Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT ish; Chromebook

Do any of the many clever people here have a view on the Chromebook? I
understand it uses a different operating system? e.g. not Microsoft?

In plain English please :-)

If you have a decent internet connection, and want to do basic web
surfing, email and other day to day computing stuff and have no
absolute need to run specific microsoft applications, then they can be
very good.

They are aimed at people who just want to get on a do stuff, and don't
want to get involved in any technicalities keeping them running. Google
takes care of making sure you have all the latest software, and patches,
and there is very little fussing about to keep them working. Basically a
laptop that "just works". They boot fast, don't need to be hugely
powerful (the complicated stuff can be done on google's servers) hence
they are quite cheap. No need to worry about anti virus etc.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/10/2014 18:33, Dennis@home wrote:
8

Or a networked storage device I'd gay.

A homebase worker?

homobase perhaps?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/10/2014 11:27, A.Lee wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Do any of the many clever people here have a view on the Chromebook? I
understand it uses a different operating system? e.g. not Microsoft?

Linux operating system for mobile devices, including some laptops

Technically "ChromeOS" which has a Linux kernal, but it not your typical
Linux distribution.

(you can download something similar for PCs called ChomiumOS if you want
to try it).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/10/2014 23:49, John Rumm wrote:
On 04/10/2014 18:33, Dennis@home wrote:
8

Or a networked storage device I'd gay.

A homebase worker?

homobase perhaps?

Careful John, you'll be accused of being homo(base)phobic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/10/2014 23:46, John Rumm wrote:

Do any of the many clever people here have a view on the Chromebook? I
understand it uses a different operating system? e.g. not Microsoft?

In plain English please :-)

If you have a decent internet connection, and want to do basic web
surfing, email and other day to day computing stuff and have no absolute
need to run specific microsoft applications, then they can be very good.

Encouraging. All I really want is to word process, use spreadsheets,
surf the net & send/receive e mail.

They are aimed at people who just want to get on a do stuff, and don't
want to get involved in any technicalities keeping them running. Google
takes care of making sure you have all the latest software, and patches,
and there is very little fussing about to keep them working. Basically a
laptop that "just works". They boot fast, don't need to be hugely
powerful (the complicated stuff can be done on google's servers) hence
they are quite cheap. No need to worry about anti virus etc.

Five minutes after I replied to your post, my PC crashed. Blue screen
telling me there was an error of some sort.

I guess I can store stuff on an external hard drive?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/10/2014 00:40, Bill wrote:
In message ,
newshound writes
On 04/10/2014 21:33, curious wrote:
Asus transformer pad anadoid 4.4 getting one soon best of both worlds
use King office good compromise.

I'm inclined to agree. I think that designs are converging, and
android manufacturers are starting to realise the folly of adding
bloat. Kingsoft is one of the better ones for compatability with Word
(and business is still dominated by Word).

Have the tablets + keyboards sorted out the problem of all the weight
being in the tablet and thus not being well balanced when using the
keyboard in anything but absolutely ideal conditions (eg on your knee)?

No.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Maybe. It might need external power. You *should* be able to store on a
USB stick but an even better bet would be an SD card (if there is a
slot) because it doesn't "stick out". 32 GB not much more than a tenner.
But, at least on my wife's, it is more fiddly to do that than use the
default storage location. I gave up trying to teach her how to do it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/10/2014 16:00, newshound wrote:
[...]

Some of them now don't even seem to have USB ports. Our 2012 Samsung has
USB2, USB3, HDMI, and SD.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/10/2014 23:49, John Rumm wrote:
On 04/10/2014 18:33, Dennis@home wrote:
8

Or a networked storage device I'd gay.

A homebase worker?

homobase perhaps?

Careful John, you'll be accused of being homo(base)phobic.

Yeah, not fond all all those throw cushions and pot plants...

I prefer Wicks ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

/Yeah, not fond all all those throw cushions and pot plants...

I prefer Wicks ;-) /q

Is that rhyming slang?

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/10/2014 10:12, Bod wrote:

Can you print from a Chromebook from any printer?

What?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 07 Oct 2014 09:11:34 +0100, HarpingOn wrote:

On 05/10/2014 10:12, Bod wrote:
Can you print from a Chromebook from any printer?

What?

ITHM "to".

Can you print to a chromebook from any printer?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/10/2014 09:11, HarpingOn wrote:
On 05/10/2014 10:12, Bod wrote:

Can you print from a Chromebook from any printer?

What?

I mean't "to any printer"

11 Jan 2014 - "Trying to print from a Chromebook can be an adventure
seeing as how you can't actually plug the printer directly to it".
Instead you've got to use ...
http://www.gizmag.com/essential-tips...omebook/32431/

*In other words, you can only print from *the cloud*.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/10/2014 10:12, Bod wrote:

Can you print from a Chromebook from any printer?

What?

I mean't "to any printer"

Sure. I have four printers in the house, only one of which has google
cloud print support built in, but I can print to any one I want.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/10/2014 10:12, Bod wrote:
Can you print from a Chromebook from any printer?

What?

ITHM "to".

Can you print to a chromebook from any printer?

Or even..

Can you print from a chromebook to any printer?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 07 Oct 2014 10:28:27 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Can you print from a Chromebook from any printer?

What?

ITHM "to".

Can you print to a chromebook from any printer?

Or even..

Can you print from a chromebook to any printer?

Yes, dear. Thank you, dear.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/10/2014 10:12, Bod wrote:

Can you print from a Chromebook from any printer?

What?

I mean't "to any printer"

Sure. I have four printers in the house, only one of which has google
cloud print support built in, but I can print to any one I want.

It seems a bit longwinded to have to send data to the cloud to be able
to print something. If I want to print something, I usually want it
printed immediately.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/10/2014 11:37, Bod wrote:

It seems a bit longwinded to have to send data to the cloud to be able
to print something. If I want to print something, I usually want it
printed immediately.

It happens as immediately as any other method of printing to a networked
printer. Have you used one?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/10/14 12:15, HarpingOn wrote:
On 07/10/2014 11:37, Bod wrote:

It seems a bit longwinded to have to send data to the cloud to be able
to print something. If I want to print something, I usually want it
printed immediately.

It happens as immediately as any other method of printing to a networked
printer. Have you used one?

Hmm. no, but I can easily send a massive PDF file to my personal 'cloud'
server up my 448Kbps DSL line and then back down to my networked printer.

However its about 200 times faster to use the 100Mbps Ethernet in the
house itself.

I suspect the chrome philosophy is that your data is already IN the
cloud somewhere else, where it will be formatted and sent back to you to
stream to a printer.

it like the old days when you had just a dumb terminal, and the printer
was in the basement, and you had to wait an hour before collecting the
2kg of fan fold.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/10/2014 12:15, HarpingOn wrote:
On 07/10/2014 11:37, Bod wrote:

It seems a bit longwinded to have to send data to the cloud to be able
to print something. If I want to print something, I usually want it
printed immediately.

It happens as immediately as any other method of printing to a networked
printer. Have you used one?

No.
So are you saying that you *don't* have to upload what you want to print
first now?
My upload speed is abysmally slow, so I've stopped using the cloud.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/10/2014 12:42, Bod wrote:

No.
So are you saying that you *don't* have to upload what you want to print
first now?

Never said that.

My upload speed is abysmally slow, so I've stopped using the cloud.

Probably helps that my internet connection is 12Mbps upstream, so
without actually measuring it to the half second or something, for all
practical purposes it's the same as printing locally
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/10/2014 11:37, Bod wrote:

It seems a bit longwinded to have to send data to the cloud to be able
to print something. If I want to print something, I usually want it
printed immediately.

It happens as immediately as any other method of printing to a networked
printer. Have you used one?

No.
So are you saying that you *don't* have to upload what you want to print
first now?
My upload speed is abysmally slow, so I've stopped using the cloud.

There was a period recently when I imagine every bugger decided to
upload every picture they'd ever taken just to use their allowance.
Google managed to show reassuring progress messages but IME only
uploaded a few randomly selected files. A total shambles. I'll stick to
Dropbox and a thumb drive I think.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/10/2014 13:01, HarpingOn wrote:
On 07/10/2014 12:42, Bod wrote:

No.
So are you saying that you *don't* have to upload what you want to print
first now?

Never said that.

My upload speed is abysmally slow, so I've stopped using the cloud.

Probably helps that my internet connection is 12Mbps upstream, so
without actually measuring it to the half second or something, for all
practical purposes it's the same as printing locally

Ah, a massive difference to mine. I only get 0.70Mbs up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/10/2014 11:37, Bod wrote:

It seems a bit longwinded to have to send data to the cloud to be able
to print something. If I want to print something, I usually want it
printed immediately.

It happens as immediately as any other method of printing to a networked
printer. Have you used one?

No.
So are you saying that you *don't* have to upload what you want to print
first now?
My upload speed is abysmally slow, so I've stopped using the cloud.

There was a period recently when I imagine every bugger decided to
upload every picture they'd ever taken just to use their allowance.
Google managed to show reassuring progress messages but IME only
uploaded a few randomly selected files. A total shambles. I'll stick to
Dropbox and a thumb drive I think.

With HDD's so cheap now, it's much easier/quicker and more convenient to
load them onto an ext drive or a USB stick. Then you can print any
files whenever you want without having to be online.
If there's any photos I want to share whilst I'm at a friend or
relatives house, I just pop them on a Pen drive before I go.
Imagine your internet going down and you wanted to access your photos in
the cloud to show someone or print them out. How frustrating.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Adrian wrote:
On Sat, 04 Oct 2014 13:57:44 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

If I used a memory stick with a WORD doc for example, would I be able to
read/edit it?

Yes, of course - but you'd have to be online to use Google Docs to do so.
THAT's the big problem with Chromebooks, not whether they're MS or not.

While Chromebook is largely based around the assumption that the cloud is
great and everyone is happily connected to their Google account the whole
time, Google Docs has had offline editing support for a few years:
https://support.google.com/chromeboo...14688?hl=en-GB
https://support.google.com/chromeboo...09731?hl=en-GB
http://www.cnet.com/uk/how-to/how-to...-docs-offline/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andy Burns wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Do any of the many clever people here have a view on the Chromebook? I
understand it uses a different operating system? e.g. not Microsoft?

It isn't Microsoft, it's Linux (but the idea is the user shouldn't care
what it is, it just keeps itself updated and they simply use it) so if
you run any software that's specifically Windows only, it won't run that
obviously.

While Chrome OS is based on the Linux kernel, you can't run random Linux
software on one either, any more than you can on an Android phone.
You need Chromebook specific apps:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrome_OS
https://support.google.com/chromeboo...56325?hl=en-GB

(Or web based apps that run within the browser. Which apparently includes
Libre Office, if you trust a Beta cloud provider:
https://www.rollapp.com/chrome )

You _can_ run a full GNU/Linux distribution alongside Chrome OS, but that's
not easy for the typical user, any more than putting GNU/Linux on a phone is:
http://www.howtogeek.com/162120/how-...-with-crouton/

You can also run Android apps on a Chromebook. At least four of them are
actually promised to work already:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/26058...roid-apps.html
http://www.pcworld.com/article/26867...this-hack.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 07 Oct 2014 15:12:53 +0100, Alan Braggins wrote:

While Chromebook is largely based around the assumption that the cloud
is great and everyone is happily connected to their Google account the
whole time, Google Docs has had offline editing support for a few years:

http://www.zdnet.com/what-chromebook...ne-7000027307/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/10/2014 10:12, Bod wrote:

Can you print from a Chromebook from any printer?

What?

Only the latest 3D ones.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Bod wrote:

Can you print from a Chromebook from any printer?

No. Modern printers will generally be "Cloud Ready", but older printers
you will need another computer running as a print server. In some cases
this might be something like a NAS box or media server you were going to
run the whole time anyway.

If your reaction is "fine, I have a Pi anyway", or "good, I was looking
for an excuse to buy a Pi to play with", fine. If your reaction is
"what, I have to have another computer just to print, or buy a new printer",
then a Chromebook isn't for you.

https://support.google.com/chrome/an...69693?hl=en-GB
https://support.google.com/a/answer/2906017?hl=en
http://www.howtogeek.com/169566/how-...-print-server/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

/
Snip

If your reaction is "fine, I have a Pi anyway", or "good, I was looking for an excuse to buy a Pi to play with", fine. If your reaction is "what, I have to have another computer just to print, or buy a new printer", then a Chromebook isn't for you./q

On android you can download a printer "driver" (from playstore good ones a few quid) and print from tablets etc wirelessly.

Reading upthread about tweaking chrome to run a few android apps... Could these two be combined somehow to bodge a workaround?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/10/2014 11:37, Bod wrote:

[...]

Indeed. My latest printer (lexmark) has a USB socket on the front and,
although I havn't tried it, I believe if you plug a stick in then
thumbnails and a menu come up on the printer screen for selection and
printing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/10/2014 11:37, Bod wrote:

[...]

Yes, that can be handy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , JimK wrote:
/
Snip

If your reaction is "fine, I have a Pi anyway", or "good, I was looking for an excuse to buy a Pi to play with", fine. If your reaction is "what, I have to have another computer just to print, or buy a new printer", then a Chromebook isn't for you./q

On android you can download a printer "driver" (from playstore good ones a few quid) and print from tablets etc wirelessly.

Reading upthread about tweaking chrome to run a few android apps... Could these two be combined somehow to bodge a workaround?

Possibly, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Or you could install Crouton, use print-to-PDF on ChromeOS, switch to Ubuntu and print from that. But doing
that regularly just to be able to print would be mad.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/10/2014 11:37, Bod wrote:

[...]

An hour? Luxury! When I started work you could submit a couple of jobs a
day on cards, the code went down the line to London where (if the JCL
was OK, it ran and printed) and a courier brought a van load of printout
back by the next morning.