Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ultrasonic cleaner

Father Christmas brought me one of these.
Good fun so far. All the metal watchstraps in the family have been
through it, with loads of muck removed from each one.
Keys - they come out looking like brand new metal.
Knife blades - some spots of corrosion simply vanish.

Any other good suggestions for things to clean?
I will try a bicycle chain when I can pluck up the courage to take
it off (need one of those disposable Ebola suits;-)

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/12/2014 16:17, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Father Christmas brought me one of these.
Good fun so far. All the metal watchstraps in the family have been
through it, with loads of muck removed from each one.
Keys - they come out looking like brand new metal.
Knife blades - some spots of corrosion simply vanish.

Any other good suggestions for things to clean?
I will try a bicycle chain when I can pluck up the courage to take
it off (need one of those disposable Ebola suits;-)

What do you use as solution? I have tried plain water and water with a
dash of washing up liquid in my ?Maplin one and always been a bit
disappointed. I can see that it is creating bubbles (I am familiar with
industrial ones) bui it does not remove dirt or corosion as well as I
expected.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
newshound writes:
On 30/12/2014 16:17, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Father Christmas brought me one of these.
Good fun so far. All the metal watchstraps in the family have been
through it, with loads of muck removed from each one.
Keys - they come out looking like brand new metal.
Knife blades - some spots of corrosion simply vanish.

Any other good suggestions for things to clean?
I will try a bicycle chain when I can pluck up the courage to take
it off (need one of those disposable Ebola suits;-)

What do you use as solution? I have tried plain water and water with a
dash of washing up liquid in my ?Maplin one and always been a bit
disappointed. I can see that it is creating bubbles (I am familiar with
industrial ones) bui it does not remove dirt or corosion as well as I
expected.

You have to use a surfacant (detergent such as washing up liquid),
or the microscopic bubbles don't collapse fast enough to work.
I don't think it should create bubbles you can see - they're much
too small and the whole point is they collapse.

I'm currently using a bottle that was sold for use with it, but by
all accounts I've read, it's not critical and washing up liquid
works fine.

This is the Ultra 7000 - the small one sold my Maplin.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
Father Christmas brought me one of these.
Good fun so far. All the metal watchstraps in the family have been
through it, with loads of muck removed from each one.
Keys - they come out looking like brand new metal.
Knife blades - some spots of corrosion simply vanish.

Any other good suggestions for things to clean?
I will try a bicycle chain when I can pluck up the courage to take
it off (need one of those disposable Ebola suits;-)

--
Andrew Gabriel

I bought mine, again an Ultra 7000 for the sole purpose of
re-invigorating reluctant out-of-date, but original HP printer
cartridges* bought off of eBay. Same as with computers and printers,
since the early days of computer fairs, I've never bought
anything new, and off the shelf, from proper shops.

After a couple of sessions at the maximum time setting in
warm water (to start off with anyway) even the most reluctant
cartridges eventually work o.k. Which is a lot less trouble than
wasting countless ml's of ink doing endless cleaning cycles on
the printer itself.

michael adams

* Pre-chip HP 45, and 78 carts.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 30/12/2014 16:17, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Father Christmas brought me one of these.
Good fun so far. All the metal watchstraps in the family have been
through it, with loads of muck removed from each one.
Keys - they come out looking like brand new metal.
Knife blades - some spots of corrosion simply vanish.

Any other good suggestions for things to clean?
I will try a bicycle chain when I can pluck up the courage to take
it off (need one of those disposable Ebola suits;-)

What do you use as solution? I have tried plain water and water with a
dash of washing up liquid in my ?Maplin one and always been a bit
disappointed. I can see that it is creating bubbles (I am familiar with
industrial ones) bui it does not remove dirt or corosion as well as I
expected.

It works by cavitation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavitation#Cleaning

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"michael adams" wrote in message

[...]

Now that is a good idea/use for them.
I wonder what effect would be had on printed circuits?

I wonder if you could remove the fixed print nozzles and give them a do?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, December 30, 2014 7:00:13 PM UTC, harry wrote:
[...]

If I stuck a piece of mild steel that had been brazed and turned black in a forge in a ultrasonic cleaner, would it come out shiny?
The forge is a gas/air mix.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harryagain" wrote in message

[...]

Makes a lot more sense to use a Canon printer
which has unchipped carts for peanuts from ebay.

I wonder what effect would be had on printed circuits?

I wonder if you could remove the fixed print nozzles and give them a do?

They come out very easily on canon printers.

Haven't noticed anyone suggesting using an ultrasonic
cleaner on them on youtube tho, but then I haven't needed
to clean on either so haven't looked. Just came across a
few much cruder ways of cleaning them when finding
out how to get the covers off when the electronics died.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 30 Dec 2014 16:17:40 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Father Christmas brought me one of these.
Good fun so far. All the metal watchstraps in the family have been
through it, with loads of muck removed from each one.
Keys - they come out looking like brand new metal.
Knife blades - some spots of corrosion simply vanish.

Any other good suggestions for things to clean?
I will try a bicycle chain when I can pluck up the courage to take it
off (need one of those disposable Ebola suits;-)

I clean our specs in ours, although some claim it removes the coating.
OTOH, apparently some coatings just wear too fast anyway!

Also earrings, jewellery chains, etc.

wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, December 30, 2014 4:18:06 PM UTC, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Any other good suggestions for things to clean?

electric toothbrush heads, if you use them.

pop all the keycaps off the computer keyboard

record player stylus, if you use one

all the audio and mains plugs on the hi fi system working back to the main cutout fuseholder

http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/...73596&start=20

note the comments about pearls and turqoise, and not to put anything in the tub itself as it will wear the tub out.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/12/2014 16:17, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Any other good suggestions for things to clean?

A tiny amount of argon in water.

Always fancied a sonoluminescence kit.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob Eager writes:
On Tue, 30 Dec 2014 16:17:40 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Father Christmas brought me one of these.
Good fun so far. All the metal watchstraps in the family have been
through it, with loads of muck removed from each one.
Keys - they come out looking like brand new metal.
Knife blades - some spots of corrosion simply vanish.

Any other good suggestions for things to clean?
I will try a bicycle chain when I can pluck up the courage to take it
off (need one of those disposable Ebola suits;-)

I clean our specs in ours, although some claim it removes the coating.
OTOH, apparently some coatings just wear too fast anyway!

Yes, the instructions say to check with your optician that the
coatings are suitable for ultrasononic cleaning. Also warns that
some plastic frames are too porous and can be damaged.

Also earrings, jewellery chains, etc.

I don't possess a single piece of jewellery - it's just not me!

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:

I clean our specs in ours, although some claim it removes the coating.

I did on one (relatively old) set of mine, I don't recall any noticeable
defects in the coating before starting to use the US cleaner, and I
didn't just chuck them in and leave the lenses bouncing on the bottom of
the 'bowl'.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:

[...]

Or refillable with auto reset chips like mine

I wonder what effect would be had on printed circuits?

I wonder if you could remove the fixed print nozzles and give them a do?

They come out very easily on canon printers.

Haven't noticed anyone suggesting using an ultrasonic
cleaner on them on youtube tho, but then I haven't needed
to clean on either so haven't looked. Just came across a
few much cruder ways of cleaning them when finding
out how to get the covers off when the electronics died.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/12/2014 17:43, michael adams wrote:

I bought mine, again an Ultra 7000 for the sole purpose of
re-invigorating reluctant out-of-date, but original HP printer
cartridges* bought off of eBay. Same as with computers and printers,
since the early days of computer fairs, I've never bought
anything new, and off the shelf, from proper shops.

After a couple of sessions at the maximum time setting in
warm water (to start off with anyway) even the most reluctant
cartridges eventually work o.k. Which is a lot less trouble than
wasting countless ml's of ink doing endless cleaning cycles on
the printer itself.

michael adams

* Pre-chip HP 45, and 78 carts.

That's interesting. I often have the same problem with HP78 (and 23)
cartridges - usually with the yellow refusing to flow - but the black
45's are usually ok. I can often get the 3-colour cartridges going with
the microwave treatment, but I've never thought of the using the
ultrasonic cleaner. Presumably you just use water, with no detergent?
How long do you give it? Presumably you stand them upright so that just
the bottom inch or so is submerged?
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Roger Mills writes:
[...]

I have fixed a few blocked print heads at repair parties by holding
an IPA soaked pad against them for a minute or two, and then trying
to absorb the IPA back out of the heads onto a clean dry paper towel.
Sometimes needs a couple of goes.
(You want to use disposable plastic gloves - it's very messy.)

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 31 Dec 2014 09:11:20 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

On 30/12/2014 16:17, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Father Christmas brought me one of these.
Good fun so far. All the metal watchstraps in the family have been
through it, with loads of muck removed from each one.
Keys - they come out looking like brand new metal.
Knife blades - some spots of corrosion simply vanish.

Any other good suggestions for things to clean?
I will try a bicycle chain when I can pluck up the courage to take it
off (need one of those disposable Ebola suits;-)

Swiss army knife.

What a good idea. I'll try all of mine!

wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

What fluid do they use these days. They used to use CFCs and were hence
banned.
If you are doing other jewellery, watch out as if the setting is very old
stones have been known to come adrift in these things.

As for suggestions of what to clean, steer clear of anything with printing
on it as it will miraculously vanish.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
Father Christmas brought me one of these.
Good fun so far. All the metal watchstraps in the family have been
through it, with loads of muck removed from each one.
Keys - they come out looking like brand new metal.
Knife blades - some spots of corrosion simply vanish.

Any other good suggestions for things to clean?
I will try a bicycle chain when I can pluck up the courage to take
it off (need one of those disposable Ebola suits;-)

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/12/2014 09:16, Bob Eager wrote:
On Wed, 31 Dec 2014 09:11:20 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

On 30/12/2014 16:17, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Father Christmas brought me one of these.
Good fun so far. All the metal watchstraps in the family have been
through it, with loads of muck removed from each one.
Keys - they come out looking like brand new metal.
Knife blades - some spots of corrosion simply vanish.

Any other good suggestions for things to clean?
I will try a bicycle chain when I can pluck up the courage to take it
off (need one of those disposable Ebola suits;-)

Swiss army knife.

What a good idea. I'll try all of mine!

Don't forget the WD40 afterwards :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
What about IPA?
Brian

India Pale Ale? what a waste.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
[...]

Yes just warm water. I'm wary of using detergent although apparently
a surfacent, or whatever, is recommended for some things which apparently
also alters the size of the bubbles

How long do you give it? Presumably you stand them upright so that just the bottom inch
or so is submerged?

From memory the maximum time is 240 seconds - 4 minutes, and two or three
lots of 240 usually does the trick. They may work after only the one -
but its its easier to leave them in for three - renewing the warm
water each time than dry them off and trying them out each time. The water
gets very cloudy as the ink leaks out but weighing them afterwards
on a digital scale shows that hardly any ink is lost certainly as
compared with cleaning cycles on the printer.

They're stood on end with the print head side on the bottom with just
enough water to cover the metal contact plate running along the top.
Afterwards the metal contacts are stroked with the end of a tissue to
dry them off.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

These are HP cartridges where the head is integral with the cartridge.
So I'm led to believe anyway. So that every time you change the cartridge
you get a new head. Sounds too good to be true, but there you go. And is
why I switched to secondhand HP printers on eBay having had loads of
trouble unblocking heads on Epson printers (secondhand eBay as well
natch) which by the end, had turned into a hobby all by itself.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Any other good suggestions for things to clean?

Got an old dried up fountain pen?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater writes:
In article , Andy
Burns wrote:

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Any other good suggestions for things to clean?

Got an old dried up fountain pen?

Yes, my 1967 Parker is permanently dry. I just leave it in some water
overnight. I still have my bottle of Quink from 1967 too.

You made me go and find mine, and somewhat to my surprise, after I
sucked some water up into it, and dabbed the nib with kitchen roll
a few times (and now have a blue thumb and second finger which won't
wash off), it works just fine.

I haven't used it since school, i.e. at least 35 years and probably
longer - I doubt I used it in the last several years at school.
I don't have any ink - it's just using what had dried in the pen and
has now redissolved.

Come to think of it, the blue thumb and second finger reminds me why
I stopped using fountain pens, although my writing was instantly
improved just now when I tested it.

I still remember starting to write at infant school - someone had to
come around all the desks with a jug and fill up the ink wells and
hand out the pens. The child who got the job that week was called the
Ink Monitor.

Ink wells gave way to ink cartridge pens the following year, although
ISTR desks had the ink well hole and grove to rest the pen over it
most of my way through school.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Got an old dried up fountain pen?

I haven't used it since school, i.e. at least 35 years and probably
longer - I doubt I used it in the last several years at school.
I don't have any ink - it's just using what had dried in the pen and
has now redissolved.

bang the nib assembly in the U/S tub and you'll be amazed how much ink
comes out ... took several changes of water to get mine to run clean.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, December 30, 2014 4:18:06 PM UTC, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Any other good suggestions for things to clean?

Wireless doorbell push

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Got an old dried up fountain pen?

I haven't used it since school, i.e. at least 35 years and probably
longer - I doubt I used it in the last several years at school.
I don't have any ink - it's just using what had dried in the pen and
has now redissolved.

bang the nib assembly in the U/S tub and you'll be amazed how much ink
comes out ... took several changes of water to get mine to run clean.

I sometimes wish I could use a fountain pen, however I'm left-handed,
and yes, I know you can get left-handed nibs, but I'm a "pusher", so
the nib ends up gouging into the paper, then my hand gets covered in
ink and it smudges.

Also my hand writing is utter ****e, so not much point even thinking about
it really.

Gordon

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

ISTR desks had the ink well hole and grove to rest the pen over it
most of my way through school.

My Daughters primary school still has one class kitted out with these desks
(it's her class, the kids love it!).

These are the lifting desks, with ink well and groove :-)

Darren

Lidl Ultrasonic Cleaner David UK diy 25 December 7th 14 05:43 PM
ultrasonic cleaner geoff UK diy 16 October 13th 11 09:22 PM
Ultrasonic Cleaner - What solution to use ? woodglass UK diy 9 January 6th 08 08:31 PM
looking to by an ultrasonic cleaner [email protected] Metalworking 11 September 8th 07 03:04 AM
ultrasonic cleaner not working nortonfan Electronics Repair 13 April 18th 06 07:13 PM