Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Stone sink top

How would you cut a marble or granite work-top to take a sink?

I can guess as far as marking it out conventionally and imagine with 1/2" over-hang, I won't need to worry too much about a polished finish.

So would a drill do the monkey business?
Or won't peanuts cover it?

I don't like the idea of spending money if it is a DIYer.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Weatherlawyer wrote

How would you cut a marble or granite work-top to take a sink?

I got the operation that makes gravestones to cut it with their saw.

I can guess as far as marking it out conventionally and imagine with
1/2" over-hang, I won't need to worry too much about a polished finish.

So would a drill do the monkey business?

I'd use a masonry disk in a circular saw instead.

Or won't peanuts cover it?

I don't like the idea of spending money if it is a DIYer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Weatherlawyer wrote:
How would you cut a marble or granite work-top to take a sink?

I can guess as far as marking it out conventionally and imagine with 1/2" over-hang, I won't need to worry too much about a polished finish.

So would a drill do the monkey business?
Or won't peanuts cover it?

I don't like the idea of spending money if it is a DIYer.

Been waiting for a real reason to say ANGLE GRINDER.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/10/2014 22:14, Weatherlawyer wrote:

How would you cut a marble or granite work-top to take a sink?

I can guess as far as marking it out conventionally and imagine with
1/2" over-hang, I won't need to worry too much about a polished
finish.

I would use a diamond core drill at the "corners" to give a radius
corner, then use a continuous rim diamond disk either in an angle
grinder or in a circular saw if you want very accurate edges.

So would a drill do the monkey business? Or won't peanuts cover it?

Can I have a pint of whatever you are drinking?

I don't like the idea of spending money if it is a DIYer.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/10/2014 03:56, John Rumm wrote:
On 12/10/2014 22:14, Weatherlawyer wrote:

How would you cut a marble or granite work-top to take a sink?

I can guess as far as marking it out conventionally and imagine with
1/2" over-hang, I won't need to worry too much about a polished
finish.

I would use a diamond core drill at the "corners" to give a radius
corner, then use a continuous rim diamond disk either in an angle
grinder or in a circular saw if you want very accurate edges...

Whenever I've seen stone being cut, which includes a very impressive 8ft
diameter circular saw cutting slate in Wales, it has always been
accompanied by the use of copious amounts of water.

--
Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 13 October 2014 03:56:49 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 12/10/2014 22:14, Weatherlawyer wrote:

How would you cut a marble or granite work-top to take a sink?

I would use a diamond core drill at the "corners" to give a radius
corner, then use a continuous rim diamond disk either in an angle
grinder or in a circular saw if you want very accurate edges.

Can I have a pint of whatever you are drinking?

4:1 coffee (cheapo from Lidl or Aldi) to cocoa (the real thing not that malted sugary stuff they pass off at three times the price) add a good pinch of salt to kill the acid in the cocao.

I don't like the idea of spending money if it is a DIYer.

The point is that I don't want to get an expensive diamond cutter. I might look see if a cheap abrasive disc will fit in one of my circular saws. If I can find the tungsten tipped core drill I used to have some years back I will give that a go. Probably want a thick backing board though.

I can see me trying to glue two or three large bits together with Araldite.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/10/2014 22:14, Weatherlawyer wrote:
How would you cut a marble or granite work-top to take a sink?

I can guess as far as marking it out conventionally and imagine with 1/2" over-hang, I won't need to worry too much about a polished finish.

So would a drill do the monkey business?
Or won't peanuts cover it?

I don't like the idea of spending money if it is a DIYer.

Marble is quite soft. You can cut that with diy tools if it isn't too
thick. 20mm white marble I have cut with a small grinder no problem.
Granite is very hard. It is cut with diamond tools cooled with water.
You will only manage small cuts with a conventional angle grinder and a
good disk.
I wouldn't count on getting any accuracy either. Cuts in marble you can
clean up with carborundum, wet and dry paper and a lot of patience. Cuts
in granite not.

Tim W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message
How would you cut a marble or granite work-top to take a sink?

I can guess as far as marking it out conventionally and imagine with 1/2"
over-hang, I won't need to worry too much about a polished finish.

So would a drill do the monkey business?
Or won't peanuts cover it?

I don't like the idea of spending money if it is a DIYer.

Firstly I would avoid marble. It will be dissolved by anything acidic,
vinegar, fruit juice etc. Also it is likely to be very weak where you reduce
the width for the sink cutout.

Granite can be cut with a diamond blade in a 4.5 or 5 inch angle grinder. I
would mark out on masking tape so you can see the line. Straight cuts are
easy enough. Best done outside due to dust but then your problem will be to
get it back in place without breaking it. That last bit I think will be
more of a problem than the cutout.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, October 13, 2014 10:01:24 AM UTC+1, mark wrote:
[...]

Its a long time since I did anything with marble, but its weak stuff. If you must use it for this job, I'd cut the strips that run in front of & behind the sink as 2 separate pieces. Otherwise you're just being optimistic. Also you'll need to seal it well to cope with kitchen acids.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Weatherlawyer wrote:
How would you cut a marble or granite work-top to take a sink?

I can guess as far as marking it out conventionally and imagine with 1/2" over-hang, I won't need to worry too much about a polished finish.

So would a drill do the monkey business?
Or won't peanuts cover it?

I don't like the idea of spending money if it is a DIYer.

Make a plywood template that has a hole in it the same as the hole you
need to cut, plus 5mm all round. Fasten this to the stone. It will mean
you can't possibly slip and make a ******** of it. Drill holes at the
corners of the desired holes. Cut the hole with a stone wheel in an
angle grinder. The holes are markers in case you have to cut from the
underneath. It could be worth renting a big angle grinder, although
they're only £45.

Bill