Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

Default Can a laptop LCD screen crack without abuse?

A neighbour has a laptop (Lenovo Edge E520) that has the classic LCD
shattered symptom, their kid says it's never been hit to cause this.

There is a defective item warranty on it. On the third year. What's the
likelihood of it being covered for a replacement screen?

Yesh, I know it's not an especially difficult job to DIY (done a fair
few), the screen is about £40 but if it's covered why pay?

I'll phone the warranty line tomorrow (it's a third party company - not
Lenovo) but for general interest - has anyone had luck with such a claim?

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 20 Sep 2014 19:47:44 +0100, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

A neighbour has a laptop (Lenovo Edge E520) that has the classic LCD
shattered symptom, their kid says it's never been hit to cause this.

There is a defective item warranty on it. On the third year. What's the
likelihood of it being covered for a replacement screen?

Yesh, I know it's not an especially difficult job to DIY (done a fair
few), the screen is about £40 but if it's covered why pay?

I'll phone the warranty line tomorrow (it's a third party company - not
Lenovo) but for general interest - has anyone had luck with such a
claim?

We claimed on a Lenovo after about 10 months. It was apparently a knwn
problem (not screen, but cracks near hinges). They accepted it all...took
about 2 weeks but good as new.

wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.
Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

Adrian Caspersz wrote:
A neighbour has a laptop (Lenovo Edge E520) that has the classic LCD
shattered symptom, their kid says it's never been hit to cause this.

He's shut a biro in it - second most common cause (probably.)

--
Scott

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

Its usually a wire, but nonetheless it should have enough give to cope I'd
have thought. The screen in my Dell seems to have some kind of rubber
mounting wotsits, and the lide does not fully close by design, as there are
small rubber feet to stop it doing so.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Scott M" wrote in message
Adrian Caspersz wrote:
A neighbour has a laptop (Lenovo Edge E520) that has the classic LCD
shattered symptom, their kid says it's never been hit to cause this.

He's shut a biro in it - second most common cause (probably.)

--
Scott

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

Adrian Caspersz wrote:

Yesh, I know it's not an especially difficult job to DIY (done a fair
few), the screen is about £40 but if it's covered why pay?

Getting a paid-for repair probably means sending the machine away; make sure
that someone has it properly insured and make sure that you have a backup of
any vital files on the machine, in case it never comes back.

If there's anything confidential on it, remove it before you send the
machine away.

to replacing "aaa" by "284".

Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On 9/20/2014 1:47 PM, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
A neighbour has a laptop (Lenovo Edge E520) that has the classic LCD
shattered symptom, their kid says it's never been hit to cause this.

There is a defective item warranty on it. On the third year. What's the
likelihood of it being covered for a replacement screen?

Yesh, I know it's not an especially difficult job to DIY (done a fair
few), the screen is about £40 but if it's covered why pay?

I'll phone the warranty line tomorrow (it's a third party company - not
Lenovo) but for general interest - has anyone had luck with such a claim?

As already mentioned leaving something on the keyboard when closing the
lid is the most common breakage but other things can occur.

If the hinges are extremely tight, just the fact of opening it can
fracture the screen, especially if one constantly opens it by pushing on
the same corner each time, rather than pushing it open from the center
of the screen.

Bumping into someone on public transportation while it is in one of
those flimsy cloth carrying cases (no padding) has been known to result
in the screen being broken when you get home and open it.

If you have the ability to "clone" the hard drive to another by using an
external monitor if needed would be a good idea. That way you could
restore things back to what it was in case the repair shop trashes or
adds something to the system while it is out of your sight.

And has already been mentioned have the neighbor remove anything they
don't want the repair shop to see, like financial info or other stuff
before taking it in for repair.

Laptop screen filler Bill[_18_] UK diy 3 September 2nd 13 05:59 PM
Cleaning laptop screen David WE Roberts[_4_] UK diy 37 March 18th 12 11:33 PM
laptop screen problem kent UK diy 13 February 22nd 09 09:06 PM
Laptop LCD screen problems Thomarse UK diy 7 August 18th 08 09:55 AM
Recycle Laptop Screen! [email protected] Electronics Repair 2 May 25th 06 09:51 PM