Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default USB connected printer to Ethernet.

I've got an older HP printer which I installed onto my PC (Windows 7) with ethernet connection.

I've been given a younger one which had to have some major repairs - duff electrolytic caps - which I have proof tested on USB. I now want to change that onto the Ethernet; is there a simple way of doing this or do I have to re-install ?

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/10/2014 23:04, robgraham wrote:
I've got an older HP printer which I installed onto my PC (Windows 7)
with ethernet connection.

I've been given a younger one which had to have some major repairs -
duff electrolytic caps - which I have proof tested on USB. I now want
to change that onto the Ethernet; is there a simple way of doing this
or do I have to re-install ?

Open the printers folder. Right click on the printer and select printer
properties.

Click the "ports" tab. If there is already a TCP/IP port that has the
right address set, then just tick the box beside it. If not, click the
add port button, select "standard TCP/IP port" and type the address of
the printer.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, October 8, 2014 1:05:25 AM UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 07/10/2014 23:04, robgraham wrote:

I've got an older HP printer which I installed onto my PC (Windows 7)

with ethernet connection.

I've been given a younger one which had to have some major repairs -

duff electrolytic caps - which I have proof tested on USB. I now want

to change that onto the Ethernet; is there a simple way of doing this

or do I have to re-install ?

Open the printers folder. Right click on the printer and select printer

properties.

Click the "ports" tab. If there is already a TCP/IP port that has the

right address set, then just tick the box beside it. If not, click the

add port button, select "standard TCP/IP port" and type the address of

the printer.

--

Cheers,

John.

Thanks John .. but no joy. The diagnostics says there is a network problem "... cannot be connected over the network". I 'Removed' the previous printer, entered the port details as instructed, but had noted that the previous printer had more information in 'Location' under the General tab, and in 'Configure Port' the box 'Port Name' has just retained the data from the previous printer and cannot be amended from the keyboard.

Any ideas ?
Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/10/2014 18:40, robgraham wrote:
[...]

Did you try doing a remove port from the ports configuration page as well?

Have you also allocated a static IP to the printer?

Note that the name field is usually automatically filled in based on
what you enter for the address.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, October 8, 2014 7:45:18 PM UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
[...]

Many thanks both of you for your help. In the end, having got this printer showing up as a "Printer", and seemingly all the port details correct, but no test print arriving, I deleted it and told Windows 7 to find a 'New Printer'. That got it -- and all the port details were exactly the same !!

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/10/14 22:04, robgraham wrote:
Many thanks both of you for your help. In the end, having got this
printer showing up as a "Printer", and seemingly all the port details
correct, but no test print arriving, I deleted it and told Windows 7
to find a 'New Printer'. That got it -- and all the port details
were exactly the same !!

...and they complain lunix is hard...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/10/2014 23:04, robgraham wrote:
I've got an older HP printer which I installed onto my PC (Windows 7) with ethernet connection.

I've been given a younger one which had to have some major repairs - duff electrolytic caps - which I have proof tested on USB. I now want to change that onto the Ethernet; is there a simple way of doing this or do I have to re-install ?

Rob

Recently had this issue with some Brother printers.

The answer for them was:

Disconnect USB cable.
Go into networking menu on printer, select Network reset.
Connect network cable.
Printer gets ip, etc., using DHCP and is readily accessible.
Utility on PC can set ip to be static.

--
Rod

TV over ethernet RJH[_2_] UK diy 22 February 7th 14 10:40 AM
What's the trick to make Ethernet work on an HP 2100TN printer? Misha Home Repair 40 January 23rd 14 09:11 PM
Ethernet Conduit RJH[_2_] UK diy 44 May 1st 13 07:54 AM
Ethernet over 2 CU's T i m UK diy 9 August 13th 10 09:03 PM
Ethernet Hub [email protected] Electronic Schematics 1 October 25th 08 05:51 PM