Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Acoustic ventilation

I have purchased a flat that has (or perhaps I should say had) some
"acoustic vents" which are designed to let air through but keep sound out.
They have seen better days: some of them are rusty and all are ugly.

Is there a good modern equivalent that they could be replaced with?

To help explain what they are like I have posted some pictures at

http://jh-p.wikispaces.com/tsvents

I couldn't find a way to make the thumbnails on the website clickable so
click on the text to see the full picture. The so-called draught excluder is
just a metal plate that fits over the front of the box-shaped door.

You will see that they are active vents, i.e. have fans to blow air through.

I might be able to remove the vents completely and block them off. Indeed,
some of the neighbours report that they no longer have or use vents; they
just open the windows as needed. But the flat is near an airport and a road
so it might be best to replace the vents or at least to consider replacing
them before too much of the interior redecoration is done. Of course, one
danger of replacing them is of draughts coming in in the winter.

So, any suggestions for replacing the vents, or any general comments? I
would need something that would allow or force airflow on hot days but not
be draughty when the weather is cold.

Purely for curiosity are such vents common and/or what do people generally
do these days for flats in a noisy environment?

James

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Purely for curiosity are such vents common and/or what do people generally
do these days for flats in a noisy environment?

James

Can't answer your Q but similar vents were fitted to my parents place, near
Heathrow, years ago. They were offered free secondary glazing for noise
reduction purposes. A requirement was that active vents be fitted along with
the glazing. The vents, ugly as sin, were gradually removed as rooms were
redecorated.
HTH
Nick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, September 11, 2014 12:48:25 PM UTC+1, James Harris wrote:

[...]

First thing I'd consider is taking them out to dip strip & galv dip them.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/09/2014 12:48, James Harris wrote:
[...]

Greenwood do both active and passive acoustic vents:

http://www.greenwood.co.uk/range/36/...ntilation.html

Purely for curiosity are such vents common and/or what do people generally
do these days for flats in a noisy environment?

For preference, move somewhere else.

--
Colin Bignell