that PVA would stick to grease though -
you may have to sand it a bit first to give it a key.

Give it a scrub first with sugar soap - that takes rather more grease
out than basic detergents.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ss writes:
I am about to paint a wall (emulsion) that has a couple of grease stains
on it, would PVA act as a sealer? The 2 spots of grease are about 4 cm
in diameter.

It might work, but OTOH, if it's sufficiently greasy on the surface
to prevent wetting and some moisture penetration, the PVA might not
stick.

You might also find the emulsion won't stick to the PVA - some won't.

You can get stain sealer, which is probably a better bet. Undercoat
gloss paint used to work very well for this too, but I haven't tried
it since the volatile solvents were largely removed from them.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 20/03/2015 20:21, Tim Watts wrote:
On 20/03/15 20:14, Phil L wrote:
"ss" wrote in message
I am about to paint a wall (emulsion) that has a couple of grease
stains on
it, would PVA act as a sealer? The 2 spots of grease are about 4 cm in
diameter.

You can try it and let us know because my kitchen has a few near my
bin that
I want to paint over, I don't know that PVA would stick to grease
though -
you may have to sand it a bit first to give it a key.

Give it a scrub first with sugar soap - that takes rather more grease
out than basic detergents.

Aha never thought of that and I still have some.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 20/03/2015 01:23, harryagain wrote:
wrote in message
I am about to paint a wall (emulsion) that has a couple of grease stains on
it, would PVA act as a sealer? The 2 spots of grease are about 4 cm in
diameter.

A few years back I thought I'd do this.
The problem was that the emulsion paint didn't "soak into" the wall
afterwards and went on very thin and patchy.
I had to put on several coats. It seems to have stuck OK, no peeling off or
anything.

So unless the surface is crumbly I wouldn't do it.
The paint seems to need the porosity to get a good dense thickness to stick.

I would try to get the grease off with some kind of solvent

I am going to try sugar soap and see how it goes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ss" wrote in message
I am about to paint a wall (emulsion) that has a couple of grease stains on
it, would PVA act as a sealer? The 2 spots of grease are about 4 cm in
diameter.

A few years back I thought I'd do this.
The problem was that the emulsion paint didn't "soak into" the wall
afterwards and went on very thin and patchy.
I had to put on several coats. It seems to have stuck OK, no peeling off or
anything.

So unless the surface is crumbly I wouldn't do it.
The paint seems to need the porosity to get a good dense thickness to stick.

I would try to get the grease off with some kind of solvent

Washing up liquid is perfectly formulated for kitchen oils and fats
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/03/15 11:34, stuart noble wrote:

Washing up liquid is perfectly formulated for kitchen oils and fats

But from experience, not as vicious as SS.

It's one thing that seems to still work like it should and not been
weakened by eco regs.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 21/03/2015 18:41, Tim Watts wrote:
On 21/03/15 11:34, stuart noble wrote:

Washing up liquid is perfectly formulated for kitchen oils and fats

But from experience, not as vicious as SS.

It's one thing that seems to still work like it should and not been
weakened by eco regs.

The ss worked quite well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Watts writes:
On 21/03/15 11:34, stuart noble wrote:

Washing up liquid is perfectly formulated for kitchen oils and fats

But from experience, not as vicious as SS.

It's one thing that seems to still work like it should and not been
weakened by eco regs.

Whilst you need to wash off as much as you can (as that's what carries
the dissolved grease away), you will not be able to wash all the cleaner
off. Some SS residue is usually OK to paint over, but I would not be so
sure about washing up liquid residue, and cheaper WU liquids are
sometimes loaded with lots of salt too, a combination which might
end up attracting moisture.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article ,
Tim Watts writes:
On 21/03/15 11:34, stuart noble wrote:

Washing up liquid is perfectly formulated for kitchen oils and fats

But from experience, not as vicious as SS.

It's one thing that seems to still work like it should and not been
weakened by eco regs.

Whilst you need to wash off as much as you can (as that's what carries
the dissolved grease away), you will not be able to wash all the cleaner
off. Some SS residue is usually OK to paint over, but I would not be so
sure about washing up liquid residue, and cheaper WU liquids are
sometimes loaded with lots of salt too, a combination which might
end up attracting moisture.

Two suggestions:
Strong caustic soda
Ammonia
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 22 Mar 2015 20:57:43 +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:

In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article ,
Tim Watts writes:
On 21/03/15 11:34, stuart noble wrote:

Washing up liquid is perfectly formulated for kitchen oils and fats

But from experience, not as vicious as SS.

It's one thing that seems to still work like it should and not been
weakened by eco regs.

Whilst you need to wash off as much as you can (as that's what carries
the dissolved grease away), you will not be able to wash all the cleaner
off. Some SS residue is usually OK to paint over, but I would not be so
sure about washing up liquid residue, and cheaper WU liquids are
sometimes loaded with lots of salt too, a combination which might
end up attracting moisture.

Two suggestions:
Strong caustic soda
Ammonia

Bit nasty.
If the area affected by the cooking fat isn't too big, perhaps one of those
terpene-based cleansers might do it (the orange-peely stuff).

About 15 years or so ago I was trying to remove splashes of set, old, ghee
but nothing that I had to hand at that place would touch it.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/03/2015 20:57, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article ,
Tim Watts writes:
On 21/03/15 11:34, stuart noble wrote:

Washing up liquid is perfectly formulated for kitchen oils and fats

But from experience, not as vicious as SS.

It's one thing that seems to still work like it should and not been
weakened by eco regs.

Whilst you need to wash off as much as you can (as that's what carries
the dissolved grease away), you will not be able to wash all the cleaner
off. Some SS residue is usually OK to paint over, but I would not be so
sure about washing up liquid residue, and cheaper WU liquids are
sometimes loaded with lots of salt too, a combination which might
end up attracting moisture.

Two suggestions:
Strong caustic soda
Ammonia

Caustic tends to leave porous surfaces forever deliquescent. Not a good
base for paint.
Sugar soap has contained various things over the years, most of which
behave similarly.

Best Sealer TheScullster UK diy 3 September 14th 07 08:46 AM
What grout sealer to use?? Trajen Home Repair 2 June 29th 06 02:35 PM
Sealer Choice 15 Stone Sealer Question miamicuse Home Repair 4 October 4th 05 02:48 PM
New Deck Sealer Over Thompsons Wax Based Sealer: O.K. To Do ? Robert11 Home Repair 3 February 23rd 05 02:59 PM
MDF sealer? AAvK Woodworking 10 October 15th 04 02:06 PM