Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wiki: Felt roof repair

A first quick draft for feedback...

NT

Felt roof repair

This article addresses patch repairs of felt covered roofs.

Patch repair is doomed in the sense that once felt begins to go, it usually doesn't last well whatever you do. However its sometimes possible to get extra years before refelting is needed.

Patching

Make the surface onto which a new felt patch goes fairly even, felt always needs support. Clean any muck off. Better durability is gained by filling any cracks, holes etc with a bitumen based mix to provide an even-ish base. Apply a layer of bitumen adhesive/paint and apply the felt patch. Patches should have a good overlap to help keep it there. Paint more bitumen around and over the edges for maximum adhesion. Adding clout nails is optional - they attach felt well, but also pierce it.

Gloops

Various gloops can be bought for filling cracks. They seem to be largely on the optimistic side.

Home made felt patching

Basic roofing felt is only rag felt plus bitumen, plus a little sand on top.. This is easy enough to replicate using scrap material. Follow the method in 'patching' above, but use cloth in lieu of roof felt, painting it all over with bitumen once applied. A stippling brush action helps avoid the cloth moving.

Once done, throw sand onto it. This reduces heat absorption, avoiding the risk of it melting on a particuarly hot day. It also toughens up the surface to some degree.

Home made gloop

Filler for roof cracks etc is simple to make, using sand plus a little bitumen adhesive/paint. Gloop can't be counted on to repair a crack on its own, but may be used to create an even bed onto which new felt may be laid. It also acts as a secondary barrier to water.

See also
Bitumen

Categories: Roofing | Adhesives | Repair | Save Money | Sheds
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
A first quick draft for feedback...

What is 'gloop'? Do you mean gobbo?

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
Gloops

Various gloops can be bought for filling cracks. They seem to be largely
on the optimistic side.

I have a flat roof which is probably getting towards the end of its life
at 25+ years old. It is very well constructed with marine ply and the
correct 'lie' etc.

It developed a leak - but the felt appeared still to be in good condition.
The leak seemed to be at an edge where the felt is turned up under the
lead flashing, and had obviously cracked.

Treated the leaking area with Aquapol a couple of years ago - still fine.

Obviously if the felt is disintegrating the only decent repair would be
replacement.

--
*Real men don't waste their hormones growing hair

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 23 Sep 2014 13:12:34 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

[...]

What do you mean by a product being on the optimistic side?
If you mean the manufacturers claims about the product capabilities,
you should say that.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, September 24, 2014 11:59:53 PM UTC+1, Graham. wrote:
On Tue, 23 Sep 2014 13:12:34 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
A first quick draft for feedback...

What do you mean by a product being on the optimistic side?
If you mean the manufacturers claims about the product capabilities,
you should say that.

Thanks. That's been clarified on the wiki.
Latest version he
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...lt_roof_repair

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Felt roof repair

wrote in message
A first quick draft for feedback...

NT

Felt roof repair

I assume this means felt on outbuildings such as sheds and such likes?

anything like this on a felted flat roof wouldn't last five minutes.

Also, a word on cost effectiveness, a roll of mineral felt would usually
have to be bought to do these repairs, in which case it would probably be
quicker to strip the whole roof and use the roll to do the entire thing,
starting at the bottom of each side, obviously.

If you want a basic write up of how to re-felt a shed roof I'll sort it out
at weekend, does the wiki allow diagrams?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, September 25, 2014 8:13:09 PM UTC+1, Phil L wrote:
wrote in message

A first quick draft for feedback...
NT
Felt roof repair

I assume this means felt on outbuildings such as sheds and such likes?

pitched roofs, sheds garages etc.

anything like this on a felted flat roof wouldn't last five minutes.
Also, a word on cost effectiveness, a roll of mineral felt would usually
have to be bought to do these repairs, in which case it would probably be
quicker to strip the whole roof and use the roll to do the entire thing,
starting at the bottom of each side, obviously.

On the building in the pics it would have taken multiple rolls, plus there were several rotted spots of deck. Plus we didn't want new felt anyway, preferring something longer lived. We had a brief time window in which we realised we could patch it and leave reroofing a year or if lucky 2. There wasnt time to go get new felt and get it done, we had excess bedding on hand... job soon done.

If you want a basic write up of how to re-felt a shed roof I'll sort it out
at weekend, does the wiki allow diagrams?

Great. This is what we have so far:
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Roofing_felt
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...lt_roof_repair

Wiki does jpgs no problem. Max filesize is 250k, so I frequently reduce resolution on photos.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message

[...]

I didn't see that one, that seems to cover everything, no pun intended.

Although it doesn't give a 'start from scratch' method of actually felting a
roof, it gives enough information for anyone to do a shed roof adequately

Felt Roof repair Bill[_18_] UK diy 11 July 9th 10 09:18 PM
Felt roof repair - strip/tape? Geo[_2_] UK diy 2 June 17th 10 04:12 PM
Felt roof repair [email protected] UK diy 6 November 4th 09 10:05 AM
Shed roof repair, re-tile, fibreglass or felt? Zooologist UK diy 7 November 28th 04 06:48 PM
Roof Valley Repair - position of felt? Peter Hemmings UK diy 2 March 28th 04 03:54 PM