Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default TV simulator @ Lidl

Been after one of these for ages. Got one at Lid today. 7.99

Very good, cant tell difference. Claims uses 3W. Would recommend.

http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-...etail&id=20232
Simulate the flicker of a TV image, acting as a deterrent to potential
burglars
Built-in twilight sensor switches device on when darkness falls,
remaining operative for 2, 4 or 6 hours
Free standing or mountable (mounting materials included)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 Jan 2015 20:01:45 +0000, Simon Cee wrote:

Been after one of these for ages. Got one at Lid today. 7.99

Very good, cant tell difference. Claims uses 3W. Would recommend.

http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-...etail&id=20232
Simulate the flicker of a TV image, acting as a deterrent to potential
burglars
Built-in twilight sensor switches device on when darkness falls,
remaining operative for 2, 4 or 6 hours
Free standing or mountable (mounting materials included)

Nothing to do with drag queens then.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Simon Cee" wrote in message
Been after one of these for ages. Got one at Lid today. 7.99

Very good, cant tell difference. Claims uses 3W. Would recommend.

http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-...etail&id=20232
Simulate the flicker of a TV image, acting as a deterrent to potential
burglars
Built-in twilight sensor switches device on when darkness falls,
remaining operative for 2, 4 or 6 hours
Free standing or mountable (mounting materials included)

That would make me look like a **** if a **** from TV Licensing turned up at
my house (not that they allowed to enter my property including the garden)
but you can see my windows from the street.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 Jan 2015 20:11:08 +0000, Graham. wrote:

On Wed, 28 Jan 2015 20:01:45 +0000, Simon Cee wrote:

Been after one of these for ages. Got one at Lid today. 7.99

Nothing to do with drag queens then.

You're probably thinking of the TV *STIMULATOR*. Totally different
device. At a totally different website

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, January 28, 2015 at 8:13:40 PM UTC, ARW wrote:
"Simon Cee" wrote in message
Been after one of these for ages. Got one at Lid today. 7.99

Very good, cant tell difference. Claims uses 3W. Would recommend.

http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-...etail&id=20232
Simulate the flicker of a TV image, acting as a deterrent to potential
burglars
Built-in twilight sensor switches device on when darkness falls,
remaining operative for 2, 4 or 6 hours
Free standing or mountable (mounting materials included)

That would make me look like a **** if a **** from TV Licensing turned up at
my house (not that they allowed to enter my property including the garden)
but you can see my windows from the street.

You can fk with them for ages over that

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote
Simon Cee wrote

Been after one of these for ages. Got one at Lid today. 7.99

Very good, cant tell difference. Claims uses 3W. Would recommend.

http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-...etail&id=20232

Simulate the flicker of a TV image, acting as a deterrent to potential
burglars
Built-in twilight sensor switches device on when darkness falls,
remaining operative for 2, 4 or 6 hours
Free standing or mountable (mounting materials included)

What a good idea!

Dunno, it will be interesting to see how long it takes the
burglars to check if they can hear any TV sound now.

Corse if you aren't there, there is no reason
why you can't just have a real TV running etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:
Bob Minchin wrote
Simon Cee wrote

Been after one of these for ages. Got one at Lid today. 7.99

Very good, cant tell difference. Claims uses 3W. Would recommend.

http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-...etail&id=20232

Simulate the flicker of a TV image, acting as a deterrent to
potential burglars
Built-in twilight sensor switches device on when darkness falls,
remaining operative for 2, 4 or 6 hours
Free standing or mountable (mounting materials included)

What a good idea!

Dunno, it will be interesting to see how long it takes the
burglars to check if they can hear any TV sound now.

Corse if you aren't there, there is no reason
why you can't just have a real TV running etc.

I've often left a radio on as a low cost deterrent
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 Jan 2015 21:06:11 +0000, Bob Minchin
wrote:

why you can't just have a real TV running etc.

I've often left a radio on as a low cost deterrent

Yes I've done that. Good thing about this gadget is 3W for, say, 3
hours a night equals about 50p a year in electric - versus 30 times
that [£15] for a TV using typical 100W. Plus no wear on TV, reduced
fire risk (?) and easy timer or auto operation, esp useful for
holidays. I kmow our TV wont switch on with a timer.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Bob Minchin" wrote in message
Rod Speed wrote:
Bob Minchin wrote
Simon Cee wrote

Been after one of these for ages. Got one at Lid today. 7.99

Very good, cant tell difference. Claims uses 3W. Would recommend.

http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-...etail&id=20232

Simulate the flicker of a TV image, acting as a deterrent to
potential burglars
Built-in twilight sensor switches device on when darkness falls,
remaining operative for 2, 4 or 6 hours
Free standing or mountable (mounting materials included)

What a good idea!

Dunno, it will be interesting to see how long it takes the
burglars to check if they can hear any TV sound now.

Corse if you aren't there, there is no reason
why you can't just have a real TV running etc.

I've often left a radio on as a low cost deterrent

I recommend Radio 2 and Chris Evans and Vanessa Feltz for 5.00am to 9.30am
total protection.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Cee wrote
Bob Minchin wrote
Rod Speed wrote

why you can't just have a real TV running etc.

I've often left a radio on as a low cost deterrent

Yes I've done that. Good thing about this gadget is 3W
for, say, 3 hours a night equals about 50p a year in electric -
versus 30 times that [£15] for a TV using typical 100W.

But the burglars may wake up to the fact that there is no
sound quite quickly if those devices become popular.

Corse there is nothing to stop someone
doing one with audio from DAB etc too.

Plus no wear on TV,

That's a pretty minor consideration if
it would be on when you are home.

reduced fire risk (?)

That's very dubious too.

and easy timer or auto operation, esp useful for holidays.

Easier to just leave the TV on while you are out.

I kmow our TV wont switch on with a timer.

Then just leave it on when you leave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Simon Cee" wrote in message
Been after one of these for ages. Got one at Lid today. 7.99

Very good, cant tell difference. Claims uses 3W. Would recommend.

http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-...etail&id=20232
Simulate the flicker of a TV image, acting as a deterrent to potential
burglars
Built-in twilight sensor switches device on when darkness falls,
remaining operative for 2, 4 or 6 hours
Free standing or mountable (mounting materials included)

That would make me look like a **** if a **** from TV Licensing turned up at
my house (not that they allowed to enter my property including the garden)
but you can see my windows from the street.

You can fk with them for ages over that

NT

Most viewing I do with my TV set doesn't require a licence. This is
becoming more and more the case for more and more people.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/01/2015 20:13, ARW wrote:
"Simon Cee" wrote in message
Been after one of these for ages. Got one at Lid today. 7.99

Very good, cant tell difference. Claims uses 3W. Would recommend.

http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-...etail&id=20232
Simulate the flicker of a TV image, acting as a deterrent to potential
burglars
Built-in twilight sensor switches device on when darkness falls,
remaining operative for 2, 4 or 6 hours
Free standing or mountable (mounting materials included)

That would make me look like a **** if a **** from TV Licensing turned
up at my house (not that they allowed to enter my property including the
garden) but you can see my windows from the street.

No, that would make *them* look like a c*nt when you invite them in to
inspect your 'TV'!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, January 28, 2015 at 10:44:20 PM UTC, Roger Mills wrote:
On 28/01/2015 20:13, ARW wrote:
"Simon Cee" wrote in message
Been after one of these for ages. Got one at Lid today. 7.99

Very good, cant tell difference. Claims uses 3W. Would recommend.

http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-...etail&id=20232
Simulate the flicker of a TV image, acting as a deterrent to potential
burglars
Built-in twilight sensor switches device on when darkness falls,
remaining operative for 2, 4 or 6 hours
Free standing or mountable (mounting materials included)

That would make me look like a **** if a **** from TV Licensing turned
up at my house (not that they allowed to enter my property including the
garden) but you can see my windows from the street.

No, that would make *them* look like a c*nt when you invite them in to
inspect your 'TV'!

why would anyone ever do that?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 28 January 2015 23:23:39 UTC, wrote:
No, that would make *them* look like a c*nt when you invite them in to
inspect your 'TV'!

why would anyone ever do that?

My mum; she's ever so obliging and doesn't get many visitors.

Even the JWs don't call any more.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

Erm, what is the point?

The point is that most of the burglars won't deliberately
enter a place they believe has someone inside it.

"Simon Cee" wrote in message
Been after one of these for ages. Got one at Lid today. 7.99

Very good, cant tell difference. Claims uses 3W. Would recommend.

http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-...etail&id=20232
Simulate the flicker of a TV image, acting as a deterrent to potential
burglars
Built-in twilight sensor switches device on when darkness falls,
remaining operative for 2, 4 or 6 hours
Free standing or mountable (mounting materials included)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Brian Gaff
writes
Erm, what is the point?

To make people (eg burglars) think that the TV is on, and so think
someone is in the house
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/01/15 20:01, Simon Cee wrote:
Been after one of these for ages. Got one at Lid today. 7.99

Very good, cant tell difference. Claims uses 3W. Would recommend.

http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-...etail&id=20232
Simulate the flicker of a TV image, acting as a deterrent to potential
burglars
Built-in twilight sensor switches device on when darkness falls,
remaining operative for 2, 4 or 6 hours
Free standing or mountable (mounting materials included)

Can't see that link -

But if it is the FakeTV it's quite decent. If the curtains are drawn and
the device is next to the TV not pointing at the curtains, it looks
quite convincing from the outside. Does a nice random display of white,
flickering colours and long pauses at certain colours.

It would be better if it had a random on/off timing though - coming on
for 4-6 hours solid is a bit dodgy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/01/15 09:36, Brian Gaff wrote:
Erm, what is the point?

Brian

Confuses burglars.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris French wrote:
In message , Brian Gaff
writes
Erm, what is the point?

To make people (eg burglars) think that the TV is on, and so think
someone is in the house

My view is it's the sort of thing that appeals to those who don't know
burglars, but think they do.

I never watch TV in total darkness. So I'd have to leave those lights on
too. I'd also be surprised if it looks anything like the effect you'd get
with the usual large screen TV.

--
*To steal ideas from *one* person is plagiarism; from many, research*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
I never watch TV in total darkness.

Neither do I, but some of my family does.

So I'd have to leave those lights on
too. I'd also be surprised if it looks anything like the effect you'd get
with the usual large screen TV.

I made one of these at school for a school play. It was a real wooden
TV with the guts and screen removed, which had a light put inside
which flickered randomly. It faced away from the audience towards the
actors who were supposedly watching TV. Worked very well. Long before
the days of power LEDs (or any LEDs other than red). Lots of TV's
were still B&W then, so I didn't need to bother with colours.

I saw the thing in Lidl and it reminded me of the one I made all those
years ago, except the Lidl one was probably 10 times the price it cost
me! Did wonder how bright it was too.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Watts writes:
On 29/01/15 09:36, Brian Gaff wrote:
Erm, what is the point?

Brian

Confuses burglars.

Bloody infuriating when you break in to nick the TV, only to find
a little flashing LED...

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Jan 2015 14:40:05 +0000 (UTC),
(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
I never watch TV in total darkness.

Neither do I, but some of my family does.

So I'd have to leave those lights on
too. I'd also be surprised if it looks anything like the effect you'd get
with the usual large screen TV.

I made one of these at school for a school play. It was a real wooden
TV with the guts and screen removed, which had a light put inside
which flickered randomly. It faced away from the audience towards the
actors who were supposedly watching TV. Worked very well. Long before
the days of power LEDs (or any LEDs other than red). Lots of TV's
were still B&W then, so I didn't need to bother with colours.

I saw the thing in Lidl and it reminded me of the one I made all those
years ago, except the Lidl one was probably 10 times the price it cost
me! Did wonder how bright it was too.

This reminds me of something I did with a real (practical in
stage-speak) TV on the studio set of a Granada detective drama called
Bullman.

The director wanted to show a horse-race on the screen but it was
important that none of jockeys colours etc. were identifiable.

The cameras had too much depth of field to de-focus the set and let
the characters remain in focus, so it was my task to defocus the TV
picture electronically.

Even with the focus pot at its limit they were not satisfied so I
ended up soldering a chain of high value resistors in series with the
tip end of the pot to get the desired effect.

This was the mid 1980s

Can you imagine this being done in the current H&S environment?

Me with a hot soldering iron.

Scantly clad actors (I think it may have been a bedroom scene) around
a CRT TV with its guts hanging out.

Not to mention trade union demarcation of the time, which should have
no doubt precluded a humble TV engineer working on a production.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
I never watch TV in total darkness.

Neither do I, but some of my family does.

So I'd have to leave those lights on too. I'd also be surprised if it
looks anything like the effect you'd get with the usual large screen
TV.

I made one of these at school for a school play. It was a real wooden
TV with the guts and screen removed, which had a light put inside
which flickered randomly. It faced away from the audience towards the
actors who were supposedly watching TV. Worked very well. Long before
the days of power LEDs (or any LEDs other than red). Lots of TV's
were still B&W then, so I didn't need to bother with colours.

I saw the thing in Lidl and it reminded me of the one I made all those
years ago, except the Lidl one was probably 10 times the price it cost
me! Did wonder how bright it was too.

I'm not sure you actually need colour. All the houses round here have very
small front gardens, so you're often aware a TV is on when walking past at
night. But usually just by a coldish 'white' flicker. Can't say I've ever
noticed anything else. Unless you can actually see the TV screen, of
course. But I am aware that light source is a pretty large one as it
produces a soft light over most of the room.

--
*The modem is the message *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Jan 2015 15:55:12 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I'm not sure you actually need colour.

Probably not as you say the source is quite large and diffuse so the
colours will mi and, presumably, the average image when averaged over
it's entirity is very close to white.

All the houses round here have very small front gardens, so you're often
aware a TV is on when walking past at night.

Can't people afford curtains round your way? B-)

Curtains here are draw when it gets dark, in winter two pairs, one
set in the reveal close to the window itself and another set to cover
the reveal opening. The set close to the window are medium weight
lined, the outer set heavy and also lined. Don't half reduce the heat
loss even through DG.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
All the houses round here have very small front gardens, so you're
often aware a TV is on when walking past at night.

Can't people afford curtains round your way? B-)

Curtains are soooo last year.

But you don't spend 100 grand on your open plan conversion then cover it
up at night. The neighbours can't be jealous of what they can't see. ;-)

--
*You are validating my inherent mistrust of strangers

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
All the houses round here have very small front gardens, so you're
often aware a TV is on when walking past at night.

Can't people afford curtains round your way? B-)

Curtains are soooo last year.

But you don't spend 100 grand on your open plan conversion then cover it
up at night. The neighbours can't be jealous of what they can't see. ;-)

however, people who live in glass houses

should undress in the dark

--
From KT24 in Surrey

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
All the houses round here have very small front gardens, so you're
often aware a TV is on when walking past at night.

Can't people afford curtains round your way? B-)

Curtains are soooo last year.

But you don't spend 100 grand on your open plan conversion then cover it
up at night. The neighbours can't be jealous of what they can't see. ;-)

however, people who live in glass houses

should undress in the dark

The open plan bit doesn't usually include the bathrooms and bedrooms.
Although when these houses were built it's quite possible some still
preferred a tin bath in front of the fire. ;-)

--
*Sherlock Holmes never said "Elementary, my dear Watson" *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
charles wrote:
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
All the houses round here have very small front gardens, so you're
often aware a TV is on when walking past at night.

Can't people afford curtains round your way? B-)

Curtains are soooo last year.

But you don't spend 100 grand on your open plan conversion then cover it
up at night. The neighbours can't be jealous of what they can't see. ;-)

however, people who live in glass houses

should undress in the dark

The open plan bit doesn't usually include the bathrooms and bedrooms.
Although when these houses were built it's quite possible some still
preferred a tin bath in front of the fire. ;-)

it's easier to get the coal onto the fire if the bath is in front of the
fire.

--
From KT24 in Surrey

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/01/15 21:38, Gordon Freeman wrote:
Simon Cee wrote:

Been after one of these for ages. Got one at Lid today. 7.99

Very good, cant tell difference. Claims uses 3W. Would recommend.

I've decided to replace my TV with one! Saves me the cost of a TV licence
too.

Don;t be too sure. If you concentrate really hard you might see a BBC
transmisison in the flashing...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 30 Jan 2015 00:37:25 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Can't people afford curtains round your way? B-)

Curtains are soooo last year.

But you don't spend 100 grand on your open plan conversion then cover it
up at night. The neighbours can't be jealous of what they can't see. ;-)

The humping on the sofa ...

--
Cheers
Dave.