Posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y

Default Tyre shoes?

I was wondering, why don't they make shoes with soles out of the same rubber as car tyres? Then they wouldn't wear out so damn quickly. There seem to be a few "eco-friendly" companies doing it, but very expensively, and not very well.

--
What did the elephant say to the naked man?
How do you pick up anything with that?
Posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message news
I was wondering, why don't they make shoes with soles out of the same rubber as car
tyres? Then they wouldn't wear out so damn quickly.

ISTR they actually do that in some parts of the world. From old tyres
anyway.

They may have featured at some point as an ethnic third world fashion
item

But from a manufacturers point of view, they'd be cutting their
own throats making anything too long lasting.

And anything that does last too long is instead usually made subject
to fashion, or constant upgrading etc.

But there's nothing to stop you getting some old tyres and cutting out
your own stick-a soles. Or rather stitch-a- soles. The tread should be
deep enough that you could drill holes in the furrows through which you
could sew them on through the existing soles on your shoes.
The threading inside the shoe would be under the insole and so
not too uncomfortable.

A car tyre would probably provide enough soles for about ten pairs of
shoes, but as you won't be wearing them out so quickly, you might
want share your tyre with family and friends or with your neighbours

michael adams

Posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 05 Dec 2014 00:11:41 -0000, michael adams wrote:

[...]

There are some flipflops on Ebay for £8 (same price as regular ones of the same quality) with tyre soles. But the underside looks flimsy - there's threading exposed that looks like it would get damaged. I don't think I'm skilled enough to attach my own sole.

--
Heard on a public transportation vehicle while in Orlando:
"When you exit this vehicle, please be sure to lower your head and watch your step."
Posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y

Uncle Peter wrote

I was wondering, why don't they make shoes
with soles out of the same rubber as car tyres?

Because the rubber they use works a lot better.

Then they wouldn't wear out so damn quickly.

Mine don't. I haven't had any of them wear out
and I use them for walk in for exercise so they
to get a lot of use.

The third world did used to make what we call
thongs and you lot call flip flops from old car
tires. Dunno if they do that much anymore
now that they are so cheap from china.

There seem to be a few "eco-friendly" companies
doing it, but very expensively, and not very well.

Not for shoes.
Posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 04 Dec 2014 22:47:09 -0000, Uncle Peter wrote:

I was wondering, why don't they make shoes with soles out of the same rubber as car tyres? Then they wouldn't wear out so damn quickly. There seem to be a few "eco-friendly" companies doing it, but very expensively, and not very well.

Been thinking of trying it for a few years. Bought a pair of Scarpa boots
and found that they wore out like dry F1 tyres and grippes like '60s
Japanese motorbike tyres (Zen and the art of horizontal motorcycling).
If car tyres did the same - 1000 miles/set and slid on every wet corner...!

I wondered about trimming the cleats off the soles of an old pair of boots
and glueing on some tyre, but I'm not sure if the glue would withstand the
flexing.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y

"PeterC" wrote in message
On Thu, 04 Dec 2014 22:47:09 -0000, Uncle Peter wrote:

I was wondering, why don't they make shoes with soles out of the same
rubber as car tyres? Then they wouldn't wear out so damn quickly. There
seem to be a few "eco-friendly" companies doing it, but very expensively,
and not very well.

Been thinking of trying it for a few years. Bought a pair of Scarpa boots
and found that they wore out like dry F1 tyres and grippes like '60s
Japanese motorbike tyres (Zen and the art of horizontal motorcycling).
If car tyres did the same - 1000 miles/set and slid on every wet
corner...!

I wondered about trimming the cleats off the soles of an old pair of boots
and glueing on some tyre, but I'm not sure if the glue would withstand the
flexing.

Yes it would with the best of the glues.

Posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y

On 04/12/2014 22:47, Uncle Peter wrote:
I was wondering, why don't they make shoes with soles out of the same
rubber as car tyres? Then they wouldn't wear out so damn quickly.
There seem to be a few "eco-friendly" companies doing it, but very
expensively, and not very well.

I seem to remember something on TV way before the internet days.
There was a company doing this very same thing.

ISTR the chap saying that they found tyres from "prestige" cars such as
Jaguar etc were the best.

Posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y

I'd imagine the steel in a car tyre might be a bit of an issue when making
it into soles, as would the curvature!
On an allied note, why don't they make tyres in other colours to black? OK
the tread area would discolour fast, but it might look very nice. I'm not
talking about white wall tyres, which was a passing fad. Another idea might
be to make the rubber a different colour when the tread wears down to an
illegal state or gets damaged.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"michael adams" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y

More trolling from the parrot ****er

Posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y

On 05/12/2014 09:51, Brian Gaff wrote:
I'd imagine the steel in a car tyre might be a bit of an issue when making
it into soles, as would the curvature!
On an allied note, why don't they make tyres in other colours to black? OK
the tread area would discolour fast, but it might look very nice. I'm not
talking about white wall tyres, which was a passing fad.

You can buy red, green, yellow or blue tyres from at least one Chinese
manufacturer.

Another idea might
be to make the rubber a different colour when the tread wears down to an
illegal state or gets damaged.

Google Discolor Tyre.

--
Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y

Yes the dual colour for running out of tread would be good. Although all I do is change them when they burst, fail an MOT, get a puncture and don't look worth repairing, or a roadside check fails one.

And yes, different coloured tyres would be cool, I mean cars aren't all black anymore are they?

On Fri, 05 Dec 2014 09:51:53 -0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

I'd imagine the steel in a car tyre might be a bit of an issue when making
it into soles, as would the curvature!
On an allied note, why don't they make tyres in other colours to black? OK
the tread area would discolour fast, but it might look very nice. I'm not
talking about white wall tyres, which was a passing fad. Another idea might
be to make the rubber a different colour when the tread wears down to an
illegal state or gets damaged.
Brian

--
Attila the Hun died during a bout of rough sex where his partner broke his nose causing a haemorrhage.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, December 5, 2014 9:50:45 PM UTC, Uncle Peter wrote:
On Fri, 05 Dec 2014 09:51:53 -0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

I'd imagine the steel in a car tyre might be a bit of an issue when making
it into soles, as would the curvature!
On an allied note, why don't they make tyres in other colours to black? OK
the tread area would discolour fast, but it might look very nice. I'm not
talking about white wall tyres, which was a passing fad. Another idea might
be to make the rubber a different colour when the tread wears down to an
illegal state or gets damaged.
Brian

Yes the dual colour for running out of tread would be good. Although all I do is change them when they burst, fail an MOT, get a puncture and don't look worth repairing, or a roadside check fails one.

And yes, different coloured tyres would be cool, I mean cars aren't all black anymore are they?

Other colours show up the dirt badly, its why white fell out of favour most of a century ago.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 05 Dec 2014 23:40:35 -0000, wrote:

[...]

I don't have OCD and don't care about dirt.

--
A bleached blonde and a natural blonde were on top of the Empire State Building.
How do you tell them apart?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

You don't get that result with shoes tho.

Posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news
I was wondering, why don't they make shoes with soles out of the same
rubber as car tyres? Then they wouldn't wear out so damn quickly. There
seem to be a few "eco-friendly" companies doing it, but very expensively,
and not very well.

Poor Arabs in places like Morocco~Egypt have been doing it for years.

Posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y

On 04/12/2014 22:47, Uncle Peter wrote:
I was wondering, why don't they make shoes with soles out of the same
rubber as car tyres? Then they wouldn't wear out so damn quickly.
There seem to be a few "eco-friendly" companies doing it, but very
expensively, and not very well.

Because people with latex allergy might suffer.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y

On 04/12/2014 22:47, Uncle Peter wrote:
I was wondering, why don't they make shoes with soles out of the same
rubber as car tyres? Then they wouldn't wear out so damn quickly.

How many months do your soles last?

Posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 06 Dec 2014 17:08:01 -0000, Nick Finnigan wrote:

On 04/12/2014 22:47, Uncle Peter wrote:
I was wondering, why don't they make shoes with soles out of the same
rubber as car tyres? Then they wouldn't wear out so damn quickly.

How many months do your soles last?

Cheap shoes, 1. Expensive shoes, 3.

--
Save the whales. Collect the whole set.
Posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 06 Dec 2014 17:08:01 -0000, Nick Finnigan wrote:

On 04/12/2014 22:47, Uncle Peter wrote:
I was wondering, why don't they make shoes with soles out of the same
rubber as car tyres? Then they wouldn't wear out so damn quickly.

How many months do your soles last?

A hell of a lot less than the mileage I get out of my car tyres.

--
System error 4C: kernel panic

Posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 06 Dec 2014 09:21:59 -0000, polygonum wrote:

On 04/12/2014 22:47, Uncle Peter wrote:
I was wondering, why don't they make shoes with soles out of the same
rubber as car tyres? Then they wouldn't wear out so damn quickly.
There seem to be a few "eco-friendly" companies doing it, but very
expensively, and not very well.

Because people with latex allergy might suffer.

People are allergic to all sorts of things, it doesn't stop us making stuff they can't use, like peanuts.

--
A young girl had not been feeling well and went to her family doctor. "Young lady," the doctor began, "you're pregnant."
"But that can't be. The only men I've been with are nudists, and in our colony we practice sex only with our eyes."
Posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 06 Dec 2014 08:03:56 -0000, harryagain wrote:

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news
I was wondering, why don't they make shoes with soles out of the same
rubber as car tyres? Then they wouldn't wear out so damn quickly. There
seem to be a few "eco-friendly" companies doing it, but very expensively,
and not very well.

Poor Arabs in places like Morocco~Egypt have been doing it for years.

So they get better shoes than us?

--
A young girl had not been feeling well and went to her family doctor. "Young lady," the doctor began, "you're pregnant."
"But that can't be. The only men I've been with are nudists, and in our colony we practice sex only with our eyes."
"Well my dear," said the doctor, "someone in that colony is cockeyed."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

That depends where you go. I've had shoes that were indecipherable as shoes.

--
After pleading no contest to burglarizing Britney Spears's home, four men received three years of probation.
All they had to do was sign an agreement not to reveal what they stole from the house or how many batteries it took.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

That depends where you go.

Nope.

I've had shoes that were indecipherable as shoes.

That is because of the **** you walk in.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, December 6, 2014 9:19:46 PM UTC, Uncle Peter wrote:
On Sat, 06 Dec 2014 17:08:01 -0000, Nick Finnigan wrote:
On 04/12/2014 22:47, Uncle Peter wrote:

I was wondering, why don't they make shoes with soles out of the same
rubber as car tyres? Then they wouldn't wear out so damn quickly.

How many months do your soles last?

A hell of a lot less than the mileage I get out of my car tyres.

I wonder what would it take to get similar mileage from shoes? Gentler cornering? Inflated soles? Springs & shocks?

NT
Posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y

On 06/12/2014 21:19, Uncle Peter wrote:
On Sat, 06 Dec 2014 17:08:01 -0000, Nick Finnigan wrote:

On 04/12/2014 22:47, Uncle Peter wrote:
I was wondering, why don't they make shoes with soles out of the same
rubber as car tyres? Then they wouldn't wear out so damn quickly.

How many months do your soles last?

A hell of a lot less than the mileage I get out of my car tyres.

If we suggest 20,000 miles as usually being achievable by a tyre, that
would work out at a marathon a day for over two years. Do you think that
is a reasonable target for a pair of shoes? Do you actually need that
much life from a sole? I suspect the rest of the show would not last
long enough to find out if the sole could last 20,000 miles.

If longevity is all, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clog_%28British%29

--
Rod
Posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y

On 06/12/2014 21:19, Uncle Peter wrote:
On Sat, 06 Dec 2014 17:08:01 -0000, Nick Finnigan wrote:

On 04/12/2014 22:47, Uncle Peter wrote:
I was wondering, why don't they make shoes with soles out of the same
rubber as car tyres? Then they wouldn't wear out so damn quickly.

How many months do your soles last?

Cheap shoes, 1. Expensive shoes, 3.

Ditto with me.

My left heel tries to tilt inwards (pronation I believe is the correct
term), and I can destroy cheap 'trainers' in about a month.

I always used to buy proper shoes with 'commando' soles and these were
made out of a very hard rubber (?carbon rubber, like care tyres) which
lasted well, supported by heel correctly, and could be replaced.

Clarks stopped selling this type of shoe in 1996 and it's a struggle to
find anything as good for less than £250. For heavy duty use I now get
safety boots from Scats, but for general day-to-day wear, especially in
summer they are too hot and heavy.
Posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y

On 06/12/2014 21:19, Uncle Peter wrote:
On Sat, 06 Dec 2014 17:08:01 -0000, Nick Finnigan wrote:

On 04/12/2014 22:47, Uncle Peter wrote:
I was wondering, why don't they make shoes with soles out of the same
rubber as car tyres? Then they wouldn't wear out so damn quickly.

How many months do your soles last?

Cheap shoes, 1. Expensive shoes, 3.

Even cheap shoes last 10 months for me. What do you do all day?

Posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y

On 06/12/2014 21:19, Uncle Peter wrote:
On Sat, 06 Dec 2014 17:08:01 -0000, Nick Finnigan wrote:

On 04/12/2014 22:47, Uncle Peter wrote:
I was wondering, why don't they make shoes with soles out of the same
rubber as car tyres? Then they wouldn't wear out so damn quickly.

How many months do your soles last?

A hell of a lot less than the mileage I get out of my car tyres.

Aresoles as thick as tyres?

Posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 07 Dec 2014 13:19:06 +0000, Nick Finnigan wrote:

On 06/12/2014 21:19, Uncle Peter wrote:
On Sat, 06 Dec 2014 17:08:01 -0000, Nick Finnigan wrote:

On 04/12/2014 22:47, Uncle Peter wrote:
I was wondering, why don't they make shoes with soles out of the same
rubber as car tyres? Then they wouldn't wear out so damn quickly.

How many months do your soles last?

A hell of a lot less than the mileage I get out of my car tyres.

Aresoles as thick as tyres?

That's no way to talk about Rodders and his Uncle!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 07 Dec 2014 08:55:42 +0000, polygonum wrote:

On 06/12/2014 21:19, Uncle Peter wrote:
On Sat, 06 Dec 2014 17:08:01 -0000, Nick Finnigan wrote:

On 04/12/2014 22:47, Uncle Peter wrote:
I was wondering, why don't they make shoes with soles out of the same
rubber as car tyres? Then they wouldn't wear out so damn quickly.

How many months do your soles last?

A hell of a lot less than the mileage I get out of my car tyres.

If we suggest 20,000 miles as usually being achievable by a tyre, that
would work out at a marathon a day for over two years. Do you think that
is a reasonable target for a pair of shoes? Do you actually need that
much life from a sole? I suspect the rest of the show would not last
long enough to find out if the sole could last 20,000 miles.

My boots were rather worn after 500 or so miles; they're still good for a
similar amount but, on the hills good cleats and heels are needed.
A tyre is OK at about 3mm - boots need 6mm+

--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 07 Dec 2014 08:55:42 -0000, polygonum wrote:

On 06/12/2014 21:19, Uncle Peter wrote:
On Sat, 06 Dec 2014 17:08:01 -0000, Nick Finnigan wrote:

On 04/12/2014 22:47, Uncle Peter wrote:
I was wondering, why don't they make shoes with soles out of the same
rubber as car tyres? Then they wouldn't wear out so damn quickly.

How many months do your soles last?

A hell of a lot less than the mileage I get out of my car tyres.

If we suggest 20,000 miles as usually being achievable by a tyre, that
would work out at a marathon a day for over two years. Do you think that
is a reasonable target for a pair of shoes? Do you actually need that
much life from a sole? I suspect the rest of the show would not last
long enough to find out if the sole could last 20,000 miles.

If longevity is all, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clog_%28British%29

Maybe I don't need as much as 20,000 miles, but if they wear out in under a year, something is clearly wrong, as we can make car tyres last 20,000 miles.

--
Seven wheelchair athletes have been banned from the Paralympics after they tested positive for WD40.
Posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 07 Dec 2014 14:50:50 -0000, PeterC wrote:

[...]

My shoes went from new (10mm) to 0mm in 3 months. This is not acceptable in the 21st century. There is no reason they can't use the same material as car tyres for the soles.

--
Just remember...if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.
Posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 07 Dec 2014 13:19:06 -0000, Nick Finnigan wrote:

On 06/12/2014 21:19, Uncle Peter wrote:
On Sat, 06 Dec 2014 17:08:01 -0000, Nick Finnigan wrote:

On 04/12/2014 22:47, Uncle Peter wrote:
I was wondering, why don't they make shoes with soles out of the same
rubber as car tyres? Then they wouldn't wear out so damn quickly.

How many months do your soles last?

A hell of a lot less than the mileage I get out of my car tyres.

Aresoles as thick as tyres?

Spank me!

--
Hey diddle diddle the cat took a piddle,
All over the bedside clock.

Posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 07 Dec 2014 13:18:25 -0000, Nick Finnigan wrote:

On 06/12/2014 21:19, Uncle Peter wrote:
On Sat, 06 Dec 2014 17:08:01 -0000, Nick Finnigan wrote:

On 04/12/2014 22:47, Uncle Peter wrote:
I was wondering, why don't they make shoes with soles out of the same
rubber as car tyres? Then they wouldn't wear out so damn quickly.

How many months do your soles last?

Cheap shoes, 1. Expensive shoes, 3.

Even cheap shoes last 10 months for me. What do you do all day?

Walk.

--
A patient complained to his doctor, "I've been to three other doctors and none of them agreed with your diagnosis."
The doctor calmly replied, "Just wait until the autopsy, then they'll see that I was right."
Posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 07 Dec 2014 11:33:30 -0000, Andrew wrote:

[...]

Maybe that's the problem, soles as tough as car tyres make shoes too heavy.

--
Two fish are in a tank. One says to the other, "I'll man the guns, you drive".
Posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 04/12/2014 22:47, Uncle Peter wrote:
I was wondering, why don't they make shoes with soles out of the same
rubber as car tyres? Then they wouldn't wear out so damn quickly.

How many months do your soles last?

A hell of a lot less than the mileage I get out of my car tyres.

If we suggest 20,000 miles as usually being achievable by a tyre, that
would work out at a marathon a day for over two years. Do you think that
is a reasonable target for a pair of shoes? Do you actually need that
much life from a sole? I suspect the rest of the show would not last
long enough to find out if the sole could last 20,000 miles.

If longevity is all, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clog_%28British%29

Maybe I don't need as much as 20,000 miles,

No maybe about it, you don't.

but if they wear out in under a year,

Mine don't, and I walk a hell of a lot more than you do.

something is clearly wrong, as we can make car tyres last 20,000 miles.

Most prefer soles on their shoes/boots that arent like car tires.

Posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 04/12/2014 22:47, Uncle Peter wrote:
I was wondering, why don't they make shoes with soles out of the same
rubber as car tyres? Then they wouldn't wear out so damn quickly.

How many months do your soles last?

A hell of a lot less than the mileage I get out of my car tyres.

If we suggest 20,000 miles as usually being achievable by a tyre, that
would work out at a marathon a day for over two years. Do you think that
is a reasonable target for a pair of shoes? Do you actually need that
much life from a sole? I suspect the rest of the show would not last
long enough to find out if the sole could last 20,000 miles.

My boots were rather worn after 500 or so miles; they're still good for a
similar amount but, on the hills good cleats and heels are needed.
A tyre is OK at about 3mm - boots need 6mm+

My shoes went from new (10mm) to 0mm in 3 months.

Then you should have got a more modern car with decent brakes
instead of putting your feet thru the holes in the floor, stupid.

This is not acceptable in the 21st century.

Plenty of shoes do a hell of a lot better than that.

There is no reason they can't use the same material as car tyres for the
soles.

There is actually, **** all would buy them.

Posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Oh very funny.

This is not acceptable in the 21st century.

Plenty of shoes do a hell of a lot better than that.

Depends how much you use them. The point is they do less miles than car tyres, and there is no reason for this.

There is no reason they can't use the same material as car tyres for the
soles.

There is actually, **** all would buy them.

They wouldn't look any different.

--
British Rail Customer: "How much does it cost to Bath on the train?"
Operator: "If you can get your feet in the sink, then it's free".

Car tyre pump Michael Chare[_2_] UK diy 40 May 26th 14 03:19 PM
Time for a new tyre? JoeJoe UK diy 79 December 24th 12 12:07 PM
Tyre sizes Harry Bloomfield[_3_] UK diy 23 August 28th 10 11:02 AM
MBT shoes – excellent barefoot healthy shoes jasmine shen[_2_] UK diy 0 August 9th 10 12:55 AM