Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Thumbs up for Liverpool Victoria

I have a home emergency add-on to my house insurance. Boiler packed up
this morning, but engineer came within 2 hours, did a temporary fix, and
has ordered a couple of spare parts to be fitted later. Have to say I'm
quite impressed. Not bad for £50 a year
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/02/2015 18:46, stuart noble wrote:
I have a home emergency add-on to my house insurance. Boiler packed up
this morning, but engineer came within 2 hours, did a temporary fix, and
has ordered a couple of spare parts to be fitted later. Have to say I'm
quite impressed. Not bad for £50 a year

That sounds good value. Most insurances for this sort of cover are
generally twice that.

Is there a catch such as losing a no claims discount or something similar?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

/Is there a catch such as losing a no claims discount or something similar? /q

Or a bill when the repair's finished?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/02/2015 21:12, JimK wrote:
/Is there a catch such as losing a no claims discount or something similar? /q

Or a bill when the repair's finished?

Jim K

Yeah, well, good luck with that. I've read the policy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2015-02-17, stuart noble wrote:
I have a home emergency add-on to my house insurance. Boiler packed up
this morning, but engineer came within 2 hours, did a temporary fix, and
has ordered a couple of spare parts to be fitted later. Have to say I'm
quite impressed. Not bad for £50 a year

I recently claimed on my house contents policy with them (I damaged my
glasses) and was much impressed with the speed, efficiency and
politeness with which my claim was dealt.

Just going through the quote process for their house insurance & their
rates are good. We meet all the requirements for security (Window
locks, BS/3 point locks etc) but there are some weasel words saying that
all windows have to be key locked at all times when property unoccupied
which seems unreasonable given all keys are the same and, if burglar
Bill has broken the (toughened) glass to open the closed but
un(key)locked window, he/she is already committed to entering and the
key lock status is irrelevant at that point.

Can't find this condition in the current Direct Line policy - is this
the case or routinely enforced?

Pity, we have had LV motor insurance for years and on the rare occasions
have needed them they have been easy to deal with.

ChrisK

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2015 15:58, ChrisK wrote:
Huge wrote:
On 2015-02-17, stuart noble wrote:
[...]

IME, if you say they're not all key locked, it won't make much
difference to the quote
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge wrote:
On 2015-02-17, stuart noble wrote:
[...]

Tried that, you have to agree to fitting such locks within 28 days....

Chris K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge wrote:
On 2015-02-17, stuart noble wrote:
[...]

I've never been asked about that, so presumably their statistics suggest
this is an issue in your area. One agile little burglar might be raising
premiums for miles around. Be interesting to know whether the insurance
companies pool their risk analysis statistics
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge wrote:
On 2015-02-17, stuart noble wrote:
[...]

No, nothing to do with local crime rates (no breakins in the estate in
the last 20+ years). Judging by the premium quoted it is seen as lowest
risk band. Seems to be baked in to the standard terms.

Chris K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 20 Feb 2015 08:47:54 +0000, stuart noble wrote:

[...]

As usual, it's (probably) a get-out-of-paying condition.
About 15 years ago a friend's house was broken into via a small transom. The
insurers wanted to know if the window was locked. The fact that it was
wasn't relevant, as the entire window and its sub-frame were on the ground
outside!
According to the NHS 'Trust' that arranged the insurance payment would have
been witheld if the window had been unlocked, so material facts are
necessary for the insured but not to the insurer.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , ChrisK
writes
Huge wrote:
On 2015-02-17, stuart noble wrote:
[...]

It certainly isn't standard, as I would avoid a policy that said such a
thing, so our current policy AXA, via M&S doesn't.

Can't remember details as it was 10 years ago, but we used to have
house contents ins. with them. We maid a faily small claim, and then on
renewal noticed a requirement like that I think (don't know if they were
related, or just a standard T&C change) but at that point we left them.

--
Chris French

Hudl2 thumbs up Lee UK diy 7 November 11th 14 01:04 PM
Twiddling Thumbs Jim Thompson[_3_] Electronic Schematics 17 June 15th 14 09:13 PM
Linux - thumbs down robgraham UK diy 156 May 3rd 14 08:47 AM
Heating oil for Liverpool Jim Hawkins UK diy 13 January 16th 13 01:10 AM
Anyone looking for a good central heating company in N Liverpool or Wirral? Hugo Nebula UK diy 7 November 26th 04 09:05 PM