Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Toasters

I've just pronounced my Russell Hobbs Classic toaster beyond
repair.

It is a good few years old, and whilst I was able to make my way
inside and diagnose the failure (a bit of springy wire had
fatigued) the plastic it clipped onto was too fragile for me to
fashion and install a replacement.

For such an inexpensive item (unless you really want it to be) I
am loath to spend hours searching through on-line reviews. My
usual first look at Which? seems to produce Best Buys which have
nevertheless attracted a significant number of negative comments.

Similarly, Amazon seems to produce a wide spread of experience,
such that it is sometimes hard to believe they have used the same
hardware.

I suppose my requirements are 2-slot, able to take large or thick
slices, brown evenly and have high enough lift to remove teacakes
and similar small items without having to use tongs.

I have no particular need to toast one side of a bagel, warm my
buns, or be able to count down to l(a)unch.

What should I look at?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Feb 2015 17:07:59 +0000
Chris J Dixon wrote:

and have high enough lift to remove teacakes
and similar small items without having to use tongs.

I reckon there is a market for something like a thin version of the
chip shop frying basket, so that these items can be hung in place and
then retrieved. At the moment, I use the 'eject and spear while in
flight' method.
I will watch this thread with interest.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 16 February 2015 17:44:08 UTC, Davey wrote:
I reckon there is a market for something like a thin version of the
chip shop frying basket, so that these items can be hung in place and
then retrieved.

There is, but don't bother writing in to Dragons' Den as it's already been done.

http://www.dualit.com/products/original-sandwich-cage

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

If its not yet mass market and produced by every badge engineered company
out there, its probably got a problem you only find out about when you use
it.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Davey" wrote in message
On Mon, 16 Feb 2015 10:12:55 -0800 (PST)
wrote:

On Monday, 16 February 2015 17:44:08 UTC, Davey wrote:
I reckon there is a market for something like a thin version of the
chip shop frying basket, so that these items can be hung in place
and then retrieved.

There is, but don't bother writing in to Dragons' Den as it's already
been done.

http://www.dualit.com/products/original-sandwich-cage

Owain

Darn! Beaten to it. Oh well.

--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, February 17, 2015 at 11:19:26 AM UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:
If its not yet mass market and produced by every badge engineered company
out there, its probably got a problem you only find out about when you use
it.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
wrote:

On Monday, 16 February 2015 17:44:08 UTC, Davey wrote:
I reckon there is a market for something like a thin version of the
chip shop frying basket, so that these items can be hung in place
and then retrieved.

There is, but don't bother writing in to Dragons' Den as it's already
been done.

http://www.dualit.com/products/original-sandwich-cage

Owain

Darn! Beaten to it. Oh well.

--
Davey.

We're a +1 for Tefal. Been functioning 10+ years, 2 slot, wide slots, muffin carrier on top. The only down side is that it doesn't have a spring system to throw the toast out when done!

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris J Dixon wrote:

and have high enough lift to remove teacakes
and similar small items without having to use tongs.

I reckon there is a market for something like a thin version of the
chip shop frying basket, so that these items can be hung in place and
then retrieved. At the moment, I use the 'eject and spear while in
flight' method.
I will watch this thread with interest.

I have a toaster which has elements with spiral elements in quartz
tubes, you can stick metal things in with a fair degree of safety to
grab the toast.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris J Dixon wrote:

and have high enough lift to remove teacakes
and similar small items without having to use tongs.

I reckon there is a market for something like a thin version of the
chip shop frying basket, so that these items can be hung in place
and then retrieved. At the moment, I use the 'eject and spear while
in flight' method.
I will watch this thread with interest.

I have a toaster which has elements with spiral elements in quartz
tubes, you can stick metal things in with a fair degree of safety to
grab the toast.

Although I have never fully tested the theory, surely, if any toaster is
turned off, then it should be pretty safe, even if metal is stuck down
into the bread cavity? My occasional such operations have never
resulted in any sparks or similar.
If the elements are physically damaged, then that is a different matter.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Davey wrote
F Murtz wrote
Davey wrote
Chris J Dixon wrote:

and have high enough lift to remove teacakes
and similar small items without having to use tongs.

I reckon there is a market for something like a thin version of the
chip shop frying basket, so that these items can be hung in place
and then retrieved. At the moment, I use the 'eject and spear while
in flight' method.

I will watch this thread with interest.

I have a toaster which has elements with spiral elements in quartz
tubes, you can stick metal things in with a fair degree of safety to
grab the toast.

Although I have never fully tested the theory, surely, if any toaster is
turned off, then it should be pretty safe, even if metal is stuck down
into the bread cavity?

Yes, but you can damage the element.

My occasional such operations have never resulted in any sparks or
similar.

There is no way to get sparks with it unplugged.

If the elements are physically damaged, then that is a different matter.

Yes, but its quite likely given how the elements are usually done.

And I much prefer a toaster to eject the bread when toasted
because I normally read the news on the PC while waiting for
the toast to toast and like to be able to hear it pop up when
its done on the other side of the big main open plan room.

None of mine actually fling the toast out of the toaster,
just pop up when its done with the toast still in the toaster.

And reliably turn the power off before popping up too
so that even if the toast does jam, it doesn't catch fire.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

F Murtz wrote
Davey wrote
Chris J Dixon wrote

and have high enough lift to remove teacakes
and similar small items without having to use tongs.

I reckon there is a market for something like a thin version of the
chip shop frying basket, so that these items can be hung in place
and then retrieved. At the moment, I use the 'eject and spear
while in flight' method.

I will watch this thread with interest.

I have a toaster which has elements with spiral elements in quartz
tubes, you can stick metal things in with a fair degree of safety to
grab the toast.

How evenly does it toast the toast ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:
F Murtz wrote
Davey wrote
Chris J Dixon wrote

and have high enough lift to remove teacakes
and similar small items without having to use tongs.

I reckon there is a market for something like a thin version of the
chip shop frying basket, so that these items can be hung in place and
then retrieved. At the moment, I use the 'eject and spear while in
flight' method.

I will watch this thread with interest.

I have a toaster which has elements with spiral elements in quartz
tubes, you can stick metal things in with a fair degree of safety to
grab the toast.

How evenly does it toast the toast ?

Fairly even but it toasts fairly quickly and you end up with outside
toasted with a very soft centre
It does have a setting to slow it down (on off on off etc)
It has settings,bagel,frozen,crisp etc.
It came from Aldi three or four years ago,I bought two on special when
they did not sell at the high price they wanted.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

F Murtz wrote
Rod Speed wrote
F Murtz wrote
Davey wrote
Chris J Dixon wrote

and have high enough lift to remove teacakes
and similar small items without having to use tongs.

I reckon there is a market for something like a thin
version of the chip shop frying basket, so that these
items can be hung in place and then retrieved. At the
moment, I use the 'eject and spear while in flight' method.

I will watch this thread with interest.

I have a toaster which has elements with spiral
elements in quartz tubes, you can stick metal things
in with a fair degree of safety to grab the toast.

How evenly does it toast the toast ?

Fairly even

How many of those elements does it have ?

but it toasts fairly quickly and you end up
with outside toasted with a very soft centre

When I was a kid I used to call that toast with bread in
the middle and it was my preferred toast. Achieved by
having the slices as thick as would still go in the toaster.

I still do my toast that way, but it only ends up with
bread in the middle when I put very thick frozen bread
in the toaster and I only do that when I have to use the
single very thick slice of bread I keep in the freezer for
when I manage to end up with no fresh bread to toast.

It does have a setting to slow it down (on off on off etc)
It has settings,bagel,frozen,crisp etc.

It came from Aldi three or four years ago,I bought two on
special when they did not sell at the high price they wanted.

Unfortunately my Aldi is 2 hours/$50 away.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris J Dixon wrote:

and have high enough lift to remove teacakes
and similar small items without having to use tongs.

I reckon there is a market for something like a thin version of the
chip shop frying basket, so that these items can be hung in place and
then retrieved. At the moment, I use the 'eject and spear while in
flight' method.
I will watch this thread with interest.

I have a toaster which has elements with spiral elements in quartz
tubes, you can stick metal things in with a fair degree of safety to
grab the toast.

what make is that, I looked everywhere for one of those.

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

critcher wrote in news:mcd1sg$bfl$1
@speranza.aioe.org:

Chris J Dixon wrote:

and have high enough lift to remove teacakes
and similar small items without having to use tongs.

I reckon there is a market for something like a thin version of the
chip shop frying basket, so that these items can be hung in place and
then retrieved. At the moment, I use the 'eject and spear while in
flight' method.
I will watch this thread with interest.

I have a toaster which has elements with spiral elements in quartz
tubes, you can stick metal things in with a fair degree of safety to
grab the toast.

what make is that, I looked everywhere for one of those.

---

Aren't they a bit dependant upon a decent and clean reflector behind the
tubular elements?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris J Dixon wrote:
[...]

FWIW We've had one of these which has performed satisfactorily for
nearly 20 years:

http://amazon.co.uk/Tefal-Avanti-Cla...dp/B0042AM3EU/

And they seem to be still making them, which must be a good sign.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Barnes wrote:
Chris J Dixon wrote:
[...]

We had one of those. The slots are way too small and restrictive IMO. Nine
out of ten slices of what *I* wanted to put in wouldn't fit. Fine if you
don't mind your slice size being somewhat limited.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I fault I had frequently with my old Tefal Avanti was a few crumbs getting
onto the face of the electro magnet and redering the hold-down mechanism
useless until stripped and cleaned.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mike Barnes
writes
Chris J Dixon wrote:
[...]

Both my mum and inlaws happen to have the 4 slot version. Both developed
the small fault - though I can't remember what ! - but it hasn't stopped
them using them whatever it is. Seem fine otherwise.

Still loving our dualit though.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris J Dixon wrote:
I've just pronounced my Russell Hobbs Classic toaster beyond
repair.

What should I look at?

Dualit.

The traditional one, not the newer ones:

http://www.dualit.com/products/2-slice-newgen

But the last time that I recall this question cropping up here, there
was the usual: "I can buy 5 cheapies from Argos for the price of a Dualit"
type of response, so make of that what you will.

My Dualit is relatively new. Only about 5 years old.

Gordon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/02/2015 18:49, Gordon Henderson wrote:
In article ,
Chris J Dixon wrote:
I've just pronounced my Russell Hobbs Classic toaster beyond
repair.

What should I look at?

Dualit.

The traditional one, not the newer ones:

http://www.dualit.com/products/2-slice-newgen

But the last time that I recall this question cropping up here, there
was the usual: "I can buy 5 cheapies from Argos for the price of a Dualit"
type of response, so make of that what you will.

My Dualit is relatively new. Only about 5 years old.

I inherited a Dualit about a year ago that looks the same as that linked
- it was already 10 yrs+. I've grown to like it.

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris J Dixon wrote:
I've just pronounced my Russell Hobbs Classic toaster beyond
repair.

What should I look at?

Dualit.

The traditional one, not the newer ones:

http://www.dualit.com/products/2-slice-newgen

But the last time that I recall this question cropping up here, there
was the usual: "I can buy 5 cheapies from Argos for the price of a Dualit"
type of response, so make of that what you will.

My Dualit is relatively new. Only about 5 years old.

Gordon

A truly awful thing for the following reasons:

It is twice as big as it needs to be
The build is so heavy that you need to pre warm it by running it empty
in order to get elements evenly hot
You can't save the setting, you have to remember where to set the timer
dial
The timer is !NOISY! Click clicl cliclk click.
When the noise has annoyed you you will be outraged to find that the
noise doesn't stop when the elements do - the timer runs on a bit so it
doesn't even tell you when your toast is done.
The 1 or 2 slice switch turns off only 2 of 3 elements. You will
sometimes get bread toasted one side only if you can't remember which
slot is which.
The elements fail frequently. Because they were designed in the 19th
century the element is wrapped around a sheet of mineral mica so
replacement elements cost more than a normal toaster.
It's only good for Sunblest type bread. It won't toast buns, bagels,
baguettes, Batch or bloomer which is too thick/small/thin/wide unless
carefully cut to the dims of a slice of Sunblest.

Really. don't bother. If you are even slightly irritable in the mornings
you will learn to hate it, and hatred at the breakfast table is not
good. It can affect you marriage, your work life, your health,
everything. Walk away before you waste £150.

Tim W
(Whose life was nearly ruined by a Dualit Wedding present)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 17/02/2015 10:52, Tim w wrote:

Tim W
(Whose life was nearly ruined by a Dualit Wedding present)

We have a Dualit. It has some advantages:

It is very robust - we are a large family and were going through 1
conventional toaster a year. The Dualit has lasted 10 years.

You can pop the toast up mid-toast to see how it's getting on.

The timer is large and easy to set pretty exactly. By now, I know what
settings to use, depending on whether the bread is frozen/fresh/slightly
stale and the toaster is warm or cold. The noise is not an issue.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 17 Feb 2015 10:57:36 +0000, GB wrote:

On 17/02/2015 10:52, Tim w wrote:

Tim W (Whose life was nearly ruined by a Dualit Wedding present)

We have a Dualit. It has some advantages:

It is very robust - we are a large family and were going through 1
conventional toaster a year. The Dualit has lasted 10 years.

You can pop the toast up mid-toast to see how it's getting on.

The timer is large and easy to set pretty exactly. By now, I know what
settings to use, depending on whether the bread is frozen/fresh/slightly
stale and the toaster is warm or cold. The noise is not an issue.

I'd agree with all that. I toast bagels in it with no problem. One learns
the timer settings so it not 'remembereing' is fine (and probably agood
thing as there can be several different things being toasted one after
the other).

Had ours about ten years. Replaced one element; that was probably
maltreatment by a teenager.

wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim w
writes
Chris J Dixon wrote:
[...]

I love our wedding present Dualit - now in it's 18th year. :-) (not sure
I could ever bring myself to buy one for myself though)

I've never preheated it, never had to replace an element, the noise is
useful - and it clicks as it turns off, just before the timer stops.

I fidn that I can easily set the timer to about the right amount
depending on the bread. And what I do like is that you can lift the
bread to see how it is doing with out cancelling the toasting.

True it's not great for things like teacakes etc as they are prone to
getting stuck, though crumpets are normally fine.- though I've always
preferred the grill for such things anyway. I toast all sorts of bread,
hand sliced or pre sliced in it though.

And it's great for having how far can we fire toast across the kitchen
competitions

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris J Dixon wrote:
[...]

Well, I loved the old 1950s Dualit. Noisy yes, so what, clockwork timers are. Yes the settings shift as it heats up if you make lots of toast. I never found that a problem. Having used various modern ones since, I'd take the old Dualit any day. Its as robust as a rock and does the job, day after day, decade after decade, and with a little maintenance it should do century after century. Gimmicks? none. Bit pricey now unfortunately.

Elements, upto a point you can just bolt broken ends together. But really they tend to break only if abused, just don't, how hard is it.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim w" wrote in message ...

[...]

Without being an expert the above comments confirm everything I've
always thought about Dualits. Basically if you're running a canteen
or a transport cafe where you need a toaster which will be in
continuous use for 4 or 5 hours a day, 6 or 7 days a week, often
being used often by untrained staff, and which is robust
enough to survive in a hostile environment, and where the amount
of noise it makes won't be an issue, then maybe the
cost of a Dualit is money well spent.
Otherwise if you're only going to be using the thing for 5
minutes a day and may become irritated by the its more
"industrial" aspects, then the fact it may last for 20 years
maybe isn't its biggest selling point.
Because they're spending so much money on a toaster, customers
may be led to believe that they're buying a Ferrari of toasters.
When in fact they're buying a Mark 1 Land Rover.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I like the Land Rover analagy!

I find myself wondering how many actual manufacturers of toasters are out
there in China - and how many makers of elements.

The badge tends to infer many things - including the desire to spend more
money and infer status on an item.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 18 Feb 2015 08:28:07 +0000, michael adams wrote:

Without being an expert the above comments confirm everything I've
always thought about Dualits. Basically if you're running a canteen or a
transport cafe where you need a toaster which will be in continuous use
for 4 or 5 hours a day, 6 or 7 days a week, often being used often by
untrained staff, and which is robust enough to survive in a hostile
environment, and where the amount of noise it makes won't be an issue,
then maybe the cost of a Dualit is money well spent.
Otherwise if you're only going to be using the thing for 5 minutes a day
and may become irritated by the its more "industrial" aspects, then the
fact it may last for 20 years maybe isn't its biggest selling point.

True, but there are times when we seem to have loads of peope here and
want a lot of toast in a hurry. We also have heavy handed teenagers. But
one thing that attracted me originally was something said here a long
while ago...about pop-up toasters jamming and catching fire. Not in the
nature of a Dualit.

Because they're spending so much money on a toaster, customers may be
led to believe that they're buying a Ferrari of toasters.
When in fact they're buying a Mark 1 Land Rover.

I expected a Land Rover! But then I used to own a Mark I Land Rover.

wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bob Eager
writes
[...]

Indeed, maybe a Mk1 Landrover is appropriate technology for a toaster?
:-) Dunno about a Ferrari, most other toasters seem more like a Little
Tikes Cozy coupe to me :-) (those little red and yellow ride in toy
cars)

I like that it just goes on and on, that it's tough, that the timer
makes a nice clicking noise etc. etc.

I use various other toasters and they all annoy me in one way or another
and don't seem to add anything. If one was to actually take something
and to be able to toast it automatically to a given brownness then that
might be an improvement, but none has so far AFAICS
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 Feb 2015 09:18:58 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

True, but there are times when we seem to have loads of peope here and
want a lot of toast in a hurry. We also have heavy handed teenagers.

http://www.nisbets.co.uk/Lincat-Conv...Detail.raction

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
michael adams wrote:

"Tim w" wrote in message ...

[...]

I dispute most of the above, but I'm a happy Dualit toaster owner.

But I appreciate it's a bit like the Dyson vs Henry argument. You'll
never please everyone.

Without being an expert the above comments confirm everything I've
always thought about Dualits. Basically if you're running a canteen
or a transport cafe where you need a toaster which will be in
continuous use for 4 or 5 hours a day, 6 or 7 days a week, often
being used often by untrained staff, and which is robust
enough to survive in a hostile environment, and where the amount
of noise it makes won't be an issue, then maybe the
cost of a Dualit is money well spent.

http://brodysbistro.com/images/brodysbanners_3.jpg

Student central in Exeter. There's almost always a queue out the door for it.

Otherwise if you're only going to be using the thing for 5
minutes a day and may become irritated by the its more
"industrial" aspects, then the fact it may last for 20 years
maybe isn't its biggest selling point.

I like kitchen gadgets that "just work". The quiet buzz of the timer
then the final click and the fact that it doesn't auto pop-up (which
keeps it warm) are things I like, but I also bake my own bread and have
never had an issue with it not fitting...

Because they're spending so much money on a toaster, customers
may be led to believe that they're buying a Ferrari of toasters.
When in fact they're buying a Mark 1 Land Rover.

There are more Mk 1 Land Rovers on the road than Ferrari's, and
they're easier to fix :-)

Gordon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/02/2015 17:07, Chris J Dixon wrote:
[...]

We've just been through this process - had a Swan 2 long slot toaster
which broke after very long service. We started looking for one with
stainless steel finish to match other stuff in the kitchen. Gave up in
the end - I think we found one long slot (Graef) listed at John Lewis at
£79.95 but it was only one slot. Apparently we were looking for a
toaster which handles "artisan bread" - you know, the unsliced stuff you
can get in any supermarket. We eventually bought a Kenwood TTP210
4-Slice 2 long slot toaster for £35.95 from John Lewis - seems to do the
job, my wife reckons it doesn't toast very evenly but I've not really
found a problem with it. It has a lever you can flick smaller items up with.

Dualit used to do a 2 long slot toaster but when we looked it had been
discontinued.

Since buying our toaster we have noticed several white 2 long slot
toasters in discount shops for around £10-£15 - no idea if they are any
good though!

I don't understand why anyone would buy a toaster which can only handle
square bread.

Biggles
Remove packaging. to e-mail me
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Biggles wrote:
I don't understand why anyone would buy a toaster which can only handle
square bread.

There's no such thing as a toaster that can only handle square bread.

If a slice is too long for your slot, just cut it in half. That works
for me, and the bread comes in all shapes and sizes *except* square.
That's because, in the best traditions of this group, I make it myself.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 18 Feb 2015 21:15:50 +0000, Sam Plusnet wrote:

If a slice is too long for your slot, just cut it in half. That works
for me, and the bread comes in all shapes and sizes *except* square.
That's because, in the best traditions of this group, I make it myself.

Yerbut. The toaster should be designed to handle bread.

If you have to re-shape the bread in order to fit the toaster, the
designer of that toaster has really done a cr@p job.

Did you miss the point, that bread is not all the same size and shape?

What size do you make a toaster that'll handle _any_ bread you're likely
to have handy? And how the hell will you ever get, say, a crumpet out of
the bottom of it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adrian wrote:
On Wed, 18 Feb 2015 21:15:50 +0000, Sam Plusnet wrote:

If a slice is too long for your slot, just cut it in half. That works
for me, and the bread comes in all shapes and sizes *except* square.
That's because, in the best traditions of this group, I make it myself.

Yerbut. The toaster should be designed to handle bread.

If you have to re-shape the bread in order to fit the toaster, the
designer of that toaster has really done a cr@p job.

Did you miss the point, that bread is not all the same size and shape?

What size do you make a toaster that'll handle _any_ bread you're likely
to have handy? And how the hell will you ever get, say, a crumpet out of
the bottom of it?

turn it upside down

--
From KT24 in Surrey

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian" wrote in message
On Wed, 18 Feb 2015 21:15:50 +0000, Sam Plusnet wrote:

If a slice is too long for your slot, just cut it in half. That works
for me, and the bread comes in all shapes and sizes *except* square.
That's because, in the best traditions of this group, I make it myself.

Yerbut. The toaster should be designed to handle bread.

If you have to re-shape the bread in order to fit the toaster, the
designer of that toaster has really done a cr@p job.

Did you miss the point, that bread is not all the same size and shape?

No. Clearly any well designed toaster should be able
to toast any commonly made or bought bread.

What size do you make a toaster that'll handle _any_ bread you're likely
to have handy?

Big enough to handle any commonly made or bought bread.

And how the hell will you ever get,
say, a crumpet out of the bottom of it?

By having a decent high lift lever, preferably
one that operates automatically if you dont
prefer that it stays in the toaster to keep warm
after its been toasted and is manually ejected
instead. It wouldnt be hard to design a toaster
that could do it either way depending on what
the owner wants to do at a particular time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Even if you've had a half century of toast making like me you might be
suprised to find that that chirpy dick from Essex is getting even richer
than he was by telling us all how to make toast the Italian way.
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandst...mie-oliver-way
Tim W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris J Dixon wrote:
[...]

Have a think about a small toaster oven. Prices start from as low as £20.99
on Amazon. Our niece has one in the US and finds it much more versatile
than a toaster.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008DCOTE...1C142R825PGVXT

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I looked at a Kenwood TTM310 s shown on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kenwood-TTM3.../dp/B000TZX2YW

Having seen them at their original ridiculously high price (can't
remember the number but it was more than I was willing to pay), I
actually bought one, at a very low end of line discounted price, from
Robert Dyas online. Seem to no longer be available at all.

Being so pleased, and utterly convinced that when it went wrong I
wouldn't be able to find a suitable alternative, I bought a second one
which is waiting in the loft right now...

Handles everything I throw at it from fully frozen croissants to
doorstep slices. Not good, however, if rate of toasting is an issue.
Being single slot it is relatively slow, but perfectly adequate for me
(partner doesn't eat bread at all). For those who care, it does not pop
up but does have a manual lifter.

--
Rod

Toasters Gordon Henderson UK diy 110 November 7th 11 09:05 AM
Toasters Graham. UK diy 2 April 28th 11 11:09 AM