Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mobility scooter mods

She has now had to have a mobility scooter, so I'm quite busy modifying
that at the moment, to make it more usable for her. I am absolutely
astounded at the poor design of them, if this one is anything to go by
and the profit they make on them.

So far I've had to make a small ramp, to enable it to climb into the
hut where it is stored, from alloy chequer plate, supported by timber.
Add brackets to accept oxy bottles, adapt a flight bag on wheels for
shopping and devise a support bracket to take some of the flight bags
weight. Fit yet another 13amp outlet from which to charge it's
batteries. The flight boarding bag proved to be a much better fit, than
the purpose made items and much cheaper. It comes with an extendible
handle, wheels and rucksack type straps, enabling it to fit straight
onto the seat back.

It has a reversing beeper/piezo sounder which was inaudible, due to the
manufacturer fitting the sounder in heat-shrink, several nuts bolts and
brackets holding nothing.

Still to do is the lamps to be changed for LED's so as to conserve
power.

All good fun, but has anyone come across a forum for modifying and
improving basic mobility scooters please?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 26 Oct 2014 12:40:27 GMT
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

[...]

Searching newsgroups only produces odd ones, (Russian Mafia?), with the
Italian Motoclismo Sports being relatively well-populated. Otherwise,
it seems ripe for somebody to start such a group.
I could have run down two of them yesterday, no flags, no license
plates, crossing the road one after the other.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes plus a lot are very silent and do not have any reflective or dayglo
contrasting surfaces, being a boring dull blue colour. Who does the
certification of these things?
I understand the users do not need to pass a test and many have poor sight
so tend to run into and over things. They need a rubber ring around them
with a cut off switch.

Some still use lead acid batteries.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Davey" wrote in message
On Sun, 26 Oct 2014 12:40:27 GMT
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/10/2014 12:40, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

All good fun, but has anyone come across a forum for modifying and
improving basic mobility scooters please?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KdGLMzrc2Q

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
She has now had to have a mobility scooter, so I'm quite busy modifying
that at the moment, to make it more usable for her. I am absolutely
astounded at the poor design of them,

I have two in use and I'm impressed by both. Both are made by Pride.
The standard of construction is very good. Of course there are little
design niggles, but generally I'm impressed.

if this one is anything to go by
and the profit they make on them.

I'm wondering if you bought from a high street shop. Prices there are
sometimes twice what they are on the internet. The two I've bought
recently were (a) £870 internet, £1799 shops (b) £2,150 internet, £4,999
shops. I've had good after sales service from the supplier.

The same applies to batteries and other accessories. Take chargers for
instance. Some of the ones in the shops are right old rip-off, and
actually aren't very good chargers.

So far I've had to make a small ramp, to enable it to climb into the hut
where it is stored,

I suggest you make the hut very secure, and maybe alarm it. And put a
greenhouse heater in there. Otherwise you will have corrosion and
battery problems.

from alloy chequer plate,

Beware, that stuff is ridiculously slippery when wet. You wouldn't think
it, but it is. In the end I had to cover my ramp with ribbed rubber. I
was sliding all over the place.

supported by timber. Add
brackets to accept oxy bottles, adapt a flight bag on wheels for
shopping and devise a support bracket to take some of the flight bags
weight. Fit yet another 13amp outlet from which to charge it's
batteries. The flight boarding bag proved to be a much better fit, than
the purpose made items and much cheaper. It comes with an extendible
handle, wheels and rucksack type straps, enabling it to fit straight
onto the seat back.

It has a reversing beeper/piezo sounder which was inaudible, due to the
manufacturer fitting the sounder in heat-shrink, several nuts bolts and
brackets holding nothing.

Still to do is the lamps to be changed for LED's so as to conserve power.

Are you sure they aren't already LEDs? I'm surprised if anyone is
fitting anything else.

All good fun, but has anyone come across a forum for modifying and
improving basic mobility scooters please?

I don't know of one. Certainly the trade likes to think that all the
customers are hopeless invalids who can't do a thing for themselves.
They forget of course that some of the customers have husbands and wives
who are highly capable.

I've had a quite a lot of experience with this game, so if there's any
help you need please ask.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright explained :
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

Hi Bill,

Yes, they are filament lamps - I've PM'ed you from the address on your
web site..

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Yes, they are filament lamps - I've PM'ed you from the address on your
web site..

Yes, got that Harry, and replied.

How ridiculous to use filament lamps on a vehicle where range is
restricted by battery life.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Yes, they are filament lamps - I've PM'ed you from the address on your
web site..

Yes, got that Harry, and replied.

How ridiculous to use filament lamps on a vehicle where range is
restricted by battery life.

The whole thing looks like its been 'designed' by a fool that
doesn't have a ****ing clue about even the most basic stuff.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 26 Oct 2014 14:02:50 +0000, Bill Wright
wrote:

snip

The same applies to batteries and other accessories. Take chargers for
instance. Some of the ones in the shops are right old rip-off, and
actually aren't very good chargers.

snip

Talking of batteries and chargers ... Dad took to a second hand one of
the small 'take down' trike scooters towards the end and because he
liked it so much, bought a new one 'on offer' to keep the s/h one down
the caravan.

He was generally quite good looking after the batteries, putting them
on charge every so often during the winter etc. A while back (probably
a couple of years after he passed away) Mum was looking to sell them
and we suggested she kept the new(er) one for herself (although at 85
she is still pretty mobile) because I knew how little they can
sometimes go for second hand and how useful it might be. So, in
digging them out I discovered the batteries from the 'new' scooter
were as_dead_as the proverbial ... and the older ones were tired but
still useable (with restricted range). We leant the older batteries to
the new owner (a neighbour) of the older scooter so they could see if
was a) all ok and b) what they wanted.

I had the same feeling scrapping the batteries from the scooter that
looked 'brand new' just as I do when scrapping batteries that look
'brand new' from UPS's. ;-(

Anyway, Mum needed the scooter recently (hurt her foot digging in the
garden) and so I picked up a couple of replacement (Lucas) batteries
off eBay but as we sold the charger with the older buggy, I'm stuck
with either getting her just another 24V scooter charger or going to
what I think I'd prefer, 2 x 12V 'automatic' motorcycle type chargers
(Yamaha branded CTEK).

However, this means adding some extra charging connectors to each
battery pack (they are removable as this is a take-down scooter) that
may not be as quick / easy as the existing 1/4" type 'mono' charging
jack or modifying the wiring to put a suitable charging point (3 pin
XLR?) somewhere easy for mum to get at (and wiring / fitting the two
chargers side_by_side).

I think there may be some sort of interlock on the existing jack
socket to disable the speed controller when the charger is plugged in.

So, any thoughts on the idea of charging such batteries in series and
do you think (like me) that charging each battery separately and with
what could be a 'better' charger might be a good idea (I already have
the 2 x 12 chargers available)?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:

Anyway, Mum needed the scooter recently (hurt her foot digging in the
garden) and so I picked up a couple of replacement (Lucas) batteries
off eBay but as we sold the charger with the older buggy, I'm stuck
with either getting her just another 24V scooter charger or going to
what I think I'd prefer, 2 x 12V 'automatic' motorcycle type chargers
(Yamaha branded CTEK).

No, don't do that.

However, this means adding some extra charging connectors to each
battery pack (they are removable as this is a take-down scooter) that
may not be as quick / easy as the existing 1/4" type 'mono' charging
jack or modifying the wiring to put a suitable charging point (3 pin
XLR?) somewhere easy for mum to get at (and wiring / fitting the two
chargers side_by_side).

No, this is not a good idea. believe me, I have the T shirt.

I think there may be some sort of interlock on the existing jack
socket to disable the speed controller when the charger is plugged in.

Yes, the charger plug commons the third pin to the neg pin. This
inhibits the machine. hence the current rip off. Machines have to be
immobilised for air travel, so some eBay sharks are selling immobiliser
plugs for £30.

So, any thoughts on the idea of charging such batteries in series and
do you think (like me) that charging each battery separately and with
what could be a 'better' charger might be a good idea (I already have
the 2 x 12 chargers available)?

Really you would be better just going down the conventional route and
using a good (intelligent) 24V charger. I can recommend both of these:

http://www.tayna.co.uk/Numax-Mobilit...-2A-P6142.html

https://advancedbatterysupplies.co.u...240700mobility

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

What is the reasoning behind not charging batteries separately?
I mean, I d have thought the fewer cells in series the better, unless these
are lithium types with proper sensors fitted.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
T i m wrote:

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 27 Oct 2014 09:18:16 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

What is the reasoning behind not charging batteries separately?

That would be my question as well.

I mean, I d have thought the fewer cells in series the better, unless these
are lithium types with proper sensors fitted.

Quite. I have tested enough 'batteries' (made from a pack of 'cells')
to know that rarely do all the cells / batteries start off, let alone
end up equal. Therefore, it's not long before the weak cells are being
overcharged and over discharged (and or even reverse charged).

So, two 12V chargers working independently on two 12V batteries would
always be 'better' in my mind than a single 24V trying to deal with
the differences that are bound to exist between the two batteries.
Even better would be 12 x 2V chargers, dealing with each cell
independently but that isn't an option or really realistic here.

I've just bought a couple of packs of AA Ni-Mh cells and the first
thing I do with anything like that is put them on my cycler / charger
and test and mark their capacities. That way I can take my pick from
all 8 of the same make / spec / age and try to use them in as close
balanced sets (2's, 4's etc) as I can.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 27 Oct 2014 04:14:19 +0000, Bill Wright
wrote:

snip

So, any thoughts on the idea of charging such batteries in series and
do you think (like me) that charging each battery separately and with
what could be a 'better' charger might be a good idea (I already have
the 2 x 12 chargers available)?

Really you would be better just going down the conventional route and
using a good (intelligent) 24V charger. I can recommend both of these:

http://www.tayna.co.uk/Numax-Mobilit...-2A-P6142.html

https://advancedbatterysupplies.co.u...240700mobility

It's interesting to see both Numax and Ctek are considered equally in
some circles. ;-)

http://www.manbat.co.uk/chargers/

I may well go for the 'conventional' solution simply because it's
easier for me and useable batteries aren't 'that expensive' these
days.

Some of these scooters are though aren't they, you could buy a good
second hand car for the price of some of them, even simple / small
ones like Mums:

http://www.tgamobility.co.uk/product/superlight-rwd

Except she has the FWD version, much better manoeuvrability (I should
imagine) than the RWD model but might have less wheel spin in the wet
or when going 'off-road'. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

All good fun, but has anyone come across a forum for modifying and
improving basic mobility scooters please?

Not quite, but www.remapedia.org.uk has few modifications done to
overcome specific problems- search for "scooter".

--
Peter Parry
www.remap.org.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

She has now had to have a mobility scooter, so I'm quite busy modifying
that at the moment, to make it more usable for her. I am absolutely
astounded at the poor design of them, if this one is anything to go by

Still to do is the lamps to be changed for LED's so as to conserve
power.

All good fun, but has anyone come across a forum for modifying and
improving basic mobility scooters please?

Not a forum but Colin Furze has some interesting ideas!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7gWMgN1NGM

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 27 Oct 2014 09:35:48 -0000
"Muddymike" wrote:

She has now had to have a mobility scooter, so I'm quite busy
modifying
that at the moment, to make it more usable for her. I am absolutely
astounded at the poor design of them, if this one is anything to go
by

Still to do is the lamps to be changed for LED's so as to conserve
power.

All good fun, but has anyone come across a forum for modifying and
improving basic mobility scooters please?

Not a forum but Colin Furze has some interesting ideas!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7gWMgN1NGM

Mike

It is amazing that Colin Furze is still around to invent more stuff,
such as jet-propelled mobility scooters.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Muddymike" wrote:

She has now had to have a mobility scooter, so I'm quite busy
modifying
that at the moment, to make it more usable for her. I am absolutely
astounded at the poor design of them, if this one is anything to go
by

Still to do is the lamps to be changed for LED's so as to conserve
power.

All good fun, but has anyone come across a forum for modifying and
improving basic mobility scooters please?

Not a forum but Colin Furze has some interesting ideas!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7gWMgN1NGM

Mike

It is amazing that Colin Furze is still around to invent more stuff,
such as jet-propelled mobility scooters.

I know, you'd think he would have killed himself by now:-)

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Muddymike" wrote:

She has now had to have a mobility scooter, so I'm quite busy
modifying
that at the moment, to make it more usable for her. I am
absolutely astounded at the poor design of them, if this one is
anything to go by

Still to do is the lamps to be changed for LED's so as to
conserve power.

All good fun, but has anyone come across a forum for modifying
and improving basic mobility scooters please?

Not a forum but Colin Furze has some interesting ideas!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7gWMgN1NGM

Mike

It is amazing that Colin Furze is still around to invent more stuff,
such as jet-propelled mobility scooters.

I know, you'd think he would have killed himself by now:-)

Mike

It must be something to do with wearing a tie at all times.

--
Davey.