Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Decent weatherproof padlocks recommendations?

Hi,

I bought some Yale "weatherproof" padlocks a couple of years ago and
they've already rusted to the point of uselessness. I did try and keep
them going with graphite powder but that only appears to buy a bit of time.

Can anyone recommend a decent make and model?

They're only for a shed and a garden gate so don't have to be heavy duty.
I need keyed alike.

TIA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've had an Abloy one outside for the last 4 years and he's pretty much free of rust. Not sure about the keyed alike bit as I've never looked for it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/02/2015 08:36, Scion wrote:
Hi,

I bought some Yale "weatherproof" padlocks a couple of years ago and
they've already rusted to the point of uselessness. I did try and keep
them going with graphite powder but that only appears to buy a bit of time.

Can anyone recommend a decent make and model?

They're only for a shed and a garden gate so don't have to be heavy duty.
I need keyed alike.

I use Medeco System Series padlocks, which are not cheap, but are very
durable and weather resistant. The ones I have on my sheds are about 20
years old now, although they started out life as factory padlocks. They
take a cylinder lock, so any locksmith can set them up to be keyed alike
and match them to other locks if you like.

http://www.medeco.com/en/site/medeco...ductId=1449195

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JonT wrote

I've had an Abloy one outside for the last 4 years and he's pretty much
free of rust.

Looks more like a she to me.

Not sure about the keyed alike bit as I've never looked for it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scion wrote:
Hi,

I bought some Yale "weatherproof" padlocks a couple of years ago and
they've already rusted to the point of uselessness. I did try and keep
them going with graphite powder but that only appears to buy a bit of time.

Can anyone recommend a decent make and model?

They're only for a shed and a garden gate so don't have to be heavy duty.
I need keyed alike.

TIA

My Yales are full of 20/50 oil, no trouble after 20 years. Graphite
doesn't work outside.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yep. I do the same. Once a year or when I remember I pump oil into them. Only a shed so oil drips no problem. Its lasted 15 years now.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Scion
writes
Hi,

I bought some Yale "weatherproof" padlocks a couple of years ago and
they've already rusted to the point of uselessness. I did try and keep
them going with graphite powder but that only appears to buy a bit of time.

Graphite isn't going to stop them rusting.

I've got some standard brass bodied padlocks here, yale IIRC, but it's
raining so I'm not checking right now :-)

Oil them with a bit of 3 in 1, or whatever oil it is out of the oil can,
now and then and they are fine (been outside for at least 8 years I
guess)
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/02/15 08:36, Scion wrote:
Hi,

I bought some Yale "weatherproof" padlocks a couple of years ago and
they've already rusted to the point of uselessness. I did try and keep
them going with graphite powder but that only appears to buy a bit of time.

Can anyone recommend a decent make and model?

They're only for a shed and a garden gate so don't have to be heavy duty.
I need keyed alike.

TIA

Don't touch Blackspur - had two long shackle combination locks and one
is rusted to buggery after a year.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, February 26, 2015 at 8:37:24 AM UTC, Scion wrote:
Hi,

I bought some Yale "weatherproof" padlocks a couple of years ago and
they've already rusted to the point of uselessness. I did try and keep
them going with graphite powder but that only appears to buy a bit of time.

Can anyone recommend a decent make and model?

They're only for a shed and a garden gate so don't have to be heavy duty.
I need keyed alike.

TIA

Abloy used on shipping containers , find em on ebay but keyed alike may be harder. Squire SS50 and SS65 are good but not cheap.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , fred
writes
Yep. I do the same. Once a year or when I remember I pump oil into
them. Only a shed so oil drips no problem. Its lasted 15 years now.

+1

--
bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Adam
Aglionby writes
On Thursday, February 26, 2015 at 8:37:24 AM UTC, Scion wrote:
Hi,

I bought some Yale "weatherproof" padlocks a couple of years ago and
they've already rusted to the point of uselessness. I did try and keep
them going with graphite powder but that only appears to buy a bit of time.

Can anyone recommend a decent make and model?

They're only for a shed and a garden gate so don't have to be heavy duty.
I need keyed alike.

TIA

Abloy used on shipping containers , find em on ebay but keyed alike may
be harder. Squire SS50 and SS65 are good but not cheap.

Actually I think mine is a Squire. I just drop a bit of oil in it
whenever it starts to feel stiff.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 26 February 2015 08:37:24 UTC, Scion wrote:
Hi,

I bought some Yale "weatherproof" padlocks a couple of years ago and
they've already rusted to the point of uselessness. I did try and keep
them going with graphite powder but that only appears to buy a bit of time.

Can anyone recommend a decent make and model?

They're only for a shed and a garden gate so don't have to be heavy duty.
I need keyed alike.

TIA

Use Squire 'Old English'

http://www.squirelocks.co.uk/pdfs/sq...ld_english.pdf
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've got an Abus 65-series on a shed. Gawd knows how long it's been
there, but it's like new.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/02/2015 08:36, Scion wrote:
Hi,

I bought some Yale "weatherproof" padlocks a couple of years ago and
they've already rusted to the point of uselessness. I did try and keep
them going with graphite powder but that only appears to buy a bit of time.

Can anyone recommend a decent make and model?

They're only for a shed and a garden gate so don't have to be heavy duty.
I need keyed alike.

TIA

I've had a set of these

http://www.screwfix.com/p/master-loc...eel-54mm/41585

on a fairly exposed stables / gate / tackroom for at least three years,
they just need a few drops of oil occasionally.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Capitol put finger to keyboard:

Scion wrote:
Hi,

I bought some Yale "weatherproof" padlocks a couple of years ago and
they've already rusted to the point of uselessness. I did try and keep
them going with graphite powder but that only appears to buy a bit of
time.

Can anyone recommend a decent make and model?

They're only for a shed and a garden gate so don't have to be heavy
duty. I need keyed alike.

TIA

My Yales are full of 20/50 oil, no trouble after 20 years. Graphite
doesn't work outside.

OK thanks - maybe I'll try soaking them in oil to loosen them up. I
suspect they may be too far gone though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 26 Feb 2015 08:36:40 +0000 (UTC), Scion
wrote:
I bought some Yale "weatherproof" padlocks a couple of years ago and
they've already rusted to the point of uselessness. I did try and keep
them going with graphite powder but that only appears to buy a bit of time.

Can anyone recommend a decent make and model?

They're only for a shed and a garden gate so don't have to be heavy duty.
I need keyed alike.

I've used the same lock for my garden gate, and it's been fine for
almost ten years.

But, as others have said, graphite won't give any protection.

What I use is spray-on grease. This can be squirted onto and into
things, and sets like grease rather than dripping out like oil or
evaporating like wd40.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/02/15 15:44, Caecilius wrote:

What I use is spray-on grease. This can be squirted onto and into
things, and sets like grease rather than dripping out like oil or
evaporating like wd40.

What make out of interest (the grease)?

I have found that most of the spray on lubricants are pants - they are
basically WD40 with about 1 molecule of PTFE per can (where the can says
"PTFE spray").

I have powdered PTFE which is damn good for lock barrels and combination
padlocks in the dry - but as you say, does nothing for the lock in the rain.

So I'd be interested in a good grease spray...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, February 26, 2015 at 6:29:11 PM UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
On 26/02/15 15:44, Caecilius wrote:

What I use is spray-on grease. This can be squirted onto and into
things, and sets like grease rather than dripping out like oil or
evaporating like wd40.

What make out of interest (the grease)?

I have found that most of the spray on lubricants are pants - they are
basically WD40 with about 1 molecule of PTFE per can (where the can says
"PTFE spray").

I have powdered PTFE which is damn good for lock barrels and combination
padlocks in the dry - but as you say, does nothing for the lock in the rain.

So I'd be interested in a good grease spray...

Motor cycle chain grease spray from Halfords is good.

I've got an old Squire galvanized padlock, bought circa 1965. Outdoors all these years and currently outside on the shed. Good as new.

rusty
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 26 Feb 2015 18:29:05 +0000, Tim Watts
wrote:

On 26/02/15 15:44, Caecilius wrote:

What I use is spray-on grease. This can be squirted onto and into
things, and sets like grease rather than dripping out like oil or
evaporating like wd40.

What make out of interest (the grease)?

It's the stuff bikers use for motorcycle chains. Got it from halfords
or a motor factors I think.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, February 26, 2015 at 6:29:11 PM UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
On 26/02/15 15:44, Caecilius wrote:

Motor cycle chain grease spray from Halfords is good.

I've got an old Squire galvanized padlock, bought circa 1965. Outdoors all
these years and currently outside on the shed. Good as new.

I also have an old Squire, bought second-hand (Ex MOD) some 20+ years ago
still works fine, rarely oiled.

Why do so many of these have a dab of yellow paint on them?

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/02/15 10:06, Muddymike wrote:
On Thursday, February 26, 2015 at 6:29:11 PM UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
On 26/02/15 15:44, Caecilius wrote:

Motor cycle chain grease spray from Halfords is good.

I've got an old Squire galvanized padlock, bought circa 1965.
Outdoors all these years and currently outside on the shed. Good as new.

I also have an old Squire, bought second-hand (Ex MOD) some 20+ years
ago still works fine, rarely oiled.

Why do so many of these have a dab of yellow paint on them?

Mike

Can anyone reccommend a long hasp lock, ideally combination but key
could be tolerated if keyed alike is available - that is actually
weather proof?

I have a couple of those plastic storage "sheds" and the plastic gubbins
needs a long (2") by thin (1/4" thick) hasp.

Obvious I do not need a super great lock, just a weatherproof one...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/02/2015 10:10, Tim Watts wrote:

Can anyone reccommend a long hasp lock, ideally combination but key
could be tolerated if keyed alike is available - that is actually
weather proof?

I have a couple of those plastic storage "sheds" and the plastic gubbins
needs a long (2") by thin (1/4" thick) hasp.

Obvious I do not need a super great lock, just a weatherproof one...

You can buy a lot of plastic cable ties for the price of a lock and they
are just as secure on a plastic shed.

Frozen padlocks Stormin Mormon Metalworking 0 December 29th 10 10:10 PM
recommendations? decent jewellers screwdrivers pete UK diy 16 June 17th 10 02:33 PM
padlocks Tim Lamb UK diy 10 October 28th 07 10:10 AM
OT - Seeking Recommendations for a Decent Weed Wacker (Metal Content) Lane Metalworking 26 December 2nd 05 06:27 PM
Like Key Padlocks SantaUK UK diy 6 August 2nd 03 09:54 AM