Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ron Ron is offline

Default Essentials power shower

I bought a new essentials thermostatic power shower last year which runs
from my HWC.

The old one packed up after 20 years.

I am replacing my boiler with a combi boiler and removing the associated HWC
and tank in the loft.

Rather than replace the new shower with a mains mixer shower can I just
remove the motor brushes so that the motor does not run and use the shower
with mains pressure water?

I presume I will still need to have electricity to the shower to work
whatever allows the water through, some sort of valve?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Ron" writes:
I bought a new essentials thermostatic power shower last year which runs
from my HWC.

The old one packed up after 20 years.

I am replacing my boiler with a combi boiler and removing the associated HWC
and tank in the loft.

Rather than replace the new shower with a mains mixer shower can I just
remove the motor brushes so that the motor does not run and use the shower
with mains pressure water?

I presume I will still need to have electricity to the shower to work
whatever allows the water through, some sort of valve?

Check the max water pressure. People do sometimes leave a pump in the
circuit when upgrading to mains pressure, and sometime later, the
pump bursts, not having been designed to withstand mains pressure.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/01/2015 16:43, Ron wrote:
I bought a new essentials thermostatic power shower last year which runs
from my HWC.

The old one packed up after 20 years.

I am replacing my boiler with a combi boiler and removing the associated
HWC and tank in the loft.

Rather than replace the new shower with a mains mixer shower can I just
remove the motor brushes so that the motor does not run and use the
shower with mains pressure water?

I presume I will still need to have electricity to the shower to work
whatever allows the water through, some sort of valve?

Depending on how it's designed, it may not need power at all when
running at mains pressure. Power showers with separate pumps usually
have a flow switch which detects gravity flow when you open the manual
valve and turns on the pump. Showers with integral pumps usually have a
micro-switch built into the water control knob which turns the pump on
when you turn the water on. Either way it should work ok on mains
pressure if you simply isolate its power supply. The only proviso is
that a non-rotating pump may restrict the flow a bit. You'll need to
suck it and see!

I have a feeling that there are regulations which prohibit boosting a
shower which is directly connected to mains water.
--
Cheers,
Roger