Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default Help with toilet cistern

When flushed it fills up but then just overflows in to the bowl.
Normally I would adjust a float or whatever to sort this but I cant find
how to do this on this particular cistern.

Any ideas on how to adjust or is a replacement job?

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...ps3rpk72qu.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...psmttububc.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/03/2015 16:06, ss wrote:
When flushed it fills up but then just overflows in to the bowl.
Normally I would adjust a float or whatever to sort this but I cant find
how to do this on this particular cistern.

Any ideas on how to adjust or is a replacement job?

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...ps3rpk72qu.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...psmttububc.jpg

The white screw thingy going through the blue float should adjust the level.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:

Any ideas on how to adjust or is a replacement job?

Does the blue float shift up and down on the striations of the white stem?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 14/03/2015 16:18, Andy Burns wrote:
ss wrote:

Any ideas on how to adjust or is a replacement job?

Does the blue float shift up and down on the striations of the white stem?

I am not at the premises just now but when I was there I pushed and

prodded various bits but could get any movement, I assume the actual
float is in the white section behind the screw adjustment, I didnt get
any movement from the blue part.
Admittedly I didnt spend long at it as it is my sons house (he rents it)
and I will be going over next week to do some remedial work before the
next tenants arrive.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , ss
writes
When flushed it fills up but then just overflows in to the bowl.
Normally I would adjust a float or whatever to sort this but I cant find
how to do this on this particular cistern.

Any ideas on how to adjust or is a replacement job?

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...ps3rpk72qu.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...psmttububc.jpg

The water level at cutoff is adjusted by turning the shaft with the
spiral that runs through the blue float. The hex moulding gives
something to grip.

You need to check first however that the valve will cut off properly if
the float is raised manually, otherwise it will make no difference. If
it doesn't then you'll need to dismantle and clean or change the washer
(it looks like one of the diaphragm washer types).

Check also that water doesn't flow when it is at a reasonable level or
the fault is in the 'syphon'. I say 'syphon' as I don't recognise the
type and it may either be a syphon or some kind of dump valve that my
have become stuck.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 14 Mar 2015 16:06:50 +0000, ss wrote:

When flushed it fills up but then just overflows in to the bowl.
Normally I would adjust a float or whatever to sort this but I cant find
how to do this on this particular cistern.

These rely upon a rubber bit on the fill mechanism (the bit with the
blue float) which fails and lets water dribble into the pan. Quite
often no one notices until the next water bill arrives.

You can get replacement washers such as
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plum...2+Valve/p91486

but these seem to be manufacturer specific. A complete new valve
isn't a silly price,

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plum...ittings/sd2835

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:

Any ideas on how to adjust or is a replacement job?

Does the blue float shift up and down on the striations of the white
stem?

I am not at the premises just now but when I was there I pushed and

prodded various bits but could get any movement, I assume the actual
float is in the white section behind the screw adjustment, I didnt get
any movement from the blue part.
Admittedly I didnt spend long at it as it is my sons house (he rents it)
and I will be going over next week to do some remedial work before the
next tenants arrive.

Maybe the actual float is inside the blue cover. If so, rotating the
white spindle should wind the float up and down relative to the lever at
the top - thus cutting the water off at a different height.

But if it's been ok up to now and has suddenly started overflowing, the
root cause is probably something different. Either the valve isn't
cutting the water off when the lever moves to the top of its travel. or
the flushing mechanism is leaking. I assume this is one of those jobbies
which has a buttom to press on the lid of the cistern, which dumps all
of the water out of the bottom, rather than a conventional syphon?
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 14 Mar 2015 16:06:50 +0000, ss wrote:

When flushed it fills up but then just overflows in to the bowl.
Normally I would adjust a float or whatever to sort this but I cant find
how to do this on this particular cistern.

Any ideas on how to adjust or is a replacement job?

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...ps3rpk72qu.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...psmttububc.jpg

Are you sure it's not as simple as the O ring from the bottom of the
siphon kit allowing the cistern to leak into the bowl?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 14/03/2015 17:44, Simon wrote:
Are you sure it's not as simple as the O ring from the bottom of the
siphon kit allowing the cistern to leak into the bowl?

Not certain but quite sure as nothing leaks in while filling, it only
starts when the cistern is full.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 14/03/2015 17:20, Peter Parry wrote:
Quite
often no one notices until the next water bill arrives

The `renter` who has just vacated has been there 2 years so it could
have been going on for a while, when I was over today we couldnt
understand the slow fill...what they had done was turn the isolating
valve back to reduce the flow, Scotland so dont pay for usage its a
fixed rate.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:
On 14/03/2015 17:44, Simon wrote:
Are you sure it's not as simple as the O ring from the bottom of the
siphon kit allowing the cistern to leak into the bowl?

Not certain but quite sure as nothing leaks in while filling, it only
starts when the cistern is full.

Sound like either the float valve needs a new diaphragm/washer whatever
or less likely, the float level needs adjusting with the hexagonal knob.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 14/03/2015 19:22, Bob Minchin wrote:
ss wrote:
On 14/03/2015 17:44, Simon wrote:
Are you sure it's not as simple as the O ring from the bottom of the
siphon kit allowing the cistern to leak into the bowl?

Not certain but quite sure as nothing leaks in while filling, it only
starts when the cistern is full.

Sound like either the float valve needs a new diaphragm/washer whatever
or less likely, the float level needs adjusting with the hexagonal knob.

Had another look and it is the diaphragm that has a rip in it, so
hopefully that will sort it.

Toilet cistern chudford UK diy 7 August 19th 08 10:34 PM
Leaky Toilet Cistern Roger Cain UK diy 8 February 19th 07 02:49 PM
Toilet cistern Staffbull UK diy 5 January 16th 07 12:57 PM
The cistern and toilet The3rd Earl Of Derby UK diy 12 January 22nd 06 06:49 PM
Toilet Cistern John UK diy 4 December 3rd 04 11:02 PM