Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default "Stanley" Knife

I bought a JCB retracting blade utility knife: absolute crap - the
blade will not easily lock in the extended position. You apply
pressure and the blade goes back in to the body, unless you bugger
about and make sure that there is a definite click.
Any experience/recommendations/favourites for a replacement?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stanley wrote:
I bought a JCB retracting blade utility knife: absolute crap - the
blade will not easily lock in the extended position. You apply
pressure and the blade goes back in to the body, unless you bugger
about and make sure that there is a definite click.
Any experience/recommendations/favourites for a replacement?

I gave up on retractable blades years ago. Never did find one I got on with.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/09/2014 22:37, Mike Barnes wrote:
Stanley wrote:
I bought a JCB retracting blade utility knife: absolute crap - the
blade will not easily lock in the extended position. You apply
pressure and the blade goes back in to the body, unless you bugger
about and make sure that there is a definite click.
Any experience/recommendations/favourites for a replacement?

I gave up on retractable blades years ago. Never did find one I got on
with.

Agreed - I got a folding one. Bessey Folding Locking Utility Knife.

And I usually use Irwin blades - they seem less brittle, at least than
cheap ones.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 22:32:16 +0100, Stanley wrote:

I bought a JCB retracting blade utility knife: absolute crap - the blade
will not easily lock in the extended position. You apply pressure and
the blade goes back in to the body, unless you bugger about and make
sure that there is a definite click.
Any experience/recommendations/favourites for a replacement?

I use a retractable Stanley knife, after cutting myself once too often on
the 35 year old original one.

wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 Sep 2014 22:01:44 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 22:32:16 +0100, Stanley wrote:

I bought a JCB retracting blade utility knife: absolute crap - the blade
will not easily lock in the extended position. You apply pressure and
the blade goes back in to the body, unless you bugger about and make
sure that there is a definite click.
Any experience/recommendations/favourites for a replacement?

I use a retractable Stanley knife, after cutting myself once too often on
the 35 year old original one.

I use a non-retractable original Stanley knife. Having lost the little
blade protector clip yonks ago, I cut a slot in the side of a cello
peg button with a fretting saw and use that to stop accidental
self-mutilation.

Nick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 23:25:54 +0100, Nick Odell wrote:

On 15 Sep 2014 22:01:44 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 22:32:16 +0100, Stanley wrote:

I bought a JCB retracting blade utility knife: absolute crap - the
blade will not easily lock in the extended position. You apply
pressure and the blade goes back in to the body, unless you bugger
about and make sure that there is a definite click.
Any experience/recommendations/favourites for a replacement?

I use a retractable Stanley knife, after cutting myself once too often
on the 35 year old original one.

I use a non-retractable original Stanley knife. Having lost the little
blade protector clip yonks ago, I cut a slot in the side of a cello peg
button with a fretting saw and use that to stop accidental
self-mutilation.

I used several different things over the years too (e.g. champagne cork).
But the new knife has several 'stops' so yuou can expose just part of the
blade - also quite a safety feature.

wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nick Odell" wrote in message
On 15 Sep 2014 22:01:44 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 22:32:16 +0100, Stanley wrote:

I bought a JCB retracting blade utility knife: absolute crap - the blade
will not easily lock in the extended position. You apply pressure and
the blade goes back in to the body, unless you bugger about and make
sure that there is a definite click.
Any experience/recommendations/favourites for a replacement?

I use a retractable Stanley knife, after cutting myself once too often on
the 35 year old original one.

I use a non-retractable original Stanley knife. Having lost the little
blade protector clip yonks ago, I cut a slot in the side of a cello
peg button with a fretting saw and use that to stop accidental
self-mutilation.

Nick

I poke all three of mine (at least there are supposed to be three
somewhere) into cut off lengths of the cardboard roll you get inside
clingfilm and kitchen foil. If I was a marketing genius I suppose
I'd called these recycled scabbards.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nick Odell wrote:
On 15 Sep 2014 22:01:44 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 22:32:16 +0100, Stanley wrote:

I bought a JCB retracting blade utility knife: absolute crap - the blade
will not easily lock in the extended position. You apply pressure and
the blade goes back in to the body, unless you bugger about and make
sure that there is a definite click.
Any experience/recommendations/favourites for a replacement?

I use a retractable Stanley knife, after cutting myself once too often on
the 35 year old original one.

I use a non-retractable original Stanley knife. Having lost the little
blade protector clip yonks ago, I cut a slot in the side of a cello
peg button with a fretting saw and use that to stop accidental
self-mutilation.

I keep my No.199 naked but in its own special spot in the tool drawer,
unlike the other tools which are mostly thrown together in a semi-
organised fashion (e.g. cross head screwdrivers pointing one way and
slotted screwdrivers the other way).

On balance I think I stand less chance of cutting myself if I'm not
frequently protecting and unprotecting the blade.

--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike Barnes" wrote in message
Nick Odell wrote:
[...]

When the sheds first opened yonks ago, and started selling what might charitably be
described as "timber", or at least stuff that had grown on trees at some point
I realised that I would need to carry a Stanley knife in my pocket in order to
cut the plasic bands around the bundles.
And a retractable, even if I owned one would probably be a bit dangerous
when fumbling around in a pocket

And so I came up with this.

http://i62.tinypic.com/2ry3k46.jpg

I'd always imagined that the dinky little blade guards you got on Stanley Knives and
similar were simply part of the packaging so as prevent anything from being
cut by the bare blade in transit, same as the plastic guards nowadays fitted to
handsaws. And never considered they'd be much use in normal use.
"More trouble than they're worth being the operative term.

michael adams

Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nick Odell wrote:
[...]

In breaking news, the pen knife has been invented.....

:-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/09/2014 22:32, Stanley wrote:

I bought a JCB retracting blade utility knife: absolute crap - the
blade will not easily lock in the extended position. You apply
pressure and the blade goes back in to the body, unless you bugger
about and make sure that there is a definite click.
Any experience/recommendations/favourites for a replacement?

Buy one of these
http://cpc.farnell.com/stanley/99e/k...merch=Products
From This Range&MER=e-bb45-00001003

The only tool I've ever thrown away without it being broken or worn out
was a JCB jigsaw absolute rubbish!! I really thought that with a name
to protect it would at least have been 'reasonable' - my mistake.

Peter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/09/2014 23:19, Peter Andrews wrote:

The only tool I've ever thrown away without it being broken or worn out
was a JCB jigsaw absolute rubbish!! I really thought that with a name
to protect it would at least have been 'reasonable' - my mistake.

You have to consider what they they had a name for. It was never for
cheap Chinese hand/power tools.

These days if you see a well known brand on _ANYTHING_ you have to do
some research to see who now owns the brand and if its the whole range
or just one section of what the original company used to produce.
Re-badging of equipment is common place because many people are stupid
enough to have blind brand loyalty, irrespective of what the badge is
applied to. Some companies just own the brand names in order to badge
their cheap no-name imports. in many cases they own multiple brand names
so that they can badge identical equipment at different price points.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/09/2014 22:32, Stanley wrote:

I bought a JCB retracting blade utility knife: absolute crap - the
blade will not easily lock in the extended position. You apply
pressure and the blade goes back in to the body, unless you bugger
about and make sure that there is a definite click.
Any experience/recommendations/favourites for a replacement?

Yes. One of these;
http://www.amazon.co.uk/C-K-T0954-Fo.../dp/B00D4MTZVG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 16 Sep 2014 07:24:05 +0100, The Medway Handyman
wrote:

On 15/09/2014 22:32, Stanley wrote:

I bought a JCB retracting blade utility knife: absolute crap - the
blade will not easily lock in the extended position. You apply
pressure and the blade goes back in to the body, unless you bugger
about and make sure that there is a definite click.
Any experience/recommendations/favourites for a replacement?

Yes. One of these;
http://www.amazon.co.uk/C-K-T0954-Fo.../dp/B00D4MTZVG

Looks good: order placed.

Cheers

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 15/09/2014 22:32, Stanley wrote:

I bought a JCB retracting blade utility knife: absolute crap - the
blade will not easily lock in the extended position. You apply
pressure and the blade goes back in to the body, unless you bugger
about and make sure that there is a definite click.
Any experience/recommendations/favourites for a replacement?

Yes. One of these;
http://www.amazon.co.uk/C-K-T0954-Fo.../dp/B00D4MTZVG

Many thanks, just arrived. Awesome.

(It would be good if the blade holder sprung out when you pressed the
button. I could take it to the pub with me ;-)

Cheers - appreciated

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I bought a JCB retracting blade utility knife: absolute crap - the
blade will not easily lock in the extended position. You apply
pressure and the blade goes back in to the body, unless you bugger
about and make sure that there is a definite click.
Any experience/recommendations/favourites for a replacement?

JCB tools are generally poor. I use a genuine Stanley retractable, I've had
it for years, it works well.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/09/2014 08:10, Muddymike wrote:

JCB tools are generally poor. I use a genuine Stanley retractable, I've
had it for years, it works well.

The Stanley brand seems to be appearing on a lot of cheap tools.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote

On 16/09/2014 08:10, Muddymike wrote:

JCB tools are generally poor. I use a genuine Stanley retractable, I've
had it for years, it works well.

The Stanley brand seems to be appearing on a lot of cheap tools.

Part of Black and Decker, what do you expect

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stanley wrote

I bought a JCB retracting blade utility knife: absolute crap - the
blade will not easily lock in the extended position. You apply
pressure and the blade goes back in to the body, unless you bugger
about and make sure that there is a definite click.
Any experience/recommendations/favourites for a replacement?

Ask a carpet fitter. They're good for part used Stanley blades too.