Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Takeovers

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
tim..... wrote:

"Bill" wrote in message
On the news today, I thought I heard that Poundland were buying the
complete 99p Stores chain.

I think this is sad

The range of goods is much greater in (my local) 99p store

They obviously make much better deals with suppliers.

Though I note that they make wafer thin margins, perhaps they just agree
deals at a higher wholesale price, that the pound store walk away from.

My local one is actually the old Woolworth, so a large store in a prime
location (in that high street at least)

ditto

I do occasionally have a look round and there are some bargains. But there
are equally as many things 'marked up' to that quid.

take a look around the pound store, there's a far greater percentage in this
category

Basically, If I did an average shop in there, I'd pay a lot more than in
Lidl for the same sort of things based on price per unit of weight or
volume.

well don't buy food there then (it isn't, after all, a supermarket!)

simples

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tim..... wrote:
My local one is actually the old Woolworth, so a large store in a prime
location (in that high street at least)

ditto

I do occasionally have a look round and there are some bargains. But
there are equally as many things 'marked up' to that quid.

take a look around the pound store, there's a far greater percentage in
this category

Basically, If I did an average shop in there, I'd pay a lot more than
in Lidl for the same sort of things based on price per unit of weight
or volume.

well don't buy food there then (it isn't, after all, a supermarket!)

The one I'm talking about has more space devoted to food than anything
else.

Broaden that into things you can also buy in the average supermarket, and
it becomes more like 3/4. And on my (fairly rare) visits, I see lots of
people buying things they could get better value from Lidl. Or even the
Sainsbury next door - if they shop carefully.

So I do wonder why so many seem to like them for groceries. Perhaps just
because it's easy to keep track of what you're spending. But don't expect
to get value for money on every item.

--
*If at first you don't succeed, avoid skydiving.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In ,
wrote:
[...]

What I notice has happened, is that the major brands have managed to
force out the minor brands. Doesn't happen with Lidl and Aldi.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Capitol wrote:
Broaden that into things you can also buy in the average supermarket,
and it becomes more like 3/4. And on my (fairly rare) visits, I see
lots of people buying things they could get better value from Lidl. Or
even the Sainsbury next door - if they shop carefully.

So I do wonder why so many seem to like them for groceries. Perhaps
just because it's easy to keep track of what you're spending. But
don't expect to get value for money on every item.

What I notice has happened, is that the major brands have managed to
force out the minor brands. Doesn't happen with Lidl and Aldi.

Right. What I noticed is the major brands seem to sell special package
sizes designed to be sold for that quid. And at a price per unit of weight
etc rather higher than in the Sainsbury next door.

I can understand a convenience shop being more expensive than a 'normal'
supermarket - but haven't really understood the success of these 'pound
shops'.

--
*Modulation in all things *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Capitol wrote:
[...]

because they really do sell stuff for less than Sainsbury's

you haven't looked hard enough

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tim..... wrote:
I can understand a convenience shop being more expensive than a
'normal' supermarket - but haven't really understood the success of
these 'pound shops'.

because they really do sell stuff for less than Sainsbury's

you haven't looked hard enough

I'm sure they sell some stuff cheaper than Sainsbury. After all, just
about any supermarket does.

What sort of thing are you referring to? Every time I've checked on
something they both sell, Sainsbury is cheaper. But of course I've not
checked everything.

--
*Cover me. I'm changing lanes.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 09 Feb 2015 12:47:35 +0000, Jethro_uk wrote:

Returning to Poundshops - they have achieved a niche in the average
shoppers mind of "being cheaper" - and that's all it takes. It's the
same con Kwik-Fit pulled years ago - they were (and probably still are)
at the pricier end of the market, but a few cringeworthy commercials
managed to convince Joe Soap that they were the cheapest around.

....and it's still working beautifully for the Aldidl twins.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 09 Feb 2015 13:32:06 +0000, Jethro_uk wrote:

Returning to Poundshops - they have achieved a niche in the average
shoppers mind of "being cheaper" - and that's all it takes. It's the
same con Kwik-Fit pulled years ago - they were (and probably still
are)
at the pricier end of the market, but a few cringeworthy commercials
managed to convince Joe Soap that they were the cheapest around.

...and it's still working beautifully for the Aldidl twins.

Since we were passing a Lidl Saturday, we popped in. Thought we'd take a
punt on their Cottage Pie ready meal - at £1.49 they're £1.01 cheaper
then the Sainsburys equivalent (which is quite nice).

Never again. Quite aside from the 5% (by weight, not volume) of onions,
you could see where the £1.01 had been saved.

Buying ready meals by price is asking for trouble...

SWMBO stopped in to one of the Aldidls (I never can remember which is
which) whilst out with a friend from the village recently. Having just
bought olive oil from Sainsbury, she looked at their choice. More
expensive...

Takeovers Rod Speed UK diy 12 February 10th 15 11:06 AM
Takeovers Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 1 February 7th 15 09:11 PM