Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default "Tradesmen"

Lying on a pile of stuff awaiting removal in the garden of the neighbour
of a friend is a fairly new close coupled toilet.
The neighbour was pottering about and I asked her why such a modern push
button toilet had been discarded.
She told me that it didn't always flush very easily and sometimes kept
running. The plumber told her they couldn't be fixed and she needed a new
toilet. She now needs the floor tiling fixing as the new toilet has a
different "footprint"
I guess it is a case of the tradesman not being bothered to look up the
manual of the flush mechanism or wanting to get involved so he fitted a new
bog from Screwfix.

I am also somewhat bemused by people who leave the choice of major items to
the tradesman.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:

I am also somewhat bemused by people who leave the choice of major items
the tradesman.

You shouldn't be. The sort of stuff that gets talked about so freely here
and on similar sites is completely alien and incomprehensible to a great
many people. If someone perceived as an expert tells them something, of
course they believe it and are willing to act on it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Nov 2014 13:07:17 +0000, DerbyBorn wrote:

Lying on a pile of stuff awaiting removal in the garden of the
neighbour of a friend is a fairly new close coupled toilet.
The neighbour was pottering about and I asked her why such a modern push
button toilet had been discarded.
She told me that it didn't always flush very easily and sometimes kept
running. The plumber told her they couldn't be fixed and she needed a
new toilet. She now needs the floor tiling fixing as the new toilet has
a different "footprint"
I guess it is a case of the tradesman not being bothered to look up the
manual of the flush mechanism or wanting to get involved so he fitted a
new bog from Screwfix.

I am also somewhat bemused by people who leave the choice of major items
to the tradesman.

Presumably the "tradesman" in question figured he could make more money
from replacement than repair.
It must be a nightmare to be at the mercy of the less honest among these
types if you've simply no choice but to trust them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cursitor Doom wrote:
[...]

I expect he will be listed on Checkatrade too!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/11/14 14:50, Bob Minchin wrote:
Cursitor Doom wrote:
[...]

When you are probably looking at 2hrs + labour at £60-£100 m the
customer tends to feel more value is obtained if they get a new loo.

One plastic washer at 15p and £100 of labour doesn't always go down well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Nov 2014 14:54:37 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Lying on a pile of stuff awaiting removal in the garden of the
neighbour of a friend is a fairly new close coupled toilet.
The neighbour was pottering about and I asked her why such a modern push
button toilet had been discarded.

I guess it is a case of the tradesman not being bothered to look up the
manual of the flush mechanism or wanting to get involved so he fitted a
new bog from Screwfix.

I am also somewhat bemused by people who leave the choice of major items
to the tradesman.

Presumably the "tradesman" in question figured he could make more money
from replacement than repair.

When you are probably looking at 2hrs + labour at £60-£100 m the
customer tends to feel more value is obtained if they get a new loo.

One plastic washer at 15p and £100 of labour doesn't always go down well.

And also you may have the sitation that XYZ repair kit is out of stock
and will arrive tommorow, possibly. If there is only one loo a
householder especially a woman may want a working one ASAP.
More so if guests are due.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

When you are probably looking at 2hrs + labour at £60-£100 m the
customer tends to feel more value is obtained if they get a new loo.

with another 2hrs + labour at £60-£100 to order/collect and fit it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote in news:ccs002F3kgtU1
@mid.individual.net:

When you are probably looking at 2hrs + labour at £60-£100 m the
customer tends to feel more value is obtained if they get a new loo.

with another 2hrs + labour at £60-£100 to order/collect and fit it.

A new flush valve could be readily sourced for less than £15.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.236...
Lying on a pile of stuff awaiting removal in the garden of the neighbour
of a friend is a fairly new close coupled toilet.
The neighbour was pottering about and I asked her why such a modern push
button toilet had been discarded.
She told me that it didn't always flush very easily and sometimes kept
running. The plumber told her they couldn't be fixed and she needed a new
toilet. She now needs the floor tiling fixing as the new toilet has a
different "footprint"
I guess it is a case of the tradesman not being bothered to look up the
manual of the flush mechanism or wanting to get involved so he fitted a
new
bog from Screwfix.

I am also somewhat bemused by people who leave the choice of major items
the tradesman.

Because this type of toilet is notoriously unreliable - too many things go
wrong too often.

If he's asked to repair it and does so, then it goes again in 6 months time,
then 12 months, then 18 months, the fella's going to be backwards and
forwards at cost to himself.

Lesson for the customer - don't jump on the bandwagon and use gimicky crap,
use a syphon system that has been used for over a hundred years without
being improved upon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/11/2014 16:33, Phil L wrote:
"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.236...
[...]

I'd agree 100%. But the customer is usually blissfully unaware of the
inner workings of a toilet cistern. Ditto ceramic cartridge taps.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cursitor Doom wrote:
[...]

That depends entirely on how you communicate with the customer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Why do women need to have a **** every twenty minutes?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.222...
alan_m wrote in news:ccs002F3kgtU1
@mid.individual.net:

When you are probably looking at 2hrs + labour at £60-£100 m the
customer tends to feel more value is obtained if they get a new loo.

with another 2hrs + labour at £60-£100 to order/collect and fit it.

A new flush valve could be readily sourced for less than £15.

A decent plumber would have one in his van.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Nov 2014 13:31:08 +0000 (UTC), Cursitor Doom
wrote:

[...]

Is the correct answer.

I called no less than three tradesmen to look at my overflowing
gutters and all three zeroed in to a small area of flat roof that was
the main problem, as they saw it. I didn't use any of them because
what they were saying didn't rally correlate with what I saw when it
rained.
At this point I should point out I am scared of heights and was unable
to look for myself.
The I had an idea; a fishing pole cam.

https://flic.kr/p/oRGv7F

none of the tradesmen apparently saw this blockage

https://flic.kr/p/pN3Mew

Once I knew where the problem was I removed the bathroom DG transom
window from the inside and was able to reach up and lift out the
offending lumps of mortar.
The torrent is now reduced to a trickle which drips from this little
triangular flat roof area. It is as if the gutter is not close enough.
https://flic.kr/p/p8GeDF
When the gutter was replaced it was screwed to a uPVC fascia board
that was not there before. I think it is 9mm thick, so I think the
answer is to remove the short length of fascia over the extension and
secure the gutter brackets to the wall.

Incidentally I am not necessarily saying the flat roof bit doesn't
require attention after 25 years, it's just that the problem I
reported wasn't caused by it.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Nov 2014 16:33:52 -0000, "Phil L"
wrote:

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
. 92.236...
[...]

I fitted Fluidmaster fill and flush valves to both my toilets. No
regrets so far

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harryagain" wrote in message

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.222...
alan_m wrote in news:ccs002F3kgtU1
@mid.individual.net:

When you are probably looking at 2hrs + labour at £60-£100 m the
customer tends to feel more value is obtained if they get a new loo.

with another 2hrs + labour at £60-£100 to order/collect and fit it.

A new flush valve could be readily sourced for less than £15.

A decent plumber would have one in his van.

It still had to be paid for and picked up - it didn't materialise there.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Nov 2014 16:38:41 +0000, ARW wrote:

Why do women need to have a **** every twenty minutes?

Prostate problems? ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Nov 2014 17:29:08 +0000, Phil L wrote:

When you are probably looking at 2hrs + labour at £60-£100 m the
customer tends to feel more value is obtained if they get a new loo.

with another 2hrs + labour at £60-£100 to order/collect and fit it.

A new flush valve could be readily sourced for less than £15.

A decent plumber would have one in his van.

It still had to be paid for and picked up - it didn't materialise there.

No, it was ordered over t'internet, and arrived in a courier's van for
three quid.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Nov 2014 16:33:52 +0000, Phil L wrote:

The neighbour was pottering about and I asked her why such a modern
push button toilet had been discarded.

Because this type of toilet is notoriously unreliable - too many things
go wrong too often.

So that's why both of our push-button bogs only work on one half of the
split button...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

/
Because this type of toilet is notoriously unreliable - too many things
go wrong too often.

So that's why both of our push-button bogs only work on one half of the
split button... /q

Adjustment is your fiend....

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bert Coules wrote:

You shouldn't be. The sort of stuff that gets talked about so freely
here and on similar sites is completely alien and incomprehensible to a
great many people. If someone perceived as an expert tells them
something, of course they believe it and are willing to act on it.

When my children were little I told them lies all the time to make them
suspicious. It worked.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote in news:m4b4vj$v2v$8
@speranza.aioe.org:

Bert Coules wrote:

You shouldn't be. The sort of stuff that gets talked about so freely
here and on similar sites is completely alien and incomprehensible to a
great many people. If someone perceived as an expert tells them
something, of course they believe it and are willing to act on it.

Bill

With a few well known exceptions (Bill) I doubt that many tradesmen read
sites like this and ever read the instalation manuals of stuff they are
fitting.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I am also reminded of the old Flanders and Swan classic about tradesmen,
sometimes called the gasman came to call, but probably has appeared with
other titles over the years.
The plot basically is that each tradesman screws up something for the next
one to have to fix in an endless loop.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.236...
Lying on a pile of stuff awaiting removal in the garden of the neighbour
of a friend is a fairly new close coupled toilet.
The neighbour was pottering about and I asked her why such a modern push
button toilet had been discarded.
She told me that it didn't always flush very easily and sometimes kept
running. The plumber told her they couldn't be fixed and she needed a new
toilet. She now needs the floor tiling fixing as the new toilet has a
different "footprint"
I guess it is a case of the tradesman not being bothered to look up the
manual of the flush mechanism or wanting to get involved so he fitted a
new
bog from Screwfix.

I am also somewhat bemused by people who leave the choice of major items
the tradesman.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:

With a few well known exceptions (Bill) I doubt that many tradesmen read
sites like this and ever read the instalation manuals of stuff they are
fitting.

I've certainly had to pull people up on that one. ;-)

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"harryagain" writes:

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.222...

A new flush valve could be readily sourced for less than £15.

A decent plumber would have one in his van.

IME, they won't even have basic pipe couplers, elbows, etc.

I was redoing the bathroom in a previous house of a relative, and
we needed to get it done quicker than I could just spending weekends
on it, so got a plumber in to do some of the plumbing. I left my
stock of end-feed fittings all laid out for him so he didn't need to
keep popping to screwfix to buy an elbow, flexible tap connector, etc.
(and it meant they cost us BES prices, and not screwfix prices).
Mostly, it worked, although when he ran out of one of them (due to
using vastly more than I would have), he made a couple of trips to
buy push-fit equivalents from screwfix.

--
Andrew Gabriel