Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How low can you go?

I was looking for a 4ft T8 fluorescent tube and starter in Homebase today
buy they had sold out of 4ft tubes. So I asked Siri where I could buy light
bulbs and she suggested a place a couple of miles away.

Being a bit impetuous, I just drove around to it without checking any
further. Tube and starter came to £2.

Anyone found them cheaper (when just buying one of each)?

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote

I was looking for a 4ft T8 fluorescent tube and starter in Homebase
today buy they had sold out of 4ft tubes. So I asked Siri where I could
buy light bulbs and she suggested a place a couple of miles away.

Yeah, it and google can be amazingly useful like that.

For store hours too.

Being a bit impetuous, I just drove around to it without
checking any further. Tube and starter came to £2.

Anyone found them cheaper (when just buying one of each)?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, January 9, 2015 at 12:17:16 AM UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
Tim+ wrote

I was looking for a 4ft T8 fluorescent tube and starter in Homebase
today buy they had sold out of 4ft tubes. So I asked Siri where I could
buy light bulbs and she suggested a place a couple of miles away.

Yeah, it and google can be amazingly useful like that.

Correction: "SHE and google" ;-)
I've not got an iphone - is her voice mellow and soothing ?
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote in
:

On Friday, January 9, 2015 at 12:17:16 AM UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
Tim+ wrote

I was looking for a 4ft T8 fluorescent tube and starter in Homebase
today buy they had sold out of 4ft tubes. So I asked Siri where I
could buy light bulbs and she suggested a place a couple of miles
away.

Yeah, it and google can be amazingly useful like that.

Correction: "SHE and google" ;-)
I've not got an iphone - is her voice mellow and soothing ?
Simon.

Google can only be as good as the web sites.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:
On Friday, January 9, 2015 at 12:17:16 AM UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
Tim+ wrote

I was looking for a 4ft T8 fluorescent tube and starter in Homebase
today buy they had sold out of 4ft tubes. So I asked Siri where I could
buy light bulbs and she suggested a place a couple of miles away.

Yeah, it and google can be amazingly useful like that.

Correction: "SHE and google" ;-)
I've not got an iphone - is her voice mellow and soothing ?
Simon.

Indeed it is Simon. Quite the temptress. ;-)

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, January 8, 2015 at 11:33:58 PM UTC, Tim+ wrote:

I was looking for a 4ft T8 fluorescent tube and starter in Homebase today
buy they had sold out of 4ft tubes. So I asked Siri where I could buy light
bulbs and she suggested a place a couple of miles away.

Being a bit impetuous, I just drove around to it without checking any
further. Tube and starter came to £2.

Anyone found them cheaper (when just buying one of each)?

Tim

I have seen them cheaper but the business has since gone bust. And I missed the closing sale
Sounds like someone has siri-ous shopping skills

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Tim+ wrote

I was looking for a 4ft T8 fluorescent tube and starter in Homebase
today buy they had sold out of 4ft tubes. So I asked Siri where I could
buy light bulbs and she suggested a place a couple of miles away.

Yeah, it and google can be amazingly useful like that.

Correction: "SHE and google" ;-)

I've never been into genderising machines.

And you can have a male or female voice anyway.

I've not got an iphone - is her voice mellow and soothing ?

Not mellow or soothing at all. And it can be quite nasty
and schoolmarmish if you start swearing at it too.

Google is even less mellow and soothing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.222...
sm_jamieson wrote in
:

On Friday, January 9, 2015 at 12:17:16 AM UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
Tim+ wrote

I was looking for a 4ft T8 fluorescent tube and starter in Homebase
today buy they had sold out of 4ft tubes. So I asked Siri where I
could buy light bulbs and she suggested a place a couple of miles
away.

Yeah, it and google can be amazingly useful like that.

Correction: "SHE and google" ;-)
I've not got an iphone - is her voice mellow and soothing ?
Simon.

Google can only be as good as the web sites.

Yes, but with the store hours that got snipped from the
quoting, the web sites are generally good enough so
that both Siri and Google can tell you by voice what
you need to know. Google generally will tell you when
it opens if its not already open and when it closes if it
is already open. And you don’t need to say much, just
'Aldi hours' etc, it works out your location itself.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in
:

sm_jamieson wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Tim+ wrote

I was looking for a 4ft T8 fluorescent tube and starter in Homebase
today buy they had sold out of 4ft tubes. So I asked Siri where I
could buy light bulbs and she suggested a place a couple of miles
away.

Yeah, it and google can be amazingly useful like that.

Correction: "SHE and google" ;-)

I've never been into genderising machines.

And you can have a male or female voice anyway.

I've not got an iphone - is her voice mellow and soothing ?

Not mellow or soothing at all. And it can be quite nasty
and schoolmarmish if you start swearing at it too.

Google is even less mellow and soothing.

I like the voice of the Orange (EE) Voicmail Instructions.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/01/2015 09:54, DerbyBorn wrote:
"Rod Speed" wrote in
:

sm_jamieson wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Tim+ wrote

I was looking for a 4ft T8 fluorescent tube and starter in Homebase
today buy they had sold out of 4ft tubes. So I asked Siri where I
could buy light bulbs and she suggested a place a couple of miles
away.

Yeah, it and google can be amazingly useful like that.

Correction: "SHE and google" ;-)

I've never been into genderising machines.

And you can have a male or female voice anyway.

I've not got an iphone - is her voice mellow and soothing ?

Not mellow or soothing at all. And it can be quite nasty
and schoolmarmish if you start swearing at it too.

Google is even less mellow and soothing.

I like the voice of the Orange (EE) Voicmail Instructions.

I saw a film where a bloke fell in love with his operating system

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 10 Jan 2015 09:54:47 +0000, DerbyBorn wrote:

"Rod Speed" wrote in
:

sm_jamieson wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Tim+ wrote

I was looking for a 4ft T8 fluorescent tube and starter in Homebase
today buy they had sold out of 4ft tubes. So I asked Siri where I
could buy light bulbs and she suggested a place a couple of miles
away.

Yeah, it and google can be amazingly useful like that.

Correction: "SHE and google" ;-)

I've never been into genderising machines.

And you can have a male or female voice anyway.

I've not got an iphone - is her voice mellow and soothing ?

Not mellow or soothing at all. And it can be quite nasty and
schoolmarmish if you start swearing at it too.

Google is even less mellow and soothing.

I like the voice of the Orange (EE) Voicmail Instructions.

Orange moved that voice 'down market' a few years ago, didn't they? It
started off as Juliet Stevenson...

wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 10 Jan 2015 09:58:06 +0000, stuart noble wrote:

[...]

Electric Dreams?

wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

On 10/01/2015 13:05, Bob Eager wrote:
[...]

"Her" was a more recent one

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote
Rod Speed wrote
sm_jamieson wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Tim+ wrote

I was looking for a 4ft T8 fluorescent tube and starter
in Homebase today buy they had sold out of 4ft tubes.
So I asked Siri where I could buy light bulbs and she
suggested a place a couple of miles away.

Yeah, it and google can be amazingly useful like that.

Correction: "SHE and google" ;-)

I've never been into genderising machines.

And you can have a male or female voice anyway.

I've not got an iphone - is her voice mellow and soothing ?

Not mellow or soothing at all. And it can be quite nasty
and schoolmarmish if you start swearing at it too.

Google is even less mellow and soothing.

I like the voice of the Orange (EE) Voicmail Instructions.

Its OK, but nothing dramatically different to Siri or Google IMO.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/01/2015 13:14, OG wrote:
[...]

That's the one. Very thought provoking, and a bloody good film actually