Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Pricing of bearings

Recently repairing a DeWalt RA saw (My thanks to Bob Minchin and all others
for assistance) I found the carriage bearings a little bit knobbly. Not
unduly so but worth attention. Sealed bearings but dropped them in a bath of
light oil nevertheless.

Found an online supplier of parts I needed. All parts available except these
bearings. Bearings listed @ £11 odd per but no stock. Told that they did not
know when they might get new stock.

Got on to a local bearing supplier that I have used in the past. Bearing
only made by SKF. Now out of production.
RRP £47.76. Price to me December 2014 £6.92. Price to me Feb 2015 £23.90.
Apparently it is standard practice to double or quadruple the price of out
of production bearings. I was surprised but then I am of another age.

Received new parts and rebuilt saw with old bearings which are now
considerably less knobbly.
Saw bought new in 1981, it'll see me out.
All the above guff for info only but may be of interest to anyone that might
be looking for old bearing sizes in the near future.
Nick.

Kaydon Bearings Ulta slim bearings - cost is prohibitive -Alternative supplier?? Mike Johns Metalworking 5 October 26th 07 05:18 PM
B&Q Pricing?? John UK diy 32 February 4th 07 06:36 PM
Electricity pricing? Richard UK diy 36 January 27th 07 05:03 PM
Electricity pricing Richard UK diy 15 December 6th 06 09:29 AM
Pricing Bernie Bober Woodturning 7 July 20th 04 05:55 AM