Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default In-car camera - anti-vandalism?

HI Folks
Can anybody recommend a reasonably cheap camera/recorder that could be
mounted inside a parked car (well, Partner van, really) and could record
images of somebody interfering with the vehicle?
Haven't got hundreds to spend, but it'd be nice to catch the &*^%& who's
been stabbing my tyres!
Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 10 Dec 2014 16:25:59 +0000, Adrian Brentnall wrote:

Can anybody recommend a reasonably cheap camera/recorder that could be
mounted inside a parked car (well, Partner van, really) and could record
images of somebody interfering with the vehicle?

Er how are you going to mount a camera to see who is outside from the
inside, particulary a van...

Haven't got hundreds to spend, but it'd be nice to catch the &*^%& who's
been stabbing my tyres!

CPC have a £24.75 + VAT dash cam CP06226006. supposed to be HD and 16
hours recording to a 32 GB SD card (not supplied). Also has a 2.5"
screen!

At that price I wouldn't expect much in the way of low light
performance, or much at all TBH but you never know.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Adrian Brentnall
writes
HI Folks
Can anybody recommend a reasonably cheap camera/recorder that could be
mounted inside a parked car (well, Partner van, really) and could
record images of somebody interfering with the vehicle?
Haven't got hundreds to spend, but it'd be nice to catch the &*^%&
who's been stabbing my tyres!
Thanks

I've just bought my second one of these, although I paid 20p more from a
different seller.

http://tinyurl.com/ms6j7vl

Both are working well. The night vision is not much good in the car, and
I think would give nasty window reflections, but they are amazing for
the money. The instructions that come with them are utterly
incomprehensible, and the many features take a lot of guesswork.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adrian Brentnall wrote:
Can anybody recommend a reasonably cheap camera/recorder that could be
mounted inside a parked car (well, Partner van, really) and could record
images of somebody interfering with the vehicle?
Haven't got hundreds to spend, but it'd be nice to catch the &*^%& who's
been stabbing my tyres!

I'd say you'd need several to cover all round the car...

--
*Of course I'm against sin; I'm against anything that I'm too old to enjoy.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill wrote:
In message , Adrian Brentnall
writes
HI Folks
Can anybody recommend a reasonably cheap camera/recorder that could be
mounted inside a parked car (well, Partner van, really) and could
record images of somebody interfering with the vehicle?
Haven't got hundreds to spend, but it'd be nice to catch the &*^%&
who's been stabbing my tyres!
Thanks

I've just bought my second one of these, although I paid 20p more from a
different seller.

http://tinyurl.com/ms6j7vl

Both are working well. The night vision is not much good in the car, and
I think would give nasty window reflections, but they are amazing for
the money. The instructions that come with them are utterly
incomprehensible, and the many features take a lot of guesswork.

I've a couple of these, they work quite well, but the resolution is
pretty poor and you need good street lights for night vision.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

How would you get one camera to do that though, surely you would need them
all round the vehicle somehow disguised.
Its a pity tyres metal innards could not be electrified with 10000 volts so
the stabber gets fried.
Brian

Email:

"Adrian Brentnall" wrote in message
HI Folks
Can anybody recommend a reasonably cheap camera/recorder that could be
mounted inside a parked car (well, Partner van, really) and could record
images of somebody interfering with the vehicle?
Haven't got hundreds to spend, but it'd be nice to catch the &*^%& who's
been stabbing my tyres!
Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Adrian Brentnall wrote:
Can anybody recommend a reasonably cheap camera/recorder that could be
mounted inside a parked car (well, Partner van, really) and could record
images of somebody interfering with the vehicle?
Haven't got hundreds to spend, but it'd be nice to catch the &*^%& who's
been stabbing my tyres!

I'd say you'd need several to cover all round the car...

Not really, just point it at where the tires can be stabbed
without being too obvious should catch him.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/12/2014 17:01, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 10 Dec 2014 16:25:59 +0000, Adrian Brentnall wrote:

Can anybody recommend a reasonably cheap camera/recorder that could be
mounted inside a parked car (well, Partner van, really) and could record
images of somebody interfering with the vehicle?

Er how are you going to mount a camera to see who is outside from the
inside, particulary a van...

It's a smallish car-based van - was planning on having the camers look
through a side-window ?

Haven't got hundreds to spend, but it'd be nice to catch the &*^%& who's
been stabbing my tyres!

CPC have a £24.75 + VAT dash cam CP06226006. supposed to be HD and 16
hours recording to a 32 GB SD card (not supplied). Also has a 2.5"
screen!

At that price I wouldn't expect much in the way of low light
performance, or much at all TBH but you never know.

That sounds promising - 8 hours recording would be fine - as the problem
is occuring while the van's parked during my working day
Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/12/2014 17:05, Bill wrote:
In message , Adrian Brentnall
writes
HI Folks
Can anybody recommend a reasonably cheap camera/recorder that could be
mounted inside a parked car (well, Partner van, really) and could
record images of somebody interfering with the vehicle?
Haven't got hundreds to spend, but it'd be nice to catch the &*^%&
who's been stabbing my tyres!
Thanks

I've just bought my second one of these, although I paid 20p more from a
different seller.

http://tinyurl.com/ms6j7vl

Both are working well. The night vision is not much good in the car, and
I think would give nasty window reflections, but they are amazing for
the money. The instructions that come with them are utterly
incomprehensible, and the many features take a lot of guesswork.

As I read it - it only works while the car's in motion -
it's the opposite of that I need (damage is happening while the van's
parked up...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/12/2014 19:46, Brian Gaff wrote:
How would you get one camera to do that though, surely you would need them
all round the vehicle somehow disguised.
Its a pity tyres metal innards could not be electrified with 10000 volts so
the stabber gets fried.
Brian

Yes - tempting!

Sadly the Garda won;t let me/us take 'defensive' measures -
as there's something else getting damaged that could so easily be
attached to the 'hot' end of a cattle fencer..

Apparently that's not allowed....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/12/2014 19:46, Brian Gaff wrote:
How would you get one camera to do that though, surely you would need them
all round the vehicle somehow disguised.
Its a pity tyres metal innards could not be electrified with 10000 volts so
the stabber gets fried.
Brian

Taser should do it. Interesting DIY project. For that matter on a petrol
vehicle you've already got a system capable of generating 30 kV. But
perhaps the tyres are too conductive owing to the large amounts of
carbon black filler.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/12/2014 17:05, Bill wrote:
[...]

But it works that out by using the power line
to indicate when its got the engine running.

It wouldn’t be hard to wire it so it thinks the
engine is running when it isnt.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian Brentnall wrote:
On 10/12/2014 17:05, Bill wrote:
[...]

Provided there is a 12V supply my units can be configured for constant
recording in up to 15 minute consecutive files or the same size file
with motion sensing. The units record to internal memory all the time
they are powered and only when an event occurs, if set to the motion
sensing mode, is the data before and after the event sent to the 32G
card. In daylight or decent street lights, results can be quite good.
The internal battery is only good for a few minutes if no 12V.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Adrian Brentnall
writes
On 10/12/2014 17:01, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 10 Dec 2014 16:25:59 +0000, Adrian Brentnall wrote:

Can anybody recommend a reasonably cheap camera/recorder that could be
mounted inside a parked car (well, Partner van, really) and could record
images of somebody interfering with the vehicle?

Er how are you going to mount a camera to see who is outside from the
inside, particulary a van...

It's a smallish car-based van - was planning on having the camers look
through a side-window ?

An infuriating situation, my sympathies.

The best spot may be in strange places like hidden in the bumper end
caps facing along the sides of the vehicle or in the door mirror
housings.

It'll require some careful waterproofing of course and probably a wipe
over the lens when leaving the van after parking.

The benefit of these locations is that you will likely get a close-up of
the scrote. Sadly, if this is happening frequently is that you may
capture someone you know.

No cams to suggest I'm afraid, just principles although someone
recommended a PIR triggered cam from TLC not that long ago which would
minimise the recording time and searching through.

--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 10 Dec 2014 20:33:50 +0000, Adrian Brentnall wrote:

It's a smallish car-based van - was planning on having the camers look
through a side-window ?

To prove who is doing your tyres you need to be able to have the
tyres in
shot along with the scroat. The suggestion of bumper caps isn't a bad
one, or perhaps wing mirrors for the rears. CPC has a range of covert
cameras that will be easier to squeeze in but you'd have to have
something else doing the recording.

That sounds promising - 8 hours recording would be fine - as the problem
is occuring while the van's parked during my working day

I was going to suggest putting cameras outside the van looking at
each side but that only works if you have control of the area.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 10 Dec 2014 21:53:53 +0000, Capitol wrote:

Provided there is a 12V supply my units can be configured for constant
recording in up to 15 minute consecutive files or the same size file
with motion sensing.

So the former is a "journey recorder"? ie it dumps n minute long
files to the SDCard until a (configurable?) amount of freespace is
left then it starts deleting the oldest to make space. In this mode
how long is the time gap between consecutive files?

I have a "dash cam" app on my phone which works reasonably well but
does tie up the phone...

In daylight or decent street lights, results can be quite good.

Any chance of short sample video upload somewhere? Or pointer to some
already on the web? Very tempted for a tenner but HTF can it be much
good at that price?

The internal battery is only good for a few minutes if no 12V.

That's a bit of a downside.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

The files are consecutive, no dead space. Sorry, I've never downloaded
the files, only viewed them on TV playback. The Amazon reviews are quite
good, if you ignore the difficulties of setting the damn things up from
the totally crap instructions, which in one case were in Russian when
delivered!

One of mine was this:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/VISION-IN-CA...ion+car+camera

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Wed, 10 Dec 2014 20:33:50 +0000, Adrian Brentnall wrote:

It's a smallish car-based van - was planning on having the camers look
through a side-window ?

To prove who is doing your tyres you need to be able to have the
tyres in shot along with the scroat.

No you don't. All you need to be able to do is show that
no one else went anywhere near the tires in the time that
they got slashed.

The suggestion of bumper caps isn't a bad one, or
perhaps wing mirrors for the rears. CPC has a range
of covert cameras that will be easier to squeeze in but
you'd have to have something else doing the recording.

That sounds promising - 8 hours recording would be fine - as the
problem is occuring while the van's parked during my working day

I was going to suggest putting cameras outside the van looking
at each side but that only works if you have control of the area.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
[...]

I can probably get a short video of my tenner one, but probably not
immediately, owing to pressures of "children" and having to manage all
their projects for them.

It is marvellous for the price. Its real resolution is lower than the
1080p usually quoted, but set down to the real resolution, the pictures
are OK.

My car has an always-on ciggy lighter socket, so mine just loop-records
24/7. I haven't tried the motion-detection. The battery is best thought
of as covering the power needed as it closes down. It's a standard phone
battery.

There are several modes of working and with perseverance and a lot of
searching it is possible to find instructions. The logic involved in the
design (presumably a standard chip) is actually very well-thought out.

The only problem I've had with the one in the car is when SWMBO knocks
the stupidly positioned power socket and bounces the plug, it can crash.
I haven't found a reset button so I have to take it out of the car
mounting to remove the battery for a reset.

As to how they are made for the price, I think I've posted this before
here. These are among the products shown under construction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQAshCi70Yo
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/12/2014 23:52, Rod Speed wrote:

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Wed, 10 Dec 2014 20:33:50 +0000, Adrian Brentnall wrote:

It's a smallish car-based van - was planning on having the camers look
through a side-window ?

To prove who is doing your tyres you need to be able to have the
tyres in shot along with the scroat.

No you don't. All you need to be able to do is show that
no one else went anywhere near the tires in the time that
they got slashed....

Wrong. The Police won't prosecute unless the crime is actually caught in
its entirety on camera.

--
Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Wed, 10 Dec 2014 20:33:50 +0000, Adrian Brentnall wrote:

It's a smallish car-based van - was planning on having the camers look
through a side-window ?

To prove who is doing your tyres you need to be able to have the
tyres in shot along with the scroat.

No you don't. All you need to be able to do is show that
no one else went anywhere near the tires in the time that
they got slashed.

Wodney, you're a prize ******.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bull****.

The Police won't prosecute unless the crime is actually caught in its
entirety on camera.

You don't know that he's even talking about prosecution by the police.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bill
writes
I can probably get a short video of my tenner one, but probably not
immediately, owing to pressures of "children" and having to manage all
their projects for them.

To save me working out how to edit it, this report has some sample
videos
on page 2 onwards

http://users.tpg.com.au/agnet/cam2.html

and I think one of the manuals can be downloaded here

https://www.kogan.com/usermanuals/hd...ideo-recorder/
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/12/2014 22:14, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 10 Dec 2014 20:33:50 +0000, Adrian Brentnall wrote:

It's a smallish car-based van - was planning on having the camers look
through a side-window ?

To prove who is doing your tyres you need to be able to have the
tyres in
shot along with the scroat. The suggestion of bumper caps isn't a bad
one, or perhaps wing mirrors for the rears. CPC has a range of covert
cameras that will be easier to squeeze in but you'd have to have
something else doing the recording.

Indeed. I'd settle for an image of the person I think it is approaching
the van and then leaving the area.
It may not happen again... but I'll be parking in an alternative
location for a few days..

That sounds promising - 8 hours recording would be fine - as the problem
is occuring while the van's parked during my working day

I was going to suggest putting cameras outside the van looking at
each side but that only works if you have control of the area.

No - public (open-air) car park, I'm afraid.
Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian Brentnall" wrote in message
On 10/12/2014 19:46, Brian Gaff wrote:
How would you get one camera to do that though, surely you would need
them
all round the vehicle somehow disguised.
Its a pity tyres metal innards could not be electrified with 10000
volts so
the stabber gets fried.
Brian

Yes - tempting!

Sadly the Garda won;t let me/us take 'defensive' measures -
as there's something else getting damaged that could so easily be attached
to the 'hot' end of a cattle fencer..

Apparently that's not allowed....

Fill the tyres with a knock out gas? you'll find the scrote laying by the
side of the van after he's stabbed the 2nd one

Or even better, some sort of gas that ignites when in the presence of air,
if such a gas exists.... the tyre would need filling with the gas and a mix
of Co2,
yes i know it's not allowed, but sure would be nice to be able to identify
the scrote every time you see him in town due to his missing
eyebrows/hair/face

Or you could make up a 'silent' alarm to alert you he is in the process of
stabbing the tyres and get out there and kick the **** out of him before
he's done the last one...

Wireless doorbell, block of wood, doorbells push button mounted on a block
of wood so it sits under the van and the button is about half an inch from
the bottom of the floor pan, might have to tape/glue a marble or something
to the switch if it's the usual slightly recessed rubber push button,
anything so the switch can be activated easilly just by the van lowering
onto it.
you have the receiver in a socket by your bed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/12/2014 14:18, Gazz wrote:

[...]

Some great creative ideas there! grin

I know exactly who's responsible as it's part of an ongoing saga of
sillyness, it's just a matter of getting some proof.. The van was
parked in a public car park about 500yds away from where I work - sadly
no cctv in the car park..

Tempting though the various forms of reprisal are, the Garda would take
a dim view of any direct reaction, so we have to keep it legal... (shame!)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 11 Dec 2014 00:19:26 +0000, "Nightjar \"cpb\"@" "insert my
surname here wrote:

Wrong. The Police won't prosecute unless the crime is actually caught in
its entirety on camera.

It's the Garda - they'll fob it off as a "civil matter" and go back to
eating their breakfast rolls.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/12/2014 16:59, Adrian Brentnall wrote:

Some great creative ideas there! grin

I know exactly who's responsible as it's part of an ongoing saga of
sillyness, it's just a matter of getting some proof.. The van was
parked in a public car park about 500yds away from where I work - sadly
no cctv in the car park..

Tempting though the various forms of reprisal are, the Garda would take
a dim view of any direct reaction, so we have to keep it legal... (shame!)

I suppose another option might be to get someone else to park another
car using a standard "windscreen" camera where it had a view of one side
of your car. You would have to frig a power supply of course.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
JTM JTM is offline

In article ,
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
On Thu, 11 Dec 2014 00:19:26 +0000, "Nightjar \"cpb\"@"
"insert my surname here wrote:

Wrong. The Police won't prosecute unless the crime is
actually caught in its entirety on camera.

It's the Garda - they'll fob it off as a "civil matter"
and go back to eating their breakfast rolls.

However, I know some of them who have some very 'creative'
ideas. (as long as you don't get caught)

John

--
John Mulrooney

The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/12/2014 11:28, JTM wrote:
In article ,
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
On Thu, 11 Dec 2014 00:19:26 +0000, "Nightjar \"cpb\"@"
"insert my surname here wrote:

Wrong. The Police won't prosecute unless the crime is
actually caught in its entirety on camera.

It's the Garda - they'll fob it off as a "civil matter"
and go back to eating their breakfast rolls.

However, I know some of them who have some very 'creative'
ideas. (as long as you don't get caught)

John

Actually, Grimley, they're being very helpful in this instance.
It's a long & involved story, which is still going on, but they're done
a lot to try & stop this person, who is a persistent offender.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/12/2014 18:01, Adrian Brentnall wrote:
On 12/12/2014 11:28, JTM wrote:
In article ,
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
On Thu, 11 Dec 2014 00:19:26 +0000, "Nightjar \"cpb\"@"
"insert my surname here wrote:

Wrong. The Police won't prosecute unless the crime is
actually caught in its entirety on camera.

It's the Garda - they'll fob it off as a "civil matter"
and go back to eating their breakfast rolls.

However, I know some of them who have some very 'creative'
ideas. (as long as you don't get caught)

John

Actually, Grimley, they're being very helpful in this instance.
It's a long & involved story, which is still going on, but they're done
a lot to try & stop this person, who is a persistent offender.

Perhaps, if they want to help, they could park an unmarked car with a
video camera watching your van.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/12/2014 19:41, "Nightjar \"cpb\""@ insert my surname here wrote:
On 12/12/2014 18:01, Adrian Brentnall wrote:
On 12/12/2014 11:28, JTM wrote:
In article ,
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
On Thu, 11 Dec 2014 00:19:26 +0000, "Nightjar \"cpb\"@"
"insert my surname here wrote:

Wrong. The Police won't prosecute unless the crime is
actually caught in its entirety on camera.

It's the Garda - they'll fob it off as a "civil matter"
and go back to eating their breakfast rolls.
However, I know some of them who have some very 'creative'
ideas. (as long as you don't get caught)

John

Actually, Grimley, they're being very helpful in this instance.
It's a long & involved story, which is still going on, but they're done
a lot to try & stop this person, who is a persistent offender.

Perhaps, if they want to help, they could park an unmarked car with a
video camera watching your van.

Ha! - that'll be the day.

Seriously - the Garda here (small town in South-West Ireland) have just
the one _marked_ car for use of the entire station. I've had them say
'I'll get down to you later today unless somebody else needs the car'...

Can't see them tying it (or an unmarked one) up in watching my little van...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bill
writes
In message , Bill
writes
I can probably get a short video of my tenner one, but probably not
immediately, owing to pressures of "children" and having to manage all
their projects for them.

To save me working out how to edit it, this report has some sample
videos
on page 2 onwards

http://users.tpg.com.au/agnet/cam2.html

and I think one of the manuals can be downloaded here

https://www.kogan.com/usermanuals/hd...ideo-recorder/

I seem to be making a habit of following up my own posts. :-(

As my usual depressing luck would have it, the day after I posted the
above, the dashcam that has been running 24/7 for almost 3 years
suddenly died.

I retrieved the recently bought new one from the other car (the Disco)
and installed it in the main car. It is working fine, but interestingly,
points in a slightly different vertical direction to show the same
picture. This probably shows that quality control is not quite what it
should be, the lens being set slightly wrongly.

I've now invested another tenner on a third one while I get time to try
to fix the fault or walk to the dustbin. I think the 12 volt car adapter
might have lost its voltage regulation and killed the camera.

For anyone interested, the main chip seems to be an iCatch SPCA 1628

"The SPCA1628A is a low cost digital still camera/camcorder SoC,
which features with a full set of key modules required in a digital
still
camera.
The SoC has embedded with iCatchs high quality image
processing engine, high- speed JPEG CODEC, face detection
hardware engine and a wide range of peripheral interfaces, making
a low cost DSC easy to be realized.

In low cost DV application, SPCA1628A is capable of 720p HD video
recording. SPCA1628A is also capable output 720p video via an
external HDMI transmitter.

FEATURES
DSC image capturing from CMOS sensors up to 12M pixels
Support MJPEG video recording up to 720p@30fps
Supports SDRAM with the density of 16Mb to 512Mb, up to 133Mhz
Support serial flash, MMC, SD and SLC
Up to 27 x GPIO
HDTV 720p output through external HDMI transmitter
USB 2.0 Full/High Speed device function with built-in USB2.0 transceiver
Supports USB Mass Storage Class / Audio Class / Video Class /
Still Image Class
Hardware Face detect and track technology
Support both font-based OSD and graphics-based OSD
High color fidelity images through efficient image processing engines
Support lens shading correction
Support special image effects such as negative, Solaris, binaries,
sepia, black/white
LQFP 176L package in 20x20x1.4mm"
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 11 Dec 2014 07:36:54 +0000, Bill wrote:

To save me working out how to edit it, this report has some sample
videos on page 2 onwards

http://users.tpg.com.au/agnet/cam2.html

Ta, not brilliant but good enough for the price. I'm mainly wanting
it to show the conditions I some times encounter when leaving here
for work in the wee small hours or coming back...

Think I just found one of my Christmas presents. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/12/2014 20:15, newshound wrote:

I suppose another option might be to get someone else to park another
car using a standard "windscreen" camera where it had a view of one side
of your car. You would have to frig a power supply of course.

Best idea yet.