Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Loft insulating boards

I'm looking for insulation boards to put on the joists
in my loft, over mineral wool between the joists.

Years ago I bought a few Space Board ECO boards.
made I believe by Knauf insulation.
But I haven't been able to source these recently,
and I wondered if anyone had advice on good alternatives?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/10/14 12:46, Timothy Murphy wrote:
I'm looking for insulation boards to put on the joists
in my loft, over mineral wool between the joists.

Years ago I bought a few Space Board ECO boards.
made I believe by Knauf insulation.
But I haven't been able to source these recently,
and I wondered if anyone had advice on good alternatives?

Any variation of celotex PIR insulation?

One question though - do you have breathable roofing membrane, because
if not, you will have to check that you have adequate ventilation for
the roof timbers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

I'm looking for insulation boards to put on the joists
in my loft, over mineral wool between the joists.

Any variation of celotex PIR insulation?

Thanks for the suggestion - I'll look into that.

One question though - do you have breathable roofing membrane, because
if not, you will have to check that you have adequate ventilation for
the roof timbers.

Actually, I'm thinking of this for two properties.
One is our early victorian cottage, which will definitely not have
this problem, as the slates are not felted (probably should be?).

The other is my daughter's fairly recent (maybe 20 years old)
terraced house, where there could be a problem,
though I think there is a gap at the eaves.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
School of Mathematics, Trinity College, Dublin 2, Ireland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/10/2014 14:27, Timothy Murphy wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:

I'm looking for insulation boards to put on the joists
in my loft, over mineral wool between the joists.

Any variation of celotex PIR insulation?

Thanks for the suggestion - I'll look into that.

One question though - do you have breathable roofing membrane, because
if not, you will have to check that you have adequate ventilation for
the roof timbers.

Actually, I'm thinking of this for two properties.
One is our early victorian cottage, which will definitely not have
this problem, as the slates are not felted (probably should be?).

The other is my daughter's fairly recent (maybe 20 years old)
terraced house, where there could be a problem,
though I think there is a gap at the eaves.

It ought not be an issue with insulation on the floor joists. This tends
to be more of a problem if insulating the underside of the rafters.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/10/14 14:38, John Rumm wrote:

It ought not be an issue with insulation on the floor joists. This tends
to be more of a problem if insulating the underside of the rafters.

I assumed that was what the OP was doing???

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

It ought not be an issue with insulation on the floor joists. This tends
to be more of a problem if insulating the underside of the rafters.

I assumed that was what the OP was doing???

No, nothing as complicated as that.
Just laying boards on the attic floor joists.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
School of Mathematics, Trinity College, Dublin 2, Ireland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Watts
writes
On 03/10/14 14:38, John Rumm wrote:

It ought not be an issue with insulation on the floor joists. This tends
to be more of a problem if insulating the underside of the rafters.

I assumed that was what the OP was doing???

Nope, he said it was to go over the jpists
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/10/14 14:27, Timothy Murphy wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:

I'm looking for insulation boards to put on the joists
in my loft, over mineral wool between the joists.

Any variation of celotex PIR insulation?

Thanks for the suggestion - I'll look into that.

One question though - do you have breathable roofing membrane, because
if not, you will have to check that you have adequate ventilation for
the roof timbers.

Actually, I'm thinking of this for two properties.
One is our early victorian cottage, which will definitely not have
this problem, as the slates are not felted (probably should be?).

That's fine. No membrane is OK.

The other is my daughter's fairly recent (maybe 20 years old)
terraced house, where there could be a problem,
though I think there is a gap at the eaves.

The BCO told me to either have a 25mm gap under breathable membrane or a
50mm gap under sarking AND vents in the soffits and at/near the ridge.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/10/2014 12:46, Timothy Murphy wrote:
I'm looking for insulation boards to put on the joists
in my loft, over mineral wool between the joists.

Years ago I bought a few Space Board ECO boards.
made I believe by Knauf insulation.
But I haven't been able to source these recently,
and I wondered if anyone had advice on good alternatives?

Any rigid PIR foam board... Celotex, Kingspan (both quite pricey),
Ecotherm, Rubberoid and quite a number of other makers. Look for a local
seconds place or try one of the online seconds suppliers. They are often
a third of the price of the big name ones.

--
Cheers,

John.

insulating draughty cavity under ground floor boards? Jim UK diy 58 December 28th 10 10:19 AM
Loft Insulation and boards Jason[_8_] UK diy 5 September 30th 09 11:00 AM
loft boards [email protected] UK diy 2 April 4th 07 09:48 PM
Insulating loft Adrian Simpson UK diy 18 March 6th 07 06:26 PM
Loft boards Kris UK diy 2 November 11th 03 02:03 PM