Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Repainting Georgian-style windows

.... the ones with all the wood bits between the panes. The main frame
strips fine with a heat gun, but I'm nervous of using it too near the
glass. And the paint does all have to come off - it's peeling in
patches. What's the easiest way to get it off? IIRC methylene chloride
paint stripper can't be bought any more.

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/08/2014 16:35, Vir Campestris wrote:
... the ones with all the wood bits between the panes. The main frame
strips fine with a heat gun, but I'm nervous of using it too near the
glass. And the paint does all have to come off - it's peeling in
patches. What's the easiest way to get it off? IIRC methylene chloride
paint stripper can't be bought any more.

I've done it with a gas blowlamp and a sheet of aluminium as a heat
deflector with the edge held against the putty and angled slightly away
from the glass. As you need one hand for the blowlamp and one for the
scraper, you really need a second person to hold the heat deflector.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/08/2014 16:35, Vir Campestris wrote:
... the ones with all the wood bits between the panes. The main frame
strips fine with a heat gun, but I'm nervous of using it too near the
glass. And the paint does all have to come off - it's peeling in
patches. What's the easiest way to get it off? IIRC methylene chloride
paint stripper can't be bought any more.

Andy

A sharp chisel dragged across the surface at 45 (or so) degs. Or several
pieces of 6mm glass cut into 4" squares by your local glazier (probably
for free)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/08/14 18:32, Nightjar "cpb"@ insert my surname here wrote:
On 27/08/2014 16:35, Vir Campestris wrote:
... the ones with all the wood bits between the panes. The main frame
strips fine with a heat gun, but I'm nervous of using it too near the
glass. And the paint does all have to come off - it's peeling in
patches. What's the easiest way to get it off? IIRC methylene chloride
paint stripper can't be bought any more.

I've done it with a gas blowlamp and a sheet of aluminium as a heat
deflector with the edge held against the putty and angled slightly away
from the glass. As you need one hand for the blowlamp and one for the
scraper, you really need a second person to hold the heat deflector.

A "george" is the fancy version of your bit of ali - and it works (with
reasonable care). Not sure if it's still sold as a tool.

My dad used to have an infra red electric stripper - a red hot element.
It was slow compared to a blowtorch or hot air gun but the theory was
that the IR tended not to heat the glass so it was moderately safe on
the fiddly bits.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Vir Campestris" wrote in message
o.uk...
... the ones with all the wood bits between the panes. The main frame
strips fine with a heat gun, but I'm nervous of using it too near the
glass. And the paint does all have to come off - it's peeling in patches.
What's the easiest way to get it off? IIRC methylene chloride paint
stripper can't be bought any more.

Andy

Shave hook.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-5.../dp/B000LFVEGS

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/08/2014 20:49, Tim Watts wrote:
On 27/08/14 18:32, Nightjar "cpb"@ insert my surname here wrote:
On 27/08/2014 16:35, Vir Campestris wrote:
... the ones with all the wood bits between the panes. The main frame
strips fine with a heat gun, but I'm nervous of using it too near the
glass. And the paint does all have to come off - it's peeling in
patches. What's the easiest way to get it off? IIRC methylene chloride
paint stripper can't be bought any more.

I've done it with a gas blowlamp and a sheet of aluminium as a heat
deflector with the edge held against the putty and angled slightly away
from the glass. As you need one hand for the blowlamp and one for the
scraper, you really need a second person to hold the heat deflector.

A "george" is the fancy version of your bit of ali - and it works (with
reasonable care). Not sure if it's still sold as a tool.

I thought a George was for masking when painting. Never though of it as
a heat shield.

My dad used to have an infra red electric stripper - a red hot element.
It was slow compared to a blowtorch or hot air gun but the theory was
that the IR tended not to heat the glass so it was moderately safe on
the fiddly bits.

Never come across one of those. I grew up with paraffin blow lamps as
the only option. You did, however, need to be very careful with them and
they were not very adjustable. The big advantage of my gas blowlamp is
that I can have a wide range of nozzles, for various different jobs.

http://www.gasproducts.co.uk/acatalo...Burners_1.html

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

/Vir Campestris
.... the ones with all the wood bits between the panes. The main frame
strips fine with a heat gun, but I'm nervous of using it too near the
glass. And the paint does all have to come off - it's peeling in
patches. What's the easiest way to get it off? IIRC methylene chloride
paint stripper can't be bought any more. /q

EBay item number:12093401049

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/08/14 19:56, Nightjar "cpb"@ insert my surname here wrote:
[...]

Actually you are right now I recall back 30 years.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/08/2014 20:49, Tim Watts wrote:

A "george" is the fancy version of your bit of ali - and it works (with
reasonable care). Not sure if it's still sold as a tool.

Never heard of it being used in stripping.

Didn't know it was a specific tool have used any old bit of bent
sheet as a "George".

Is "George" a trade name that has passed into general use (generic), a
bit like Hoover for vacuum cleaner?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/08/2014 07:59, harryagain wrote:
"Vir Campestris" wrote in message
o.uk...
... the ones with all the wood bits between the panes. The main frame
strips fine with a heat gun, but I'm nervous of using it too near the
glass. And the paint does all have to come off - it's peeling in patches.
What's the easiest way to get it off? IIRC methylene chloride paint
stripper can't be bought any more.

Andy

Shave hook
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-5.../dp/B000LFVEGS

Fine if you can sharpen it every five minutes. If not, use "clean cut"
6mm glass
Posted to uk.d-i-y

/
Fine if you can sharpen it every five minutes. If not, use "clean cut"
6mm glass/q

Go on then, how does "clean cut" glass help you strip paint from its' surrounding frame?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/08/2014 09:41, stuart noble wrote:
On 28/08/2014 07:59, harryagain wrote:
"Vir Campestris" wrote in message
o.uk...
... the ones with all the wood bits between the panes. The main frame
strips fine with a heat gun, but I'm nervous of using it too near the
glass. And the paint does all have to come off - it's peeling in
patches.
What's the easiest way to get it off? IIRC methylene chloride paint
stripper can't be bought any more.

Andy

Shave hook
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-5.../dp/B000LFVEGS

Fine if you can sharpen it every five minutes. If not, use "clean cut"
6mm glass

It would never have occurred to me to use a shave hook without first
having softened the paint with a blow torch. Then it doesn't need
sharpening, but you do occasionally need to remove accumulated paint.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/08/2014 10:36, JimK wrote:
/
Fine if you can sharpen it every five minutes. If not, use "clean cut"
6mm glass/q

Go on then, how does "clean cut" glass help you strip paint from its' surrounding frame?

Jim K

You can't figure that out? Pulled towards you at an angle of 45 degs,
paint will normally flake off at a rate of knots without damaging the
wood. When it's blunt you have 7 more edges.
Get the glazier to cut 50 or so 4" x 2" pieces. Important that these are
carefully ("clean") cut from 6mm glass. Handy things to have around

Posted to uk.d-i-y

/You can't figure that out? Pulled towards you at an angle of 45 degs,
paint will normally flake off at a rate of knots without damaging the
wood. When it's blunt you have 7 more edges.
Get the glazier to cut 50 or so 4" x 2" pieces. Important that these are
carefully ("clean") cut from 6mm glass. Handy things to have around /q

Nope never heard of that one.
Define 'clean cut' again would you?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/08/2014 18:27, JimK wrote:
/You can't figure that out? Pulled towards you at an angle of 45 degs,
paint will normally flake off at a rate of knots without damaging the
wood. When it's blunt you have 7 more edges.
Get the glazier to cut 50 or so 4" x 2" pieces. Important that these are
carefully ("clean") cut from 6mm glass. Handy things to have around /q

Nope never heard of that one.
Define 'clean cut' again would you?

Jim K

The difference between a pro cut and you gouging the surface with a
cheap tungsten cutter. The quality of the edge is important in this
instance
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , stuart noble
writes

You can't figure that out? Pulled towards you at an angle of 45 degs,
paint will normally flake off at a rate of knots without damaging the
wood. When it's blunt you have 7 more edges.
Get the glazier to cut 50 or so 4" x 2" pieces. Important that these
are carefully ("clean") cut from 6mm glass. Handy things to have around

Popular with Minor Traveller owners, when revarnishing the wood.

--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/08/2014 20:32, News wrote:
In message , stuart noble
writes

You can't figure that out? Pulled towards you at an angle of 45 degs,
paint will normally flake off at a rate of knots without damaging the
wood. When it's blunt you have 7 more edges.
Get the glazier to cut 50 or so 4" x 2" pieces. Important that these
are carefully ("clean") cut from 6mm glass. Handy things to have around

Popular with Minor Traveller owners, when revarnishing the wood.

Polishers use steel cabinet scrapers, which come in various shapes and
sizes to accommodate mouldings. The game is to remove as much as you can
with a sharp edge, and only use chemicals to clean up the residue.
I've stripped 90% of a painted door that way. Tough on the arm muscles
but at least you only need a dustpan and brush to clear up.
Sanding is of limited use with a lot of traditional finishes which
immediately melt on to the abrasive. Fine for polyurethane and other
modern finishes though.

Repainting corroded (but good!) DG windows John L UK diy 0 March 19th 10 09:10 PM
re-painting French-style windows Jules[_2_] UK diy 145 July 26th 09 09:22 AM
Repainting wooden frame windows gee-dub Home Repair 4 June 1st 08 10:47 PM
Georgian Window Beads sadsjon UK diy 1 May 2nd 08 02:28 PM
Are old Style Velux windows compatible with today's flashing kits? TF UK diy 3 August 17th 04 05:43 PM