Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Way to manoeuvre wheelchair in tight space

We have a friend who occasionally visits. She uses a powered wheelchair -
she is light but the chair isn't!

We have access to most of the house sorted out - wide gate at back,
portable ramps, etc.

Access to our living room is difficult, although just about possible. It
involves going round a tight corner - too tight for the chair to
manoeuvre. We can do it by lifting and moving, bit by bit, but it's
difficult due to the weight of the thing.

We could modify the corner but that's not a small job.

I wondered if anyone else has had to solve this problem. I was thinking
of the wheel dollies used in car showrooms, but a lot smaller of course.
The area is carpeted so a polished plate might be another possibility -
all that's needed is to be able to move the wheels at right angles to
their normal direction of travel. It's not really feasible to lift the
chair onto anything.

Any ideas? DIY or otherwise. Or I'll have to start sawing away...the
obstruction is wood but probably structural...

wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Any ideas? DIY or otherwise. Or I'll have to start sawing away...the
obstruction is wood but probably structural...

If it's too heavy for furniture movers under the wheels then possibly
laminate sheet: I've on an old piece of Formica which I've used several
times (slippery side down) to slide heavy boxes, washing machines etc
into place .
--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:
The area is carpeted so a polished plate might be another possibility -
all that's needed is to be able to move the wheels at right angles to
their normal direction of travel.

These seem to be what Estates Depts use to shunt furniture around on
both hard or carpet-tiled areas

http://sliderz.co.uk/ProductsList/SLIDERZ-PRODUCTS/0/

You do seem to need to use a jolt to start them sliding and keep the
speed up though ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Can you not go past the door and come in backwards?

There do seem to be little handled trolley things like this in some branches
of Curries when they start to move display machines about, but to be honest,
I think they only work on very tough flooring. maybe a shop fittings company
might know where to get them.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Bob Eager" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/12/2014 15:04, Bob Eager wrote:
[...]

I think I would try a couple of pieces of hardboard with the smooth
sides together as a slider - if it doesn't work it's cost next to nothing.

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Make a turntable to sit in the space when needed?
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

The usual solution for cars with a similar problem is a turntable:

http://www.woehr.de/en/product/items/turntable-505.html

Nothing I can find that would be the right size for a wheelchair, so you
would probably need to make your own. Just remember to provide a locking
device, so that it doesn't turn when you simply step on it.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I'd go for something like four old-fashioned chromed steel hubcaps - you
need low friction, largish surface area and enough strength not to bend
much. You might have to bend or cut a bit so the wheels can roll on and
off easily, but maybe not if the carpet is reasonably thick.

Maybe balti dishes or trays or even http://goo.gl/M2SIYS

Or a ceiling-mounted winch.

Cheers
--
Syd
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:
Can you not go past the door and come in backwards?

There do seem to be little handled trolley things like this in some branches
of Curries when they start to move display machines about, but to be honest,
I think they only work on very tough flooring. maybe a shop fittings company
might know where to get them.
Brian

i wonder if Bryan has hit on the answer? Is the turning capability
better backwards than forwards?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
We have a friend who occasionally visits. She uses a powered wheelchair -
she is light but the chair isn't!

We have access to most of the house sorted out - wide gate at back,
portable ramps, etc.

Access to our living room is difficult, although just about possible. It
involves going round a tight corner - too tight for the chair to
manoeuvre. We can do it by lifting and moving, bit by bit, but it's
difficult due to the weight of the thing.

Hand brake turning?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

You need to get it onto two wheels, like this: http://youtu.be/-q8F2uVjk9s

--
Two cowboys are riding along a trail in the mountains when they suddenly hear tom toms beating very close to them.
"Oh! That doesn't sound good," one says to the other.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, December 10, 2014 3:04:29 PM UTC, Bob Eager wrote:
[...]

The material with the 2nd lowest coefficient of friction is polythene.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nightjar "cpb"@" "insert my surname here wrote in message
news
[...]

Dont need a locking device if you arrange for it
to have a bit more friction than the normal involved.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Buy a manual wheelchair (they are £99 new, but many bereaved people have
an NHS one in the shed) and transfer the lady to that at the front door.
Let her park her powerchair outside or in the hallway. I keep a manual
chair in the car just in case we go somewhere where the powerchair won't
fit. She will probably be used to transferring to a manual chair because
many theatres, etc, keep them for the purpose.
The other advantage is that a manual chair will fold up, so after she's
transferred to the seat at the dining table (or whatever) it can be put
out of the way.
She's probably got a manual chair anyway. She could bring it with her if
she comes by car.
Manual chairs are good for small spaces and tight corners, especially if
you remove the footrests. No harm in letting the legs dangle for a few
moments.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 10 Dec 2014 15:36:40 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:
The area is carpeted so a polished plate might be another possibility -
all that's needed is to be able to move the wheels at right angles to
their normal direction of travel.

These seem to be what Estates Depts use to shunt furniture around on
both hard or carpet-tiled areas

http://sliderz.co.uk/ProductsList/SLIDERZ-PRODUCTS/0/

You do seem to need to use a jolt to start them sliding and keep the
speed up though ...

Looks good...I'll investigate!

wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

-
[...]

The whole area is just too tight unfortunately.

wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 10 Dec 2014 16:04:55 +0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

Can you not go past the door and come in backwards?

I think we tried that and it didn't help. Really not a lot of room!

wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 10 Dec 2014 17:26:40 +0000, Syd Rumpo wrote:

[...]

Another good one to try.

Or a ceiling-mounted winch.

Ceiling changes height...the doorway is an access under the stairs. This
is a weird house.

wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 10 Dec 2014 17:42:31 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

On 10 Dec 2014 15:04:26 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

[...]

When maneuvering heavy furniture over carpet, I've found that four old
table place-mats, ~A4-sized, shiny side down and suitably positioned,
are a great help. Nice and thin for slipping under things.

That's easy to try - thanks.

wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 10 Dec 2014 11:47:16 -0800, meow2222 wrote:

[...]

I am probably going to have that available on the day too!

wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 10 Dec 2014 17:42:27 +0000, Capitol wrote:

Brian Gaff wrote:
Can you not go past the door and come in backwards?

There do seem to be little handled trolley things like this in some
branches of Curries when they start to move display machines about, but
to be honest,
I think they only work on very tough flooring. maybe a shop fittings
company might know where to get them.
Brian

i wonder if Bryan has hit on the answer? Is the turning capability
better backwards than forwards?

Not noticeably. Problem there is that the occupant projects from the
front and feet hit the wall!

wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, December 10, 2014 10:10:33 PM UTC, Bob Eager wrote:
[...]

Polythene against polythene slides wonderfully. Rubble bags do nicely - binbags dont last long.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 10 Dec 2014 16:19:18 -0800, meow2222 wrote:

[...]

I have some very heavy duty polythene - somewhere.
wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/12/2014 01:06, Bob Eager wrote:
[...]

DPC sheet is probably the easiest heavy duty polythene to get hold of
and quite cheap. However, you can also buy it in rigid sheets, if the
idea works. I used to use 1 inch thick polythene as work tops for tables
in a clean room.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y
JTM JTM is offline

In article
,
wrote:
Any ideas? DIY or otherwise. Or I'll have to start
sawing away...the obstruction is wood but probably
structural...

The material with the 2nd lowest coefficient of friction
is polythene.

Hospitals and care homes use (or used to I believe) a heavy
guage plastic sheet to slide patients in/ onto/ from beds
and trolleys.

Or how about two sheets of groundsheet type material -(one
square to park the chair on and slide it along longer second
piece) with shiny sides facing (Perhaps with silicon spray
to reduce friction)

John Mulrooney

I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/12/2014 12:02, JTM wrote:
In article
,

http://www.patslide.com/

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Dec 2014 15:04:26 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

I wondered if anyone else has had to solve this problem. I was thinking
of the wheel dollies used in car showrooms, but a lot smaller of course.
The area is carpeted so a polished plate might be another possibility -
all that's needed is to be able to move the wheels at right angles to
their normal direction of travel. It's not really feasible to lift the
chair onto anything.

An HD Lazy Susan - dead cheap now.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320923935520
450kg capacity, 12" diameter, and easily platformed to allow a chair
to roll on.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 11 Dec 2014 18:41:08 +0000, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

On 10 Dec 2014 15:04:26 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

I wondered if anyone else has had to solve this problem. I was thinking
of the wheel dollies used in car showrooms, but a lot smaller of course.
The area is carpeted so a polished plate might be another possibility -
all that's needed is to be able to move the wheels at right angles to
their normal direction of travel. It's not really feasible to lift the
chair onto anything.

An HD Lazy Susan - dead cheap now.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320923935520 450kg capacity, 12" diameter, and
easily platformed to allow a chair to roll on.

I've had a look, and if the turntable is made round the chair won't get
all four wheels on. If I make it bigger, there's no room to rotate. Just
a bit more space and that would be a good solution!

wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 11 Dec 2014 16:20:02 +0000, Nightjar \"cpb\"@ wrote:

On 11/12/2014 12:02, JTM wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
Any ideas? DIY or otherwise. Or I'll have to start sawing away...the
obstruction is wood but probably structural...

The material with the 2nd lowest coefficient of friction is polythene.

Hospitals and care homes use (or used to I believe) a heavy guage
plastic sheet to slide patients in/ onto/ from beds and trolleys...

http://www.patslide.com/

Thanks. That looks a similar material to the stuff used in the Sliderz
mentioned earlier.

I've decided to order some small Sliderz and try them out. We'll need
these in two weeks' time for a Christmas party!

wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/12/2014 21:10, Bob Eager wrote:
On Thu, 11 Dec 2014 18:41:08 +0000, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

On 10 Dec 2014 15:04:26 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

I wondered if anyone else has had to solve this problem. I was thinking
of the wheel dollies used in car showrooms, but a lot smaller of course.
The area is carpeted so a polished plate might be another possibility -
all that's needed is to be able to move the wheels at right angles to
their normal direction of travel. It's not really feasible to lift the
chair onto anything.

An HD Lazy Susan - dead cheap now.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320923935520 450kg capacity, 12" diameter, and
easily platformed to allow a chair to roll on.

I've had a look, and if the turntable is made round the chair won't get
all four wheels on. If I make it bigger, there's no room to rotate. Just
a bit more space and that would be a good solution!

The turntable does not have to be round. It only needs to be rectangular
and of a size to take all four wheels. You may not even need to turn the
wheelchair a full 90 degrees for it to be able to get around the corner.

Alternatively, a rectangular tray the wheelchair can be driven onto with
large castor wheels fitted, rather like a car crawling dolly, would
allow you to manoeuvre it around as you like.

--
Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Nightjar
"cpb"@ "insert my surname here@?.? writes
[...]

A quick, improvised method might be to drive each wheel on to a glossy
magazine.
--
Chris Holford
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 12 Dec 2014 09:32:24 +0000, Nightjar \"cpb\"@ wrote:

[...]

I should have said 'if I make it rectangular' rather than 'if I make it
bigger'. The corners would foul other stuff!

wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/12/2014 23:41, Bob Eager wrote:
I should have said 'if I make it rectangular' rather than 'if I make it
bigger'. The corners would foul other stuff!

It sounds like moving house is going to be the simplest solution.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:

I should have said 'if I make it rectangular' rather than 'if I make it
bigger'. The corners would foul other stuff!

Just so that we can get our heads round the space limitations,
are you saying that, even if you had a device capable of rotating
the whole chair about a pivot point, in doing so it would foul
some structure?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 13 Dec 2014 10:55:42 +0000, Nightjar \"cpb\"@ wrote:

On 12/12/2014 23:41, Bob Eager wrote:
I should have said 'if I make it rectangular' rather than 'if I make it
bigger'. The corners would foul other stuff!

It sounds like moving house is going to be the simplest solution.

There is a way of removing one of the corners but I'd rather not.

I'll see how the Sliderz go. Turns out theer are a couple of the big ones
at work so I took a look. I've ordered a set of four small ones.

wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Nightjar
\"cpb\"@" "insert my surname writes
On 12/12/2014 23:41, Bob Eager wrote:
I should have said 'if I make it rectangular' rather than 'if I make it
bigger'. The corners would foul other stuff!

It sounds like moving house is going to be the simplest solution.

I take it you have tried reversing? Last time I sat waiting in a
Waitrose *minimal spacing* car park, I was impressed by the ladies
backing their Chelsea tractors into impossible slots!

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
Bob Eager wrote:

I should have said 'if I make it rectangular' rather than 'if I make it
bigger'. The corners would foul other stuff!

Just so that we can get our heads round the space limitations,
are you saying that, even if you had a device capable of rotating
the whole chair about a pivot point, in doing so it would foul
some structure?

Sounds unlikely given that he did say that if there
is no one in the chair, its possible to lift the chair
with a couple of people and get it into the room.

The problem is that its too heavy for that to be convenient.

Cant help feeling that what they actually need is
a much smaller manual chair that they keep in
the house and the individual moves into when they
are in that house and leaves the fancy electric chair
in part of the house that it can get into.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 13 Dec 2014 12:45:19 +0000, Chris J Dixon wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:

I should have said 'if I make it rectangular' rather than 'if I make it
bigger'. The corners would foul other stuff!

Just so that we can get our heads round the space limitations, are you
saying that, even if you had a device capable of rotating the whole
chair about a pivot point, in doing so it would foul some structure?

Yes. It has to be a sort of incremental manoeuvre, I think. We;ve done it
in the past by driving round the corner as far as possible, then lifting
the back round a bit, then going backwards a bit, then forwards on full
lock, then lifting the back round....

wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:

I should have said 'if I make it rectangular' rather than 'if I make it
bigger'. The corners would foul other stuff!

Just so that we can get our heads round the space limitations, are you
saying that, even if you had a device capable of rotating the whole
chair about a pivot point, in doing so it would foul some structure?

Yes. It has to be a sort of incremental manoeuvre, I think. We;ve done it
in the past by driving round the corner as far as possible, then lifting
the back round a bit, then going backwards a bit, then forwards on full
lock, then lifting the back round....

So why can't you continue to do that, maybe with
something to make the lifting of the back a bit easier ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bob Eager
writes

Bob Eager wrote:

I should have said 'if I make it rectangular' rather than 'if I make it
bigger'. The corners would foul other stuff!

Just so that we can get our heads round the space limitations, are you
saying that, even if you had a device capable of rotating the whole
chair about a pivot point, in doing so it would foul some structure?

Yes. It has to be a sort of incremental manoeuvre, I think. We;ve done it
in the past by driving round the corner as far as possible, then lifting
the back round a bit, then going backwards a bit, then forwards on full
lock, then lifting the back round....

Umm.. try reversing. Once the rear wheels are entered, a bit of shunting
should get the rest through?

--
Tim Lamb