Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Roofing Options

I have a carport, currently covered in felt (that is leaking). I am considering three options:

1. Remove and replace the felt (cheapest, but shortest life)
2. remove felt and replace with EPDM (expensive and needs to be put down properly to achieve the best watertight finish).
3. Remove the felt and Use corrugated steel sheets on the OSB; or
4. Remove the felt and the OSB and used corrugated steel sheets on the timber roofing framework(issues with condensation)

What are the views of the readers of UK DIY as to the best option?

Cheers

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, January 14, 2015 at 12:25:07 PM UTC, puffernutter wrote:
I have a carport, currently covered in felt (that is leaking). I am considering three options:

1. Remove and replace the felt (cheapest, but shortest life)
2. remove felt and replace with EPDM (expensive and needs to be put down properly to achieve the best watertight finish).
3. Remove the felt and Use corrugated steel sheets on the OSB; or
4. Remove the felt and the OSB and used corrugated steel sheets on the timber roofing framework(issues with condensation)

What are the views of the readers of UK DIY as to the best option?

Cheers

Peter

use decent felt. Corrie steel works but man its ugly.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/01/15 12:25, puffernutter wrote:
I have a carport, currently covered in felt (that is leaking). I am considering three options:

1. Remove and replace the felt (cheapest, but shortest life)
2. remove felt and replace with EPDM (expensive and needs to be put down properly to achieve the best watertight finish).
3. Remove the felt and Use corrugated steel sheets on the OSB; or
4. Remove the felt and the OSB and used corrugated steel sheets on the timber roofing framework(issues with condensation)

What are the views of the readers of UK DIY as to the best option?

Cheers

Peter

How about corrugated ali?

OTOH youtube vids suggest EDPM is DIY-able and a carport is not a
critical location.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, January 14, 2015 at 12:25:07 PM UTC, puffernutter wrote:
I have a carport, currently covered in felt (that is leaking). I am considering three options:

1. Remove and replace the felt (cheapest, but shortest life)
2. remove felt and replace with EPDM (expensive and needs to be put down properly to achieve the best watertight finish).
3. Remove the felt and Use corrugated steel sheets on the OSB; or
4. Remove the felt and the OSB and used corrugated steel sheets on the timber roofing framework(issues with condensation)

Fibreglass maybe?

Saw a demo of this in the local Selco...

http://www.glasplies.co.uk

....and it didn't seem *too* frightening as a DIY option.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fibreglass maybe?

Saw a demo of this in the local Selco...

http://www.glasplies.co.uk

...and it didn't seem *too* frightening as a DIY option.

I did my shed roof with the Cure-IT fibreglass system and it worked out well. Kind of tense getting it all on in time, and the mess created requires careful preparation for where you're going to put resin coated stuff, but definitely do-able. Ridged roller for de-bubbling is a must.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

On Wednesday, January 14, 2015 at 4:19:52 PM UTC, mike wrote:
On Wednesday, January 14, 2015 at 12:25:07 PM UTC, puffernutter wrote:
I have a carport, currently covered in felt (that is leaking). I am considering three options:

1. Remove and replace the felt (cheapest, but shortest life)
2. remove felt and replace with EPDM (expensive and needs to be put down properly to achieve the best watertight finish).
3. Remove the felt and Use corrugated steel sheets on the OSB; or
4. Remove the felt and the OSB and used corrugated steel sheets on the timber roofing framework(issues with condensation)

Fibreglass maybe?

Saw a demo of this in the local Selco...

http://www.glasplies.co.uk

...and it didn't seem *too* frightening as a DIY option.

OT: what a fantastic place Glasplies of Southport used to be. Some thirty-five
years ago, my Dad used to drive there occasionally; our local Scout troop made
fibreglass canoes and bought all the stuff from there. It was an old farm with
everything just lying around, and ye anciente price list all typed up and
roneo'd. It was a wonderful place for a teenager to wander about and play with
the chemicals, rollers & all sorts.

It was at the back of beyond and I understand it was built on top of a glass
factory or similar? you could unearth loads of old HP sauce bottles just by kicking around...

J^n
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"puffernutter" wrote in message
I have a carport, currently covered in felt (that is leaking). I am
considering three options:

1. Remove and replace the felt (cheapest, but shortest life)
2. remove felt and replace with EPDM (expensive and needs to be put down
properly to achieve the best watertight finish).
3. Remove the felt and Use corrugated steel sheets on the OSB; or
4. Remove the felt and the OSB and used corrugated steel sheets on the
timber roofing framework(issues with condensation)

What are the views of the readers of UK DIY as to the best option?

http://www.eroofs.co.uk/dept/72/Corr...FQQTwwodNpQAsw

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"puffernutter" wrote in message
I have a carport, currently covered in felt (that is leaking). I am
considering three options:

1. Remove and replace the felt (cheapest, but shortest life)
2. remove felt and replace with EPDM (expensive and needs to be put down
properly to achieve the best watertight finish).
3. Remove the felt and Use corrugated steel sheets on the OSB; or
4. Remove the felt and the OSB and used corrugated steel sheets
on the timber roofing framework(issues with condensation)

What are the views of the readers of UK DIY as to the best option?

Metal decking works better than corrugated steel sheets.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Wednesday, January 14, 2015 at 12:25:07 PM UTC, puffernutter wrote:
I have a carport, currently covered in felt (that is leaking). I am
considering three options:

1. Remove and replace the felt (cheapest, but shortest life)
2. remove felt and replace with EPDM (expensive and needs to be put down
properly to achieve the best watertight finish).
3. Remove the felt and Use corrugated steel sheets on the OSB; or
4. Remove the felt and the OSB and used corrugated steel sheets on the
timber roofing framework(issues with condensation)

What are the views of the readers of UK DIY as to the best option?

use decent felt. Corrie steel works but man its ugly.

Metal decking looks fine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 14 January 2015 12:25:07 UTC, puffernutter wrote:
I have a carport, currently covered in felt (that is leaking). I am considering three options:

1. Remove and replace the felt (cheapest, but shortest life)
2. remove felt and replace with EPDM (expensive and needs to be put down properly to achieve the best watertight finish).
3. Remove the felt and Use corrugated steel sheets on the OSB; or
4. Remove the felt and the OSB and used corrugated steel sheets on the timber roofing framework(issues with condensation)

What are the views of the readers of UK DIY as to the best option?

Cheers

Peter

I had to decide on what roof to go for recently. Concrete tiles some broken corners due to frost and the wind had caused the tiles to move wearing through the old fashioned type of felt undeneath. I went for new everything with artificial slates and a long guarantee. Some of the felts are rather thin now and the heavier fancy ones very expensive.

The slates have masses of overlap and are nailed in place so not much chance of them moving. They also fit a sort of bent over bit that hold down the bottom edges sometimes so that wind can't lift them if the pitch of the roof is low.

Some of these types of slate go white after a few years so best look around and see what is fitted locally.

There is some sort of membrane available that can be simply draped over a roof as it is but if a house and sold building societies don't like it. Some people have the back of the house done as passers by don't see it.

Flat roofs - osb board etc and a rubber covering. Cheap and works well. They also sell bits and pieces to tidy it all up. Listed on ebay supplied cut to size. I'd guess it could be used on a pitched roof too.

Fibreglass shingles. They stick to the boarding underneath / nailed and are reckoned to last longer than felt. They need some roof pitch to work. Data should tell you how much.

Ordinary roofing felt. If it's going to last it isn't cheap. Some people use 2 layers of torch on.

John
-
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/01/15 12:25, puffernutter wrote:
I have a carport, currently covered in felt (that is leaking). I am considering three options:

1. Remove and replace the felt (cheapest, but shortest life)
2. remove felt and replace with EPDM (expensive and needs to be put down properly to achieve the best watertight finish).
3. Remove the felt and Use corrugated steel sheets on the OSB; or
4. Remove the felt and the OSB and used corrugated steel sheets on the timber roofing framework(issues with condensation)

What are the views of the readers of UK DIY as to the best option?

Cheers

Peter

I have recently done three substantial dormers with EPDM - DIY. You may
have to overboard the roof(9mm external ply?) as I believe EPDM does not
like bitumen (if used on the original felt). But installation is simple
if you follow guidelines (loads on Youtube). I used Permaroof for supplies.

Paul R
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Jan 2015 04:25:05 -0800 (PST), puffernutter
wrote:

What are the views of the readers of UK DIY as to the best option?

I presume this is a flat roof? If so, fibreglass.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/01/2015 12:25, puffernutter wrote:
I have a carport, currently covered in felt (that is leaking). I am considering three options:

1. Remove and replace the felt (cheapest, but shortest life)
2. remove felt and replace with EPDM (expensive and needs to be put down properly to achieve the best watertight finish).
3. Remove the felt and Use corrugated steel sheets on the OSB; or
4. Remove the felt and the OSB and used corrugated steel sheets on the timber roofing framework(issues with condensation)

What are the views of the readers of UK DIY as to the best option?

Cheers

Peter

Torch-on felt

Pricier than nail-on felt but very very good stuff.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

If you can do it with one piece of EDPM then there are no joints to leak.
http://www.permaroofstore.co.uk/

Roofing and shingle options for hail country Kiwanda Home Repair 8 August 26th 10 05:17 PM
When it comes to purchasing professional clothing or work wear formen, there are numerous options that are both attractive and appealing. A manhas needs when it comes to his work wear, just like a woman. Fashion designerstoday often provide options p [email protected] Woodworking 0 April 21st 08 05:45 AM
Conduit Options TheScullster UK diy 12 March 8th 06 10:19 AM
Any Other Options? [email protected] UK diy 0 July 22nd 05 05:42 PM
GCH options adder UK diy 1 October 1st 03 02:02 PM