Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Monoblock tap tails - onto which copper fitting?

Kitchen fitting happening (hooray). I have to make a proper job of the
tap connections, which is a monobloc mixer with tails that look like:

http://thumbs4.picclick.com/d/l400/p...-Mixer-Tap.jpg

on the left end - 15mm nut, what looks like a rubber washer inside.

Am I correct that these can connect to any compression fitting thread, eg:

http://p.globalsources.com/IMAGES/PD...0263301307.jpg

minus the olive and nut obviously at one end

Just wanted to make sure that it's correct to have a relatively sharp
seat up against the washer and that there isn't a fitting for this type
of connector.

'scuse the stupid question - I want this as right as can be...

Cheers

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/12/14 11:47, Tim Watts wrote:
Kitchen fitting happening (hooray). I have to make a proper job of the
tap connections, which is a monobloc mixer with tails that look like:

http://thumbs4.picclick.com/d/l400/p...-Mixer-Tap.jpg

on the left end - 15mm nut, what looks like a rubber washer inside.

Am I correct that these can connect to any compression fitting thread, eg:

http://p.globalsources.com/IMAGES/PD...0263301307.jpg

minus the olive and nut obviously at one end

Or is this better:

http://i59.tinypic.com/1fy2du.jpg

Much flatter wider seat. Annoyingly I seem to only have one in my parts
bin...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/12/14 12:08, Tim Watts wrote:

Or is this better:

http://i59.tinypic.com/1fy2du.jpg

Much flatter wider seat. Annoyingly I seem to only have one in my parts
bin...

No - found 2...

Label says:

Endex 15x1/2 male coupling N3

http://www.screwfix.com/p/m/57148

Slightly different to my photo - that was an "odd 3rd". Just found 2 of
these in packets.

Anyway - looks like the best thing for the job.

Anyone disagree?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

Or is this better:

Label says:
Endex 15x1/2 male coupling N3
http://www.screwfix.com/p/m/57148

I think I'd pick that one, with the soldered-on version there's one
fewer compression joint, and we know how much you love them ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/12/14 12:33, Andy Burns wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:

Or is this better:

Label says:
Endex 15x1/2 male coupling N3
http://www.screwfix.com/p/m/57148

I think I'd pick that one, with the soldered-on version there's one
fewer compression joint, and we know how much you love them ;-)

Yes - yes I do love them

OK - that's the "silly oversight" filter applied - I agree.

It will also avoid having a compression joint behind a cupboard upright
- there's limited space between the upright and the waste pipe and
that's where the monobloc tail will be connected.

Double bent bit of pipe to bring the end higher up (the existing
isolation valves are 12" off the floor, tails will need to be about 18"
high to have the reach).

Make this up in comfort and only 2 compression joints in a nice
accessible location

Thank you

Amazing the random bits I keep in my box-o-joints!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/12/14 11:47, Tim Watts wrote:
Kitchen fitting happening (hooray). I have to make a proper job of the
tap connections, which is a monobloc mixer with tails that look like:

http://thumbs4.picclick.com/d/l400/p...-Mixer-Tap.jpg

BTW - do the ends that connect to pipework normally have grease in them?

One I just took apart had some white/creamy gunk in it on the rubber washer.

Cannot work out if it is special grease supplied with the taps or the
kitchen chappie (who popped this together temporarily and isn't here
today to ask) got a bit "happy" with boss white (etc)?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/12/2014 11:47, Tim Watts wrote:
Kitchen fitting happening (hooray). I have to make a proper job of the
tap connections, which is a monobloc mixer with tails that look like:

http://thumbs4.picclick.com/d/l400/p...-Mixer-Tap.jpg

on the left end - 15mm nut, what looks like a rubber washer inside.

Am I correct that these can connect to any compression fitting thread, eg:

http://p.globalsources.com/IMAGES/PD...0263301307.jpg

minus the olive and nut obviously at one end

Just wanted to make sure that it's correct to have a relatively sharp
seat up against the washer and that there isn't a fitting for this type
of connector.

'scuse the stupid question - I want this as right as can be...

Cheers

Tim

I fit loads of taps with these connectors, they fit straight onto a
compression fitting & I've never had one even drip.

But you can buy these;
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plum...daptors/p14081

I've had some in my box for a year & never needed one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I fit loads of taps with these connectors, they fit straight onto a
compression fitting & I've never had one even drip.

But you can buy these;
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plum...daptors/p14081

Fair enough - thanks for that.

I'll go with my version of what you have (I think you have a male-male
and I have a male(thread)-female(solder) seeing as I have them and as
Andy rightly says, it's one less compression joint in an awkward place.

But it's most useful to know that tap tails could go directly onto say
an isolator valve.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/12/2014 11:47, Tim Watts wrote:
Kitchen fitting happening (hooray). I have to make a proper job of the
tap connections, which is a monobloc mixer with tails that look like:

http://thumbs4.picclick.com/d/l400/p...-Mixer-Tap.jpg

on the left end - 15mm nut, what looks like a rubber washer inside.

Am I correct that these can connect to any compression fitting thread, eg:

http://p.globalsources.com/IMAGES/PD...0263301307.jpg

minus the olive and nut obviously at one end

Just wanted to make sure that it's correct to have a relatively sharp
seat up against the washer and that there isn't a fitting for this type
of connector.

'scuse the stupid question - I want this as right as can be...

Cheers

Tim

Those tails are designed to screw onto a 1/2" BSP MI [1] fitting - with
the rubber washer sealing against the flat end of the fitting. They will
probably seal ok on the body of a compression fitting - but it never
feels quite right to me.

Have you already got the tails? If not, you can get similar tails with a
push-fit fitting at the remote end - which would just push onto a 15mm
copper pipe. You can also get tails with built-in isolator valves. If
the tails themselves don't have isolators, make sure you fit some not
far down the pipes - but in an accessible position, of course.

[1] MI literally means "Male Iron" but is often also used to refer to
brass fittings with a male BSP thread.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/12/14 20:09, Roger Mills wrote:

Those tails are designed to screw onto a 1/2" BSP MI [1] fitting - with
the rubber washer sealing against the flat end of the fitting. They will
probably seal ok on the body of a compression fitting - but it never
feels quite right to me.

Have you already got the tails?

Yes - they appeared as part of the tap assembly. It's only been temp
fitted to a bit of MDF that's standing in for the worktop until the real
worktop is fitted.

If not, you can get similar tails with a
push-fit fitting at the remote end - which would just push onto a 15mm
copper pipe. You can also get tails with built-in isolator valves. If
the tails themselves don't have isolators, make sure you fit some not
far down the pipes - but in an accessible position, of course.

[1] MI literally means "Male Iron" but is often also used to refer to
brass fittings with a male BSP thread.

Here's the finished (at 11pm) article: (working day plus doing errands
for the kids, did not start until gone 8pm and an hour as usual was
finding stuff

http://i60.tinypic.com/2wg9bwo.jpg

Yes, I allowed for the final worktop being some 20-30mm higher than the
temp MDF.

Funny - no real trouble with the 15mm compression joints - one might
have the tiniest of weeps but I've only gone 1/2 turn past finger tight.
And I rotated the whole valve a bit as the knobs were colliding so
disturbed an old joint.

Seem to have got off lightly...

Now must have a chat with Mr Kitchen Chap[1] about:

1) Needing inserts when putting an olive on speedfit;

2) Not plastering a rubber washer based joint in Boss White (I
identified by smell - took me awhile to clean it all off!)

[1] But the chap's a genius carpenter (proper carpenter) and it was only
a temporary last up - he knew I'd be doing it properly

Finally - got a kitchen coming together and the units are solid wood -
no chip, no MDF...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/12/2014 11:47, Tim Watts wrote:
Kitchen fitting happening (hooray). I have to make a proper job of the
tap connections, which is a monobloc mixer with tails that look like:

http://thumbs4.picclick.com/d/l400/p...-Mixer-Tap.jpg

on the left end - 15mm nut, what looks like a rubber washer inside.

Am I correct that these can connect to any compression fitting thread, eg:

http://p.globalsources.com/IMAGES/PD...0263301307.jpg

minus the olive and nut obviously at one end

I normally use a service valve - and fit them straight onto the end.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
Kitchen fitting happening (hooray). I have to make a proper job of the
tap connections, which is a monobloc mixer with tails that look like:

http://thumbs4.picclick.com/d/l400/p...-Mixer-Tap.jpg

on the left end - 15mm nut, what looks like a rubber washer inside.

Am I correct that these can connect to any compression fitting thread, eg:

http://p.globalsources.com/IMAGES/PD...0263301307.jpg

minus the olive and nut obviously at one end

Just wanted to make sure that it's correct to have a relatively sharp
seat up against the washer and that there isn't a fitting for this type
of connector.

'scuse the stupid question - I want this as right as can be...

Ones like that I've seen are designed to mate with a tap connector rather
than compression fitting.

The tap connector has a washer between two flat faces. Rather than an
olive.

--
*Xerox and Wurlitzer will merge to market reproductive organs.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

This one definitely would not mate with a tap connector...

But it seems very happy on a brass 1/2" male BSP adapter.