Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Boiler cover - is it worth it and who to get it from?

I got a letter from Corgi HomePlan about boiler cover. The price didn't look too bad but I presume it's just a form of insurance from someone who's bought the Corgi name after they became GasSafe.

I've never had any boiler cover but when it gets cold and friends' boilers go wrong it starts to make me wonder whether it might be a good idea.

I've always hated British Gas since I had them to do a quote for a new boiler and found it was about £2k more than a local gas fitter would charge but I do wonder whether using them for this kind of cover might make some sense.

One of the main advantages might be that with British Gas you maybe get someone round quite quick when you're cold and miserable!

Anyone got any thoughts on this matter?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/12/2014 11:43 am, Murmansk wrote:
I got a letter from Corgi HomePlan about boiler cover. The price
didn't look too bad but I presume it's just a form of insurance from
someone who's bought the Corgi name after they became GasSafe.

I've never had any boiler cover but when it gets cold and friends'
boilers go wrong it starts to make me wonder whether it might be a
good idea.

I've always hated British Gas since I had them to do a quote for a
new boiler and found it was about £2k more than a local gas fitter
would charge but I do wonder whether using them for this kind of
cover might make some sense.

One of the main advantages might be that with British Gas you maybe
get someone round quite quick when you're cold and miserable!

Anyone got any thoughts on this matter?

We've had cover with British Gas for many years and it has always stood
us in good stead. The service has been good and quick. There are many
and various levels of cover with British Gas, so price comparisons are
difficult, but at our level (it includes drains, other plumbing, and
electrics) the Corgi scheme is *much* cheaper. However, careful reading
of the details shows that it doesn't include many features that British
Gas does, and in some cases the missing features are common causes for
call-outs, and often expensive ones too. On balance, we have decided to
stay with British Gas, but if all you want is simple boiler cover, you
might well find Corgi a lot cheaper.

--
Bob
Tetbury, Gloucestershire, England

She was only a whisky maker's daughter, but he loved her still.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Murmansk wrote:

someone who's bought the Corgi name after they became GasSafe.

Not really addressing your point ... corgi didn't become gas safe
register, on the contrary corgi had the function of being the register
of gas fitters removed from them and transferred to Capita,
unfortunately they couldn't be made to transfer the name too, so corgi
is still called corgi.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Murmansk wrote:
One of the main advantages might be that with British Gas you maybe get
someone round quite quick when you're cold and miserable!

Anyone got any thoughts on this matter?

Like any form of insurance, it's never going to be good value for money
for everyone. Some will gain by it, some not. The average will be not,
though, once profit and admin charges are accounted for.

So it comes down to convenience. There's no reason to be cold if your
boiler fails - a couple of fan heaters don't cost much.

You'd need to find out if you have a local plumber who will fix such
things and how long he'd normally take to arrive in an emergency.

And you must have some idea just how often your system breaks down.

--
*Honk if you love peace and quiet*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/12/2014 11:43, Murmansk wrote:
I got a letter from Corgi HomePlan about boiler cover. The price didn't look too bad but I presume it's just a form of insurance from someone who's bought the Corgi name after they became GasSafe.

I've never had any boiler cover but when it gets cold and friends' boilers go wrong it starts to make me wonder whether it might be a good idea.

I've always hated British Gas since I had them to do a quote for a new boiler and found it was about £2k more than a local gas fitter would charge but I do wonder whether using them for this kind of cover might make some sense.

One of the main advantages might be that with British Gas you maybe get someone round quite quick when you're cold and miserable!

Anyone got any thoughts on this matter?

Depends on your DIY skills! Why not ring some of the local boiler
maintenance companies now and see how they respond.
The age and make of your boiler will influence how easy it will be to
repair. You can also suffer from stuck valves etc which are not part of
the boiler itself. I have an oil boiler, when it failed one new year
the local boiler installation/maintenance company gave me a 2nd had
spare part for which I compensated him and was very grateful.

--
Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Murmansk" wrote in message
I got a letter from Corgi HomePlan about boiler cover. The price didn't
look too bad

I got one of these as well and I thought "the price doesn't look bad", until
I read in the small print "introductory offer, first month only price for
following months 4 times that in the headline"

I thought "what a con" and threw it away

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/12/2014 11:43, Murmansk wrote:

I got a letter from Corgi HomePlan about boiler cover. The price
didn't look too bad but I presume it's just a form of insurance from
someone who's bought the Corgi name after they became GasSafe.

CORGI are still corgi, they kept the name. They are just no longer the
body authorised by the secretary of state etc.

I've never had any boiler cover but when it gets cold and friends'
boilers go wrong it starts to make me wonder whether it might be a
good idea.

I've always hated British Gas since I had them to do a quote for a
new boiler and found it was about £2k more than a local gas fitter
would charge but I do wonder whether using them for this kind of
cover might make some sense.

Depends on what you mean by "sense" - will it work out cheaper overall -
unlikely.

(If you call them out often for an unreliable boiler they will just feed
you the line that its unrepairable due to excuse of the week, and
quote you well over the top for a new one).

It might be worth the peace of mind that you can get it fixed fairly
quickly with less hassle than ringing round local plumbers.

One of the main advantages might be that with British Gas you maybe
get someone round quite quick when you're cold and miserable!

Anyone got any thoughts on this matter?

How much was the corgi cover?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Murmansk" wrote in message
I got a letter from Corgi HomePlan about boiler cover. The price didn't look
too bad but I presume it's just a form of insurance from someone who's
bought the Corgi name after they became GasSafe.

I've never had any boiler cover but when it gets cold and friends' boilers
go wrong it starts to make me wonder whether it might be a good idea.

I've always hated British Gas since I had them to do a quote for a new
boiler and found it was about £2k more than a local gas fitter would charge
but I do wonder whether using them for this kind of cover might make some
sense.

One of the main advantages might be that with British Gas you maybe get
someone round quite quick when you're cold and miserable!

Anyone got any thoughts on this matter?

We have British Gas cover. Mrs Pounder overruled me on this issue.
They are not cheap but their response time is excellent.
I did look around for other cover, the terms and conditions / what we will
do/what we won't do were not very clear.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/12/2014 11:43, Murmansk wrote:

One of the main advantages might be that with British Gas you maybe get someone round quite quick when you're cold and miserable!

My 85 year old mother has a plan with EON. When she phoned up a few
weeks back to call them out because the heating had failed they claimed
that they had no 'engineers' available for next 7 days!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, December 6, 2014 11:43:27 AM UTC, Murmansk wrote:
I got a letter from Corgi HomePlan about boiler cover. The price didn't look too bad but I presume it's just a form of insurance from someone who's bought the Corgi name after they became GasSafe.

I've never had any boiler cover but when it gets cold and friends' boilers go wrong it starts to make me wonder whether it might be a good idea.

I've always hated British Gas since I had them to do a quote for a new boiler and found it was about £2k more than a local gas fitter would charge but I do wonder whether using them for this kind of cover might make some sense.

One of the main advantages might be that with British Gas you maybe get someone round quite quick when you're cold and miserable!

Anyone got any thoughts on this matter?

Such things are almost never worthwhile. Work out what you'll pay for it over the lifetime of your boiler.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
[...]

Tell Mrs Pounder that.
I tried and failed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/12/2014 14:28, wrote:
[...]

Depends what price you put on things like convenience and peace of mind.
I really can't be bothered ringing round white van men and hoping I get
a good one.
I have the "emergency" add-on to my normal home insurance. The boiler
must have been serviced in the last 3 years, but no other gotchas that
I'm aware of.
Worth bearing in mind that spares are often ridiculously expensive,
which makes the £200 call out/fix anything deal from the manufacturers
worth considering
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Murmansk writes:
I got a letter from Corgi HomePlan about boiler cover. The price didn't look too bad but I presume it's just a form of insurance from someone who's bought the Corgi name after they became GasSafe.
I've never had any boiler cover but when it gets cold and friends' boilers go wrong it starts to make me wonder whether it might be a good idea.
I've always hated British Gas since I had them to do a quote for a new boiler and found it was about £2k more than a local gas fitter would charge but I do wonder whether using them for this kind of cover might make some sense.
One of the main advantages might be that with British Gas you maybe get someone round quite quick when you're cold and miserable!
Anyone got any thoughts on this matter?

If you are capable of DIY fixing your boiler, one way is to buy another
boiler same as yours which someone is removing, providing you know the
state of it. I did that with my Keston - the spare one is in the loft,
and a source of immediately accessible spare parts should any be needed.
The spare one was condemmed due to a leak from the auto-bleed bottle
valve which had rusted the case, but the rest of it was operating OK.
You should be able to pick one up very cheaply if you keep an eye out
and aren't in a hurry.

Also, even before that, I kept spares of parts I know can fail, such
as the ignitor, and the burner gasket (which can never be reused if
you need to take the burner off the top of the heat exchanger), and
the internal flexable flue pipe.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Murmansk was thinking very hard :
Anyone got any thoughts on this matter?

My thoughts are the same as with any such scheme, put the money you
would have paid into such a scheme, into the bank and earn interest on
it. Unless you are very unlucky, it will more than pay for such repairs
over the years and the rest is your profit rather than theirs.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Murmansk wrote:
One of the main advantages might be that with British Gas you maybe get
someone round quite quick when you're cold and miserable!

Anyone got any thoughts on this matter?

Like any form of insurance, it's never going to be good value for money
for everyone. Some will gain by it, some not. The average will be not,
though, once profit and admin charges are accounted for.

So it comes down to convenience. There's no reason to be cold if your
boiler fails - a couple of fan heaters don't cost much.

Indeed.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Murmansk" wrote in message
I got a letter from Corgi HomePlan about boiler cover. The price didn't look
too bad but I presume it's just a form of insurance from someone who's
bought the Corgi name after they became GasSafe.

I've never had any boiler cover but when it gets cold and friends' boilers
go wrong it starts to make me wonder whether it might be a good idea.

I've always hated British Gas since I had them to do a quote for a new
boiler and found it was about £2k more than a local gas fitter would charge
but I do wonder whether using them for this kind of cover might make some
sense.

One of the main advantages might be that with British Gas you maybe get
someone round quite quick when you're cold and miserable!

Anyone got any thoughts on this matter?

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=3782901

Mostly negative comments, also the company has been in trouble a few times,
the advertising standards brought a case aginst them for false advertising,
and BG took them to court over copyright infringement....corgi weren't too
pleased about them using their name but they came to a 'financial
arrangement'

Personally I wouldn't bother with any of these schemes as I've heard first
hand from unhappy customers that (mainly BG) they simply refuse to repair
any boiler over a few years old, stating that spares aren't available, when
in fact they are readily available.
A newish boiler (under 3 years old) is very rarely going to break down and
you'd be wise to put £15 a month into an account and use this for any
breakdowns and ultimately for replacing the boiler.

You say you've never had boiler cover, how many times have you had to get
someone out to fix it? - I'd say never.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Mr Pounder" wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

Grow a pair and show her who is the boss.

Is Mrs Pounder an old boiler that has cost you a lot of money:-)?

Stop messing around and give her a good servicing every week instead of just
the annual service and if it breaks down then slap her and tell her to stop
crying.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Pounder wrote
wrote
Murmansk wrote

[...]

You should have picked her more carefully or trained her better.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/12/2014 3:49 pm, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Murmansk was thinking very hard :
Anyone got any thoughts on this matter?

My thoughts are the same as with any such scheme, put the money you
would have paid into such a scheme, into the bank and earn interest on
it. Unless you are very unlucky, it will more than pay for such repairs
over the years and the rest is your profit rather than theirs.

One leaking hot water tank costs over 4 years contributions to replace -
mine got done for nothing. One leaking cylinder valve costs about £80
quid call out fee for a plumber - mine got done for nothing. Call out
fee for a firm to come out and clear a blocked drain pipe is of the same
order - my three call-outs cost nothing. Service engineer to turn out
and check the boiler and the whole system once a year, clean the filter,
make sure all is safe - no charge - huge fee if you have to pay. All
these done the same day or the next.

Interest on money in bank at current rates - too little to bother
calculating.

It's a no-brainer unless you're a qualified gas engineer and plumber and
have time on your hands.

--
Bob
Tetbury, Gloucestershire, England

The cardiologist's diet: If it tastes good, spit it out.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote
Murmansk wrote

Anyone got any thoughts on this matter?

My thoughts are the same as with any such scheme,
put the money you would have paid into such a
scheme, into the bank and earn interest on it.

The money I would spend on it is already in the bank earning interest.

Unless you are very unlucky, it will more than pay for such repairs
over the years and the rest is your profit rather than theirs.

Do you do that with house insurance too ?

I do and with car insurance too, only have is compulsory.

With the latest new car I did insure it for just $100 premium
mainly because we have a lot of illegal immigrants in the
area and I wouldn't have been to impressed if one of them
had written off the new car and had ****ed off out of town etc.

But that very cheap premium appears to be a mistake
and didn't stay that cheap for long and so I didn't bother
to insure it once it was hiked.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/12/2014 16:49, ARW wrote:
and admin charges are accounted for.

So it comes down to convenience. There's no reason to be cold if your
boiler fails - a couple of fan heaters don't cost much.

Indeed.

No they don't, but the lekky to run them costs a (comparative) fortune

currently sat in my study, being warmed by a fan heater, while the boiler
sits on the kitchen wall well and truly fooked

--
Mark
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Henson submitted this idea :
One leaking hot water tank costs over 4 years contributions to replace -
mine got done for nothing. One leaking cylinder valve costs about £80
quid call out fee for a plumber - mine got done for nothing. Call out
fee for a firm to come out and clear a blocked drain pipe is of the same
order - my three call-outs cost nothing. Service engineer to turn out
and check the boiler and the whole system once a year, clean the filter,
make sure all is safe - no charge - huge fee if you have to pay. All
these done the same day or the next.

You were unlucky, generally the make good money on the premium you pay.

All I of those things I would deal with myself, cost minimal and fixed
long before an engineer would arrive and fix it. This is UK.DIY ..

My last such repair cost me £40 for a new PCB around 2 years ago. The
one prior to that £25 for a new actuator, which was in stock about 3.5
years ago. No waiting 24hours, repair under way immediately.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed expressed precisely :
Do you do that with house insurance too ?

I do and with car insurance too, only have is compulsory.

I sort out the car insurance and breakdown. She sorts out the house
insurance. This year I suddenly realised how much she was paying, in
just allowing them to renew. I've told her several times over the
years, to get quotes each time, but....

I set about it and got quotes for the same cover for between 1/6 and
1/4 for the most expensive, of what she had been quoted on the renewal,
so went with one of those on the strict understanding that they do not
attempt to renew next year, without express permission.

I have house insurance, because were the worst to happen, I couldn't
replace it out of my own funds.

I have car insurance, because it is compulsory and because I could not
meet all claims out of my funds. I have breakdown cover, because being
stranded at the side of the road might prove fatal.

I takes the risk on other things...

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
On 06/12/2014 16:49, ARW wrote:
and admin charges are accounted for.

So it comes down to convenience. There's no reason to be cold if your
boiler fails - a couple of fan heaters don't cost much.

Indeed.

No they don't, but the lekky to run them costs a (comparative) fortune

Not if you only use them for a couple of days while the boiler is being
fixed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/12/2014 19:27, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Rod Speed expressed precisely :
Do you do that with house insurance too ?

I do and with car insurance too, only have is compulsory.

I sort out the car insurance and breakdown. She sorts out the house
insurance. This year I suddenly realised how much she was paying, in
just allowing them to renew. I've told her several times over the years,
to get quotes each time, but....

I set about it and got quotes for the same cover for between 1/6 and 1/4
for the most expensive, of what she had been quoted on the renewal, so
went with one of those on the strict understanding that they do not
attempt to renew next year, without express permission.

I have house insurance, because were the worst to happen, I couldn't
replace it out of my own funds.

You have to shop about for that too.
It is nowhere near as expensive as boiler insurance.
Mine covers up to £500k rebuilding, etc. and £50k contents + extra all
risks for the camera, etc for less than £200. Some of them were three
times as much.

I have car insurance, because it is compulsory and because I could not
meet all claims out of my funds. I have breakdown cover, because being
stranded at the side of the road might prove fatal.

I don't have breakdown cover.
I don't see the need, having not had a breakdown in the last million
miles driven.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/12/2014 12:37, tim..... wrote:

"Murmansk" wrote in message
I got a letter from Corgi HomePlan about boiler cover. The price
didn't look too bad

I got one of these as well and I thought "the price doesn't look bad",
until I read in the small print "introductory offer, first month only
price for following months 4 times that in the headline"

I thought "what a con" and threw it away

tim

We had a letter/notification from Corgi about their Homeplan.
They or it said that 'this winter, avoid hassle and save £12.26* every
month'

Below that it said
'Exclusive offer
Sign up now, and we'll save you £12.26* every month over Homeserve - see
the comparison below'
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
Dennis@home wrote:
[...]

I had a "breskdown" when the car was only 9 months old. Faulty sensor.
Previous one was 25 years earlier - caused by a local garage, who done a
service, bodging an electrical connection with a matchstick - which fell
out.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, December 6, 2014 2:47:15 PM UTC, Mr Pounder wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Insurance is only worthwhile for events one can't otherwise cope with financially. When you buy insurance, you pay the cost of repair x the odds of repair, plus the running costs of a large corporation, advertising budget, profit and so on. Its a no-brainer.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 06 Dec 2014 20:58:33 +0000, charles wrote:

In article . com,
Dennis@home wrote:
[...]

SWMBO has had very very few reasons to call the RAC (we've moved to
Autoaid now) out.

The last time was for a car that was a month old. Very very cold on
motorway, and the diesel waxed up. They recovered her back to our local
dealer (5 mins walk away).

For me, it was when I put petrol in the (diesel) car. [hides]
wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dennis@home" wrote in message
web.com...
[...]

I have had a few in the 50+ years I have been driving, but
nowhere near enough to warrant the cost of breakdown cover.

The most recent was a battery failure which appeared
to be an intermittent internal fault in the sense that
even a jumper start didn't necessarily work at times.

The last time that happened I just called my mate a
we used his to get a new battery. Needless to say
when we returned to my car it started fine so I
just swapped the battery for the new one when
I got home and it was fine after that.

One of the garage salers managed to get bogged
in a shortcut dirt road and did have full NRMA cover
so called them but he didn't want risk his getting
bogged there. So he lent us the long snatch strap
and I called that same mate who has a decent 4WD
and we used that to pull it out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Dennis@home wrote:
[...]

Easily done.....................

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/12/2014 20:56, BobH wrote:

Sign up now, and we'll save you £12.26* every month over Homeserve - see
the comparison below'

So are they are going to pay you? The Homeserve web site says their top
service plan is £9.50/month (For the first year and with a £50 excess)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/12/2014 09:24, ARW wrote:

For me, it was when I put petrol in the (diesel) car. [hides]

Not uncommon
http://www.theaa.com/breakdown-cover/car-breakdown-facts-and-figures.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/12/2014 16:49, ARW wrote:
and admin charges are accounted for.

So it comes down to convenience. There's no reason to be cold if your
boiler fails - a couple of fan heaters don't cost much.

Indeed.

No they don't, but the lekky to run them costs a (comparative) fortune

Not if you only use them for a couple of days while the boiler is being
fixed.

You ever tried to get a 'heating professional' round at this time of
year, in 'just a couple of days' ?

--
Mark
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/12/2014 16:49, ARW wrote:
and admin charges are accounted for.

So it comes down to convenience. There's no reason to be cold if your
boiler fails - a couple of fan heaters don't cost much.

Indeed.

No they don't, but the lekky to run them costs a (comparative) fortune

Not if you only use them for a couple of days while the boiler is being
fixed.

You ever tried to get a 'heating professional' round at this time of year,
in 'just a couple of days' ?

Even if it's a week, its not going to cost as much as the monthly insurance.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
CB CB is offline

On 06/12/2014 18:36, Bob Henson wrote:
[...]

But for every one that falls into your group there are a number (greater
than one) who fall into a group who pay regularly and never need to
claim and end up mightily out of pocket, thus paying for all of your
repairs, the company admin costs and profit.

Which group does the OP fall into?

Does he feel lucky?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/12/2014 11:22, Rod Speed wrote:

No they don't, but the lekky to run them costs a (comparative) fortune

Not if you only use them for a couple of days while the boiler is being
fixed.

You ever tried to get a 'heating professional' round at this time of
year, in 'just a couple of days' ?

Even if it's a week, its not going to cost as much as the monthly
insurance.

I'll let you know, but yes, point accepted ! However yesterday we
consumed 88kWh of lekky.

Fortunately today is substantially milder than yesterday

I was actually planning a big CH revamp in the Spring, replacing
the 30 year old system, new boiler, tank, rads etc. I really should have
done it last Spring !!

However last week the boiler conked out, I've managed to bring forward
the new boiler installation to the middle of this week.

--
Mark
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/12/2014 10:08, alan_m wrote:
On 06/12/2014 20:56, BobH wrote:

Sign up now, and we'll save you £12.26* every month over Homeserve - see
the comparison below'

So are they are going to pay you? The Homeserve web site says their top
service plan is £9.50/month (For the first year and with a £50 excess)

Later read the Exclusions etc and yes it is a £50 excess to pay. I have
binned the letter now, and so won't be contacting them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil L" wrote in message

"Murmansk" wrote in message
[...]

and, of course, if you are going to get it serviced, remember to do it in
the summer, not wait until November

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

So the amount you spend running the fan heaters is
only a small part of the cost of the new system and
much less than a year's insurance would have cost.

Worth it to shut off pilot on steam boiler? Mikepier Home Repair 1 May 21st 10 05:02 PM
Buildings & Contents Insurance - accidental damage cover - worth it? Mark[_30_] UK diy 1 July 28th 09 09:42 AM
Worcester R30HE Boiler - is a warranty worth it? Simon Hawthorne[_2_] UK diy 8 June 13th 08 02:33 PM
Run boiler -cover off Yvonne UK diy 11 November 17th 07 11:15 PM
Is it worth replacing CH boiler for more economical model...? Nige UK diy 14 October 27th 05 05:41 PM