Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Starting chainsaws etc. (Was: New petrol chainsaw - what to gofor?)

On 2015-02-07, Another John wrote:
In article ,
Huge wrote:

I have a McCulloch which I wouldn't recommend on account of it being a pig
to start. Especially if you follow the directions.

OP here again ... I mean to say this earlier... on the subject of
starting ******* things like old lawnmowers, old chainsaws etc: a
couple of years ago I started squirting Plusgas into the air intake of
the relevant swine: starts first time every time, and once warmed never
fails after that!

For the last year or so I've been using a trick that someone on here mentioned
which works a treat. Run an (unlit!) gas blowtorch into the air inlet when
trying to start 2 strokes. I can start the pig chainsaw (hope so! I'm about
to go and cut some wood...) and the recalcitrant hedge trimmers on the
second or third pull that way. Another trick that works is to warm them up
with a heat gun before trying to start them from cold.

Never tried that, but I *have* used a lit gas blowtorch to warm up the
float chamber or carburettor body. One of the type used by cooks for
creme brulee, although I use mine for soldering away from the mains.

Less alarming than you might think as long as you keep it away from fuel
pipes and electrical wires.

Also a hot air gun, if you have electricity to hand.