Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Two sided privacy door knob for connecting door

I'm looking for a door knob set that can be locked from either side
without a key, for basically the same situation as described he
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...6193440AAcXnvc
(i.e. door between bedroom and bathroom, both rooms also have doors
to landing, so someone who goes into bathroom from landing can lock
out the bedroom user, and vice versa, or bedroom user can lock the
bathroom landing door and use it as an en-suite.
If someone locks the door from one side and forgets to unlock it
beore leaving by landing door, someone on the other side can go
round using both landing doors so there's no need for the "insert
pin/screwdriver here" override on a standard bathroom knob.
In my case, the landing doors exist, the connecting door is still
hypothetical.)

Anyone got any more helpful suggestions on what I should be searching for?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 06 Oct 2014 18:13:53 +0100, Alan Braggins wrote:

Anyone got any more helpful suggestions on what I should be searching
for?

One of these on each side?
http://snipurl.com/29bj718
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Adrian wrote:
On Mon, 06 Oct 2014 18:13:53 +0100, Alan Braggins wrote:

Anyone got any more helpful suggestions on what I should be searching
for?

One of these on each side? http://snipurl.com/29bj718

That's the fallback solution, and will be cheaper, but knowing that the
neater solution exists but not being able to find it is annoying me.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Use these on both doors

http://www.screwfix.com/p/jedo-thumb...ome-50mm/68810

Or

http://www.screwfix.com/p/serozzetta...n-chrome/98626

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tricky Dicky wrote:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/jedo-thumb...ome-50mm/68810

Could you buy two of those and use the thumb parts on both sides of the
room-to-room door?

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/10/2014 18:13, Alan Braggins wrote:
I'm looking for a door knob set that can be locked from either side
without a key, for basically the same situation as described he
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...6193440AAcXnvc
(i.e. door between bedroom and bathroom, both rooms also have doors
to landing, so someone who goes into bathroom from landing can lock
out the bedroom user, and vice versa, or bedroom user can lock the
bathroom landing door and use it as an en-suite.
If someone locks the door from one side and forgets to unlock it
beore leaving by landing door, someone on the other side can go
round using both landing doors so there's no need for the "insert
pin/screwdriver here" override on a standard bathroom knob.
In my case, the landing doors exist, the connecting door is still
hypothetical.)

Anyone got any more helpful suggestions on what I should be searching for?

It sounds as though you want door furniture for an interconnecting door
between rooms in an hotel, although, IME, they are as likely as not
simply to have a sliding bolt on both sides of the door. Sliding bolts
have the advantage that they only need a simple visual check to see
whether or not the door is locked.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/10/2014 19:04, Mike Barnes wrote:
Tricky Dicky wrote:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/jedo-thumb...ome-50mm/68810

Could you buy two of those and use the thumb parts on both sides of the
room-to-room door?

The way they work, that would allow it to be unlocked from both sides,
irrespective of which side it had been locked from, which I don't think
is the idea.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Alan Braggins" wrote in message
I'm looking for a door knob set that can be locked from either side
without a key, for basically the same situation as described he
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...6193440AAcXnvc
(i.e. door between bedroom and bathroom, both rooms also have doors
to landing, so someone who goes into bathroom from landing can lock
out the bedroom user, and vice versa, or bedroom user can lock the
bathroom landing door and use it as an en-suite.
If someone locks the door from one side and forgets to unlock it
beore leaving by landing door, someone on the other side can go
round using both landing doors so there's no need for the "insert
pin/screwdriver here" override on a standard bathroom knob.
In my case, the landing doors exist, the connecting door is still
hypothetical.)

Anyone got any more helpful suggestions on what I should be searching for?

Just an ordinary bolt on both sides

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/10/2014 19:36, "Nightjar \"cpb\""@ insert my surname here wrote:
On 06/10/2014 18:13, Alan Braggins wrote:
I'm looking for a door knob set that can be locked from either side
without a key, for basically the same situation as described he
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...6193440AAcXnvc
(i.e. door between bedroom and bathroom, both rooms also have doors
to landing, so someone who goes into bathroom from landing can lock
out the bedroom user, and vice versa, or bedroom user can lock the
bathroom landing door and use it as an en-suite.
If someone locks the door from one side and forgets to unlock it
beore leaving by landing door, someone on the other side can go
round using both landing doors so there's no need for the "insert
pin/screwdriver here" override on a standard bathroom knob.

There probably is for example if you end up with granny stuck on the
bathroom floor after a fall for instance....

Ones that have a "locked" indicator on both sides are more reassuring.

In my case, the landing doors exist, the connecting door is still
hypothetical.)

Anyone got any more helpful suggestions on what I should be searching
for?

It sounds as though you want door furniture for an interconnecting door
between rooms in an hotel, although, IME, they are as likely as not
simply to have a sliding bolt on both sides of the door. Sliding bolts
have the advantage that they only need a simple visual check to see
whether or not the door is locked.

And if you are doing it in a situation where you might at some stage
have to break the door down in the event of granny having a fall you can
either saw and soft solder or just epoxy the catch side down.

The objective being to prevent an accidental opening of the door but
always allow you access without too much brute force in an emergency.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tricky Dicky wrote:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/jedo-thumb...ome-50mm/68810

Could you buy two of those and use the thumb parts on both sides of the
room-to-room door?

The way they work, that would allow it to be unlocked from both sides,
irrespective of which side it had been locked from, which I don't think
is the idea.

You're right that that would be possible but I was imagining (perhaps
wrongly) that the users would act responsibly. If the user in the hall
found the door locked and there was no response to a knock, they could
unlock the door without having to go through the bedroom.

Speaking for myself I much prefer a solution where the door can be seen
to be locked (or not) without trying it.

But it's a minefield, for sure.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, October 6, 2014 6:59:02 PM UTC+1, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Use these on both doors
http://www.screwfix.com/p/jedo-thumb...ome-50mm/68810

Yes.

Use two separate (one each way) on the bedroom door, if it's desired to also lock the bedroom door against people entering from landing via the bathroom.

If a more 'on demand' arrangement is desired then electronic circuits are available for twin maglocks for jack-and-jill bathrooms, enabling access from either end but prohibiting through access.

http://www.alianelectronics.com.au/s...ck-system.html

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

As someone who had considered the idea there is very little information
apart from having two standard bathroom locks where each party must
remember to unlock the other's side!

If you want to look further, a typical term for this style of bathroom
is a "Jack and Jill bathroom".

I did come across this, but there may be others:
http://www.hoyles.com/access/shared-...solutions.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Monday, October 6, 2014 6:59:02 PM UTC+1, Tricky Dicky wrote:
Use these on both doors
http://www.screwfix.com/p/jedo-thumb...ome-50mm/68810

Yes.

Use two separate (one each way) on the bedroom door, if it's desired to
also lock the bedroom door against people entering from landing via the
bathroom.

If a more 'on demand' arrangement is desired then electronic circuits are
available for twin maglocks for jack-and-jill bathrooms, enabling access
from either end but prohibiting through access.

http://www.alianelectronics.com.au/s...ck-system.html

Pity about the price.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Alan Braggins wrote:
I'm looking for a door knob set that can be locked from either side
without a key, for basically the same situation as described he
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...6193440AAcXnvc
(i.e. door between bedroom and bathroom, both rooms also have doors
to landing, so someone who goes into bathroom from landing can lock
out the bedroom user, and vice versa, or bedroom user can lock the
bathroom landing door and use it as an en-suite.
If someone locks the door from one side and forgets to unlock it
beore leaving by landing door, someone on the other side can go
round using both landing doors so there's no need for the "insert
pin/screwdriver here" override on a standard bathroom knob.
In my case, the landing doors exist, the connecting door is still
hypothetical.)

Anyone got any more helpful suggestions on what I should be searching for

Sound like a 'knock before entering' sign would be more useful. If you can
easily unlock it from either side not much point in having a lock.
Especially if it can be left locked with no one in the room.

--
*I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I have a "through loo" with doors at each end. My solution is to use
"commercial" type loo bolts with a knob on the inside and an
"engaged/vacant" dial plus an emergency release slot on the outside
which can be undone with a coin. This provides appropriate
privacy/security plus lets you get in from either side when the occupant
has left by the other side forgetting to unlock both doors. (For a while
I had fantasies about electric bolts on a common supply, but sense
prevailed).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at
11:41:16 on Tue, 7 Oct 2014, newshound
remarked:
Anyone got any more helpful suggestions on what I should be searching for?

I have a "through loo" with doors at each end. My solution is to use
"commercial" type loo bolts with a knob on the inside and an
"engaged/vacant" dial plus an emergency release slot on the outside
which can be undone with a coin. This provides appropriate
privacy/security plus lets you get in from either side when the
occupant has left by the other side forgetting to unlock both doors.
(For a while I had fantasies about electric bolts on a common supply,
but sense prevailed).

Another trick might be to have a pilot light outside each door in
parallel with the bathroom light. Most such bathrooms I've seen don't
have an external window, so the light being "off" is a reasonable
indication that it's unoccupied.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Martin Brown wrote:
On 06/10/2014 19:36, "Nightjar \"cpb\""@ insert my surname here wrote:
On 06/10/2014 18:13, Alan Braggins wrote:

[...]
If someone locks the door from one side and forgets to unlock it
beore leaving by landing door, someone on the other side can go
round using both landing doors so there's no need for the "insert
pin/screwdriver here" override on a standard bathroom knob.

There probably is for example if you end up with granny stuck on the
bathroom floor after a fall for instance....

If the bathroom door from the landing allows an override in the normal
way, there's no need for the bedroom one to _also_ do so.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , "Nightjar wrote:
On 06/10/2014 18:13, Alan Braggins wrote:
I'm looking for a door knob set that can be locked from either side
without a key, for basically the same situation as described he
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...6193440AAcXnvc

[...]
Anyone got any more helpful suggestions on what I should be searching for?

It sounds as though you want door furniture for an interconnecting door
between rooms in an hotel, although, IME, they are as likely as not
simply to have a sliding bolt on both sides of the door.

Yes, but related search terms so far give me pages of information on
connecting wires to electronic door locks, or this sort of bolt:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-x-M4-sc...-/131213284438

I was hoping someone would know terminology that improved the search
precision.

Sliding bolts
have the advantage that they only need a simple visual check to see
whether or not the door is locked.

There is that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Fredxxx wrote:
On 06/10/2014 18:13, Alan Braggins wrote:
I'm looking for a door knob set that can be locked from either side
without a key, for basically the same situation as described he
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...6193440AAcXnvc

[...]
As someone who had considered the idea there is very little information
apart from having two standard bathroom locks where each party must
remember to unlock the other's side!

If you want to look further, a typical term for this style of bathroom
is a "Jack and Jill bathroom".

I did come across this, but there may be others:
http://www.hoyles.com/access/shared-...solutions.html

Thaks. Well it's cheaper than the estimate on
http://www.houseplanshelper.com/jack..._and_jill_lock

But at the moment it's looking like two slide bolts on the connecting door
it is....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/10/2014 14:05, Alan Braggins wrote:
In article , "Nightjar wrote:
On 06/10/2014 18:13, Alan Braggins wrote:
I'm looking for a door knob set that can be locked from either side
without a key, for basically the same situation as described he
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...6193440AAcXnvc

[...]
Anyone got any more helpful suggestions on what I should be searching for?

It sounds as though you want door furniture for an interconnecting door
between rooms in an hotel, although, IME, they are as likely as not
simply to have a sliding bolt on both sides of the door.

Yes, but related search terms so far give me pages of information on
connecting wires to electronic door locks, or this sort of bolt:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-x-M4-sc...-/131213284438

I was hoping someone would know terminology that improved the search
precision.

Unfortunately, no and the architectural ironmongers I used to use, who
would certainly have known, closed a couple of years ago. Now you
mention it, I don't recall when I last used an hotel that didn't use key
card locks, so an electronic lock on an interconnecting door would make
sense for them.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nightjar \"cpb\""@ insert my surname here wrote:
I don't recall when I last used an hotel that didn't use key
card locks.

I'd have said the same (give or take an "n") until last weekend when I
was given a real key. It took me a while to realise what was strange
about it.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Alan Braggins wrote:
In article , Fredxxx wrote:
On 06/10/2014 18:13, Alan Braggins wrote:
I'm looking for a door knob set that can be locked from either side
without a key, for basically the same situation as described he
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...6193440AAcXnvc

[...]
As someone who had considered the idea there is very little information
apart from having two standard bathroom locks where each party must
remember to unlock the other's side!

If you want to look further, a typical term for this style of bathroom
is a "Jack and Jill bathroom".

I did come across this, but there may be others:
http://www.hoyles.com/access/shared-...solutions.html

Thaks. Well it's cheaper than the estimate on
http://www.houseplanshelper.com/jack..._and_jill_lock

But at the moment it's looking like two slide bolts on the connecting
door it is....

Still no help if the door is left locked and the occupant exits by the
other door. As is bound to happen.

The only foolproof method would be some form of electronic logic control.

--
*Caution: I drive like you do.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/10/2014 15:36, Mike Barnes wrote:
"Nightjar \"cpb\""@ insert my surname here wrote:
I don't recall when I last used an hotel that didn't use key
card locks.

I'd have said the same (give or take an "n")

If you had had the same English teacher as I did, you would know there
is no give or take where a word starting with a mute H is concerned. :-)

until last weekend when I
was given a real key. It took me a while to realise what was strange
about it.

Perhaps it was the ball and chain (or similar) that most hotel keys used
to have attached to stop guests walking off with them.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Add 3 coloured panels for text and some led's, and you could have an army
style alert state indicator on each door,

When the bathroom light is turned on, it illuminates the red 'Poo in
progress' signs,
then after the light has been turned off, but the fan is on the overrun, the
yellow sign with 'i'd give it 10 minutes if i were you' is lit,
And after the fan has turned off, the green 'all clear' sign lights.

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

/
20:11Gazz
Add 3 coloured panels for text and some led's, and you could have an army
style alert state indicator on each door,

When the bathroom light is turned on, it illuminates the red 'Poo in
progress' signs,
then after the light has been turned off, but the fan is on the overrun, the
yellow sign with 'i'd give it 10 minutes if i were you' is lit,
And after the fan has turned off, the green 'all clear' sign lights/q

Liking it :-):-):-)

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gazz wrote

Add 3 coloured panels for text and some led's, and you could have an army
style alert state indicator on each door,

When the bathroom light is turned on, it illuminates the red 'Poo in
progress' signs,

Makes more sense to use a movement sensor for that.

then after the light has been turned off, but the fan is on the overrun,
the yellow sign with 'i'd give it 10 minutes if i were you' is lit,

Makes more sense to have a movement sensor do that too.

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:
When the bathroom light is turned on, it illuminates the red 'Poo in
progress' signs,

Makes more sense to use a movement sensor for that.

That's rather good. First sign of a sense of humour from you ever.

--
*Husband and cat lost -- reward for cat

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

2 of these energised when the bathroom light is turned on?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/deedlock-a...k-12-24v/72119
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, October 6, 2014 at 8:13:53 PM UTC+3, Alan Braggins wrote:
I'm looking for a door knob set that can be locked from either side
without a key, for basically the same situation as described he
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...6193440AAcXnvc
(i.e. door between bedroom and bathroom, both rooms also have doors
to landing, so someone who goes into bathroom from landing can lock
out the bedroom user, and vice versa, or bedroom user can lock the
bathroom landing door and use it as an en-suite.
If someone locks the door from one side and forgets to unlock it
beore leaving by landing door, someone on the other side can go
round using both landing doors so there's no need for the "insert
pin/screwdriver here" override on a standard bathroom knob.
In my case, the landing doors exist, the connecting door is still
hypothetical.)

Anyone got any more helpful suggestions on what I should be searching for?

Hello! If you're looking for a door knob set that can be locked from either side without a key, then you'll definitely like this https://vizilok.com/collections/comm...-door-hardware type of commercial door hardware to install on the door to bring privacy to your place. No matter what type of business you run or is it just for home use - they fit all types of surfaces and design. Try this website, they have discounts at the moment.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

2014?
Has somebody been locked in the loo all that time?
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
wrote in message
[...]

Privacy door haandle problem The Wanderer[_2_] UK diy 2 July 22nd 09 02:53 PM
knob came off mirror door desgnr[_2_] Home Repair 4 May 5th 09 01:31 PM
Door knob CJC UK diy 3 November 22nd 06 01:50 PM
Door knob set Lawrie UK diy 3 March 28th 06 01:20 AM
Door knob problem Home Repair 1 December 5th 05 06:31 PM