Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tip for travellers

If you are abroad and wish to purchase a large item, which you can get
the weight down to 50lbs, then if you are flying BA, this can
frequently be shipped without oversize baggage charges. See website for
details. Just done it for a 12" double bevel sliding mitre saw. I just
need to stop her from traveling with 27 pairs of shoes, then I can get a
lot more useful things in.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/11/2014 05:08, Capitol wrote:
If you are abroad and wish to purchase a large item, which you can
get the weight down to 50lbs, then if you are flying BA, this can
frequently be shipped without oversize baggage charges. See website for
details. Just done it for a 12" double bevel sliding mitre saw. I just
need to stop her from traveling with 27 pairs of shoes, then I can get a
lot more useful things in.

If you can lift it then you can take it on-board BA as your carry-on. No
restrictions, other than the ability to lift it yourself and it fitting
inside the overhead.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 Nov 2014 11:36:26 +0000, F wrote:

If you are abroad and wish to purchase a large item, which you can
get the weight down to 50lbs, then if you are flying BA, this can
frequently be shipped without oversize baggage charges. See website for
details. Just done it for a 12" double bevel sliding mitre saw. I just
need to stop her from traveling with 27 pairs of shoes, then I can get
a lot more useful things in.

If you can lift it then you can take it on-board BA as your carry-on. No
restrictions, other than the ability to lift it yourself and it fitting
inside the overhead.

BA beg to differ, but what would they know?
http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...sentials/hand-
baggage-allowances
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2014-11-13, F news@nowhere wrote:
On 13/11/2014 05:08, Capitol wrote:
If you are abroad and wish to purchase a large item, which you can
get the weight down to 50lbs, then if you are flying BA, this can
frequently be shipped without oversize baggage charges. See website for
details. Just done it for a 12" double bevel sliding mitre saw. I just
need to stop her from traveling with 27 pairs of shoes, then I can get a
lot more useful things in.

If you can lift it then you can take it on-board BA as your carry-on. No
restrictions,

Wrong.

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...age-allowances

Max weight 23kg. It must be up to 45cm x 36cm x 20cm (18in x 14in x 8in)
including handles, pockets and wheels.

Looks like they have tightened the rules since we last flew with them as
there previously was no weight limit other than the requirement to be
able to lift it. My luggage allowance spreadsheet has now been updated!
As for size, you are allowed two bags in the cabin and the one you quote
is the smaller one that's supposed to go under the seat. The overhead
bag can be up to 56 x 45 x 25 but the size of the overhead bin is pretty
much the limiter rather than the dimensions they quote.

The rules are rarely enforced, and I wish they would be.

Try travelling on Qatar out of Doha. The locals take huge launderette
bags on board without any comment from the cabin crew. The cabin looks
like the local bazaar!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/11/2014 12:28, Adrian wrote:
On Thu, 13 Nov 2014 11:36:26 +0000, F wrote:

If you are abroad and wish to purchase a large item, which you can
get the weight down to 50lbs, then if you are flying BA, this can
frequently be shipped without oversize baggage charges. See website for
details. Just done it for a 12" double bevel sliding mitre saw. I just
need to stop her from traveling with 27 pairs of shoes, then I can get
a lot more useful things in.

If you can lift it then you can take it on-board BA as your carry-on. No
restrictions, other than the ability to lift it yourself and it fitting
inside the overhead.

BA beg to differ, but what would they know?
http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...sentials/hand-
baggage-allowances

It's changed since we flew with them last.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2014-11-13, F news@nowhere wrote:

As for size, you are allowed two bags in the cabin

Correct.

Wrong.

Wrong.

You are allowed one carry-on bag and a small handbag.

Carry-on *bag*. Small hand*bag*.

So *two* bags.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2014-11-13, F news@nowhere wrote:
On 13/11/2014 12:28, Adrian wrote:
On Thu, 13 Nov 2014 11:36:26 +0000, F wrote:

If you are abroad and wish to purchase a large item, which you can
get the weight down to 50lbs, then if you are flying BA, this can
frequently be shipped without oversize baggage charges. See website for
details. Just done it for a 12" double bevel sliding mitre saw. I just
need to stop her from traveling with 27 pairs of shoes, then I can get
a lot more useful things in.

If you can lift it then you can take it on-board BA as your carry-on. No
restrictions, other than the ability to lift it yourself and it fitting
inside the overhead.

BA beg to differ, but what would they know?
http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...sentials/hand-
baggage-allowances

It's changed since we flew with them last.

Wrong. I've been flying BA to the USA for 35 years. There's always been
a size and weight limit for hand baggage.

We've flown with them on and off over the last twenty years and the only
weight limit I've seen on their site has been the requirement to be able
to lift the bag. Confirmed by at least two cabin crew on separate
flights when I've commented on their generosity.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2014-11-13, F news@nowhere wrote:

As for size, you are allowed two bags in the cabin

Correct.

Wrong.

Wrong.

You are allowed one carry-on bag and a small handbag.

Carry-on *bag*. Small hand*bag*.

So *two* bags.

Pedantic ****.

You certainly are. I think it was you who commented 'wrong' when I said
'you are allowed two bags in the cabin'?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 Nov 2014 12:44:31 +0000, F wrote:

If you can lift it then you can take it on-board BA as your carry-on.
No restrictions, other than the ability to lift it yourself and it
fitting inside the overhead.

BA beg to differ, but what would they know?
http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...ge-essentials/
hand-baggage-allowances

It's changed since we flew with them last.

Restrictions were probably introduced about the same time they changed
the name from BOAC.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/11/2014 13:07, F wrote:
On 13/11/2014 12:58, Huge wrote:
On 2014-11-13, F news@nowhere wrote:
[...]

ISTR a limit of 15kgs being shown in the West London Air Terminal,
although that was BEA, in the days before BEA and BOAC merged to form
BA. I don't recall anybody weighing the hand baggage though.

We've flown with them on and off over the last twenty years and the only
weight limit I've seen on their site has been the requirement to be able
to lift the bag. Confirmed by at least two cabin crew on separate
flights when I've commented on their generosity.

Following the recommendations for what it is safe to lift above shoulder
height, that would limit you to 10kgs for men or 7kgs for women.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2014-11-13, F news@nowhere wrote:

As for size, you are allowed two bags in the cabin

Wrong. You are allowed one carry-on bag and a small handbag.

The announcements on both BA flights I was on yesterday clearly said to put
your smaller bag under the seat infront of you and your larger bag in the
overhead lockers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I thought this would be about nicking 'scrap' metals, phone wires, shoddy tarmacing, threatening old ladies, lucky heather & peg salesmanship. How wrong could I be !

Jim K