Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fitting a register plate

We're installing a woodburner and since I have some steel sheet and angle iron kicking around, I thought I'd try and keep the cost down by installing the register plate myself.

But while the back and sides of the chimney are relatively flat, the front wall (to the left on the pictures below) is an absolute shambles of broken bricks.

http://s23.postimg.org/3sld9488b/IMG...212_144945.jpg
http://s23.postimg.org/kdszorzcb/yim..._446683977.jpg
http://s23.postimg.org/mjnaja2sr/yim...1636914399.jpg

How would you set about fixing to that face? Fix to a couple of high points maybe and fill with mortar? Or is there another/better way?

And how high - or low - is the register plate meant to be fitted? Is there a best practice or is it just whatever's possible/easy?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mike" wrote in message

We're installing a woodburner and since I have some steel sheet and angle
iron kicking around, I thought I'd try and keep the cost down by installing
the register plate myself.

But while the back and sides of the chimney are relatively flat, the front
wall (to the left on the pictures below) is an absolute shambles of broken
bricks.

http://s23.postimg.org/3sld9488b/IMG...212_144945.jpg
http://s23.postimg.org/kdszorzcb/yim..._446683977.jpg
http://s23.postimg.org/mjnaja2sr/yim...1636914399.jpg

How would you set about fixing to that face? Fix to a couple of high
points maybe and fill with mortar? Or is there another/better way?

And how high - or low - is the register plate meant to be fitted? Is there
a best practice or is it just whatever's possible/easy?

Ours are both approximately level with the top of the mantlepiece.

I'd be tempted to try and clean up the course of bricks in the back wall
where you need fixings using an sds hammer chisel then make good with
mortar.

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 12 Dec 2014 08:52:42 -0800 (PST), mike wrote:

How would you set about fixing to that face? Fix to a couple of high
points maybe and fill with mortar? Or is there another/better way?

Fix front edge of registerplate to underside of front bricks with
angle around the side back at the right level?

And how high - or low - is the register plate meant to be fitted? Is
there a best practice or is it just whatever's possible/easy?

Don't think it matters that much it's to support the top of the stove
pipe, hide the transition to liner and catch all the bits of brick
mortar soot etc that will fall down the chimeny over time.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Fri, 12 Dec 2014 08:52:42 -0800 (PST), mike wrote:

How would you set about fixing to that face? Fix to a couple of high
points maybe and fill with mortar? Or is there another/better way?

Fix front edge of registerplate to underside of front bricks with
angle around the side back at the right level?

And how high - or low - is the register plate meant to be fitted? Is
there a best practice or is it just whatever's possible/easy?

Don't think it matters that much it's to support the top of the stove
pipe, hide the transition to liner and catch all the bits of brick
mortar soot etc that will fall down the chimeny over time.

I took some bricks out of the chimney breast. Plenty of room to connect
liner and slop in some fixing mortar.

Put them back after.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/12/2014 16:52, mike wrote:
We're installing a woodburner and since I have some steel sheet and angle iron kicking around, I thought I'd try and keep the cost down by installing the register plate myself.

But while the back and sides of the chimney are relatively flat, the front wall (to the left on the pictures below) is an absolute shambles of broken bricks.

http://s23.postimg.org/3sld9488b/IMG...212_144945.jpg
http://s23.postimg.org/kdszorzcb/yim..._446683977.jpg
http://s23.postimg.org/mjnaja2sr/yim...1636914399.jpg

How would you set about fixing to that face? Fix to a couple of high points maybe and fill with mortar? Or is there another/better way?

And how high - or low - is the register plate meant to be fitted? Is there a best practice or is it just whatever's possible/easy?

When I did mine I simply used an angle grinder to cut a straight
line/face into the very rough internal stonework face.

Certainly wouldn't attempt using an SDS to chisel stone work.

As long as you have the angle on the 2 sides to support the plate the
gaps can be filled with fire cement or whatever. I didn't "fix" it to
the front or back. More than anything it's just to seal up the chimney
hole and support the flue laterally from what I could see.

Oh, I also put a nice curve in my aluminium chequerplate faceplate by
putting it between some bricks and using the "foot former" i.e size 11 boot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/12/2014 23:06, "Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)" wrote:

Oh, I also put a nice curve in my aluminium chequerplate faceplate by
putting it between some bricks and using the "foot former" i.e size 11 boot.

Just found the pictures
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yrvys2ivy...bhF0sz_va?dl=0

or shortened http://tinyurl.com/o3xpyrm

Should give you a good idea.
Hole for the flue was cut by drawing round the flue then jigsawing out
and the disk from that hole was used to act as a backing plate for the
smaller diameter "sweeping" hole simply fixed together with a single
bolt through the centre and a wing-nut going through the clamping strip
that holds the whole lot tight against the register plate (the disk from
the flue cut-out being on the inside of the register plate)

Obviously I didn't feel a flue pipe was required but that's a whole
different discussion.

Pete@

Posted to uk.d-i-y

""Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)"" wrote in message

But while the back and sides of the chimney are relatively flat, the
front wall (to the left on the pictures below) is an absolute shambles of
broken bricks.

Certainly wouldn't attempt using an SDS to chisel stone work.

The OP stated t was broken brick - where did you get the idea it was stone
?????

An SDS non rotating hammer chisel will be fine on brick, and also most
stone, but I might draw the line at trying it on granite.

Andrew

register plate VisionSet UK diy 0 April 11th 07 10:22 PM
Stove Register Plate VisionSet UK diy 6 October 28th 06 04:50 PM
Stove register plate? [email protected] UK diy 11 October 7th 06 01:45 AM
Stove "register plate" Tom W UK diy 6 September 21st 04 07:27 PM
Register Plate Neil UK diy 5 January 16th 04 06:12 PM