Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default Extractor fan

I will shortly be refurbishing a toilet with shower, currently it has
problems with mould. The current state for ventilation is a small louvre
type window approx 24 " high x 6" wide, it is my intention to replace
this small window to a smaller size but have the top part with an
extractor fan.
Question...
Is it ok to use a ceiling fan (as advertised) type extractor fan but in
an inline configuration as it would be if replacing part of the louvre
window.
Would there be any issues with this? My thinking being a ceiling fan
has vertical extraction but on the louvre window horizontal extraction.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ss" wrote in message
I will shortly be refurbishing a toilet with shower, currently it has
problems with mould. The current state for ventilation is a small louvre
type window approx 24 " high x 6" wide, it is my intention to replace this
small window to a smaller size but have the top part with an extractor
fan.
Question...
Is it ok to use a ceiling fan (as advertised) type extractor fan but in an
inline configuration as it would be if replacing part of the louvre
window.

Would there be any issues with this?

Could be if the fan bearings don't like that.

Extractor fans that go on the wall often have electric
shutters so there is no draft when they are not turned
on too. Ceiling fans usually don't.

My thinking being a ceiling fan has vertical extraction but on the louvre
window horizontal extraction.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Actually, mould is caused when damp is not removed. Though fitting an
extractor can help, in some of the very old built on outside loos with
showers I have seen, the only solution was a better form of insulation of
the walls that go to the outside of the building. Condensation often happens
before the humid air can be changed over. Besides, any flow that strong will
cause a draft and if you are somewhat naked, its not present, so the folk
tend to then fit a radiator which akes the condensation happen even faster
in cold weather.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"ss" wrote in message
I will shortly be refurbishing a toilet with shower, currently it has
problems with mould. The current state for ventilation is a small louvre
type window approx 24 " high x 6" wide, it is my intention to replace this
small window to a smaller size but have the top part with an extractor fan.
Question...
Is it ok to use a ceiling fan (as advertised) type extractor fan but in an
inline configuration as it would be if replacing part of the louvre
window.
Would there be any issues with this? My thinking being a ceiling fan has
vertical extraction but on the louvre window horizontal extraction.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ss writes:
I will shortly be refurbishing a toilet with shower, currently it has
problems with mould. The current state for ventilation is a small louvre
type window approx 24 " high x 6" wide, it is my intention to replace
this small window to a smaller size but have the top part with an
extractor fan.

That will help, but I would also consider thermal insulation.
If the room is poorly insulated, the cold walls will always be at
risk of being below the dew point (pretty much a dead certainty
in a shower room). You need to ensure you don't have cold walls.
Even 1" of celotex/kingspan is enough to stop this (obviously use
more if you have the space). Also, make sure the room is properly
heated by the central heating (a towel rail covered in towels
usually doesn't work well for heating - the quoted power output
of a towel rail is when it's not being used as a towel rail;-).
I'm doing one at the moment for a relative, and I'm installing
underfloor heating, simply by snaking 10mm microbore up and
down under the floorboards - very cheap and very effective.
The return will be via the towel rail with a TRV and to provide
the bleeding point. I've done similar before and it works very
well.

Question...
Is it ok to use a ceiling fan (as advertised) type extractor fan but in
an inline configuration as it would be if replacing part of the louvre
window.

Yes. However, it needs to be at least 600mm (IIRC) horizontally from
the edge of the shower cubicle, or it needs to be designed for use
in bath/showeroom Zone 2, or Zone 1 if the window is inside the
shower cubicle (these are often low voltage and separate isolating
transformer).

I would suggest picking one with automatic louvres, or a backdraft
shutter. Also consider switching options, such as a run-on timer.

Would there be any issues with this? My thinking being a ceiling fan
has vertical extraction but on the louvre window horizontal extraction.

That makes no difference. If you are fitting it in the glass, then
you need a fan suitable for glass fixing, which is very different
from wall or ceiling fixing.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 07/11/2014 10:49, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In ,
writes:
[...]

The toilet /shower room is normally ok with condensation so I suspect
the insulation is ok, it also has a radiator in it. The problem arises
with my wife using it to shower in, wont open a window or she leaves
evrything covered in water as she never sqeejees down the shower walls
and then complains a month down the line about the mould forming. It is
then cleaned up and a month later the cycle starts again.
I am hoping by fitting an extractor that most of the steamy air can be
extracted and at least reduce the mould problem.
Wife training is another option but thats more difficult.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, November 8, 2014 3:39:38 PM UTC, ss wrote:

The toilet /shower room is normally ok with condensation so I suspect
the insulation is ok, it also has a radiator in it. The problem arises
with my wife using it to shower in, wont open a window or she leaves
evrything covered in water as she never sqeejees down the shower walls
and then complains a month down the line about the mould forming. It is
then cleaned up and a month later the cycle starts again.
I am hoping by fitting an extractor that most of the steamy air can be
extracted and at least reduce the mould problem.
Wife training is another option but thats more difficult.

an option in theory anyway Spray it with bleach

NT

Extractor fan john dolan Woodworking 4 May 31st 07 12:44 AM
email extractor , site , solutions , email based marketing , email marketing solution , email extractor , newsletter software , mass email , e-mail marketing , email marketing solutions , bulk email software , web advertising , email marketing , mark Nuclear Incorporation. www.nuclear-inc.com UK diy 0 April 5th 07 09:31 PM
Extractor fan Rick UK diy 0 January 29th 06 11:21 PM
Extractor fan Andy Hall UK diy 1 January 29th 06 08:59 PM
Help with hob extractor fan? al UK diy 9 August 22nd 05 12:05 PM